“Great time! Really different from other places I've been.”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #73 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Montreal, QC
“Great time! Really different from other places I've been.”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I went with a friend in April 2011 and had a great time. I would definitely go back - especially with my kids and hubby.

Positive/Pros:
Food: Food was varied and good, nothing bad, but nothing especially memorable.

Activities & entertainment: great selection of activities on the resort - loved the animation! The Animators are lovely and lively! So much fun to see them do their thing. Shows at night were better than some I've seen elsewhere. Great selection of excursions outside the resort - gotta love Mexico for that! We took two excursions: zip-lining through the forest with swimming in the Cenotes, and the second was a trip to Xcaret the huge zoo/waterpark. It is offered at a discount to those who stay at the hotel and is walking distance/connected to the hotel. Awesome things to see and do at Xcaret.

Service/staff: we had a positive experience with the staff being friendly, courteous and accommodating.

Grounds: the grounds are beautiful and unique. Lots of open air (but that's a negative when it rains - lots of water buildup and potentially dangerous. The other negative about the open space and river is that you have to be very vigilant with your toddlers!)
The hotel is constructed around a lush jungle/forest so much of the natural vegetation is there and on the hotel map, there are spots which indicate where u can see different native wildlife - monkeys, parakeets, etc. snaking through the resort is a man-made river

Negative/cons:
There's no natural beach, just a small man-made u-circle constructed beach. It wasn't crowded when we went but u can see it being problematic. The multiple day beds /hammocks were a nice touch though :)

All in all a very good trip with lots to see and do!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Elena P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,762)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Having not experienced an all inclusive before I was totally blown away by this resort. It was beyond fantastic!!! Can not think of one thing that would get a negative review. The resort staff are amazing, the grounds are incredibly beautiful, the food was so delicious and the restaurant staff were so attentive and helpful. I can't say enough good things about this resort- it was the absolute best vacation I have ever had and I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Shelley J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2014

As other reviewers have said, I was nervous about our stay here having read so many bad reviews - but I think that many of them are unfair. It is true that this is not the place for you if you are looking for a large beach & also if you don't like walking (although the shuttle bus service looked quite frequent) - but if you are looking for a good, all-inclusive break I can't fault the resort. The service was really efficient & very friendly - the staff seem happy to be working here & are always keen to share a joke. The food was good - both in the a la carte & in the buffet - large choice & very fresh & tasty - especially the salads & the fresh fruit.

The setting is beautiful - lots of greenery, some Mayan ruins & the remains of an old chapel & the wildlife abundent (birds, racoons, iguanas & a large rodent creature whose name I forget). There are also deer & flamingos in pens, although personally I'd rather these were free.

We did not not have any problems with attempts to sell time share & we didn't have any problems with the reception desk (although we did get horribly lost when we arrived at midnight - it would have been good to have been shown to our room)

A couple of things to note - if you want to tip with 1 dollar notes be sure to bring them with you - the reception desk are not able to change large notes for smaller ones. Also, the hotel shops are very expensive - I had to buy some Immodium & it was ridiculously expensive - be sure to bring this sort of thing from home.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel S
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This is our 3rd time to Mexico, and in comparison to our other places we have stayed at (which were cheaper and more beautiful), we will never return to this resort again, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. The Xcaret Park is beautiful, but go there for the day, do not stay at this resort just because of it. Upon arriving there was so called slushy drinks with cups at the front, which you could help yourself to...but be careful, as the dirty cups and clean cups are all mixed in together. Next comes the rooms...they are very small, and the patio doors don't lock! The cleanliness in the buildings was ridiculous! There was dishes, and glasses all over, and the ashtrays were overfilled with cigarette butts. The steps going up to the 3rd floor in the building we stayed in were also very slippery, it was not hard to slip anywhere in that resort, as there was lots of puddles and wet stairs all over. In the building we were at, there were map signs suppose to be hanging on the walls...they were missing. The little quick fix jobs maintenance seemed to do was to tape the glass back together on the fire extinguisher cabinet, the direction signs in hallways were falling off the wall, there was holes, chunks out of the ceilings, and no covers on the electrical plugs! If you would like to visit a dark resort, this is the place to definitely go. You can take a long dark hike to your building...as the plastic light covers down the pathways were half burnt out, and not secured down. Now if you thought of coming here to swim at the beautiful lagoon beach, be sure to bring your own chair...there's very limited space for everyone here. And hope it doesn't rain as well, like it did to us because our room was to have an umbrella and no such thing! The front desk doesn't supply enough umbrella's for each room. Yet it was very funny how some guests in the same room had 2 of them! Not nice. Let's talk restaurants now...for a 4 star resort, at least they could have had is glasses that aren't chipped or broken, and that was in an a la carte restaurant! We also got served a cappuccino at the buffet with someone else's lipstick on the side of the cup! Very dirty place we thought. And to top it off... the restaurants didn't do such a fine job of cooking, when I got my chicken the bottom was literally black. I think that just about covers all I really have to say about this place, oh yeah one more thing....take a taxi to playa de Carmen (you may have more fun there, than at this resort! we did!)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank time_to_fly04
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Time_to_fly04,

First of all thank you for choosing our Occidental Grand Xcaret as your holiday place and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are always concerned about our guests’ wellbeing and strive to make their holiday at our property an unforgettable experience.

We do apologize for any inconvenience you might have encountered during your stay with us. One of the main goals of our respective teams in all departments is to work on a daily basis to constantly improve our services and guest satisfaction, thus your comments are taken in earnest.

We appreciate your interest and comments, as it is our wish to excel in every aspect of our operation and this can only be accomplished by correcting the deficiencies which are brought to our attention through your positive and constructive comments.

Regards,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel. The first, 8 years ago, fell right after a major hurricane, so any glitches were easily excused and the hotel grounds were so lovely, we were very happy with our stay. This vacation, the hotel grounds are even more lush and beautiful, the pools are terrific and well cared for, the small beach (it's a rocky part of the coast with heavy waves--the hotel has a small beach in a protected lagoon) was very pretty and well appointed, the restaurant food was quite good. My family has diverse needs: my mother-in-law in a wheelchair, my teenage daughter wants to sleep late, my husband and I want relaxation and sun; so the all-inclusive resort suits us well. We all enjoyed the diversity of the food, the friendliness of the staff, and the ability to dine when and where we wished. The Italian speciality restaurant was a pleasant surprise; the quality of the food was very high. So we had a very nice week. But...the hotel management is a mess. I'll just give a few details because our experience echoes what other reviewers have said: 1. the desk clerks were entirely confused by my paying for both rooms with one credit card and that one room reservation was mistakenly made for an extra day; after an hour of waiting while different staff members discussed and telephoned, I left and had dinner with my family, then returned after midnight to sign the receipts. There was no apology for this sillliness. 2. Midweek, the elevator from our third floor rooms was broken--it was the only elevator for the wing. My mother-in-law cannot climb stairs (I had requested a ground floor room); resolving this situation and moving her to a handicapped room on a lower floor took several hours and the personal presence of the manager. The manager was very helpful but only appeared after a major protest by my husband; the front desk staff was entirely helpless and disorganized. 3. When I made the reservations through the hotel website I purchased four tickets to swim with the dolphins at Xcaret park; but the hotel was unable to deliver our tickets. After being sent from person to person and desk to desk, I bought new tickets--then spent four hours getting a refund for my original purchase from the hotel. This was frustrating and a colossal nuisance. So, in sum, I am left with mixed feelings.

Room Tip: Disabled travellers should demand ground floor rooms because the elevators are unreliable. The grou...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Heliodorus
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We've been coming back to this resort for 9 years and always have an enjoyable stay. The food is good, the rooms are spacious and the grounds are clean. It's nice to see the staff turn over isn't high and we enjoy seeing familiar faces.

Jose at the front desk is attentive and was able to smooth over a tiny hiccup. I recommend staying at the Royal Club or upgrading to a suite.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Royal Club or the preference suite. Any of the buildings are good.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joyce C
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We travelled to this resort 3 years ago, so i know this review is a bit late, but are heading there again this coming April and bringing along 6 of our friends.. As i'm sure everyone else does we read the reviews before we leave and i can't believe all the complaining over such little things.. I mean here you are heading on vacation at great value, all you can eat and drink.. A missing tile here and there, some walking, no straws ect.. Relax and Enjoy!!

Check In - We arrived close to Midnight after small Delay leaving Airport, went smooth as can be..No Issues.. Pacos Tacos was still open and cooked us up some great food and Delicious Drinks!

Rooms - Nice Large room, Very Clean, large King size bed.. Balcony overlooking the Jungle and Xcaret Park which was awesome.. Beds were firm but we asked for a Pillow top and had one brought up to us that day..

Beach - It is a man made Beach.. not a long Sandy beach you can walk every day but a lagoon style Beach which we thought was great..lots fish for snorkelling.. very calm and no huge waves..

Pool - Huge pools.. we mainly stayed at one pool didn't head over to the party Pool.. Which we were fine with.. they were doing maintenance on the swim up Bar the week we were there..

Adults Only Pool - Is salt water and located by the Beach Buffet - Over looking the Ocean.. Very nice!

Food - We had no complaints at all.. We ate pretty much everything and did not get sick.. Remember people it is Buffet food, it's not going to be perfect all the time.. Beach Buffet had an amazing breakfast.. We did 4 a la cartes - all had great food.. Steakhouse and Mexican were my 2 favorite.. My girlfriends steak was a bit under cooked but she asked to have it cooked bit more and they were more than happy to accomadate her..

Drinks - Plenty of choices to choose from and from teh reviews i have read lately they do have Premium Brands including Crown Royal! Bring your Bubba Mug and they will fill it up for you!

Grounds - Amazing.. You are set up in the middle of the Jungle.. It's not your normal resort Setting and that what we liked about it so much.. walking though small trails, wooden bridges and noting but the jungle around you.. Wildlife Everywhere... Tones of Large Iguana's.. There are also some Mayan Ruins on the resort.. Very cool to see.. Workers are constantly working to keep things looking great

Resort - VERY large.. We actually didn't see half the resort, which now we are kicking ourselves about... But not next time.. We will be well prepared to see everything..

Lobby - Again very nice, water running thoughout resort and lobby's..very nice atmosphere.. Probably the nicest looking lobby area i've seen and i have been south Several times..

Staff - Are great and willing to help whenever needed.. A small tip goes along way.. there is staff trying to sell time shares but a quick no thank you is all that is needed...You see this at Every resort..

Loungers - Yes it is right you do need to be up and at it early to get a Lounger.. People do place towels, books, ect and leave..But again, you see this at every resort even when there are a tone of loungers available.. it didn't bother us much.. we were up by 7 most morning anyway..

Excurtions - We have done Xplor which i would recomend to anyone.. it truly is a great time..Zip Lining - Cave Swimking - Gator Rides though Jungle.. And also the scuba diving which they can offer you at resort.. The do some quick training in the pool and then you are off the next day or that afternoon. small van ride to beach in playa Del Carmen then small boat ride to your dive site.. Amazing and would recommend that to anyone as well..

So to sum things up this resort i would recommend to Anyone! Don't sweat the small stuff people and you will have an Amazing Time!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#104 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Occidental at Xcaret Destination? Share your experiences!