I went with a friend in April 2011 and had a great time. I would definitely go back - especially with my kids and hubby.
Food: Food was varied and good, nothing bad, but nothing especially memorable.
Activities & entertainment: great selection of activities on the resort - loved the animation! The Animators are lovely and lively! So much fun to see them do their thing. Shows at night were better than some I've seen elsewhere. Great selection of excursions outside the resort - gotta love Mexico for that! We took two excursions: zip-lining through the forest with swimming in the Cenotes, and the second was a trip to Xcaret the huge zoo/waterpark. It is offered at a discount to those who stay at the hotel and is walking distance/connected to the hotel. Awesome things to see and do at Xcaret.
Service/staff: we had a positive experience with the staff being friendly, courteous and accommodating.
Grounds: the grounds are beautiful and unique. Lots of open air (but that's a negative when it rains - lots of water buildup and potentially dangerous. The other negative about the open space and river is that you have to be very vigilant with your toddlers!)
The hotel is constructed around a lush jungle/forest so much of the natural vegetation is there and on the hotel map, there are spots which indicate where u can see different native wildlife - monkeys, parakeets, etc. snaking through the resort is a man-made river
There's no natural beach, just a small man-made u-circle constructed beach. It wasn't crowded when we went but u can see it being problematic. The multiple day beds /hammocks were a nice touch though :)
All in all a very good trip with lots to see and do!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Occidental at Xcaret Destination in Riviera Maya is a perfect combination in a natural setting with preserved cultural landmarks and an all-inclusive resort with a unique array of rooms, services, and state-of-the-art facilities. Choosing among the many possible activities is the most complicated part of a stay at this resort in Playa del Carmen. Swimming with dolphins, attending a Mayan Indian ceremony, enjoying all types of water sports at the beach club or sailing down the beautiful rivers and canals that surround the hotel are just a few highlights. The Xcaret eco-archeological park offers one of the most unique and exciting park, especially for families, by guaranteeing over 40 cultural attractions and expositions on art and traditions in Mexico. However, as people normally say at the hotel: "Do it all...or simply do nothing." Choose from a list of diverse activities such as strolling through the lush gardens at the resort, enjoying the sun while lying on a hammock, or taking a refreshing swim in one of the resort's five pools or private beach. Anti-stress remedies at the resort are endless. Regardless of how you plan each day at the resort, the hotel's choice of culinary selections is designed to satisfy the demands of every kind of guest. With 10 bars, including the one at the club, and 11 restaurants, guests have the freedom to choose a snack, an informal meal, a gourmet feast or a candlelight dinner, among many other options. The key to this resort is balancing between modern facilities and the marvelous Mexican rainforest that is filled with stunning local wildlife. Entertainment, relaxation and nature coexist at the Occidental at Xcaret Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Barcelo, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Occidental at Xcaret Destination reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret