“Great Resort.......”

Ranked #74 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
St. Catharines, Canada
“Great Resort.......”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I spent 10 days in November 2013. We really enjoyed a lot of things on this resort. There were some things that needed improvement but I will get to that. We really loved the beach area....the water was nice and calm because it was an inlet and there was a bar, washrooms and lunch buffet right there. We also loved all the different pool areas for the same reasons. Every area you were at there was a lunch buffet. So although the resort is quite spread out, you never need to leave your immediate area for anything. The shuttles make it very simple to get around if you need to. They are constantly running. The food was varied and good enough that we didn't even book any restaurants. We ate at the buffet every night but right at the end of our 10 days, it was becoming a little repetitive (our own fault). The resort made it easy to get into Playa del Carmen for a day of exploring on our own. The shows on site were good. We never had an issue with our room being clean. The staff is very friendly and everyone says "ola". We really appreciated that they served top shelf liquor (yay) however this is where I have a suggestion to resort......I was very much looking forward to having a couple of Corona on the beach in Mexico and nowhere could I find one on the resort......the only beer they had was Dos Equis (spelled wrong I am sure) light or dark on tap......it wasn't totally horrible beer but it wasn't Corona. Another suggestion I have is that you should have a latte, cappuccino bar that is included. Right now, you can only get coffee from one little shop in the lobby and you have to pay for it. If the buffets were open you could get a coffee from in there but if not, you have to purchase it in the lobby. This isn't a huge issue, just a personal thing as really enjoy a latte after dinner out in the open air. One other suggestion, is that they should put screens on their patios. I would have loved to have left my patio door open at night to listen to the monkeys and such but we couldn't. Theses are just little things and would not impact my decision to go back to this resort...in fact, my husband and I are returning next November for a family wedding and we are looking forward to it!!!!

6 Thank Barb A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,745)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed thanksgiving week. Have stayed at many AE resorts in cancun area. Found the service to be very good, one night slow dinner service due to wedding. No big deal. Booked trough American Airlines vacation, they had specialty restaurant reservations at 730 each night booked when we arrived. Did not have a bad meal. Wife and I usually stay at adult only properties, but wanted to see Xcaret. Had a blast at the Eco park 2 days. Rented a car and took trip to Coba and Tulum. Fantastic. Concierge/timeshare hawkers were annoying (1 or 2 at each building), we were polite saying "no thanks". I explained we wouldn't return to this resort unless it was a family trip. Overall just a real fun time. One note, used my credit card twice, at check in (for room incidentals) and at Xcaret park for couples massage. One week after returning home an attempted charge of $7000 United airlines vacation was realized on acct. Card had to be cancelled.

6 Thank trvlnut21
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I booked a 7 day vacation and because it is in the Mayan we expected a beach. Nope, no beach. Some might call it a beach, but honestly, for the Mayan, a man made beach that small is not what a person expects.

The food was horrible. The buffets had the same food every day. And it wasn't that good.

It is a resort that is timeshare based so expect to be bugged constantly. Every time I went to my room there was a guy sitting at his desk wanting to know my room number, telling me that he needs to know where I am and where I am going. Very annoying!!!!!

The rooms were cleaned, however the maid service confused me. We gave them $4 a day and had beautiful rose petals on our bed, so we decided to give $6 and got nothing! They didn't even give us extra water! Oh and the fridge is only replenished every second day.

We will NEVER return to this resort!

3 Thank Coral2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I loved this resort. It was amazing. I had a great time. Beach was clean and beautiful. Food was great. Rooms were clean. I would definitely coma back. Beautiful trees inside the resort and beautiful path that takes you to the beach.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Maria R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I had booked this holiday back in Nov for 14 nights but only stayed 4 it was that bad, there plus the weather was really monsoon.
We were unable to book a preferred time to eat in the evening until after 5 nights they were all 9 to 9.30..... so we had to use the buffet area which was much the same most days but in fairness was quite a good standard.
The rooms are basic but clean but the towels are very worn and tired.
I have waited this long to write the review as friends were out there for the Festive Season they have returned with the same opinion.
So go all that way would be a big disappointment to any couple or Family. There are no lounge bars to sat at in comfort and the so called Lobby bar if it rains you get soaked.
Also when we left they did not even ask why we wanted to leave after only 4 nights.......which is really bad front desk policy......so really think before you book this all inclusive hotel.

Room Tip: To be honest the rooms were tired and even leaked in water when it rained so unable to help on this...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dodgyted
Crowley, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We chose this resort because it was next door to Xcaret Park and were very pleased with it. We immediately noticed that all the employees were much friendlier to us than at any other resort we've ever visited. We stayed in a junior suite, which was spacious and quite nice. The resort is huge and spread out, so you get plenty of exercise. The grounds are beautifully maintained, and macaws are brought over each day from Xcaret. There are many nice pools, three of which are interconnected. Each building has a concierge, and ours (Alex) was very helpful. We mentioned after our first night that our bed was a little hard, and he had housekeeping put a foam pad on it. He talked us into their "vacation club" presentation, which took 2 1/2 hours instead of the promised 90 minutes. We wouldn't do that again! We were pretty disappointed in the food and service in the buffet. We had our first wienie pizza at one of the snack bars. Our four-night stay only earned two nights in the specialty restaurants, which were both good (Asian and seafood). Be sure to make those reservations immediately after check-in, because they book up quickly. We're not big beach people, but the very small, man-made beach would disappoint someone who was. It's in a cove, and the water enters it through an opening in a rock jetty, so the open ocean is mostly obscured. We were disappointed to learn that there was no Wi-Fi in the rooms and that they charge $5.00 for 30 minutes in the business center, which has limited hours. After we checked out on our last day, we learned that our flight home was cancelled. The resort was full, so Alex, a customer service rep located in the lobby, spent a very long time helping us to find another hotel and letting us use his computer and Wi-Fi to research them. In spite of the few negatives, we really enjoyed this hotel and would recommend it to friends as long as they knew of these. We had fun at Xcaret Park but liked Xplore Park (next door on the other side) even more! Try both!

Room Tip: Most restaurants are near each other in one area, so request a room near the lobby if you have troub...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Donna O
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

After reading reviews my wife and I wondered what we would find here, and were very pleased with the experience. Transfer from the airport was good and check in went smoothly with a clear explanation of our plan and the benefits. We were housed in Building 19 on the 3rd floor and while the absence of an elevator was tough for my wife's knees the room was very clean with good, quiet air conditioning. We didn't find any slippers (but had brought our own) but enjoyed the robe and the extra towels. The building is right beside the pool which had both sunny and shady spots for relaxing with a book or being in the water. There was also a swim up bar and an excellent snack bar there where we ate lunch most days as the menu and service was superior.

Talking of food, we found breakfast at the Beach Hut to be the best - lovely views, breeze off the ocean, uncrowded and super service from our waiter Leo. Le Buffet we found disappointing and crowded and never ate there again after our first day. We reserved at 3 restaurants and the concierge was great at helping with this. Los Olivos was disappointing; La Hacienda was excellent and so was the Sonoma Steak House. We also ate at Paco's Tacos but the portions were definitely intended as snacks not a "real meal" - my grandson (age 13) wanted to know when his main course was coming.

Service all around was friendly and most of the folks spoke pretty good English. If you want hot tea make sure to ask for "muy caliente" or the water will be warm at best. The Spanish house wine was quite palatable and I enjoyed my Dos Equos Amber beer.

We also purchased the Xcaret Experience unlimited pass and it was definitely worth the money to be able to go in for half days and come back for food on the resort. There is a lot of walking in Xcaret so half a day was enough for my wife and I each time. As a non-swimmer I was excited to try the Sea Trek experience and enjoyed it very much.

On the downside - and there is always something upon which to comment - we had one day of torrential rain while in Xcaret but found shelter in several spots and the folks were friendly and helpful. I was surprised that we were expected to make one shower sponge and one bar of soap last the whole week. It was also hard to get away from the "activities" both in the pool and at the beach, not to mention the loud and quite repetitive kid's show every evening. Finally, this hotel needs to move into the 21st century and offer free Wi-Fi to its guests. $11 for one hour of spotty Wi-Fi was usurious and the single lap top available at the reception desk for free use was old and slow when we used it to confirm our flights and check in for departure.

Overall a good experience and a wonderful family Christmas week with our son, daughter in law and two grandsons. Worth a second visit for sure.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,315 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,118 reviews

Been to Occidental at Xcaret Destination? Share your experiences!