I have been going to Mexico, Cancun area for over 20 years. This was my 12th time there and first time at this property.
The grounds are enormous and there is so much to see and do right there but the best part is the snorkeling that is available to you with out an additional fee.
About 20 years ago, a local guy took my husband and I on a day trip and we walked along the rocky shore from a sand road to the very bay this hotel is on now. I remember back then thinking what a paradise it would be one day if there was ever to be a hotel there. Although the beach area is not huge, it is amazing.
Right there, there are tons of fish of many varieties. We even saw an eel in the bay. The water in the bay is a bit blurred because of the streaming fresh water, but still an fantastic experience. For an even better experience, go the far end of the south side of the adult area, and there are step to walk into the ocean. You must have proper fins and mask and snorkel, you can not do this area without.
It was here that we did a ton of snorkeling and even had the amazing experience of large sea turtle that insistently swam with us one morning. It would come so close that a couple of times I got a bit nervous and had to push it away.
There are tons of things to see in those two bays rendering it unnecessary to pay for a snorkeling trip. I have been on many in the area, and for the savings....you see exactly the same.
As for the hotel and services, be sure to make dinner reservations at the lobby of the hotel as soon as you get there otherwise you are almost out of luck. They have four restaurants with different flare. I really liked the seafood one. El Diablo and also the Steak house. The other two were not as stunning. The Buffet at the main building in the evening is different every night nearly so some what interesting although not stunning.
The staff of the hotel are exceptional other than those that stalk guests to get them into a "timeshare" presentation. In my opinion, not worth giving up a good portion of one of your mornings for a fee pass, but hey.....your time.
The property boarders on the Xcaret park. The Xcaret Group owns the hotel, Xcaret, Xplore, Xenotes, and Xhelha and they sell them hard.
We have been to all of them. Before we left home this time we purchased the Xcaret unlimited pass for our entire stay and it was well worth it. There are two different entrances to Xcaret right from the Hotel property and we were back and forth many times taking in different shows and events. Between the hotel property, Xcaret and a day trip to Tulum and Coba, we rarely just sat on the beach during the 10 days that we were there.
Thanks to all the great staff that took care of us. I certainly loved this property more than any other I have ever stayed at and will most likely consider staying there again.
Jodie and Rand Smith of Calgary
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Occidental at Xcaret Destination in Riviera Maya is a perfect combination in a natural setting with preserved cultural landmarks and an all-inclusive resort with a unique array of rooms, services, and state-of-the-art facilities. Choosing among the many possible activities is the most complicated part of a stay at this resort in Playa del Carmen. Swimming with dolphins, attending a Mayan Indian ceremony, enjoying all types of water sports at the beach club or sailing down the beautiful rivers and canals that surround the hotel are just a few highlights. The Xcaret eco-archeological park offers one of the most unique and exciting park, especially for families, by guaranteeing over 40 cultural attractions and expositions on art and traditions in Mexico. However, as people normally say at the hotel: "Do it all...or simply do nothing." Choose from a list of diverse activities such as strolling through the lush gardens at the resort, enjoying the sun while lying on a hammock, or taking a refreshing swim in one of the resort's five pools or private beach. Anti-stress remedies at the resort are endless. Regardless of how you plan each day at the resort, the hotel's choice of culinary selections is designed to satisfy the demands of every kind of guest. With 10 bars, including the one at the club, and 11 restaurants, guests have the freedom to choose a snack, an informal meal, a gourmet feast or a candlelight dinner, among many other options. The key to this resort is balancing between modern facilities and the marvelous Mexican rainforest that is filled with stunning local wildlife. Entertainment, relaxation and nature coexist at the Occidental at Xcaret Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HRS, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental at Xcaret Destination reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret