“Amazing Hotel, amazing Virgin Rep and Location”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #72 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 24, 2013

On our arrival at the Occidental in the evening it was a big shock to see how far everything was from reception to beach, rooms (we had a junior suite) and bars etc, but on reflection of this hotel all i can say is amazing. Its set in a tropical rainforest with animals and birds just walking about the place which is unreal.

Our Virgin representative was amazing and did all to help out, we stood our ground on the first day to the concierge and rep that we were not interested in timeshares or spending several hours looking at them, I think we were a bit more stern with ours and they didnt hassle us, but as soon as someone who hadnt seen you saw you the pressure was on and again we told then not interested BIT TOO MUCH REALLY when trying to enjoy your holiday.

Resort is accessible by buggy which goes around the resort and stops everywhere but we walked most of the time, they provide umbrellas at the hotel be sure to carry it as it rained non stop for us. Even though it rained this was one of the most amazing hotel that we had the pleasure to stay at. A couple of things which stopped me from giving 5 star is there is no room service, the wifi is appalling and we paid for a week, you only get free wifi in the Royal Club. Most 5 star resorts have wifi and have room service facilities. This would not stop me from coming again.

Beach is beautiful and the team really do get u involved when they are out which makes good fun. Drinks were always strong and top shelf we were drinking Martel and Bombay Sapphire at the bars. Massage fabulous, restaurants wonderful, we used the Seafood restaurant and the Beach restaurant and both wonderful. The resort staff are the best I have seen the resort was spotless and they are always doing something, just amazing.

I know I will have missed loads out but this is a wonderful place and definitely a place to visit, Playa Del Carmen is a short ride away, lovely restaurants and beach and Coco Bongos is a must.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Choose a Junior Suite as the rooms have separate sitting area which is nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mit73
There are newer reviews for Occidental at Xcaret Destination

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had really rainy weather which ruined our trip a bit...water everywhere and very humid...the hotel is in the jungle! The food was really good and versatile both the buffet and a la carte. Staff was really nice and ready to help. Rooms nice, spacious and clean. The only thing that bothered me was the beach which would really use some renovation and cleaning. It looked like the tornado was there... I really like swimming in the sea...the whole idea of man made beach was nice....but the whole resort would benefit from the touch up. One more thing very important ...no free wifi..not even in the lobby of the hotel which really surprised me...

1  Thank Goca2013
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I booked this trip to the Occidental Grand Xcaret at sort of the last minute to join a couple of friends of mine. Booked through an online travel agency and paid about $1k for 4 nights, flight, and transportation to/from the airport. I stayed in my own room and upgraded to a Jr. Concierge Suite, so that seemed like a pretty good deal to me. It actually almost seemed too good to be true, so my expectations were somewhat low. We were 3 single 28-29 year old guys from New England in the USA.

Check-in was quick and easy, they'll take your bags and walk you to your room. The place is a jungle for sure.

My room was definitely a little larger than the room my other friends stayed in, but I don't think there was a lot of value in the upgrade. They gave me coupons for 10% off a massage and free 30 minutes of internet in the business center as well, but I didn't use either. Because of the layout of my room, I couldn't see the TV from my bed which was a little annoying, but I didn't spend much time in my room anyway. There were also little ants and some spiders in the room, but that doesn't bother me too much. The king-sized bed was clean, but not the most comfortable. That's pretty much all there is to say about the rooms - they aren't going to wow you but if you're spending that much time in your room you probably shouldn't be on a Caribbean vacation.

The grounds are HUGE. Lots of large lizards and some other animal that seemed like a hybrid monkey/racoon creature. They don't bother the guests at all but it can be a little shocking to all of a sudden see a 2 foot long lizard scurrying away from you. There are trees and plants everywhere. You'll see some old ruins around there as well.

The pools are the best part - the swim-up bar is really nice and there are several impressively large pools.

The beach area is nice, but it's not really a beach at all. It's just a man-made cove. We chose to spend most of our time at the pools. We were only there for a weekend, so we didn't do any of the adventures like Xplore. The people we talked to who did said it was a pretty good time, for whatever that's worth.

The food was also alright. We ate at the Italian restaurant one night, and the rest of the time we ate at the buffet or the snack shack by the pool. The buffet was a lot better at night than in the morning. The portions were small at the Italian place, but you can order as much as you want so that doesn't matter.

The staff was generally pretty good - our concierge wasn't very helpful but we also met some staff who were. Lorenzo at the snack shack was awesome and we tipped him accordingly. There was also a fun waiter at the late night food place (pizza and tacos) whose name I can't remember. The guys and gal at the Fun Club were great also.

There were a lot of events going on. During the day, the staff is always getting people involved in volleyball and water polo and other water games like that. The rest of the guests weren't shy about getting involved either, which made for some pretty good times. We met loads of English people, some Canadians, other Americans and of course Mexicans. There are some events going on at night that are mostly family oriented.

If you like to drink, this is the place for you. There are bars everywhere and they're always ready with new drinks before your other is finished. The night-life was pretty lame on its own actually, but we met some other likeminded individuals and we always had a good time at night. You'll get well drinks if you don't ask for the good stuff, so keep that in mind. I went to the dance club twice and both times we were the only ones there (usually like 5-6 of us). We were told the night-life is much better in the "downtown" of Playa del Carmen, so I would look into that if that's what you're into. Personally, I never made it there. A friend we met there had some stuff stolen in the downtown, but in general I think it was pretty safe.

We didn't get hit with the timeshare pitch because that was targeted at couples, so I can't comment on that. Other guests seem pretty off-put by it, but someone mentioned you get free passes to Xplore for sitting through it, and those are $100 USD a pop.

All in all, I'd give it 4 stars. The rooms are 3 star, the grounds are 4 star and the value is 4-5 star as well. The other guests we met there were 5 star for sure, and because of that we had an excellent trip (I stayed 5 days/4 nights).

Room Tip: You gotta pay for the upgrades if you want a nicer room. The Royal Club looked pretty nice, but we w...
3  Thank Jeffrey N
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have travelled to all inclusive resorts yearly for the last 20 years and I have yet to encounter this.Many employees pressured us to go on a complimentary tour of their vacation club.This was quite bothersome to say the least.
The meals were great,drinks great,room adequate
There was no need for this pressure
I make it a point never to go back to the same resort so timeshares don't interest me

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brent M
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of a rainforest and is excellent to have a very relaxing experience. Although it rained for most of our stay, we enjoyed the hotel, Playa del Carmen shopping, Cozumel, Cancun and our husbands even got to go golfing! The beach is a cove but very enjoyable because is just guests and you don't have to deal with hordes of people like in Cancun. The manager on Duty, Rebecca Nunez, made sure that all our needs were taken care of; she made sure we had our restaurant reservations, that our rooms were taken care of, that we had everything we needed, in fact, she went out of her way to make our stay a fantastic one. In fact, we are going back next year!

4  Thank drivebelt
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Went to a wedding in this resort.. top class friendly staff and nice and big resort with loads of pools and bars... down fall was the man made beach.. everything else top class

they did some job on the wedding best wedding I was ever at and the location were they got married was unreal.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank deckie12
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had plenty of rain while we were there this time because of storm around area.We still had a great time and enjoyed everything about this place. This was are 4th time here and have allways brought new and old friends with us who also fell in love with the service food and friendly people who work there. This hotel is for a very relaxing place to vist and lay back .
Price was great. Will go back very soon again. We enjoyed surrounding citys as well.

2  Thank Dan H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#39 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Occidental at Xcaret Destination? Share your experiences!