On our arrival at the Occidental in the evening it was a big shock to see how far everything was from reception to beach, rooms (we had a junior suite) and bars etc, but on reflection of this hotel all i can say is amazing. Its set in a tropical rainforest with animals and birds just walking about the place which is unreal.
Our Virgin representative was amazing and did all to help out, we stood our ground on the first day to the concierge and rep that we were not interested in timeshares or spending several hours looking at them, I think we were a bit more stern with ours and they didnt hassle us, but as soon as someone who hadnt seen you saw you the pressure was on and again we told then not interested BIT TOO MUCH REALLY when trying to enjoy your holiday.
Resort is accessible by buggy which goes around the resort and stops everywhere but we walked most of the time, they provide umbrellas at the hotel be sure to carry it as it rained non stop for us. Even though it rained this was one of the most amazing hotel that we had the pleasure to stay at. A couple of things which stopped me from giving 5 star is there is no room service, the wifi is appalling and we paid for a week, you only get free wifi in the Royal Club. Most 5 star resorts have wifi and have room service facilities. This would not stop me from coming again.
Beach is beautiful and the team really do get u involved when they are out which makes good fun. Drinks were always strong and top shelf we were drinking Martel and Bombay Sapphire at the bars. Massage fabulous, restaurants wonderful, we used the Seafood restaurant and the Beach restaurant and both wonderful. The resort staff are the best I have seen the resort was spotless and they are always doing something, just amazing.
I know I will have missed loads out but this is a wonderful place and definitely a place to visit, Playa Del Carmen is a short ride away, lovely restaurants and beach and Coco Bongos is a must.
Hope this helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Occidental at Xcaret Destination in Riviera Maya is a perfect combination in a natural setting with preserved cultural landmarks and an all-inclusive resort with a unique array of rooms, services, and state-of-the-art facilities. Choosing among the many possible activities is the most complicated part of a stay at this resort in Playa del Carmen. Swimming with dolphins, attending a Mayan Indian ceremony, enjoying all types of water sports at the beach club or sailing down the beautiful rivers and canals that surround the hotel are just a few highlights. The Xcaret eco-archeological park offers one of the most unique and exciting park, especially for families, by guaranteeing over 40 cultural attractions and expositions on art and traditions in Mexico. However, as people normally say at the hotel: "Do it all...or simply do nothing." Choose from a list of diverse activities such as strolling through the lush gardens at the resort, enjoying the sun while lying on a hammock, or taking a refreshing swim in one of the resort's five pools or private beach. Anti-stress remedies at the resort are endless. Regardless of how you plan each day at the resort, the hotel's choice of culinary selections is designed to satisfy the demands of every kind of guest. With 10 bars, including the one at the club, and 11 restaurants, guests have the freedom to choose a snack, an informal meal, a gourmet feast or a candlelight dinner, among many other options. The key to this resort is balancing between modern facilities and the marvelous Mexican rainforest that is filled with stunning local wildlife. Entertainment, relaxation and nature coexist at the Occidental at Xcaret Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Barcelo, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental at Xcaret Destination reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret