“Good! but could've been better”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #70 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed August 8, 2013

loved the grounds! beautiful hotel quiet. The Buffet restaurant by the Lobby is amazing! compared to others it had a lot of variety. I stayed in Bldg 16 which is closed to both the beach, pool and lobby. There are some trails with ruins. Loved the views. As other reviewers have stated the beach is pretty small but the entertainment there makes up for it and right behind the beach restaurant there is an adult only area for sunbathers. Love how you can walk trails in the hotel and see birds, etc. There are some litle huts by the shuttle stops where you'll get a welcome present and you can book the restaurant and excursions as well.let's start with the bad. I booked my reservation in the occidental website.According to the website I was paying for Xcaret extreme which allows unlimited access to the Xcaret park next door. I called twice before getting there to confirm and everything was fine. Once I arrived they had overbooked the hotel and that the reservation was just on hold. Please take note that if you book on their website "prices are subject to change" once you arrive. I was given a different price $10 dollars cheaper than the reservation due to exchange rate and told that I did not have the unlimited access. Btw once I got home my credit was overcharged by $40. I disputed it and they refunded me. After check-in we were sent to Blue Bay in Playa del Carmen for a night (transportation paid RT).Once I checked -in the next day at Occidental Xcaret I was compensated with 2 half hours massages at the spa. Great service. I stayed for four days. No complaints with the food, very relaxing place but if you are looking for some beach bumming time this is not your hotel. I do recommend it if you are doing excursions as it is very closed to many of the attractions. Tip: Book your Xcaret and Xplor experience on the Xcaret park entrances by the the beach restaurant and the entrance in the front of the hotel by following the river trail.

Room Tip: Do not book your reservation on their webiste, bldg 16 has easy access to everything.Book your Xcare...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Shisell99

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Although I have not visited yet, I arrive on 10th August, I have found the customer service so far absolutely fantastic and hope it continues on my stay. I had an issue with Virgin holidays with regard to some tickets to the Xcaret Park and Virgin were not quite sure how to deal with the issue. I thought maybe I should see if The hotel could help and within 6 hours a decision was made and the hotel has made me and my family so confident in the service to be that I had to write this review.
P.S. I never write reviews or compliment companies normally but in this instance I have.

Room Tip: Haven't been yet but will let you know for sure!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This resort was amazing overall. Me and my boyfriend went in the middle of February 2013 which is usually "spring breaker" time but there were next to no young people, we were among the youngest tourists there (mid twenties). It was perfect, was a more mature crowd/ family oriented resort so you didn't have the annoyance of young drunk kids. But don't get me wrong, it was a really fun atmosphere... and those bartenders DON'T cheap out when they make you a drink!!
The rooms were stunning.. they really went all out on the decor. The bathrooms were a gorgeous stone from floor to ceiling with beautiful furniture in the room.. and yes it was VERY clean!!
The beach is a bay which is still amazing because the fish get swept in and you are literally swimming among hundreds of fish within 5 steps into the water.
The buffet on the ocean is a MUST, breakfast and lunch is something you must experience. Hearing and smelling the ocean as you enjoy GREAT food is something I recommend.
Lastly, the staff was great. Friendly, attentive and seem to be happy. The only thing is as soon as you arrive some staff try to sell you time-shares. They don't tell you this right away and ask for 5 minutes of your time which turns into 3 hours.. I kid you not. Unless you want to buy in, say you're not interested right away.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shan O
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Asked for and got rooms that are refurbished in blocks 20, 21 with forest views.

Thanks trip advisor for the advice as there are some dodgy rooms on to the pool areas (never seem to close) and fun club is fun and noisy. Good when you want that and a pain when you don't!

The sea water pool beyond the beach bar is stunning and peaceful. The view over the Caribbean was top draw and the snorkelling is very good too. So good that day trip boats moor just off and paying punters get a look at the other side of the reef.

Sea food and steak restaurants are the best by far - but you have to book. Oriental restaurant is the lowest. Men must wear shoes and long trousers to the speciality restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank sandhurst1
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon/family holiday (as we have two young children) our room was dark and dingy and had mould all over the ceiling and all in the bathroom! You couldn't dry anything on the balcony as the sprinklers would flood it every night!
The staff seem to take really good care of the grounds and lobby's! But the rooms are awful we didn't see any of the pools being cleaned during our two week stay there full of dead flys cigarette butts and empty drinks from the drunks that like to sit in the pool n drink all day! Our daughter got an eye infection from the pool and my husband an ear infection!!

The Buffett food was appalling cold and always the same boring stuff the steak house and the oriental restaurant were amazing very good staff!

There was nowhere to sit on rainy days as everywhere is outside except the sports bar but u have to be over 18! There was the lobby bar but drinks didn't seem to be served there in the day plus it closes at 12am which to me was shocking for a holiday resort!!

The best part of our holiday was xal Hal this is a must beautiful place we also took our two children to swim with the dolphins at dolphin discovery they loved it!!

You couldn't just take a stroll out to anywhere as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere (which it didn't say in the brochure) so u have to get taxis which u get ripped off with and even then the only place to go is a shopping mall (who wants to go there on ur holiday??) but to us any time out of the resort was a bonus!!

We did have a massage which was lovely no very cheap though as ud expect on holiday!

We got absolutely eaten by the thousands of Mosquitos that are there it's AWFUL not even the sprays worked and you couldn't sit on your balcony as it was covered with them!

My husband was also very ill for the last 4 days so just had to stay in the room I can only think it was the food as a few other people we met there had also been ill and did not enjoy this holiday!!

I would defiantly not recommend this holiday it is the worst place I have ever been I have stayed in better 2*!! It only good for the Americans that just want to get drunk all day n cause arguments (which we saw a few times) awful awful time!!!

We haven't been home long but are already booking our next holiday as we feel we haven't had one!!!

Please don't be fooled by the lovely pictures of the resort like we were we could not wait to come home!

• Stayed: July 2013
ItzeSocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Elbell86,

We appreciate the time you took to sending us such a detail review, we are very glad to read you enjoyed the service provided for our staff at the Sonora Grill restaurant and D’oriental. Also the Tour to Xel Ha and the experience to swim with dolphins.

We sincerely sorry that your visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problems.

The issues that you had in your room are not at all typical of the standards of service and housekeeping that we provide to our guests, and we regret you’re disappointed. We regret that your room was not properly cleaned before your arrival we discussed this point with our Housekeeping management for a review and I assure you that we will take measures to correct it.
We work with an international high hygiene standards company Preverisk, which certified our cleanness standards. For guests security the pool receives maintenance when the guests are not using the facilities.

We are very concerned by your experience at the restaurants as we haven’t received any reports of guest falling ill at the hotel. We work with an internationally recognized food and quality standard company, which certifies that our food and beverages follow the international requirements of food hygiene and sanity. We also thoroughly test our food and water and have strict controls in place to ensure our guests’ safety. We shared your husband's experienced with the food and beverage manager to verify their procedures.
We understand about our entertainment options, this is our rainy season and we need to improve our indoors activities. Thank you for your comment. Currently our team is working on it.

Also note the summer at the Caribbean you can find different kinds of insects, we have a pest control constantly working, we suggest use repellent also, please remember Occidental Grand Xcaret is an ecological hotel and we strive to protect the environment and fauna in the hotel.

We sincerely hope you would give us the opportunity to welcome you back again in order to restore your trust and confident.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Actually travelled in July/Aug 2012. The hotel was very full. We kept being asked to move hotels but as we had so many trips booked it was too complicated.
Booked this hotel for the wildlife and were not disappointed as it seems you are in the middle of the jungle.
The pools were very hot, you cannot cool down and the main one has a very noisy bar and it is full of leaves. The beach is far better.
Our room was Ok but rather dark. Food in the beach restaurant was very good however the main restaurant was a bit bland. The steak house was good and so was the Mexican. Italian not so much as the waiters were a bit surly. One night my son was really sick so I went back to the room with him and my husband and other son went for dinner and had to literally beg to be able to bring some food back for me, he was told it was not allowed and only when he asked to speak to the resort manager was it ok for me to have a ham sandwich. There are many places to go and explore and I would recommend you do as many as you can as it was awesome. The park next door was fun but go early it got very busy. XE ha about 30 mins away was definitely the best park by far. Tulum beach is also a must, about an hour away. We also went and swam with the whale sharks up in Cancun, we booked this independently and the tour company were superb. We went into Carmen one night and the food was great. So if you want the jungle and animals and like the beach go here and go and explore what Mexico has to offer the places and people are amazing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank travelqueenred
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at the Royal last Dec. (2012). We did not feel Royal. We didn't even feel welcomed. I have waited to write this because I was soooooooooo disappointed. We had stayed at the OXG March 2009 and were pleased with everything. Had met folks the last night we were there that had done Xcaret and their reviews of Xcaret and the ease of coming and going made staying at the OXG a perfect match. I decided to surprise my Husband by staying at the Royal Club. I think the surprise was on me. We were greeted at the drive up, asked about our reservation and sent on our way...walking... no "let us take you and your luggage out to the Royal". We waited for the cart for over 1/2 hour. Royal Greeting??? Once there it took over 1/2 hour to check in... and we were the only ones there.
The next morning, we got our pass and headed off to Xcaret, came back to shower before the night show and never made it. The water was brown with dirt. When we called they sent someone out to look at it and they said YES it is brown and dirty, and told the front desk to go ahead and move them. An hour later we hadn't heard anything from the front desk... went up to find out what was going on. The girls at the front desk looked at us like we were from Mars and said you really want to move? As if staying in a room with brown muddy water was acceptable. "We will send someone to help you". An hour later my husband went to get the key in the office (the new room was in the building across the courtyard) and we moved ourselves, went to dinner (waited for 1 HOUR for the cart back to the Royal Section) and said screw the shower and missed the show. Got up early the next morning and had a wonderful day at Xcaret. Stayed there right through the show (A MUST SEE!). Ate dinner on the way back to the room at the steak ala carte- wonderful. Started the water for a bath and it was brown, not as bad, but still brown... We gave up and went to bed, checked out the next morning (as planned).
The clincher that made the whole thing worse than the dirty water was having the girls at reception say they had been having complaints of dirty water in the first and second building for the last few MONTHS!!! Why would you move someone experiencing Dirty water into a room that has already had complaints of dirty water. DO NOT waste your money upgrading to the Royal. It wasn't worth the breakfast (the only meal we ate in the "Royal" only section). They have even eliminated the "Royal" golf carts. Look at the map... The Royal is the furthest section from EVERYTHING.
I was VERY Disappointed. I felt VERY put upon by the OXG- especially the Receptionists that are supposed to be so Wonderful!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not waste your money on the "Royal" upgrade. The room we originally had on our first s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MariasMom
ItzeSocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear MariasMom,

We really appreciate the time you took to send us your review; despite this experienced we are glad to read you enjoyed the Xcaret Park, the night show. But we are deeply sorry for the inconveniences you encountered since you arrived with us.

We also regret the water incident and the lack of service provided by our staff, the maintenance management is aware and currently working on it.

Please know they daily check rooms function ability in order to offer a comfort and useful rooms to our guests. Maintenance and Front Desk team are always ready to repair or solve any problems and typically does so in a timely manner. Obviously we failed this time, apologize us.

Again thank you very much for your valuable review and we hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the future to show you the quality of service that you experienced the first time with Occidental Grand Xcaret.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Occidental at Xcaret Destination? Share your experiences!