i loved this resort. there are so many things to do. me and my family stayed for a week last year and we loved it! we had a few problems at the start though. the room we were originally put in was awful. we looked out the glass doors and saw a concrete wall. we figured that we would be outside most of the time anyway so it didn't matter much. We were not in this room for long though.
The hotel staff is very nice, but they always come up to you and ask you if you are interested in taking a tour of the property and they will try and talk you into a time share. we ended up getting one. This moved us into the Royal Club which is a lot nicer. We had a huge room with a big balcony that had an amazing ocean view. We had to ask for this upgrade.
The staff that work at the bars and restaurants are fantastic. They're always very helpful and kind.The room service staff were very nice as well. We didn't talk to the maids as much because most of them only spoke spanish. On the second last night we realized that we were missing $500 canadian. The maids had been in the room earlier to clean the room and we assumed it was them that took the money because it was no where to be seen. We never got it back.
The man made beach is fantastic. Make sure you rent snorkelling gear. I think its a $5 deposit. When you being the gear back they give you back your money. The snorkelling at the beach is amazing. There are tons of species of fish. There is a barrier at the mouth of the lagoon to keep unwanted wildlife out. Make sure you keep your eyes open for cool wildlife as well. There are tons of birds (flamingos, parrots...). Also lizards and iguanas are EVERYWHERE. There are parrots all over the place. Even in the hotel lobby.
The food was average... Go to the mexican restaurant. The food is quite good there. Also the Royal Club restaurant is nice and the staff is great there. You can't eat in the Royal Club restaurant if you're not staying in the Royal Club.
Overall, this resort is very good. We would recommend it. Me and my family had an amazing time and we would definitely go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Occidental at Xcaret Destination in Riviera Maya is a perfect combination in a natural setting with preserved cultural landmarks and an all-inclusive resort with a unique array of rooms, services, and state-of-the-art facilities. Choosing among the many possible activities is the most complicated part of a stay at this resort in Playa del Carmen. Swimming with dolphins, attending a Mayan Indian ceremony, enjoying all types of water sports at the beach club or sailing down the beautiful rivers and canals that surround the hotel are just a few highlights. The Xcaret eco-archeological park offers one of the most unique and exciting park, especially for families, by guaranteeing over 40 cultural attractions and expositions on art and traditions in Mexico. However, as people normally say at the hotel: "Do it all...or simply do nothing." Choose from a list of diverse activities such as strolling through the lush gardens at the resort, enjoying the sun while lying on a hammock, or taking a refreshing swim in one of the resort's five pools or private beach. Anti-stress remedies at the resort are endless. Regardless of how you plan each day at the resort, the hotel's choice of culinary selections is designed to satisfy the demands of every kind of guest. With 10 bars, including the one at the club, and 11 restaurants, guests have the freedom to choose a snack, an informal meal, a gourmet feast or a candlelight dinner, among many other options. The key to this resort is balancing between modern facilities and the marvelous Mexican rainforest that is filled with stunning local wildlife. Entertainment, relaxation and nature coexist at the Occidental at Xcaret Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, HRS, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental at Xcaret Destination reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret