Occidental at Xcaret Destination
  • Pool
$301
$587
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$331
$217
Barcelo.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$423
$240
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$401
$289
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$753
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$438
$472
$973
$450
14,469 results
All reviewsroyal clubman made beachfun clubpacos tacosel pescadorsonora grillle buffetfirst clubtime shareseafood restaurantunderground riverbeach buffetfun poolmain buffetswim up bareco parkbeach area
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently spent eleven nights in the Occidental Grand Xcaret. Unbeknownst to me, my boyfriend had upgraded us to a junior suite in the Royal Club (which was an amazing surprise!), and we were thoroughly spoiled for the duration. From the à la carte breakfasts in the sea-front Royal Club restaurant, through to our evening soaks in the Jacuzzi bath, every day was perfect... The grounds were beautiful (and not as large nor difficult to traverse as some reviewers may have you believe), the food in the Royal Club, and in the specialist restaurants we tried, was impressive, and the service was amazing.

In response to some of the complaints... Amidst the meticulously maintained grounds, luxurious suites, conscientious pool-side waiter service, copious cocktails, wonderful food, friendly staff and incredible wildlife, the absence of one or two swimming pool tiles (even in Royal Club!) did not detract from my enjoyment as much as it seems to have detracted from the enjoyment of so many other Occidental Grand Xcaret reviewers... And, yes, the man-made cove was small, but this is hardly the Occidental’s best-kept secret. Anyone expecting miles of sandy beaches has clearly done no research whatsoever.

One minor complaint of my own: in the main lobby, we were told that the only way to get to the Xcaret Eco Theme Park was to take a US$10 taxi ride, when – in fact – it was less than two minutes’ walk away, through the hotel grounds.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank VagabondHeart1986
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The resort is beautiful. There are archaeological paths and wildlife (monkeys, deer and flamingos) all over. Our rooms were average. The bed was hard as a rock but the pillows were super comfy. The food at the buffet was average, not good if you're a picky eater. The a la cartes were delicious! We went to the steak house and had one of the best fillets I have ever had. The oriental restaurant I had an amazing mahi mahi dish. I wasn't a fan of the Italian restaurant but the rest of my family enjoyed it.

The pools were large and there were tons of seats. But I assume it was because we went in low season. I couldn't imagine the beach at high season because it was packed with the resort only at 40% capacity. The beach is very small, but it was good for us at the time. There are tons of fish swimming around you and I loved it! I would recommend going to the "Fun Pool". There is a swim up bar with a waterfall. There is an amazing buffet there with delicious burgers, pizzas and tacos. There is archery (not in the pool), basketball and volleyball. They have fun games all over the resort and nightly shows were you can win some great prizes! I won breakfast in bed for my husband and myself and it was awesome!!

Overall, I would recommend this resort if you are going in low season. Otherwise I might suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ChelseaPT
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed here,for a week in November 2011. We couldn't find fault with anything. We didn't realise they are part of a timeshare operation. There is some pressure to attend a presentation but it gets you into the Ecological Park cheaper which helps! We thought it good value coming from the Uk compared,say, with the Caribbean. The evening show in the Park is very interesting, with a story about the local history with dance and lovely costumes. It is quite long - maybe 2 hours and you need to get in early to get a rreasonable seat.
The beach area is a small cove, which is just adequate. Lots of walking as it is big site - although they do have buggies picking up. I would go back.

Room Tip: If walking is a problem, ask for a room either in the main building or close to it.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This was our first visit to Mexico on a much needed vacation. We were suckered into a time share, which there are some significant benefits to if you plan on traveling frequently. Had we gone through the presentation closer to the end of our trip, we would probably not have purchased. Although the service is far better for members. The resort really is lovely. The grounds are vast, so plan on a lot of walking. If you are someone with mobility issues, this may not be the best option, as there are not many elevators and you may be relegated to some areas of the resort.
The food at the Mexican and seafood restaurant were good. The meals Mediterranean restaurant was horrible and the steakhouse was not so great either. The buffet had a lot of choices, but the food was frequently cold.
Our room was very nice and clean, towels restocked regularly. The airconditioner rattled LOUDLY all night on our first night and we had to call 3-4 times the next day for someone to come and fixed it. At 10 pm someone came in and shimmed it. That lasted until about 5 am and it began to rattle again. We called in the morning and when we returned to our room that evening it had been repaired.
I added on the Romance Package and did not receive the champagne and strawberries until the day before we left, after I called and complained.

On a positive note, we were able to utilize our "first club" priviledges and probably most enjoyed our time in the Club house and bar! Cesar and Ernesto were the bartenders and were lots of fun!
Overall the trip was nice. We tried to fit too much into our time visiting the parks and were unable to fully enjoy our time their due to time constraints that were primarily self inflicted!
We will definately return there though, as we believe that there is much more to enjoy at the resort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed October 4, 2012

were in June, 2012. low quality food; low quality entertimnt; low quality sand on tiny beach; pools are just ok. etc... low quality low quality!! low quality rooms; with outdated low quality furniture. Internet access is VERY expensive; no free wi fi at all

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank matgur
Sandra A, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Matgur,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to hear your stay was not pleasant. Regarding our food, we have four specialty restaurants that offer gourmet food that is very popular with guests. The restaurants include: The Sonora Grill, where the Rib-eye steak served with homemade mashed potatoes and vegetables is very popular; La Hacienda, which serves Mexican cuisine such as a tortilla soup and steak fajitas, Los Olivos, which offers Italian cuisine; D’Oriental serving Asian cuisine, such as sweet and sour chicken, a favorite among guests; and El Pescador, which specializes in seafood, such as one of the most famous dishes, seafood ceviche. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy any of this cuisine. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef.
It surprised me to read that you did not enjoy our entertainment. We offer a different nightly show, such as the popular Michael Jackson Tribute and Mayan Ceremony.
Regarding our beach, the resort is located next to open sea. However, we have the manmade beach in order to provide guests with a safe place to swim where they can enjoy snorkeling and the exotic ocean life.
I am also very sorry that you did not enjoy the rooms. Occidental Grand Xcaret is designed in a Spanish colonial style, which often received great feedback from guests. The internet in the room and throughout the resort is provided by a third party agency. The pricing is out of control, though it is competitive with the rest of the area. , I have shared your comments with the Hotel Director. Thank you for staying with us. I truly hope you will visit us again so we can show you a wonderful time.