My wife and stayed at the resort for the second year in a row. Last year we thoroughly enjoyed it but felt that there could have been improvements to the food and made the mistake of having the 'tour' in order to obtain discounted tickets to Xcaret Park. With that exception I felt we received value for our vacation dollar. The only negatives were the beds (very hard) and the seafood restaurant which was aweful.
This year we booked a little later and had to upgrade to the Royal Club. The extra cost was well worth it. The staff througout the resort were very friendly and gave (for the most part) good service. the Royal Club tok the service to a different level. They were extremely accomodating and attentive. The restaurant in the club is only for those staying in it and is fantastic. It is a set menu which could be an issue if staying for two weeks but was not an issue for our stay.
All of the restaurants were improved over last year with the exception of the seafood restaurant which was the same. Having spent considerable time on the east and west coasts of Canada perhaps my expectations were too high. However, given the wealth of seafood in the area I was disappointed in the resatuarant.
Despite bing full both years you rarely have the feel of it being crowded.The lack of an ocean front beach is a bit of a drawback but this does preven beach peddlars and makes the resort much more secure.
We would go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Occidental at Xcaret Destination in Riviera Maya is a perfect combination in a natural setting with preserved cultural landmarks and an all-inclusive resort with a unique array of rooms, services, and state-of-the-art facilities. Choosing among the many possible activities is the most complicated part of a stay at this resort in Playa del Carmen. Swimming with dolphins, attending a Mayan Indian ceremony, enjoying all types of water sports at the beach club or sailing down the beautiful rivers and canals that surround the hotel are just a few highlights. The Xcaret eco-archeological park offers one of the most unique and exciting park, especially for families, by guaranteeing over 40 cultural attractions and expositions on art and traditions in Mexico. However, as people normally say at the hotel: "Do it all...or simply do nothing." Choose from a list of diverse activities such as strolling through the lush gardens at the resort, enjoying the sun while lying on a hammock, or taking a refreshing swim in one of the resort's five pools or private beach. Anti-stress remedies at the resort are endless. Regardless of how you plan each day at the resort, the hotel's choice of culinary selections is designed to satisfy the demands of every kind of guest. With 10 bars, including the one at the club, and 11 restaurants, guests have the freedom to choose a snack, an informal meal, a gourmet feast or a candlelight dinner, among many other options. The key to this resort is balancing between modern facilities and the marvelous Mexican rainforest that is filled with stunning local wildlife. Entertainment, relaxation and nature coexist at the Occidental at Xcaret Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Barcelo, Booking.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Occidental at Xcaret Destination reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret