“Excellent Wedding Experience”

Ranked #73 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Roswell, New Mexico
“Excellent Wedding Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

We had our wedding at the Occidental Grand Xcaret while we were guests in the Royal Club. It's typical for the wedding day to be stressful, but Marialma, Luz and the rest of the Xcaret wedding planners made sure that our day was truly special. They were top notch and covered every detail with care and personalization. We utilized the spa to prepare for my wedding - massage, hair, makeup, nails, etc. and again great staff to take care of us. We really felt very important and that they cared about how our day went and making sure it was perfect. We were married in front of the ocean with the Mayan Ruins as our back drop...just breath taking!

Room Tip: The Royal Club had an amazing staff, restaurant and special amenities. To get a better view get a r...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank KP_911
Customer S, Manager at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, December 31, 2011
Dear KP_911
We would like to thank you for your review and for choosing us in such a special occasion as your wedding. Congratulations!
It is truly rewarding when a guest takes the time to share such words of praise, as it shows that our goal of providing excellent service is being achieved. We will make sure to share your comments with Marialma, Luz and the SPA staff who will certainly value them.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future; maybe for your anniversary!
Manager on Duty.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,710)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

Prior to our trip to this FABULOUS resort, we really did our homework. During our research, we were surprised to find several Trip Advisor reviews to be not only negative, but down right mean. These reviews were of great concern to us, but we decided to take a leap of faith. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by a zealously polite bell staff and a very professional and helpful front desk. We arrived 4 hours prior to check-in. Although our room was not yet ready, they provided us a key to a room around the corner from the front desk to change in to our swimsuits so we could relax until our room was ready only an hour and half later. Early check-in was not only allowed, but encouraged by the front desk staff. I had read in a few of the other reviews the guests had experienced difficulties with rude assistance at the front desk. This was not our experience at all. It was clear they were very friendly and eager to help. There were a couple of trainees at the desk, which tells me they are trying to provide a more help at the front desk. Our room was very clean and not “falling apart” as another reviewer had stated. The maid service was extremely efficient and detailed oriented. We requested an additional pillow, which was provided promptly without further follow-up. The staff assistance was consistent through out our stay with our without “propina”(tipping). However, I absolutely encourage tipping to reward hard work and great service! The food at the buffet provided a nice selection of entrees and sides, as well as a grill for omelets during breakfast and burgers and hot dogs during lunch and dinner. There was also a fresh selection of pizza during lunch and dinner that was very popular. We ate twice at the seafood restaurant (El Pescador), as well as the Italian (Los Olivos), the Sonora Grill steakhouse and the D' Oriental restaurants. They were all absolutely wonderful. The wait staff in the restaurants was impeccably professional and attentive. We wanted for nothing. As for the Royal Club 90 minute presentation. We were not harassed at all to take the tour, but out of curiosity we decided to take a look. The rooms are absolutely beautiful and the level of service provided to members is advertised as impeccable. Although I can not imagine the service to be any better than it already is. Thank you Occidental Xcarat for a fabulous vacation.

Room Tip: Buildings 14,15, 16 and 17 are strategically placed near the quiet pool and bar, which are very clo...
16 Thank BelizeLover23
Dear BelizeLover23,
We would like to thank you for staying with us, we are very glad that you could enjoyed the food and services in our hotel. Please know that it is very important to know our guest perception of our property as it helps us to improve
Thank you for your comments about our bell staff, we are really proud of them as they happily welcome all our guests, our front desk people who are working really hard in order selecting rooms and registering each of you and our housekeeping team that enjoy cleaning and providing an excellent service.
We look forward to welcoming you back at to the Occidental GrandXcaret and please do not hesitate to contact us in advance of your stay.
Ruth Carrillo.
LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

The resort was everything we expected, beautiful grounds with roaming wild animals and birds. Our hotel room in Building 21, second floor facing the jungle was great for us. The building is a short walk to the beach area but it is a 5-minute walk to the lobby and the specialty restaurants.
We made dinner reservations for 4 restaurants - D'Oriental, Sonora (steakhouse), Los Olivos (Mediterranean) and El Pescador (seafood). We thought the seafood restaurant was the best. The entrees we ordered at the oriental restaurant were tasty but definitely not authentic cuisine. You can order lobster for dinner for $18 additional at any of the specialty restaurants.
The buffet restaurants were fine with good variety of selection.
The beach was relatively small but nice. Lots of fish. I recommend not to stand in the water without moving around because you just might be bitten by the fish. I was bitten at my knee and there were several guests who were bitten at the ankles. Although it didn't really hurt, it sure caught us by surprise!
There are daily activities for adults and kids, including archery, miniature golf, water games, tennis, ping pong.... The nightly shows were OK. We only went to two of them.
The services we received at the resort were excellent overall. Everyone was very pleasant and polite.
I would rate it as a 4* resort and would recommend it.

4 Thank wander2
Customer S, Manager at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Dear wander2
We would are very glad to read your review and to know that you could enjoyed the many different activities we have for all of our dear guests. Thank you for being so appreciative of our hotel’s staff, resort's natural environment and food as we are really proud of our property and its location right in to the Riviera Maya’s Jungle.
In regards to your comment about the Oriental Restaurant, we would like to inform you that we are increasing the options and variety of our restaurants menus in order to provide food that will fulfill the expectations of our guests; please give us the privilege of hosting you again so you can experience the improvements we are making.
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Having read so many reviews before we went (came back yesterday) felt slightly apprehensive, but have come to the conclusion that people are more prone to write reviews if they want to complain!
I feel as though I should state that I'm English so we do look at things in a different way, I'm not that fussed about coffee but did take some with me, however I never used any of it (nor my husband his teabags!)
The resort is a real paradise, the "jungle paths" are breath taking, I love the sign that says "do not touch the animals they are wild" as if you would, nor do they approach you!
The pools are wonderful with jacuzzi pools to lounge in, loads of sunbeds that can be pulled into the shallows so you lie in the sun with your feet dangling in the water, bliss. Every pool has a bar with the most helpful of bartenders all prepared to advice on the cocktails - we experimented, which was loads of fun. You feel no guilt about how often and what you order, they are happy for you to have what you want when you want it.
There has been loads of bad reviews about the food, the choice is so huge I really cannot understand what causes people to complain. We breakfasted at the beach buffet because of it's idyllic location, the lady who cooked our omelet to order was a darling, all smiles & wonderful service.
Lunch was upto you, if you want the "American" fair then the pool buffet is for you - burgers, onion rings, pizza, chips etc - we had this a couple of days after a couple of active trips, and it was what was needed. On a daily basis the beach buffet for lunch was fresh salads, seafood, with lots of choice - loved it. We wnr to the main buffet for lunch on the last day, and although not so intimate the food and choice was excellent.
Evening meals, to be honest we cheated you're supposed to have 4 al a carte (restaurant) meals a week, we got 6 - we turned up 8.15pm asked nicely and tables were prepared. The food was really excellent, I really cannot understand what people complain about. We did not have one bad meal. We had one naff waiter at the seafood restaurant, so we didn't tip him - but the meal was still excellent. I took 25$ USD for tipping and still brought a couple home. I really do believe that tipping makes no difference, however if you feel someone deserves a tip then go for it, a well done does us all the world of good.
The room was good, we had a king sized bed that was huge. It was cleaned & stocked and was more then was required.
We went to Playa Del Carmen a couple of times, one in the evening to finish "pressie" shopping - I must admit the bartering gets on my nerves, but my husband is quite good at it so we did get a couple of bargains, however I don't feel comfortable with it. We also went to the beach which is gorgeous for strolling in the surf, however I loved the intimacy of our lagoon beach with our sunbeds and wonderful waiter service for free drinks!! The water is soo clear with fish swimming around you.
We did a couple of excursions (they are quite expensive, but think what we pay here). Xcaret was excellent and a full day trip, we did the cave swim at the end of the day and we were the only ones in the caverns which was spooky but wonderful to be floating with fire flies in the chasms. We popped back to the hotel for something to eat before the evening show, which is long but certainly worth going to.
The other trip was with barracuda - extreme snorkelling. Omg what an experience, zip wiring through the jungle, jumping into water holes from heights far excessive then I thought I would - I managed the 37ft, my husband bottled it at 20ft, he'll never be allowed to forget that one!!! However he did good at the ATV driving - very fast for a good hour+ through the jungle. Saw snakes, monkeys and lots of laughs.
All in all the holiday exceeded what we were expecting, the people are happy, helpful and a good giggle. The resort fab and the possibilities whatever you want them to be. Go with an open mind - it's a holiday so enjoy!

• Stayed November 2011
16 Thank susut
Dear Susut,
Thank you for your excellent review! We are so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay, and we would like to thank you for being so appreciative of our staff, resort and food. It is really important for us our guests' feedback and it is really motivating when our main goal of providing great experiences for all our guests is achieved.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact us in advance.
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a scientific congress held there and I was very satisfied. The staff were helpful, rooms clean and comfy, and the whole hotel was like a small luxurious paradise. I don't go to such hotels for holiday myself but for the congress, this was nice.
Five of the hotel speciality restaurants require reservation but it was never problem to get there and the food was tasty. Nothing special but tasty. As the hotel was all inclusive, it was possible to go for lunch/snack/drink anytime which was very pleasant and I could leave my wallet in the room safe for the whole 4 days.

As for swimming, the hotel has several pools that were clean and not too crowded. The hotel beach is small and packed with people but after just a short walk on the rocks out of the hotel area, you get to totally abandoned beaches.

The major disadvantage of the hotel is the position. There is virtually nothing around (except for the overpriced Disneyland-like Xcaret natural park with very questionable attitude to nature). A few km away it the Playa del Carmen town which is full of tourists, tasteless souvenirs and crowded beaches. I personally liked to have a walk on the seaside with just the jungle on one side and the ocean on the other. There was a lot to see (mainly iguanas).

If you want to make a trip to some of the Mayan ruins or other interesting places, I would avoid the hotel services. These are hugely overpriced. You can get there for several dollars by bus or a collectivo from Playa without the necessity of paying extreme prices at the hotel.

All-in-all the hotel itself is wonderful to spend a congress in with some swimming and lazy resting. However, I would never recommend this venue to someone who wants to see Mexico. You'll see nothing of it in this hotel, you'll just be trapped in a golden cage.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Johny_r
Dear Johny_r,
We would like to thank you for your review and we are really glad to know that you enjoyed our “small luxurious paradise”, as you called it, also to know that culinary offers made it up to your expectations and that you could swim with the fish at our beautiful beach.
Guest feedback is extremely important to us as it leads us to improve our services according to their expectations. We would like to explain you that the excursions we offer are very reliable, and regulated, and therefore might be a higher price than taking a collective bus, as it is a more private and safe service.
We would also like to point some of the major advantages of our property such as its location really near to Playa del Carmen, what allows our guests to visit the town and at the same time to have a great experience in our incredible natural surrounding, also we are right next to Xcaret Park which is dedicated to promote marine turtle conservation of two species that arrives every year to Quintana Roo’s coastline to nest, besides this park contributes to the preservation and promotion of traditions and customs of local communities, therefore Xcaret has been named a Socially Responsible Company by the Mexican Center for Philanthropy, moreover, our property is located in the Highway to Tulum, giving easy access to our guest to visit different places in the area.
Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you back for another congress or for holidays.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed and I will explain you why :

- Air Transat flight : everything was ok.

- Room : cleaned every day but the room is very old and need a serious renew. They don't automatically change the bed sheet, feel free to do the test. Very important, put all your expensive stuff especially jewelry in safe! First day, someone already stole my watch that I left on the table for a quick breakfast. It sad because I use to left some money everyday for the cleaning.

- Food : very basic, and always the same food. Fried vegetables, french fries, one kind of fish during 7 days (we had shrimps and calamars one night),white rice, salad and bread. A big disappointment for this buffet. The breakfast was okay. I consider myself as a very easy going person and it is easy to satisfy me but this buffet was the worse that I never had.

- Restaurant à la carte : way better than the buffet, so book yours as soon as you arrive. As the buffet is bad for lunch & diner people book quickly and it is getting hard to get a reservation.

- Lagon : the best of this resort, especially for children because of it safety. Go early if you want have a seat!

- Pool : many pool and lots of space.

- Resort : very calm, good for a family with young children or calm holidays. If you are young and want to party avoid this resort it's gonna be boring for you! Otherwise, there is a lot of vegetation, weird animals which you are going to love.

- Playa del Carmen: less than 10 minutes from the hotel (115 pesos, no need to deal the price, it is already fixed). Very cheap when you consider that you can go by 4 in the same taxi!

This resort doesn't deserve a 4 star 1/2, but a 3 stars. It doesn't worse the money for sure! For the same price you can have a 5 stars!

2 Thank bkt_keratintreatment
Customer S, Manager at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Bkt_keratintreatment,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to read that our resort did not meet your expectations.
In regards to your watch you are reporting missing from your room; please know that all of our staff is held to the highest standards to prevent any inconvenience of this nature. In addition, the security procedures that our personnel go through as their shift begins and ends are very strict. We do encourage all guests to take advantage of the in-room safe deposit boxes in each room. They are complimentary.
Please know that Occidental Grand Xcaret is an environmentally friendly hotel. In order to reduce the environmental impact of our operations we have implemented some actions to reduce the consumption of resources such as water, electricity and more. Therefore, we ask that our guests leave a card on their beds when they leave the room so that our housekeeping team knows that they want their linens changed. , If they do not leave it after two days, automatically change them. This policy helps us engage all of our guests in the conservation of our planet.
On another note, although we understand many of our guests have different likes and dislikes regarding food and entertainment, it is disappointing to learn that our restaurants and Fun Club activities did not live up to your expectations. Your comments are sincerely appreciated and will be shared with the chef and the entertainment director.
We are very glad that you enjoyed our beach, pools and natural surroundings. Thank you for staying with us. We hope you will give us another opportunity to change your perception,
Best Regards,
Manager on Duty
Monduty2.gfx@mx.occidentalhotels.com
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

I recently got married at the Occidental Grand Xcaret (October 2011) and had the most fantastic, easy, perfect wedding. I could spend forever explaining the details, but the truth is the reason my wedding was perfect was because I had the help of an unbelievably talented wedding coordinator as well as the help of the incredibly gracious staff of the resort.

Marialma Ortiz coordinated everything down to the tee. In the months before the wedding, she and I emailed back and forth on a daily basis. She answered every one of my questions, regardless of how detailed or ridiculous they were and always contributed with additional ideas and issues I hadn't even thought of. She made me completely comfortable planning a wedding from so far away because she was always happy to help me work through any questions big or small. When we finally arrived at the resort a few days before the wedding, she had everything expertly prepared and coordinated, ready for final review and this level of organization allowed me to enjoy the days before my wedding worry free. She was never pushy but she was always direct and honest when I needed her advice. It was easy to trust her because she genuinely cares about making this day perfect in every way. She made me feel like my wedding was the only wedding she had to do, which is simply not the case. Her attention to detail is unsurpassed.
On the day of the wedding, she and her assistant Luz were by my side when I needed them and I could trust them both to deal with any details that needed attention. Knowing that they was there allowed me to completely enjoy my wedding without worrying about anything. Having a wedding coordinator who is so happy to be doing this and who is so talented at it is a priceless resource that I could not have done without.

I also cannot say enough about the staff at the resort. Every single person I interacted with was genuinely helpful and always pleasant. They were responsible for the decorations and detailing and each person I interacted with treated everyone in our party like family. In the days before and after the wedding, the staff became more and more familiar and I found myself sharing stories with everyone, even the chefs responsible for cooking our wedding meal. The staff made our wedding feel even more like a big family party.

The wedding itself was simply perfect. The setting, the ceremony, the sunset cocktail hour and the reception were simply wonderful. I would recommend this resort for a wedding to anyone and I hope someone takes my advice seriously because I need to get back there soon. If a destination wedding is what you want, no one does it better than the Occidental Grand Xcaret.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Vanessa P
Customer S, Manager at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
Dear Ms. Vanessa P
On behalf of entire Occidental Grand Occidental Xcaret staff and myself, we would like to express our gratitude for allowing us the privilege of hosting you during such a special occasion as your wedding.
Please know that it is truly rewarding when a guest takes the time to share such a words of praise, as it shows that our main goal of providing an excellent service is being achieved. We would like to thank you for taking the time to write such an amazing review about our wedding services and coordinators, we are very glad and proud of our staff, especially for people like Marialma, who is a really professional and caring person that understands the needs of our brides and grooms. We will make sure to share your motivating comments with our staff and especially with Marialma and Luz who will certainly value them.
Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you in the future, maybe to probably celebrate together your first anniversary?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,187 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,006 reviews

Been to Occidental at Xcaret Destination? Share your experiences!