Tripadvisor
Playa del Carmen
9,378 results
All reviews blue moon el charro dolce vita entertainment staff pool bar club el mandarin japanese restaurant privilege beach privilege area foam party privilege guests quiet pool beach area privilege package activity pool coco bongo our favourite
Selected filters
Reviewed January 20, 2020

Before I do my review I am always interested in what other have written. I do find it funny when you can have such different reviews on a place around the same time. I for example, have also been on a huge amount of all inclusive s all over the world. Like a lady had said on a recent review, the food was incredible as are all the staff that work there. As with any place, there are some younger people having fun (we are 43 & 47) but they were never too loud and I think its great that a variety of ages are all kicking back and having fun. Maybe I am young at heart! ;-)

Honestly, the place is amazing. A spacial shout out to my favourite people Rodrigo, Margarita and Daniella. You guys are the best!

Regarding the beds: Yes, like most places people will get up and reserve beds. All are gone by 8am but most people are actually on their reserved sunbed by 9.30am. Unlike some places where they stay vacant until the afternoon. We run our own company and work 70 hour weeks and somehow it didn't kill us getting up early and chilling all day. Stop moaning people and get your lazy bums out of bed.

We met two lovely couples while there and had a great time just relaxing and chatting. You can have the best of both worlds what with two pools completely different. The pool party on a Wednesday and a sunday was pretty special. Something I planned to "watch", I ended up right in it three times! :-)
The entertainment team are the best I've ever seen. I'll miss you x

Big thank you once again all the team over there! Whoever recruits, does it very well. I have never been somewhere that absolutely everyone is so friendly all the time.

We highly recommend your hotel and we will book again but will book direct with you. May even come back this year!

Lots of love
Harris family x

Room tip: Make sure you're not near the mangrove as there are lots of mosquitos
4  Thank Harris7
CustomerServiceOcean, Gerente at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Harris Family,

We would like to thank you for your decision to stay at Ocean Maya Royale during your visit to Playa del Carmen. We are so glad to read that you fully enjoyed your stay, mainly thanks to our excellent attentive staff, we cannot thank you enough for your praise and recommendation and we most certainly will share your compliments to all the members of our staff

It was a pleasure to read about all the aspects of your holiday and our hotel’s facilities and services being to your liking, including the fun pool party :)

We are thrilled that you are determined to come back and cannot wait to welcome you back!

All our best,

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

Great place but be prepared to ramp up your towel game. Quality food, services and staff. Quick room service with an excellent ceasar salad. The cheapest way into town is the three hour shuttle, 10am and 12pm departures, pay with 400 peso as its one third cheaper then using 15 usd. Leaving today, will return. Adios muchachos!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank freakwentflyers
CustomerServiceOcean, Gerente at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2020

Dear freakwentflyers,

Grettings from Playa del Cramen, Thank you cordially for your praises and that you recognize and appreciate the hotel experience for which we strive to enhance and deliver to our valued guests every single day. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel services,

Reviewed January 18, 2020

beautiful hotel, very clean and not too big. there are two pools, one where all the activities are held and the other is more quiet and relaxed so you can have the best of both worlds. i personally found the food great, i thought there was a great variety in the buffet restaurants and then the other 4 restaurants for dinner were stunning. the staff were all incredibly friendly, they always made you feel welcome and were happy to help at all times. For example, we always get badly bitten by mosquitos and there were a few in our rooms when we asked about it straight away they offered to spray the rooms and move us if we wanted to move. The entertainment staff: Rodrigo, Marena, Arturo and Naomi had the perfect balance of being funny, welcoming and helpful. They were amazing at getting people involved in fun activities (such as the foam party) and brightening everyone moods. They are never too pushy and if you want to just relax they won't bother you. To summarise it was an amazing holiday!

4  Thank lucyjayneharris

Dear Mrs. Lucy,

We would like to express our gratitude for take the time to share your kind opinion,

It is a pleasure to know that you were immensely satisfiedwith the beauty and cleaness of the hotel and the overall services. We will most certainly share your compliments with all our staff and especially teh entertainment staff,

Thank you for choosing Ocean Maya Royale,

We hope to see you the next time you visit Riviera Maya :)

Reviewed January 18, 2020

I was underwhelmed and overwhelmed both at the same time. I have stayed at many all inclusive properties all over the world, so feel confident that I am well-positioned to make a lot of comparisons.

The pool and beach are are nothing to write home about. You can't get a pool seat or beach seat until you wake up at 7 AM to reserve one. It's simply ridiculous. I have seen many nicer pool areas and I don't think the photos on their website accurately portray the sadness of the general area. It wasn't awful, but it was not at all upscale.

The pool area feels like one big frat boy atmosphere with tons of loud music, shouting and drinking that goes on and on. We were at the "quiet pool" and it was still hectic.

Our room was simply horrible. It had a lot of mosquitos, our coffee maker didn't work and it was drab and dank. Everything was in really poor condition. Everything in the room needed a complete redesign with the exception of the headboard area which looked OK. The bed was comfortable, too.

Then there's the food. It was FANTASTIC. Yes, it was incredible. I've eaten a lot of all-inclusive slop in my day. This place had an incredible buffet and I was blown away by the quality and standards. Everything was super high end. We also ate at the Blue Moon restaurant and it was some of the best food I've ever had in Mexico. And I live here!!! Wow. I'm one impressed client.

The lobby, coffeeshop, and sports bar areas have recently been renovated and it shows. They are top notch communal areas. Some of the nicest spaces I've seen at any resort. Very modern, and very hip. Great chill places for sure.

If you do stay here, I suggest one or two nights, but no more. The resort should feel really good about the overall quality of their food, its presentation, and how much attention they gave to the redesign of their public spaces.

But the atmosphere of their pool and beach area and the disgraceful rooms left me wanting more.

But the lack of beach/pool chairs and the high level of partying young people didn't make for a great experience. And the horrible rooms left a bad impression.

Finally, the employees were friendly and the service was just fine.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
CustomerServiceOcean, Gerente at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Mrs. Stacey,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review,

We feel very sorry that we could not exceed your expectations and based on your positive and negatives reports, we are glad that you like the staff service and food options, in the other hand we are sorry about your room, it seems we did not received your feedback while you were here, we would love to had the chance to give you a solution. We gladly inform you that we are getting more sunbeds in order to provide a better service,

Regarding the pool ambience, we try to have options for everybody, as you mentioned we have 2 different pools and also the beach area were we do not play any music, we are sorry the even at the quiet area you were disturbed and we respect the fact that your preference regarding accommodation is more quiet hotels,

Thanks once again for taking the time to share your experience,

Warm reagrds from Playa del Carmen,

Reviewed January 18, 2020

This was such a great place to relax and have fun all at the same time. Beautiful beach, great food, and staff that knows how to keep everyone smiling and involved without being pushy. Small enough that everyone remembers your name after a couple days, but open enough where alone time is more than possible. The bartenders are all very kind, please remember to tip them! As always, the entire activities/entertainment staff really made our stay worthwhile. I made good connections with people both on and off of staff that I plan to keep, thank you for the beautiful time.

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Trevmatczak

Dear Trevmatczak

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments! we are so glad you had a great time on your holidays!

Thank you for highlighting the areas which had made your entire experience much more fantastic. Our main goal is our guest´s satisfaction and we are so happy to read we have fulfill your expectations,

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the nearest future for a perfect stay!