“Fantastic Resort and Staff... So glad we stayed here!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #48 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Chatham, Canada
“Fantastic Resort and Staff... So glad we stayed here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

I really wanted to come back and write a great review after reading so many mixed reviews. I got my wish!

To start with, I had booked this vacation in December then broke my foot in February and decided to keep the reservation.

Check-in – We arrived around 9:30. When we got there we had requested a handicap room, but my agent forgot to cancel the prior request for an ocean view (2nd floor). They were going to switch it, but we thought we should try the room and see first. They had upgraded us as a thank-you for not cancelling the trip I guess so the room was great and we heard the ocean and unpacked immediately.

Room – Our room was fabulous, great view and spacious. Villa 3707. The rooms with a sofa have pullout beds inside (some people didn’t know that). If you want to know the weather or time (hard to find clocks since the idea is that time doesn’t matter) checkout Channel 21. It had great tunes, mostly 80’s, that didn’t have repeats that we heard for about 3 days, but we only listened in the morning and just before dinner. Our room was very clean. This room was also close to 2 of the restaurants and the pool and beach. If you book early enough, definitely book a villa and not a room in the hotel. We didn’t spend a lot of time in our room, but we liked it when we were there. There are 2 things that weren’t perfect. One was the outside wall of the patio had some peeling paint, they are repainting and hadn’t made it to the last one yet. The beds were not great, not horrible, but def not like being at home.

Beach - The beach was cleaner than I had pictured from the reviews, there is plenty of room and chairs to use. The upgrade got us a members only area which had a walkway, it was beautiful.

Pool - There are 2 plus a kiddy pool. They were beautiful and never too packed since the beach was right there and people would use the day for daytrips a lot too.

Entertainment- The shows were good and humorous too. This isn’t Vegas; these people perform different shows every night so I was impressed with the quality. The shows are mostly family friendly and a lot of times get the audience highly involved. The disco is what you make it, if you have a good crowd with you, it can be fun, otherwise I would recommend the nightlife in town. During the day there was always something going on by the pool for kids and/or adults. There is also a kids club from 9-5 so that parents can have some free time.

Shuttle: There is a free shuttle into Playa from 12-5 every day, be sure to book the day before.

Cleanliness – We found the rooms and the entire resort to be very clean, there was always someone cleaning and the bathrooms were great. The grounds also need to be mentioned, they were beautiful and immaculate. The pictures (which I had thought may have been adjusted for colour) do not do this resort justice.

Staff- Amazing!!!! They were accommodating, friendly, funny and always ready to help. I wouldn’t use the swim-up bar, much quicker to get out of the pool and grab your drink then pop back in. The service is as fast as it can be, but remember that you are there to relax and the mood there is also relaxing. We never had a problem with waiting a few minutes, but we also brought oversized travel mugs.

Restaurants- You can only make dinner reservations if you upgrade to the black bracelets, but even without reservations people were almost always seated immediately or within 15 minutes.

The morning buffet was always good in our opinion, there was an omelette station which was great. I would recommend grabbing the soda glasses near the soda machines for your juice though. Behind the bar in the main lobby there is a coffee bar which had the yummiest hot chocolate and treats were also available. The lunch buffet was also great and mixed up food choices. The snack bar near the pool had typical stuff, it was okay.

At night: The Italian had a romantic atmosphere (which was lost on us), but the food was amazing, a lot of choices for food here.

Japanese: We ate at the grill where the food was cooked in front of you, twice! I would recommend that seating arrangements.

Mexican: It was just okay, only ate there once.

Buffet: Good again 

Drinks: Very good and yummy, at all locations. Some people on here had complained that there wasn’t enough alcohol in the drinks, but as my friend pointed out, you shouldn’t taste the alcohol in a good drink. And we watched them pour, they are not weak!

Money: We did not exchange for pesos, only used American. And $1 tip goes a long way in a country where minimum wage is $4 a day.

Overall we loved this place. We were treated like royalty and respectfully, always had service with a smile. North Americans could take some customer service lessons from these staff members! A fabulous place for a great price. I think the fact that we were given the upgrade made our stay better, but hung out with people who didn’t upgrade and loved it still. I would recommend this to people in their 30’s and up, friends, couples and families. If you are looking to party it up, look elsewhere. I also think that if you are a timeshare member, this may not meet your expectations. I do not typically go to the same place twice, but I would consider this again if the price was right and would definitely look into their sister resorts.

PS- We got pictures of all our favourite staff except Eber, a bartender in the main lobby, if anyone has one to share, please let me know!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank iwillgothere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,526)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edmonton, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

This review is a few years too late, but a review nonetheless. It was known as the H10 Hacienda at that time. Went as a group of 4 friends in our early 20s. The beach had very soft white sand - if you dove for the volleyball, it wouldn't scrap your knees at all.

The food was good. I wouldn't say great but somewhere in between good and great. The Japanese a la cart was fairly iffy - I wouldn't recommend the trouble of making a reservation for that place.

Service was good.

At that time, they had a promotion with their sister hotel right on cancun strip. The ONLY CATCH was that we had to check out of H10 Hacidenda/Ocean Maya at 10 and take the free 1hr shuttle to Cancun only to wait around for a few hours before we could check in there. Then the same goes when we got back to Playa - and we got different rooms when we got back.

We weren't bugged about the time shares, probably because we all looked freshly 18. We talked to some other Canadians (there seemed to be plenty of us!) who had families and what not, and they shared their stories of harassment.

Service was good. Other than the "Do not disturb" signs they have barely stay on the door handles. Our first room didn't even have one so the first morning, we had EVERYONE knocking on the door. The maid a few times, even the electrical guys who ended up fixing the light bulb has we slept off a hangover. And even the cable guy! It seemed like their whole posse was out to get us out of bed! You could imagine, that was incredibly annoying. Next time I'm going somewhere, I think I may make my own do not disturb sign that I know will stay on to save me from the too-crazy-night-before 'headache'

The disco was kinda cheesy as there would only be a few ppl down there. The nightly shows they put on weren't spectacular but it was entertainment.

Personally, I wouldn't go back as I would want to check out other resorts. I didn't know about this site at the time, which I find a lot of great tips in the reviews. I would recommend it for a young family. It's very quiet (esp compared to Cancun). You know your children would be safe. The staff is great with all ages.

For the spring breakers, I wouldn't recommend this place. For the relaxed couple who likes to party it up every blue moon, I think this is a great place. It's only a 10(?)min cab ride into Playa de Carmen. We asked the young hotel staff what is a good place to go dancing the night away in town and they recommended Bali, which we had a GREAT time! Especially the ladies because that particular night, ladies drank for free! :)

All in all, I'd just say.... between average and good :)

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

Check In was a breeze. Our room (villa 25) was lovely. A light wentout in our room in the morning and was fixed by early evening- no problem.

Service at all bars and restaurants was excellent- the staff are very friendly and eager to please. Drinks are wells but Corona is on tap and bartenders can make almost anything.
The Japanese was fun and the food was decent food court at the mall Japanese.
The Italian had the best atmosphere. Food and presentation were nice. .
The Mexican was your average chain Mexican restaurant- decent. .
The buffett was above average and there was plenty of variety to choose from.

The entertainment staff put on a good show every night- they work very hard and do a nice job trying to make you laugh. This is not a party resort and the disco has no atmosphere so go downtown if you want to really party.

The beach is beautiful and you can lay rightin front of the beach. The water was great and there were plenty of lounge chairs. We went for a relaxing sun holiday and that is exactly what we got.

2 Thank kcunio
nova scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

This was my first time ever away on vaca i loved it the grounds were verry clean and beautiful the staff was great always there to serve you they work verry hard i loved gillberto that worked at the pool bar he is great he knew what i wanted as soon as he saw me there fast and funny too the rooms were great plenty of hot water to shower i felt my stuff was safe in room maids never touched your stuff and i loved VICTOR !! he is what every resort needs one of him all in all i would go bace in a heart beat nightly shows @9:30 pm i ate to buffet every night it was very good andthibg you wanted so all those ppl that beat this resort down is tottaly wrong i thought it was good SO all ppl that read this go there you will love it !!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank capelite
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

Even though when I visited this hotel three years ago I said in my tripadvisor review that I would probably not go back again (not because anything is wrong with a hotel but just because we never vacation at the same place twice) I got a very good deal and decided to give this hotel a try for the second time.

Traveled with my spouse and 6 and 11 year old children.

In my opinion good things about hotel are the following:

Grounds are beautiful, beach area (sun taning area) is nice but beach is almost non existent. On few days of our 9 nights stay ocean was calm, beautiful and turquoise color but on most days it was quite murky. Rooms are spotless and room service is good.

We had a newly renovated room on second floor in block 26 (very close to the beach and pool). It was Mayan Deluxe Room in which you are provided with iron and ironing board, coffee machine and some soda drinks and beer beside water in fridge. I think that is the only difference from Mayan Deluxe to just Deluxe rooms.

Definitely try to get one of these newly renovated rooms as I have been in both now and it does make a difference.

Our daughter ended up with an ear infection and we were able to get doctor to visit us in our room very quickly, prescribe and give her medication. They actually have doctor's office in the resort but its only open in the morning. Doctor is available on call any time of the day or night.

Some not so good things:

Food was really average. It tends to repeat all the time and breakfast is same every single day. Cookies and pastry chef should also be informed that beside cheese cake there are some other cakes to be made.

We did try Italian and Mexican restaurant and they were OK. Nothing spectacular.

We were really disappointed this time with the entertainment as it seems like the whole entertainment team has dissolved and they are just starting to form up again. When we were in this resort three years ago, the entertainment was a spotlight of our stay.

I would definitely recommend trip to Xcaret and we did it on our own. Hotel tour will charge you US$109/pp for entry and transporation to Xcaret and we just took a cab both ways (US$23 one way) and paid entrance of US$69. Definitely not worth doing it through hotel tour. Night show in Xcaret is great (from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.). Tip for Xcaret: when I paid my tickets at the entrance with Visa I was informed that we can come next day with the same tickets for free because I paid with Visa.

Also, I would recommend few night outings to Playa del Carmen. Charming place with some nice galleries, restaurants and boutiques. Cab is $14 each way for up to 4 passangers.

Exchange some money for pesos if you plan on taking trips by cab as you will definitely pay more if you pay in USD. Trip to Playa from this hotel is 135 pesos and drivers will charge you $14-15. Trip to Xcaret is 245 pesos which works out to be around US$19 and cab drivers will charge you US$24-25. Exchange rate varies - 1USD = 12.5 to 13.5 pesos.

In short, for a good price this hotel is good but don't expect 5 star resort as they advertise themselves.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

Check In- We arrived at the Ocean Maya and asked about a room upgrade, which we had read about from other peoples reviews. We upgraded for $35 a night to a honeymoon suite. Great King bed, access to a blocked off part of the beach (which had drink service), a bar fridge in our room (which had beer, soda, and water), and allowed us to make dinner reservations at the restaurants

Room- Our room was fabulous, villa 12, second floor (I liked having a second floor room, as opposed to a ground level room) It had a great view of the pool and the ocean.

Food- There are 4 restaurant choices for dinner
Japanese- Tapanki (table side) was alot of fun, and the food was great
Italian- The best food on the resort was definitely found here.
Mexican- No, don't bother! No one we spoke with liked the food at the Mexican place, which seems strange being in Mexico and all.
Buffett- Was a buffet, just like you would except, good but not great

Service at all the restaurants was terrific! You can also eat at the restaurants as many times as you please, we did Japanese 3 times :)
If you are a wine drinker, especially red wine, buy some and bring it with you. The wine is awful, and I'm not even a bit fussy. I can hardly tell the difference between $10-$100 wine, but this red wine, is thick, and served cold, and kind of fizzy? Very strange.

Entertainment- This is not the resort for spring break partying (thank god!). There is a nightly show, and since it's a smaller resort most of them are put on by the very hard working entertainment staff. If you do want to go partying, each night the hotel offers a trip to a local bar, coco bongos, or bars in Cancun.

Everyday by the pool the entertainment staff are rounding up people to play volleyball, do some yoga, play water polo, etc. My advice is GET INVOLVED! It was so much fun, and they work so hard to make up things to keep everyone happy. Look out for Victor (ladies you wont miss him), and Daniel.

Activities -
Outside of the resort we went parasailing, which was a great time.
We also went to Xel-ha, which was a great day, snorkelling, walking, swimming, etc.
We also went into Playa del Carmen for the day, shopping and sight seeing.

Even when we weren't sitting in the roped off area on the beach our favorite server Aaron seemed to find us, and bring us drinks.

Also free wi-fi in the lobby worked great, so bring your phones or laptops.

The people were beyond friendly, so if you visit treat them well in return :)

3 Thank MaritimeExplorers
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

We were not supposed to stay at this resort. We made our reservations at the Ocean Coral & Turquesa in Puerto Morales. Upon arriving at our resort, we were told it was overbooked and were being moved to the Ocean Maya. We tried not to be too critical of the Ocean Maya, but since it wasn't what we were expecting we couldn't really help ourselves. There were a lot of great things about this resort. The grounds were gorgeous and there was always people working on the upkeep of the grounds. The pools and beach were very nice. Laying at the pool you were looking out over the beach, which we both enjoyed. The staff was mostly friendly. The bartenders and lobby staff were all very friendly. Since we were bumped to this resort, we were upgraded to the black bracelet (aka "privileged club"). The black bracelet allowed us to make reservations at the ala carte restaurants. We were told the white bracelets couldn't make reservations, but could show up. We ate at the Italian and Japanese restaurants. We did not make reservations at the Italian and were seated right away. The food there was probably a 2 out of 5 - definitely nothing fancy. We made reservations at the Japanese and sat at the table where they cook in front of you. It was by far the best food at the resort and it was entertaining. Also, with the black bracelet we were able to lounge in the private section on the beach. The sunbeds were great, but were in high demand. You had to put your towels on them by about 6:30 am in order to get one. It was worth it though. Also in the private section we were served by Edgar, who was great! He brought drinks, snacks, and you could put in your dinner reservations through him. The upgrade was nice, but I don't think we would pay for it. Other good things about the resort: the coffee shop was nice, the Mexican restaurant has snacks during the day and it's great while lounging at the pool/beach (they have Styrofoam plates so you can take it out with you), Wi-Fi in the lobby was nice. Some of our complaints: the food, the entertainment, the promptness (or lack thereof) of the staff, no one could make change, availability of king size bed rooms. The food - other than the Japanese restaurant the food was not great. The breakfast buffet was the same almost every morning with not a lot of choices and the dinner buffet was less than enjoyable. I found myself most happy with the snack bar - hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, french fries, nachos, etc. The entertainment - we don't usually partake in any of the "activities" that are offered and the crew seemed to always be trying to get people involved, so that seemed great. However, the night entertainment was late - 9:30ish at night. We found ourselves trying not to fall asleep in the lobby waiting for the show. The staff was not very quick with requests. Our toilet hardly flushed and plugged twice. Both times it took at least 5 hours to have someone come to fix it. Also, there were only one or two bartenders at the bars and the wait at the pool bar during the day was ridiculously long. We always like to tip the staff, but no one could make change for us! Make sure you take lots of small bills because even the lobby and stores wouldn't break big bills. We were put up in a room with two double beds which wasn't ideal for my husband and I. We requested a change, but weren't able to change until the next day and we decided not to bother because everything else about our room was fine. Not surprising, but so you're prepared the prices in the hotel store are outrageous. We wanted to carry-on our luggage so decided we would buy sunscreen at the resort. We knew it would be overpriced, so we can't really complain but it was around $23 USD for a bottle of sunscreen. Overall, we went on a vacation to relax in the sun and that's exactly what we did. We enjoyed the vacation and the resort. We probably would not go back to this resort, only because we like to try new resorts. I would recommend this resort for a good deal.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,697 reviews
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,163 reviews

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!