“A Real Disappointment!!!”

Ranked #47 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
A TripAdvisor Member
“A Real Disappointment!!!”
Reviewed February 20, 2006

I was there on my honeymoon for 2 weeks..just got back and burning to write a review. Before we left we didn't find many reviews of this place and I rely on other people's opinion before I go somewhere.
The first thing we encountered that bothered me was at the Cancun airport. When you're making your way to your bus, a number of very legitimate looking representatives approach you as if you are expected to go with them. They get behind their official looking posts and then bring out brochures of places to go and sites to see, all for a very reasonable rate.."better than any other deal around" they spew. Do not go with them..it's about time share condominiums; and while you may get something a little cheaper you will have to spend up to 4 hours sitting through one of their sales pitches.
So the Club El Mandarin..we arrived at 11am and could not get our room until 3pm. Although this place is kept clean they just don't have enough people where they should. The buffet is crowded most of the time and the waiters are run off their feet clearing dishes mostly. The tables are usually dirty unless you get there right when they open. And the food is left out for almost 4 hours at a time..be careful to go early. I don't care how well they keep things hot..the pancakes were hardly warm so I'm guessing the meat can't be kept safely hot either..just logic to me. The a la cart upstairs has the exact same number of waiters for a quarter of the volume of people..hmmm? No reservations needed upstairs but they pretty well have 2 sittings (6:30 and 8)No shorts allowed aswell as no sandals for the guys. The Mexican a la cart down by the beach (opens at 7pm)serves terrible food. During the day that beach restaurant has fast food noon until around 5..not too bad tasting. I did have tummy troubles from day one but eased off near the end of our trip. Now here's the part that I cringe about..there are steps and stairs everywhere at this place. Everywhere! And in the 2 weeks we were there I witnessed 3 people fall badly (older and also younger people). I saw another man with a fresh gash on his leg too. I'm not normally a negative person but I have to be honest because that's what I appreciate about other reviews. The phones don't work in your room and the phones in the lobby to call out were out of order or you couldn't hear the person on the other end properly. The outings we went on through the representatives in the lobby were falsely advertised. We did go into Playa Del carmen with another couple in a taxi and that was great..watch out for vendors they always ask for twice what the item is worth..just walk away. And we rented a taxi and went to Xcaret which we LOVED!! It cost us less than the tour offered and we did what we wanted and came back when we had enough..no stupid wasted stops for shopping at ridiculously priced places. Tulum is beautiful too but we should have done that on our own too. The Transat flight was great and the Rep' Alex was very helpful. He warned us that 'there aren't any sharks in the water to worry about only the sharks walking the streets'. They don't have 5 kids to feed, they're doing very well apparently. And the bartender Jose, who I chatted with in the mornings while he made cappuccinos. He was the sweetest, friendliest guy in the world and he made our stay there pleasant..along with a few other fun guests. The recreation team can be annoying with their microphone anctics but I watched them interacting with the kids and they've 'got it'. The one show we stayed up for was very well done, they are quite talented musically. So that's it..oh and the coffee and tea machine by the bar is the hottest..the waiters typically serve luke warm coffee. Hope this was not too depressing for those of you going..we did have a wonderful time despite our surroundings.

• Stayed February 2006
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,560)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
york
Reviewed February 13, 2006

I had a group of 35 people stay the week of January 28 - February 4, 2006.

Check-in was the best check-in every. We did it on the bus from the airport to the hotel. We arrived at 9:30am in the morning. Of course rooms were not ready but remember check in is not until 3:00pm. Everyone enjoyed the use of the hotel. Luggage was stored and check-in did start at 3:00pm and not before.

Staff was friendly and helpful. The bar staff was AWESOME. Yes, they were busy and sometimes you had to wait. But your on vacation whats the hurry.

Food was good. Mexican at the pool was VERY good. Never ate at the other alternative one but people in the group did and liked it. Buffet had a great mix of foods. Even my picky eater's could find somrthing. The ice cream is the BEST!

The phone service was still not working. So walkie talkies are good to take. If you needed a wake up call. No problem they came to your room and knocked on the door.

The showers were great and very HOT! Rooms very clean and no BUGS. TV had about 15 channels.

The beach is wonderful.

Yes, there is a shortage of chairs but we always managed.

Playa Carmen is a excellant town to go to.

This is the second group I had to the hotel in 10 months. I have had a total of 120 people and everyone would go back.

Remember the staff works long days. If you want something try asking for it and you will receive it. Asking nicely does not hurt. This is not a 5 or 6 star it is a 4. The value is great and well worth it.

I wil be returning with another group at the end of the year and look forward to it!

• Stayed February 2006
12 Thank kimdon
ontario canada
Reviewed February 11, 2006

My wife and I arrived from Sudbury Ontario at the El Mandarin *Mayan Riviera* Jan.15th for 2 weeks. Believe me when I say this is NOT a 4* resort but a 2+* at the most. Room was very clean but the rest of the resort leaves much to be desired. Food is bland and always the same, strong sewage smell after a rain,never enough beach chairs unless you are up to reserve chairs at 6am, watered down drinks, not enough bartenders, most of the staff are not friendly, nobody will serve you wine unless you ask and forget about getting a refill, most of the time you need to clear the dirty dishes after you get other food at the buffet, mind you the (a la carte) is better if you don't mind standing in line for 40 minutes to make sure you get a table (no reservations)
no phone, tv sometimes works, no coffee maker or iron and board,entertainment is not so bad if you don't mind listening to American music, why go to Mexico for American music????, Mexican workers constantly working on the beach repairing hurricane damaged buildings, some of the Mexican workers even using storm damaged building to sleep, sure they were chased out but up to 3 of them came back the next night, constant vehicle traffic from the construction workers on the resort walkways and the beach. This is just to name a few of my complaints. In other words we were ripped off by AirTransat for this make believe 4* resort, Yes we have travelled before to other 4* resorts and they were 100% better. If you are thinking of staying at the El Mandarin I would stongly advise you to change your mind unless your trip will cost you the equivalent of a 2+* otherwise you will be ripped off. While at the resort I asked the opinion of oher seasoned travellers. They all said the same thing "for sure not a 4* and would never go back again" .Actually I'm very surprised there not more more complaints with this resort.

21 Thank zamilini
Calgary Alberta
Reviewed February 6, 2006

Stayed at the El Mandarin last March prior to hurricanes...atmopshere at the resort was great with activities galour around the pool. Rooms were modest but comfortable, clean and maintained. We had a small problem with a shower faucet on arrival but maintenance crew had it repaired immediately. Food at buffet was standard a.i. faire...couldn't get a good steak unless you paid extra, in the dining restaurant the best word we found to describe the 'beef steak' they did offer was, "flubber"...the servers and staff were excellent! The small dive shop on the premises run by Vicente Fito was outstanding!! We used them for our certification and had him take us over to Cozumel for a day...excellent!! We're heading back this coming week and will be looking up Vicente for future dives.
Overall, there's better things in the world to complain about...El Mandarin isn't one of them. Enjoy a modest accomodation with good value.

• Stayed March 2004
4 Thank jrburns
Grand Terre, New Caledonia
Reviewed February 5, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the resort with 2 of our friends from Jan.19th to Jan.26th. I found the resort itself ok. The staff was friendly and helpful . Adan was great in telling us about the excursions and which places to visit in town.
The grounds were very beautiful and clean.
The food was ok, I liked going to the a la carte restaurant, it was different from eating at the buffet all the time and seeing a lot of the same dishes.
The nightly entertainment was great!
The pool was very small and there wasn't a lot of room for chairs around the pool, had to sit at the beach all week (not that it's a bad thing).
I thought that there should be more bartenders so that the line ups wouldn't be as long...you should consider bringing your own mug as the cups are very small.
Our room was very clean. Had clean towels every day and hot water in the morning. The television did not work, there was no phone in the room and no alarm clock, oh well...we managed without!
I think that what makes this resort a good place to go to is the animation guys & gals! They were lots of fun!
Fran & Marc

8 Thank Framate1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from Jan 21-28. As many others have, we had read many of the reviews and were a little weary but nonetheless kept an open mind. Some of the bad things were no telephones, no remote for the TV, every now and then encountered the "sewer smell" (only after it rained),bank machine sometimes worked sometimes didn't, also you did have to get up early to save a beach/pool chair. How badly did this affect our trip.... Nil. There are phones in the lobby which is just a short and beautiful walk away (the grounds are quite beautiful and well kept). We were not there to watch TV and spent so little time in our room to be bothered by this smell everyone writes about. As far as the bank machines, well that was inconvenient a couple times, but again not a big deal. As far as the chairs, we would take turns and one of us would quickly get up go down to the beach, put a towel on the chairs and then be back in bed, all in about 5 min, then it was right back to sleep.
Some of the good things were definetely the people working there, clean rooms, good food and plenty of beautiful scenery. Everyone, starting from the front desk, to the room maids, to Baltazar the awesome bartender, to the fabulous entertainment and activities group, managed to make our stay a pleasant one. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Loved it! Especially Cuco, Israel, Lupita, Eric, Manolo, Alex Madeline and everyone else (you know who you are)you guys are awesome. We want to thank them for making us have so much fun.
Between the 3 restaurants, there are enough choices of food to not have the same food all the time. It was never cold and always quite tasty. There is enough of a variety to please everyone. The beach is quite beautiful, and although a little rocky here and there, some water shoes can fix that problem.
Overall, our stay was a pleasant one. The little "quarks " we experienced did not affect our vacation. There is plenty to do, or nothing at all if you want to simply relax.
Adios !
Mr. and Mrs. Mandarin
Please feel free to e-mail any questions

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2006

I agree with visitor from Montreal. I was there Jan.7-14th. We had to change rooms due to the horrible sewer smell in the main hotel building.
I was not amused at getting up every morning of my vacation just to grab a beach chair before they were gone. Food was ok, a lot of the same thing every day. Although the grounds were beautiful and staff helpful I wouldn't go back.

7 Thank CathyNewmarket
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,081 reviews
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#49 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,313 reviews

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!