I was there on my honeymoon for 2 weeks..just got back and burning to write a review. Before we left we didn't find many reviews of this place and I rely on other people's opinion before I go somewhere.
The first thing we encountered that bothered me was at the Cancun airport. When you're making your way to your bus, a number of very legitimate looking representatives approach you as if you are expected to go with them. They get behind their official looking posts and then bring out brochures of places to go and sites to see, all for a very reasonable rate.."better than any other deal around" they spew. Do not go with them..it's about time share condominiums; and while you may get something a little cheaper you will have to spend up to 4 hours sitting through one of their sales pitches.
So the Club El Mandarin..we arrived at 11am and could not get our room until 3pm. Although this place is kept clean they just don't have enough people where they should. The buffet is crowded most of the time and the waiters are run off their feet clearing dishes mostly. The tables are usually dirty unless you get there right when they open. And the food is left out for almost 4 hours at a time..be careful to go early. I don't care how well they keep things hot..the pancakes were hardly warm so I'm guessing the meat can't be kept safely hot either..just logic to me. The a la cart upstairs has the exact same number of waiters for a quarter of the volume of people..hmmm? No reservations needed upstairs but they pretty well have 2 sittings (6:30 and 8)No shorts allowed aswell as no sandals for the guys. The Mexican a la cart down by the beach (opens at 7pm)serves terrible food. During the day that beach restaurant has fast food noon until around 5..not too bad tasting. I did have tummy troubles from day one but eased off near the end of our trip. Now here's the part that I cringe about..there are steps and stairs everywhere at this place. Everywhere! And in the 2 weeks we were there I witnessed 3 people fall badly (older and also younger people). I saw another man with a fresh gash on his leg too. I'm not normally a negative person but I have to be honest because that's what I appreciate about other reviews. The phones don't work in your room and the phones in the lobby to call out were out of order or you couldn't hear the person on the other end properly. The outings we went on through the representatives in the lobby were falsely advertised. We did go into Playa Del carmen with another couple in a taxi and that was great..watch out for vendors they always ask for twice what the item is worth..just walk away. And we rented a taxi and went to Xcaret which we LOVED!! It cost us less than the tour offered and we did what we wanted and came back when we had enough..no stupid wasted stops for shopping at ridiculously priced places. Tulum is beautiful too but we should have done that on our own too. The Transat flight was great and the Rep' Alex was very helpful. He warned us that 'there aren't any sharks in the water to worry about only the sharks walking the streets'. They don't have 5 kids to feed, they're doing very well apparently. And the bartender Jose, who I chatted with in the mornings while he made cappuccinos. He was the sweetest, friendliest guy in the world and he made our stay there pleasant..along with a few other fun guests. The recreation team can be annoying with their microphone anctics but I watched them interacting with the kids and they've 'got it'. The one show we stayed up for was very well done, they are quite talented musically. So that's it..oh and the coffee and tea machine by the bar is the hottest..the waiters typically serve luke warm coffee. Hope this was not too depressing for those of you going..we did have a wonderful time despite our surroundings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico