“Good Resort, Watch the Food!”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #47 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Grand Falls Windsor, Canada
“Good Resort, Watch the Food!”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is a nice resort, the grounds and rooms are clean as well the staff are accommodating and approachable. I came to this resort with 9 friends in June 2014. The experience was dampened by the food and each of my friends had a similar experience. The entire week we were at the resort, my friends and I suffered very bad stomachs and at times had to rush to ours rooms to use the washroom (I am being as polite as possible around this, but feel free to use your imagination). I am uncertain if this was caused by the cooking practices or how they preserve the foods however it was to the point that I was afraid to eat lunch and dinner.

For this reason I will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Justin C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,559)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ft. Worth
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We happen to run into some bad rain storms last week, but still had a wonderful time. The welcoming attitude of the staff made the initial days go by nicely. The bartenders (Oli, Angel, Obsolon) were terrific and in addition to making a multitude of great drinks they were very friendly. The social activities staff (Mario, Poncho, et al) were very high energy and a ture pick up to the rainy days. Not to mention the energy they to perform in the theater the last evening. Alfredo, the chef at the teppanyaki restaurant was talented, happy and a real joy. In general all the people we noticed working there including the landscape staff were really hard workers. We wish the gulf water would have been more clear but the rain probably has something to do with that!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed at this resort last week and it was fantastic!

Checking in and out was a breeze, all of the staff were super friendly.

We traveled with a group of 10 and none of us bothered with the privileged package, seemed like a waste of money in my opinion.

I was a little worried that we wouldn't get into the restaurants because of the hotels first come first serve policy but we got into all of them with ease. The only trouble we ran into was with the blue moon, due to a 45 min wait we opted for the buffet and ate at the blue moon the following night. The following night we went to the blue moon when it open and got in no problem. The blue moon requires men to wear pants.

The resort and rooms were very clean and well kept. Everyone working at the hotel was polite and friendly. The bar tenders were super nice especially Ali at the main lobby bar!

If you are looking for a party/dance bar scene this is not the one for you. The resort does have a disco/dance floor every night after the shows but there were never many people around. We saw 3 shows the hip hop, Broadway and Mayan dancers. The Mayan dancers were my favorite but none of the shows were anything special.

I really enjoyed the food although I would suggest you take lots of pepto as it was hard on the stomach.

There is a jungle run at the resort which we attempted to walk but we were attacked by flies! Unless your going to run it stay away! Other then a few small bites from the beach we did not run into any other bugs.

Overall the resort was great! Would highly recommend!

Excursion suggestions:
I would suggest going to coco bongo! Amazing night out!
Would also highly highly recommend explora adventours! WOW! amazing sea turtle and cenotes snorkeling tours!
Go see the ruins if you have a chance. Yes, chitzen itza is a long drive but totally worth it! Also if you go to ek balam you can climb the ruins which is super cool.

We did manage to get roped into a best day trip to 5th ave for "free". The representative asked us for a $5 deposit for each person which was suppose to be returned to us the day of the trip, which it was not! He said the deposit was just in case they came to get us and we didn't show. DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM! What a waste of time! They bring you to a jewelry store which you have to stay at for 1.5 hours!! If we had our time back we would have just gotten a cab to 5th ave and stayed away from best day!

Room Tip: Get a second floor room!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jump3301
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights at Ocean Maya Royale (OMR) end of May/early June. We are H10 Premium members, and we have previously been to sister properties Ocean Coral & Turquesa (OCT) in Puerto Morales, and Ocean Blue & Sand (OBS) in Dominican Republic. Some of my comments in this review will compare our experiences at this property to the others.

PROPERTY
On par with other H10 resorts, the grounds are lush and gorgeous and constantly being maintained. Lots of wildlife appear, and some are quite friendly due to guests feeding them. If you don’t want surprise visitors on your porch, request an upper level room. The size of the property is about a quarter of the OCT or OBS so it is a much smaller, quieter and more intimate environment than the others. There were some mosquitoes at night but nothing overwhelming, at least not in the public areas nor our room. We came prepared with OFF but never needed it.

ROOMS
Privilege rooms were very large, modern, quiet, and comfortable. Beds were decent pillow-tops and much more comfortable than those at OCT or OBS. Standard pillows are horribly lumpy but we requested others from the Privilege pillow menu and they were much better. Daily maid service, daily minibar service, and nightly turndown service were provided. As others have noted, the privilege room “Royale” building is close to the lobby and furthest from the pools and bar. While we appreciated the convenience to the lobby due to unexpected torrential rains during our visit, it sure seems very odd to put your “VIP” guests furthest from the ocean. OBS and OCT have this set up much better. I have provided a photo of a property map here with my review.

BEACH/POOLS
A reality of much of the Riviera Maya coast is that seaweed accumulates near and on the shore, and exactly how much depends on the weather and currents on any given day. The resort staffers do clean it up regularly when it hits shore, and sometimes it is OK to swim in, but others it is quite thick and undesirable for swimming. OMR’s beach essentially has 3 sections. To the left is the privilege beach which has a small open area of waterfront between a pier separating the neighboring resort, and a protected boardwalk which is in front of the main guest beach. The third area is another wider area of open beach near the Dive-It shack, and while there are chairs in that area, there are no palapas and I’m unsure if there is bar service on that side. It seems a shame that they chose the small and more sea-weedy area as the Privilege beach and lounge area. Seems like the other side would have been a nicer area. We did make the 10 minute walk down to the lagoon just past BlueBay and it was a worthwhile visit. It was a bit strange that we could not exchange our Privilege towels at the beach itself – we had to wait for housekeeping to do it in our rooms, or go get our towel cards to use at the poolside towel cart. There are 2 large pools, one quieter and one with a pool bar and they are right next to each other. We found them to be clean and with chairs accessible no matter when we visited.

FOOD
Unlike the OCT and OBS, we were pretty much able to walk up and be seated at any of the restaurants we wanted without reservations. The concierge warned us to avoid the 7:30-8 rush and we did notice places tended to get busier then. From 6-7 you could really walk in anywhere with no wait. We found the food at OMR to be quite good, and of higher quality overall than both OBS and OCT. Some of this may be due to the other resorts being family-orientated and them trying to tailor the food selections to younger palates. We visited the buffet or El Charro for breakfasts and lunches but for dinners we tried Dolce Vita, Blue Moon, and Yokooso and enjoyed all of our meals. We were only disappointed in the breakfast variety and quality at the Privilege lounge, which ironically we found to be superior at the other 2 properties. There was a daily poolside lunch cookout, weather permitting. Unlike OCT and OBS, this property’s Mike’s Coffee is only open at night for coffee and (great!) desserts. We utilized room service once and it was delivered promptly.

SPA
I took them up on an offer for a massage, mini facial and body scrub for $165 US our first day there and was not disappointed. Luis did a fantastic job and I highly recommend. One word of advice – pay at the spa when you arrive or are finished. If you try to “add it to your room” at checkout, you have to pay an upcharge.

STAFF
We have always enjoyed the staff at all the resorts but we found the staff at this resort overall to be the nicest and friendliest of all. Still at just about any resort there are often a select few folks who manage to make your trip a little more memorable and I will list our favorites here. The staff are recognized by management for your Tripadvisor mentions, so be sure to give them earned credit where due. Special thanks to our beverage and meal servers Oli, Azucena, Tony, Angel, Eber, and Oscar, and also to Denise at the front desk for being so friendly, attentive, and fun. One improvement opportunity is the main gift shop. One rainy day with nothing better to do I was perusing the store and looking for shirts and sizes, while three clerks were busy chatting away by the checkout and never once offered to help.

ENTERTAINMENT
There was a nightly entertainer in or near the lobby of some sort, and a nightly show by the entertainment staff at 9. On 2 of the nights we were there a dance band played from 10pm+. The shows are not my favorite thing to do but the few I looked in on seemed OK. The theater itself is much nicer than OCT’s, and during the day it houses a few pool and pingpong tables for guest use. I would like to see them offer a DJ or something at night poolside or in the lobby like the OCT does. As an adults only resort, there wasn’t a lot of late night activity geared towards adults after around 10pm. Perhaps they are just encouraging people to go to nearby Coco Bongo which has a full time ticketing rep on site (?).

PRIVILEGE/VIP
Aside from the increased liquor selection, there aren’t a lot of “privileges” worth paying extra for at this resort. Now at OCT and OBS, I think it is much more worthwhile. The privilege lounge here seems a bit of an afterthought. We really missed the private bar and dining that OCT’s lounge offers, and at the larger resorts, the ability to make dinner reservations is a bit more important. At the same time, there is no time-share or vacation club pressure at this resort – something quite prevalent at the other 2. Quite likely this is all due to the clientele mix and property size.

OFF-PROPERTY
Onsite the Dive-it shop offers a lot of water activity options, some for free and some for a fee. We weren’t able to take advantage of any due to the weather and rough waters, but we would have like to try the daily reef snorkel that leaves at 12:30 daily for $35 US. There is a daily group shuttle that goes to downtown Playa del Carmen for only $10 per person round trip from Noon to 5pm which offers ample time to shop and have lunch on 5th Ave. A private cab is around $20 each way. If you don’t feel like venturing out, they have some vendors in the lobby area a few nights a week offering local trinkets. Many other excursions are available from the operators that office on site but we did not do any of them on this particular vacation.

OVERALL
We always believe that you will be treated as well as you treat others and to that end, we have nothing but great things to say about all of the staff at OMR. Sometimes we Americans expect an American pace or expect American customs, but you have to remember you are not in America and go with the flow sometimes. It does not mean you are getting bad service, just a different experience. Tips are not expected but tips make up the vast amount of the service staff’s wages, so there is nothing wrong with giving them a little something for good service at the bars. If we know we will be camping out for awhile we give them a $5 - 10 in the beginning and our drink never runs dry. At restaurants we give at least $5.
This resort met my expectations but did not do a lot to exceed them, particularly as compared to our experiences on the sister properties. I haven't been to non-H10 properties in Riviera Maya to offer that sort of comparison. While there is nothing the resort could do about three days straight of hard rains and not much else to do, they did fail to seize an opportunity to exceed a very captive audience’s expectations. By day 3, guests were getting bored and touchy, so they could have really ramped up the entertainment staff’s offering of games and activities, and entertainment options. On one afternoon did they have a very limited offering of painting shirts, and more of that sort of thing would have been quiet a welcome surprise and gone a long way to improve guest morale. On a positive note they did a good job of adjusting staffing to the areas that were more populated during the rains, including opening Mike’s one morning for coffee to ease the lobby bar coffee traffic.
Overall I would definitely go back if I’m looking for a smaller, quieter, adult crowd and reliable friendly staff. We met so many nice people from all over the world and that in itself makes for a fun and memorable vacation.

Room Tip: If you are an H10 Premium member, ask for an oceanview room that is not in the Privilege building.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Villette N
Allen, Texas
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at the Ocean Maya Royale and will share a few thoughts. I try to compare resorts not to be derogatory towards peoples favorite vacation spots, but to give those who have never been, a perspective of what to expect, or how much to invest vs other properties.
There were positives and negatives to this resort.
Positive:
It is an adults only. I did not think this was a big deal until I stayed at their sister resort the Ocean Coral and Turquesa, and was inundated with under age 5 children. It may have the most beautiful grounds I have seen in over a dozen resorts. Wonderfully romantic strolls can be had in the evenings. Drinks were well made and not weak or overly sweet. Rooms were very clean.
Negatives:
Every resort I have been to except Zoetry (which is not anywhere near the same class of resort) has been understaffed. Part is by design. If I have only a few bartenders, then they can only serve a finite amount of people, and the resort has less consumption of alcohol which saves the resort money. OMR was rediculous. There are only 2 bars available to guests and the restaurants use the bars to supply their drinks. At one point there was 1 poor bartender at the pool bar with over 25 people waiting in line.
The food was below average at the buffet from other resorts, and the Japanese restaurant was terrible. I have never seen fried rice cooked without butter, salt and pepper. No seasoning on the meats, and the cook actually prepared the beef, chicken and shrimp in one big pile. It was the only restaurant at any resort I have been to that did not offer dessert. The Blue Moon was much better.
We lost power our first night. Now normally I would not mention this. After all it is Mexico and these things happen, but I have never stayed at a resort where the power was totally out for over 8 hours, and I have read reviews where the power has gone out before. It is a great challenge when you cannot open your patio door without letting in 10,000 mosquitos and you are suffocating in your room trying to sleep (the power went out at night). It is just something to keep in mind if are deciding between resorts.
Beach is not good, but we knew that before booking. Didn't think it would matter, but honestly, we go to this area to enjoy the beauty of the environment and people. We paid very little, but even with what we paid, we could have booked a nicer room in Playa del Carmen and eat/drink really well for less money, and Playa's beach was fabulous this year. I regretted I did not do that.
It is impossible to not have a good time at a location where you can eat and drink all you want with wonderfully warm people who try to make your vacation memorable. Having said that, I think there are better options in a similar price range. We paid $140 a night (not pp) and I would not do it again. Anyone who pays over $200 is just missing out on other much better resorts (prices are low season in May).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MikeL776
Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two weeks from Friday 23rd May to 6th June with my boyfriend & his parents.
We really enjoyed our time at this hotel, they staff were extremely friendly & polite. They all said hello every time you walked by them.
The hotel was extremely well kept & clean.
The pool was lovely, there was a pool with a swim up bar which had daily activities & a quieter pool for relaxing in.
Food was great, loads of choice.
All positive & would return & recommend.
The only negative thing I can say is that the pillows on the bed are quite lumpy.
All in all a great holiday :-)

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Tracey G
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed here from May 10 for two weeks, it was our second stay in Mexico and down beat the hotel we stayed in last year..the grounds are kept absolutley immaculate and are a joy to wander round, the beach though small is beautiful and not rocky. The staff are very very friendly and work extremely hard. The food was amazing and this is coming from a fussy eater! Breakfast was excellent lots of choice and a big shout out for Silvia and her yummy omelettes!!!
The four a la carte restaurants were fantastic...special mention to Nick at the Yookoso Oriental restaurant who gave a cooking demo....well worth a look...and fabulous food. The bar waiting staff dont stop and a special mention for Tila and Yovanetti. I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat and some of the negative reviews on here really do surprise me, we had an "awesome" time here and would definitely return in the future!! We made some great new friends too.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tracey W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,046 reviews
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#49 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,294 reviews

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!