We have just had an 11 night holiday at the Ocean Maya Royale an adult only hotel in Playa del Carmen. We had a good holiday in a lovely hotel. Our room was spacious and very clean with a small terrace, and a nice bathroom. We had problems getting hot water each time we used the shower but if you waited long enough it always came through. The room was cleaned daily. The hotel and grounds were immaculate being maintained what seemed liked 24/7.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, a great animation team who weren't intrusive at all. There are two large pools one quiet the other at times very noisy but you had a choice plus there is the beach which again was continually being cleaned. There was the usual problem with sun beds/parasols being available and having to get up at 6am to reserve them (or even earlier) quite ridiculous. We heard that some were being reserved as early as 4am!!!!!!! The parasols by the pool are in short supply and too small, plus being fixed to the ground you can't move them when the sun moves which could do with being changed. If two people are sharing a parasol often only one can sit in the shade because as the sun moves you need to move the shade as there isn't room to move the chairs.
The food was good but lacked a bit of wow factor, plenty of choice, and what we had was good. The a la carte restaurants were really disappointing, the Japanese restaurant was awful the only good memory from there was our waiter who was so funny, the Mexican was disappointing the worst Mexican food we have ever had, the Italian again disappointing. We couldn't understand why people were being turned away when there was several empty tables, it did make sense. The Blue Moon was OK but had no atmosphere and the food was pretty average. The drinks/bar service was good but the cocktails were inconsistent in taste, I noticed that sometimes 3 ingredients were added and other times 4 ingredients to the same drink. I was quite alarmed to see the barman take a bottle of clear "spirit" and pour it on the bar and then wipe with a cloth to clean the bar surface at the end of the day, if it's cheap enough to use as a cleaning liquid I'm not sure I want to be drinking it.
The hotel is isolated and a taxi is required to go into to Playa de Carmen.
Evening entertainment was average with lots of miming by the entertainers which was not to our taste, good dancing and costumes but too much miming. Some good singers during the early part of the evening but they were only on stage for a short while before the "shows".
Overall a great hotel if you want to chill out and not go exploring or are happy to be in a hotel for the duration or pay for taxis to escape to some nightlife or shops and bars etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico