“Awesome Getaway”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #44 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Ocean Maya in June 2013. We had a fabulous time at the resort. The lobby was beautiful and the room was very clean. Never had a problem getting pool chairs with an umbrella. Canopy beds usually opened up in the afternoon, so we hopped on those later. I was pleasantly surprised by the buffet. I am a vegetarian and was always able to find an abundance of choices. We tried all 3 restaurants and liked the Mexican the best. Was not impressed with the Italian restaurant. Staff was very friendly and we loved how when we sat down at a table, a drink was handed to us immediately (and they were all very good!). The only thing I was disappointed with was the beach. Not as nice as I would have hoped. Overall, the trip was great!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I would also like to thank you that even you travelled in June, you still have taken the time to share with us your great experience during your holidays. It is wonderful to read that you both had a great time with us.

We hope to see you soon!!

Kind regards,

Maria Lopez
Subdirectora
Ocean Maya Royale
subdireccion.hhm@h10hotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,901)

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This was my first time to Mexico and I was very pleased with the Ocean Maya Royale.... I travelled alone and was made to feel most welcome..
My arrival was refreshing and I was greeted with organized well trained reception staff.,,,Bravo
The lobby and the grounds are very impressive, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful, at no time did a staff person walk by without saying hello and giving a smile.
The food is outstanding, plenty of variety and always available, chefs above average and very attentive to everyone's requests.
My room was adequate with welcomed a/c and always refreshed daily as well as the mini bar.
I enjoyed the beach, I enjoyed the Caribbean Sea till the crocodile came for a visit, then I equally enjoyed the pool. Fresh towels always available. The availability to enjoy a variety of fruit drinks was a pleasant treat. Bartenders always busy but always quick to serve.
Security was very attentive and always present.
Mike's coffee shop was pleasing and i always enjoyed seeing Mary.
All the wait staff goes the extra mile but Yovenetti is outstanding.
I appreciated the attention to detail on Christmas eve, the extra work involved to create an eye appealing display of ice figures, an outstanding meal and a delightful show .
The entertainment staff is hard working and aim to please all having high energy.
I was pleasantly overwhelmed to relax and enjoy the talented alto / tenor saxophonist John Talin . His approach was professional and his music created a soothing , heart felt atmosphere in the lobby, Well done !
Thank you for a great holiday ! *****

Room Tip: I was in the 2300 section approx. in the center of everything and it was easy to walk to everywhere...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank glenda959
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Had a great time at this resort, food was great , loved the no reservation walk in part. The coati animals (about 25 I think, that I saw) were fun to see, and the fish at the right hand side of the beach were fun to feed with bits of bread. A great resort over all , a good beach to the right hand side with white sand. The only negative part of the trip was one excursion that had 45 min of quad riding and 45 min of power boating. The boating only turned out to be 20 min and I wrote that on the questionair at the end of trip and complained to rep who booked us. They got a hold of the manager of that place and as a result we got half our money back. We were two couple so it cost them a few $ for refund. Other than that everything was great .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Muray W
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is our second all inclusive resort, the first was in Akumal. I would highly recommend this place! The staff are very friendly and they remembered us from one day to the next. One gentleman in particular, Daniel Ara Castro, was especially helpful and amiable. He was our bartender at the pool, our waiter in the privilege area, and our waiter for our special romantic dinner. He really did a nice job of making sure we were well taken care of...something I really appreciated as I wasn't feeling well. The grounds and the rooms are amazing. The beach is tiny, but the pools make up for it. The food was pretty good, something for all palates. The drinks were also great. It was really nice to be able to schedule excursions right there in the lobby. On a IDE note, the jewelry shop in the lobby, Adamanto, has great prices on quality silver jewelry....no rip offs! We almost got taken in Playa Del Carmen, but we were much to savvy for the sharks!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Privilege option!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shelly G
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We visited OMR Dec. 19-26, 2013. This was our 24th Caribbean trip, to provide a bit of background and demonstrate how our opinions are based. Although we are offering a lengthy review below with details, in summary we found OMR to be lacking. There seemed to be a very “hands off” policy by resort management. We normally observe and meet many supervisors and managers during our visits. The only supervisor we met was of Guest Services, Sabrina, who was a pleasure even though the purpose of our meeting was to advise of problems we had. The only day that we observed management at this resort was on Christmas Eve when they were preparing for a celebratory function. Perhaps this lack of interest, combined with an insufficient amount of staff, is what has led to the unsatisfactory performance by many wait staff which was our primary issue with this resort. Also, perhaps if management participated in the day-to-day activities more, they would recognize problems without a guest having to advise them.
We found OMR to be a beautiful resort. It is extremely clean and well maintained. We loved the many areas for sitting and having conversation, but found the furnishings in the areas to be too deep and/or too low for most guests to sit comfortably. Also, it was awkward to converse with the tour operator while sitting on a low sofa. A table or desk provided for the tour operators and chairs for the guests would be more efficient.
Our check-in was conducted by Antonio. Although his name tag indicated he was in training, it was evident he has worked in customer service in the past. We took the opportunity to speak with him several times during our visit because he was such a nice and pleasant young man.
Upon arrival, immediately after check-in we were required to listen to an invitation to visit a “project.” We were polite and stayed seated, but this intrusion on our vacation was not appreciated. We have received written invitations for various visits or reviews at other resorts, but have not had to use our time to listen to a sales pitch. This process should be omitted.
The room was one of the top three we have had and the room was very well maintained and very, very clean. We were especially happy with the shower and AC in our room. The reading lights were also much appreciated. Those are sometimes a problem. The resort and our room were very quiet, with the exception of our last night. There was apparently a band playing and the music was so loud that our room door was vibrating. This went from 10 PM to midnight. Our room was always cleaned perfectly. Our housekeeper was Claudia and when we saw her, she was always friendly. Our only suggestions for improvement of the room are: 1) a bench or handle in the shower; 2) more lighting in the vanity area; and 3) a full-length mirror in the room.
I did have a massage at OMR, which I normally do not do. The price was reasonable and the massage (by Aida) was one of the best I have ever had. I also had a manicure (package deal) by Gris which was very nice.
We also attended three shows. There is a very small entertainment staff and they work very hard and put a lot of effort in their performances. It’s not Vegas, and we don’t expect that, so we were very happy with the shows.
The beach was fine for us; however, anyone considering OMR should be aware that due to erosion there are sand bags and a “boardwalk” along most of the beach front, with two small areas for access to the ocean, one at each end of the property. The water is not generally the Caribbean turquoise, but less clear. The resort has done what it can to make the beach attractive, but if getting in the ocean means a lot to you, you probably do not want this beach. Although one day we did have crocodiles in the ocean, that is not normal (I believe it is the only occurrence) and the resort has no control over Mother Nature or her children.
The other oddity we found was that there is no wait service on the beach unless you are in the Privilege section. The beach bars are close by, but this is the first resort we have visited that did not offer that service. When I mentioned it to resort staff, I was advised that they did not offer that service, only for Privilege services, but a few days later we did have a waitress – for a day. We normally obtained drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) from the El Charro juice bar. Although the drinks were of good quality, the bartender was not very friendly. He did his job but the friendly conversation and anticipation of what you wanted to drink (some of us always have the same thing) was missing. At least his drinks were good. The drinks and service we had from the lobby bar were of a lesser quality. In fact the drinks we had the first day or so were so bad, I left mine. We did much better in the lobby if we were lucky enough to have Yovenetti wait on us. She was a pleasure to meet and was the epitome of the personality we are accustomed to meeting on other visits.
Our problem with this resort was service for dining. It appeared to us that the dining areas were severely understaffed. There is only one option for breakfast (unless you have Privilege services) and sometimes there were only two wait staff at breakfast. There were seldom sufficient wait staff given the number of guests. Food items were not replenished and hot items were sometimes cold. At other resorts, we normally observe supervising chefs testing temperature of food items during dining. We did not observe that at this resort – for the first three days or so and sporadically after that.
I advised Guest Services of the poor dining service and beverage quality and submitted a written complaint on our second day. I also advised our tour company who in turn emailed the resort management. The response to me from the resort staff was to advise that they had plenty of staff, just the staff sometimes needed to be elsewhere (which indicates not enough staff) and to offer us Privilege services, which we declined. We advised that we did not want anything special, just the normal service for which we were paying. The response from the resort to our tour company was that there was no understaffing, no service problem – see Trip Advisor reviews, and that we had been offered Privilege services and declined.
Although the quality of the drinks improved for the most part, the dining service was still hit or miss, being good only about a third of the time. Once we were seated and approached by a wait staff and requested water (always requested, only coffee was ever offered, all the other resorts we have visited automatically served you water upon sitting), sometimes we would receive it shortly, but many times the wait staff would bus other tables before serving us our beverage. Most of the time, our dirty plates sat on the table where we would stack them before being cleared off. We were almost never offered a beverage refill and had to beckon the wait staff to request more. Only three times were we asked if we wished to have a hot beverage with our dessert – two of which were in the Italian specialty restaurant. Although we maintain that we do not believe the dining areas, especially the buffet, were appropriately staffed despite resort management’s assertion to the contrary, we did observe some wait staff who simply did not seem to want to serve guests attentively.
At one lunch at the beach buffet, the waitress brought one of our party a beverage, but we had to ask for a refill at the same time – twice. Also, she walked by and did not clear our table although we had at least three dirty dishes at that time. The hostess also walked by (she was assisting with bussing tables) and ignored our plates. They appeared to be clearing dirty plates only when the guests left and they were getting them ready for the next round of guests.
At one breakfast, I finally started putting dirty dishes on an adjacent table to make room. The waiter had walked by repeatedly and would sometimes carry one plate, but only one, to the bus cart. On at least two occasions, I picked up my empty glass and carried it through the dining room, past a waiter and past the maître de, to refill it with water. The staff looked at me, saw me, and did not offer any refill or assistance. The only good experiences we had with the dining buffet service were when we had Virginia as a waitress in the morning and Lorena as a waitress at dinner. Unfortunately we only had them each for two occasions. They provided prompt, friendly, and professional service which is what we expect from a resort. They were truly a delight.
We found the food to be at best average. The one food item we all agreed was wonderful was the rice that was offered at the breakfast buffet. Many times the food was presented beautifully, but was lacking in taste. My husband is vegetarian and he had very little choice during our visit. There were plenty of warm meat dishes, but not so much warm vegetable dishes. Even a lot of the cold dishes had meat or seafood in them. There were not always identifying cards, so we had to really examine before partaking. At other resorts, we have asked chefs if there is meat or meat product in dishes, but there were not chefs in the area to ask. The only chefs were the ones preparing individual food items and they were constantly busy. The lunch buffet at El Charro offered very little variety for any of us, and almost nothing for my husband, not even to make a salad. The pizza served at lunch was awful – and my husband likes almost all pizza. He would not even eat it after the first time. The Mexican restaurant offered only fajitas as a vegetarian selection. We were shocked as we frequently dine at Mexican restaurants with a large vegetarian selection. We did not attempt the other specialty restaurants. Luckily, the Italian restaurant offered a variety of pastas and the service was wonderful normally. Our first dining service experience there was not good. It once again appeared the wait staff was overwhelmed. They were doing their best, but needed more wait staff. Our second and third visits were wonderful and we were served by Primotivo, Denis, and Jose.
Most resorts have a couple of vegetarian selections at each restaurant, and some have a vegetarian menu for each restaurant. Even if there are not vegetarian selections, most resorts will accommodate by “converting” some of the menu items by omitting the meat and replacing it with beans, vegetables, and/or cheese, as appropriate. This was not offered at all. Also, room service was only included for Privilege services and was very limited. All the resorts we have visited have included room service for all guests and had a much more extensive room service selection.
My review is lengthy for a couple of reasons. Since the resort management appears to be of the opinion that if it is not mentioned on Trip Advisor, it is not a fact, I wanted to make sure that I mentioned the things which we considered issues, most of which I verbally and in writing advised during our visit. I am not sure what percentage of OMR guests have experienced Caribbean resorts. My thought is perhaps a low percentage and they therefore were not aware of the “normal” Caribbean service and how OMR service was lacking. We consider our resort priorities 1) beach, 2) service, 3) food, 4) beverage, 5) room and 6) resort grounds. The only categories which we rate OMR with a high score are the latter two. Our vacation time is too valuable to spend at a resort which in our opinion does not earn a good rating in at least a few of the first four categories. The beach is sufficient for us – we don’t need to get in the ocean and the resort has done everything they can to make it attractive and comfortable (other than have wait service on the beach). However the service was so poor, combined with at best average food and beverage, that it was not the vacation we are accustomed to nor had expected.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Yucatan-Admirer
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Hy,

I was on Ocean in late of September this year with my wyfe in our honey moon.

We're from Romania, we didn't had troubles at the arrive in Mexico City. In Mexico was a little cold in the night and we had a little worried but when we arrived in Cancun the weather was great.

The Ocean Maya it's a very good resort and the adult only program is wonderful. You can do everything you want when you want :).

At the entrance of resort you will find some tourism agency and it's good to take some trip starting second day. You can make awesome trip to akumal, tulum, to see the coral, the big turtles, the Mayan people.

The people from resort make us a surprise and we arrived at 2 o'clock in the morning and in our room we had sampain, strawberry fill with black and white chocolate and a romantic dinner from them.

An wise advice is in the morning when you go to lunch to leave your towels on the sunny beds to have it all day.

We 've had a very romantic and relaxed honey moon and we planned to go back next year olso.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cosmin I
Reviewed December 26, 2013

So I have now been to Catalonia Royal Tulum, Riu Cancun, The Royal Playa Del Carmen, and I have to say in my opinion the Ocean Maya Royale is far superior to all the rest. This trip could not have been more perfect. Check in and check out were 5 minutes max for each. Easiest check in/out ever. Welcome drink, ride to your bungalow, and luggage arrived 5 minutes later. Perfect.

The grounds are STUNNING. Absolute beauty everywhere you look. Instead of “hotel rooms” there are villas containing 8 guest rooms. I really liked that. We arrived to find chocolate covered strawberries, a bottle of wine and a bottle of tequila in each of our rooms. Minifridge restocked daily. Maid service was good.

The food, crazy good. Presentation, flavor, variety, we all loved it. There was a large buffet (some themed nights), a Mexican restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a Japanese restaurant that you could reserve a show cooking table (AWESOME TIME!), and the day before we arrived they opened their new French restaurant (requires more formal dress). They were all incredible. And the best part, no reservations required. Quite unusual for Mexico. We never waited more than 5 minutes to be seated and they always accommodated our party of 8 with a smile.

Several in our party either got massages, pedicures or manicures. Everyone was very satisfied with their services, and they did run specials/deals. The spa staff were wonderful. And you can schedule a time to use the hot tub in the spa for a ½ hour free of charge. Just need to make a reservation. I was glad I read that on TripAdvisor.

The entertainment staff at this hotel are some very hard working people. They lead yoga, dance lessons, games, Texas Hold ‘em, Sushi making lessons, archery, etc, all day long and then they also do the shows at night. There was always something to do if you wanted to.

The pools, fantastic. They have both a quiet pool and a “party” pool. The party pool was never loud or out of control. It is the pool with the swim up bar. This pool was by far the busiest, but in no way crowded. We made many friends in this pool. There was an activities team who were just fabulous and made efforts to include you but not pushy. I am usually a beach person but spent a lot of my day by this pool. It was just too fun.

The beach is the nicest of all the resorts in this area. Very, very clean. There is a big boardwalk that goes up in front of a good portion of the beach. It’s been put there to stop the beach erosion so many of the other resorts in the area are experiencing. There is still plenty of beach with ocean entry on either side of this boardwalk. TONS of beach chairs and a good amount of beach beds. I’ve seen reviews about the water not being the beautiful turquoise blue. This is true, but that is true for all of Playa. It’s in the mangrove areas so when the ocean is wavy there is sand and whatnot churned up in the water. It is still beautiful and lots of swimming going on. If you want perfect turquoise waters you need to go further south to Tulum.

The staff is the best part of this hotel. They are outstanding. The waiters, maids, groundskeepers, entertainment staff, front desk staff, etc., are all very hardworking and always smiling. They always say Hola when passing you. When you say “thank you,” their response was always, “It is my pleasure.” And I think they mean it! I spoke with one waiter quite a bit and he informed me he has worked at this resort for 14 years, and it is a very good place to work. It must be because I didn’t see one grumpy worker the entire week. We tend to tip in Mexico, and our group were good tippers. Some of our group waited until the end to tip, and they received the same good service all week despite not knowing they would be tipped at the end. So though tipping is truly appreciated, I feel they provide great service to all and tips are just a bonus. A big shout our to those who really made our trip: Annie, Poncho, Daniel Ara Castro, Manuel, the pool bar waiters and the saxophone player (wish I could remember their names!).

We also hired the hotel photographer to take professional pics of our group together and as couples on the beach, hotel grounds, etc. Our pictures are lovely.

We booked a deep sea fishing trip with Jose whom we met at the pool. Jose and his guys knew what they were doing. I can’t believe how many fish we caught so fast. Anyone who enjoys this type of fishing should definitely go out with this group. The other ships around us weren’t catching anything and we caught 15 big fish in one hour. Awesome.

I must also mention there were all ages, all walks of life, all shapes and sizes at this hotel. Mainly couples. All guests were extremely friendly. Perhaps the friendliest guest interaction I have ever encountered at a resort. A day at the pool was a day of chatting in the pool, beverage in hand, meeting other resort guests.

We just cannot fault this hotel. We go to Mexico every two year and have already decided we are going back to Ocean Maya for 10 days over Christmas in 2015. This will be the first time I have returned to a resort, and I can't wait to do so!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple