“Mixed feelings ..but not a bad trip overall”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #47 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Waterloo ON
“Mixed feelings ..but not a bad trip overall”
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a 6 day trip to this hotel. We have traveled to Dominican,Jamaica, and st.lucia so you can say we have some experience when it comes to all inclusives. However, we are not ones to complain ! I am only giving my honest opinion. The staff are amazing but they are short staffed!! It takes some time to receive service at the restaurants and for the cleaning ladies, our room didn't get made up until 5 pm one day! our room wasnt ready in time when
we first arrived at the hotel either, which was a bit annoying. It wasnt ready until 5 pm. Also, They don't offer turn down service. This is the first hotel that I have seen that doesn't do this. The cleaning ladies are good but some things are missed like stocking enough towels and taking out garbage.
They do have lumpy hard pillows. i did not get very restful sleeps because of this. If you like your pillow plush you won't find them here unfortunately. The lounge chair reservations is ridiculous. Don't expect to find a lounge chair by the pool at 10 am. And you will have a hard time finding a good seat by the beach unless you wake up at 7 am to reserve your chair.

Ok now for the positives: the food is great. We liked the Italian but loved the Asian restaurant! Watching the chef cook for us was a great experience.
The entertainment staff kind of make this resort! They are a great group and really lift this hotel up a step. The evening shows were great.
Mike's cafe is a nice touch for an afternoon specialty coffee.
Pools were nice and clean.
Rooms were spacious.
So overall, we think this resort is about 3.5 to 4 stars. For the price it is worth it. I wish I brought my own pillow so I could have gotten some good sleeps though. We probably won't return but only because there are so many other hotels to try.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank HL84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,582)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Poole
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We visited the Ocean Maya in early May 2013 for 2 weeks. The hotel is all inclusive and has four restaurants, international buffet, Japanese, Italian and Mexican, all served excellent food. We liked that you were not restricted to the number of visits to specialist restaurants during your stay and that these required no prior booking. Drinks were generally excellent. Rooms were well appointed and in small blocks across a reasonable sized site, with its own beach frontage. There was a noisier pool area and a quieter pool and surrounding area. In common with some these hotels they operated a premium upgrade which offered additional areas, facilities and separate sun loungers, we didn't book this and I am glad we didn't book it as it didn't seem to add much. We read other reviews that supported this view. We were pleased that this was a over 18 only hotel as this removed any noisy children, but loud Americans could make up for this in the noisy pool area. We didn't visit during the famous American Spring break, by all accounts it is worth avoiding this period if you want a quieter holiday. There was a live entertainment every night, which was good. cleanliness of the rooms and general area was excellent. Overall the staff and the hotel were excellent. Brits need to understand that a small tip for drinks and meal service works wonders, even in this all inclusive hotel, the Americans tip all the time. The hotel only had free wifi in the main area and we were advised that the pay to use wifi in the rooms was not reliable and therefore we didn't buy this. The only problem we had was getting picked up by a local dive operator who we arranged to dive with, I could understand the hotels reluctance to allow them on site initially, security needs to be strict, but we told the reception staff and they knew they were picking us up they still refused to allow them on site, suggesting we might like to walk the mile to the main road with about 50kg of dive equipment. We only resolved this when I made it very clear how annoyed I was and that I would take a taxi to the end of the road and bill the hotel the cost. I subsequently took this up with the tour rep and finally received an apology. I think their reluctance to have another dive operator pick us up was because the on site operator wanted to charged nearly double what we negotiated with a local operator in Playa del Carmen. Top tips; Go diving with Mikes Diving in Playa del Carmen, the diving is excellent. Get away from the insulation of a secure all inclusive resort and visit Playa del Carmen. Take a ferry to Cozumel for the day. We did Tulmen, but would book a taxi or bus next time, we spent more time picking up and dropping of people at other hotels, it was more of a tour of hotels than a historical excursion. Overall this hotel is excellent, don't be put off by our pick up problem.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DorsetMark
Reviewed September 11, 2013

What I can I say about ocean maya that I didnt cover in my first review, although the weather has not been at its best my holiday was still brilliant and I owe all that too 3 amazing people and they are the very hard working members of the entertainment team, ANI,GIOVANNI and ARTURO thank you so much guys for always making me laugh and smile even when it was chucking it down, the hotel iyself was still beautiful and they work endlessley to maintain the grounds, I agree with others the buffet in the evening is not the best place too eat bit you will always find a good meal at the others, my favourite this trip was the Italian partly down to our waiter OSCAR, the best waiter iv met and he is wasted there should be out front more will def return to ocean maya for a 3rd trip :-)

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Rach8361
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The resort is small and cozy so if you are looking for an intimate resort with just enough around you this should satisfy you.
It was my first time at an adult resort and I was slightly nervous about it. I went with a friend so we were 2 single girls looking for a good place to relax and just enjoy some sun.
Although the resort satisfied that pretty well, it was more of a couples resort than anything else. Sometimes we felt out of place given that most people were celebrating together.
So if you are not bothered by lovey-dovey type pda this should be fine :)
The pools were always clean and at a perfect temperature so it was always pleasant.
The beach was not great the week we were there but one morning in was beautiful so we took advantage and jumped in... it was clear and filled with beautiful fish! No a big beach resort - most of the crowd is around the pool very few were in or around the beach.
The food was ok. The Italian restaurant was my favorite! It had lots of great dishes. The buffet in the evenings is really not recommended. I would suggest going to any of the restaurants unless you are in a rush.
The best part of this resort is def the staff. Yes the resort is not wow - rooms are ok at best - but the people are just adorable. They are welcoming, fun and smily at all times. It really makes you feel happy and puts you in a great mood!
I am not sure I would go back to the resort simply because I like trying out new resorts but if a good deal shows up I would most probably consider it!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ortal R
Shenandoah, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 10, 2013

the Animation Staff was outstanding Anny, Arturo, Tabata,Carmen, Poncho,John, Giovanni and Jess where very professional, friendly and fun. Anny could dance as well as, if not better then the professionals brought in. She has leader qualities and should go far in life. It was a real pleasure having them entertain us during our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ginni M
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family and I went for our first ever all-inclusive Summer vacation in mid August at Ocean Maya Royale. We chose the Maya hotel after a couple of research and saw lots of great reviews from various online postings of this hotel. My husband and I are very pleased with the overall standard this hotel provided. The hotel room was very spacious. It was a two-story villa style room and we stayed at the second level with a garden view. It was away from two beautiful pools and the main lobby area and yet it was within a very short walking distance to both places(the pools and the lobby). So we didn't hear much noise either from the people at the pool or the evening music at the courtyard outside the main lobby. We stayed there for 5 days 4 nights. I'd say most of our nights were good except one night we were annoyed by a couple of rowdy teenager guests chasing around each other in the hallway, slamming the hotel room doors and screaming at each other in the middle of the night(around 1:30 - 2:30 am). We did bring our concerns to the front desk the next morning and it seemed like it didn't happen after that night. I'm not sure if the hotel personnel talked to those guests or they just simply moved out. All I know is I didn't see them ever since. All the hotel staffs were very nice, friendly and polite. They always greeted you with "Hola" and a smile. The hotel had 4 restaurants. We tried them all and they were good. We also frequented at the cafe called "Mike" for an afternoon tea or coffee break. The entertainment staffs worked hard everyday and every night to ensure the guests had a great time there. They were all fabulous and hardworking. The two pools were very clean and in a meticulous shape. The pool staffs worked hard to maintain the water quality in the pools, align all the pool and beach lounges and picked up trashes on the beach in the late evening hours. Kudos to all their hard work. I'll recommend this hotel to anyone I know.

Room Tip: Villas in the "teens" such as #15,16, 17 etc are pretty quiet and not far from the restaur...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Kitty T
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Ocean Maya Royale for 8 lovely nights from 8/30/13 through 9/7/13 for our (7 month belated) honeymoon. I would have loved to give this resort 5 stars, but there was one thing that bumped it from five down to a 3.5 (and not a 3.5 I was ready to give a 4 to). I've ready many, many reviews that talked about how wonderful the food was, so I'll get to that last.

The Good:
Check-in is quick and easy in this resort, about 30-45 minutes from the Cancun airport. The road in is free of potholes (unlike some hotels in the area!!!) and well manicured. The villas are very well maintained, clean, and bright. We were on the second floor, and the balconies were large enough to relax. The minibar was lightly stocked daily with a few beers, bottles of water, and soda. The air conditioning was awesome, but we did have one night of storms where the power went out, apparently for the entire area. That was a warm night... but it was back on by 4 or 5 AM.

The one thing to know is that the bathroom doors are frosted glass and do not have a seal - or even a latching doorknob! If you're skittish about that sort of thing, beware - you may need your roommate to leave to for the balcony for a few minutes. You will also need to heed the signs to throw away and not flush toilet paper.

The beach was well maintained and one of the better ones in the area, judging by our walk about 8 hotels north and about... 20-25 hotels to the south. It is clean, free of rocks, and although there were mangrove bits floating around (to be expected), it didn't smell of sulfur. You can see from the pictures that this isn't Cozumel-blue water, but it's lovely all the same. If you know how to sail, you can take a catamaran out very easily for free, along with kayaks and windsurfers.

The pools were really out of this world! There was a more active and less active one, and they were both extremely clean, refreshing, and large. The pool chairs get snapped up early (before 9 am), but there are plenty of shady areas on the beach that are less than 20 steps away. There are lots of umbrellas, and the towel cart was almost always well stocked.

The staff was always extremely friendly. My husband and I did not participate in a ton of activities other than laying in chairs, but on our washout rainy day, it was great to go to the lobby and have board games and movies ready to play. Everyone from the activities staff to the front desk to the bartenders to the waitstaff was quick to greet with an "hola" and start a conversation, as well as answering any questions we had. The bars were well stocked, and the bartenders had good knowledge of drinks that aren't "typical vacation" drinks. The coffee shop was also very nice and served good drinks.

Finally the grounds. Holy smokes, they were beautiful! There really wasn't a blade of grass out of place, and the paths were free of water as soon as the rain was over due to the dedication of the grounds staff. There was an assortment of wildlife that were curious and very cool to see, and although we saw guests feeding them on several occasions, none of the animals had "Central Park pigeon syndrome" or begged for food.

The bad:

Bring a pillow if you don't like to sleep on lumpy-ness or have neck pain easily. They must wash them between guests, which is good, but they're kind of rocky. Not a make or break for me, but it could be for some.

The bar bath soap gave my husband a bad reaction. If you have sensitive skin, either bring your own or use the gel. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

The food. The food, the food, the food. Let me preface this by saying I don't expect perfection. I would be perfectly happy with Chipolte-style guacamole and fresh corn tortillas. However, I have had significantly better Mexican food in Madison, WI - which is NOT known for its Mexican food. There are three restaurants, and after sampling 2, we decided to go back to the buffet. I know Ocean Maya is trying to be gourmet, but I'd be much happier with one type of food done really well.

The first night, we went to the Asian fusion restaurant. We started off with sushi, where the selections were pretty basic. I ordered sashimi, and received 4 pieces each of tuna and salmon - but the tuna was STILL FROZEN in the middle. We had miso soup next, which was good, and then entrees that can only be described as a step up from mall Chinese food.

The next night, we tried the Mexican restaurant. We ordered guacamole, which was far, far from fresh (it had definitely come out of a bag), and were starting to get really disappointed. Next course was tortilla soup. It had tofu bits in it, so obviously it was from the same mix as the miso soup, and it was NOT good. When we got home, this was actually the first thing I cooked, because I wanted good tortilla soup so bad. I then ordered fajitas, and my husband something listed as a "traditional Mexican dish." The fajitas was a pile of stir fry beef fried with a bit of onion and no spices on thin, stale flour tortillas. My husbands' "traditional" food was grilled meat with salt and pepper.

We decided not to continue on to the Italian restaurant after that. I will say, the buffet, although still disappointing, had a few highlights. Anything grilled fresh, from a slice of a salmon filet to a hamburger, was very good, if a bit oily. The salsa verde was good. The fruit was fresh and excellent. There were still some big misses though.

The best way I can describe the food is this - if it's not important to you, or if you aren't going to Mexico looking for food spiced with lots of jalapenos and cumin, you'll be fine. If you love Mexican food (we used to live in Texas, and miss it dearly), or are a bit of a food snob, you will be very disappointed. It definitely wasn't enough to ruin a vacation, but it brought it way down.

Room Tip: Second floor is definitely the way to go - better view, and no coatis bothering your balcony!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Dawn S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#49 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#43 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#41 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!