“vacation”

Ranked #47 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Colgate, Wisconsin
“vacation”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have to let you know that i have stayed in cancun and dominican republican for vacations, but until i stayed with your hotel for a all inclusive vacation of 6 days, it the best vacation i had, all the staff at the hotel, resturants, all the workers were all pleasant and kind and did their job to its fullest, the place is a beautiful hotel and i will come back and i will recommend it to other people, i just loved it and everyone was so helpful, i also want to let you know that our waiter at the El Charro mexican resturant, Daniel Ara Castro was amazing , he took such good care of us, a excellant waiter and very charming and pleasant. thanks again for the lovely stay.

sandra switalski
amy skaggs

Room Tip: i love the balcony rooms close to the ocean
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sandy s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,578)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just got back from a 4 night vacation and had a great time. This is a smaller resort which we actually liked. No screaming kids which was also a plus.

Food was excellent, great selection. I can not believe some people actually complained about the food here on their reviews. You have to be the pickiest eaters to not find something you like. We ate at the Hibachi place, show table, which was pretty good but keep in mind this is not a restaurant you are paying $50-$60 per person. On the other hand we loved the Italian, it was amazing so went back again. Breakfast buffet was great and we made our mimosa's each morning after breakfast and filled up our big cups for the beach (you might want to bring big cups for drinks to save trips to the bar and keep them cold).

Grounds are very well kept. Beach is small but nice and clean. We didn't upgrade to privilege and never had problem finding available beds or chairs. In terms of drinks just tell them what kind of alcohol you want in them (Bacardi, Smirnoff, Absolut etc.)

Entertainment team worked hard and did a great job for the most part. Only negative I can think of is the theater where they had the shows in was way too hot. Also by 10-11pm there is not much to do other than drink at the lobby bar. Which worked for us because we were exhausted from the days activities.

This was well worth the money and would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at Ocean Maya Royale for a week in early July for our tenth anniversary. I generally do quite a bit of research before traveling and felt that upgrading to privilege services and a junior suite would be worth the cost for this trip. I really want to give details on the privilege vs. standard amenities. I had a difficult time finding information on it prior to our trip and hope my review is helpful to others.
This is a smaller resort, but we never felt crowded. There were times when we were the only ones at breakfast or two of ten at the pool. The space to person ratio is perfect.
The check-in at the privilege desk by Denise was simple and to the point. She was the person I went to throughout the week with any problems or questions and was always very helpful and friendly. We were given cool towels and a drink immediately. We did have a bit of confusion with the room location though. The privilege room is behind the buffet restaurant and the FURTHEST from the beach/pool area. I was under the impression that the upgrade would put us with an ocean view, not a garden view. The resort was booked for ocean views and we stayed in our suite and ended up being very happy with it in the end. We were then transferred to our concierge (Luis) who was very h I emailed the resort about our anniversary before and was greeted with a wonderful fruit plate, card and champagne in our room.Our room was stocked daily with five different liquors, beer, sodas, and four large bottles of water and snacks, the house keeping staff were very friendly and did a wonderful job at keeping our room tidy through the trip.
FOOD:
The food is exactly what you expect from an all inclusive resort. I don't really feel like it was great, but it certainly wasn't bad. The presentation of food was very nice and creative. We especially loved the ala carte breakfast at La Dolce for Privilege guests. The breakfast buffet was okay, but it was very nice to have a different option (and cappuccino) after a few days. The servers we encountered (Alberto and Francisco) were extremely friendly and accommodating. After two days they both knew where we liked to sit and what we wanted to drink. I work in the service industry and find myself particularly picky and feel that they went above and beyond here. The service at dinner was somewhat slow at all of the restaurants, but being on holiday I did not find it an issue and enjoyed each relaxing meal. I was somewhat disappointed that the coffee bar wasn't open until 4 PM daily. I love a good latte in the morning and was surprised that they weren't open for it.
DRINKS:
The privilege "premium" liquor options are not the same as "top shelf" in the U.S., but they were decent. The ONLY beer option for general guests is Corona on tap or the few they stock in your room (modelo), with privilege we got Budweiser and a few modelo options on the beach during the day. I generally drink red wine and was very disappointed in the privilege "house wine" which was a tempranillo. We ordered a few bottles of wine while we were there and I believe they are stored improperly and kept too warm; however, I was very happy to have a nice glass now and then. I think the upgrade to privilege should include a better beer and wine selection. I am pretty sure that some liquor and drink options are watered down. We ordered a pot of hot sake' from the japanese restaurant and it was very diluted and tasted bad. The mojito and caipirinha ended up being my favorites. We really enjoy Jacobo Morales in the lobby bar and Daniel who served drinks pool side during the day and worked at El Charro during the evening. The service staff is very friendly, but we really enjoyed these two.
PRIVILEGE:
The privilege options that are mentioned that I feel were a little muddled or less than accurate follow. We did not receive a welcome gift (unless this is the free breakfast at another H10 resort where they try to sell you a holiday, which we declined, and I suggest to others to decline it as well), we didn't receive or ask about the pillow menu, and we were not invited to the special beach side dinner until the day before we left (it is only on Thursday evenings and we flew out on a Thursday afternoon), I was a little disappointed in the failure to mention this. The only other service mentioned that seemed vague is the private waiter service on the beach, while you do have the private waiter, it is only between the hours of 11-4. The one night we did make reservations, they were mixed and not delivered to the restaurant and we missed out on the teppanyaki grill on our last evening.
The perks of privilege were great. There is a lounge near the hammock area in La Dolce that has afternoon snacks, and a nice selection of liquors where you can make your own drink. We found this a few days in and loved it during the afternoon rainy times. The absolute best part of being Privilege and the resort for that matter comes in the smallest of packages who is called Azucena. She works in the privilege beach area during 11-4 and made our trip. I cannot say enough kind words about her or commend her service enough. I feel like everyone we encountered during our stay went above and beyond to make it memorable, but Azucena is top notch. On day two, I saw the grounds keepers chopping coconuts, and really wanted to try a fresh one and everyday she remembered until she was able to deliver one to me. She made sure we had everything we needed and was so polite. I could go on forever....The privilege beach area also had a large selection of books and magazines in multiple languages, fruit, snacks, the BEST limeade, and sunscreen for us to use.
POOL/BEACH:
The beach was meticulously cleaned each morning and looked wonderful. We walked past other resorts and were very pleased with the work the grounds people went through to make it look so nice. The Balinese sun beds in the privilege area were a slice of heaven. The walls came down to protect from the sun or rain but still allowed enough of a breeze to be cool. Azucena filled an ice bucket with waters daily, and kept us very happy. We were very thankful for the separation of the activity and quiet pool. While we thought we would enjoy the "party" pool (rowdy US residents), we were surprised to prefer the quiet one. It was difficult to get chairs and while it says not to reserve chairs, you have to. We didn't the first two days, but then realized that by 8:30 they were all taken, and gave in to the rule breaking. The pool closes at 8:00 PM, I thought this was silly seeing that the resort is adult only and probably doesn't pose much of a safety risk, but we weren't ever kicked out for staying in a bit longer.

I would recommend this resort to future travelers, but the staff make it what it is. They really made our trip memorable and probably made it worth the cost. Overall, we felt the few issues we had were simply minor and by no way affected the quality of our time away.

Room Tip: Ground floor balconies are open and available to critters. All housing buildings seemed similar and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ashley K
Saint-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Mi wife and I passed our honeymoon at the Ocean Maya Royale, In first we did not have great expectations about that hotel, cause it was small and not expensive. The best impression was the staff, all of them was lovely and always try to make your stay a remember. The a la carte diner are with no limits and no reservation, but there's only three restaurant, and the Mexican is the best of them. My disapointement is at the buffet, the food is good, but there's a lack of variety. The beach is really differant than we saw in another places, but it was ok and really clean, of course the bali beds are sweet. This hotel is an 18+ and make this place a quiet place to relax, and there's always and party after the evening show.
I would return there many time, it's a paradise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just spent 2 weeks at the Ocean Maya in Playa D'el Carmen. This was our 5th time in Mexico and I have to say it was the nicest hotel we stayed in. It is adults only and we took our 18 year old daughter and her 19 year old boyfriend so it needed to cater for both age groups. The hotel was superb, the staff couldn't have been more helpful in any way. I am allergic to mosqutos and we asked reception on a number of occasions to spray our room which was done swiftly without a problem. The food cannot be classed as boring, I am a very fussy eater and managed to put on loads of weight (maybe the only downfall!!) The coconut ice cream was very nice :) The fruit and veg was fresh, no insects on them (as we had in Cuba last year) the pasta was really nice and the breakfast was lovely. The evening shows were probably the only thing I could take issue with but were no worse than anywhere else that we have seen in Mexico.Having said that the entertainment staff worked tirelessly during the day and night. The dj and band after the show was better.We had a ground floor room and we had many visits from coatis and raccoons which was lovely. We did tip but i have to say the service was there even if you didn't which was refreshing also you don't have to book into any of the restaurants and I have to say the Tapanyaki was the best! I would suggest if you want to go to Coco Bongo (worth a trip) don't do the Thomson bar crawl, spend the bit extra and go for the whole performance. If you are into Scuba, visit Mariano (mention Dave and Vanya), he is a great diver and I did my 50th dive with him and it was fantastic! Just to finish, we are thinking/hoping to go back in December and maybe dive with bull sharks. A hotel to remember!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Vanya J
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Not usually one to write a review but just back from a 14night stay at omr and was ao blown away that i felt i needed to. Where to start except saying that I had the best holiday iv ever had. Was a bit dubious as to what to expect after reading some of the negative posts on here, but upon arriving at the hotel all doubts were washed away with an arrival cocktail and a friendly face waiting to check us in. Check in itself was a breeze and our luggage was whisked away and waiting for us in our room when we got there. The room was huge with 2 double beds and more than enough space for just 2 of us! Our room was cleaned immaculately everyday. The hotel grounds are incredible! So pretty and so well kept with staff working around the clock gardening and cleaning etc to make sure that everything is just perfect. Enough praise can't be given to the staff who go the extra mile to make sure your holiday is a good one. Everyone from cleaners and handymen to management say hello as you pass and we found that they really couldn't do enough for us during our stay. So many names to mention everyone but a few that made our stay extra special we're giovanni, david and karmin from the entertainment staff and Jose from the buffet restaurant. The food was lovely, lots of choice in the buffet restaurant always something for everyone and the 3 a la carte restaurants are great too. For anyone who grumbles about the food here there is obviously just no pleasing some people! Excursions - we done xel-ha, chichen-itza, dolphin swim and the fat cat catamaran cruise, and all were fantastic! Coco bongo nightclub is a must too - we had a great night there and is something different from the usual nightclub! Was a little worried about the beach here again down to a few negative comments, but yet again once we were there the beach is definitely the best along the strip, water is clean and warm and sand soft and white, with plenty water sports available - we done kayaking and jet skiing.
Overall our holiday and indeed the hotel was bang on and a huge thanks to everyone at omr for helping us have an amazing time!!

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank Vickymarie89
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nice, dont have a beach per se, but the food is TERRIBLE, all the drinks tasted like toliet water with pharmaceutical alcohol!!!!
I've being in cheaper hotels and the food and drinks are not this bad!!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank jelpspeed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#53 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#44 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!