“The Must Knows”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #49 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Just got back last night from Ocean Maya Royale. Being a top contributor who is very objective I will give you the good and the bad. We were there from June 4th - 9th, 2013. Traveling to Mexico felt safe and easy. We were nervous about the customs process because we had never done that before mainly worrying about the unknown. There was nothing to worry about. Easy Peasy. Pesos were exchanging at 11 Pesos to every US dollar at the time we were there.

Pay attention now. When you get off the plane and come out of the jet way. Everyone looks official. And everyone is offering to help you. They are ALL in uniforms of some sort that look like they are official aiport staff. All they all want to do is take your luggage so they may receive some sort of a tip or sell you a time share. They only real advice here... Research, research research. Know who is picking you up. Get detailed directions from them of where to go, what they will be dressed like, and the best way to get to them. All the people in uniforms will "help" you find the person you're supposed to find, but remember... They want money. Actual airport staff will not be easy to spot if you really need help, but if you need help they have an that is like Alave or something like that. Know your transport and how to find them. We used Funjet. They did their job and got us back and forth, but overall totally worthless and... THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING! They try to act like they are giving you tips, but they are just pushing you into buying something.

The resort was ok. It's all inclusive, but is geared for the over 50 crowd. I'm good with that, but they should advertise that. I'm 41. As you get to the resort the van driver will want a tip, the guy who moves your bags will want a tip.... Oh pretty much everyone wants a tip. Bathroom doors in your room are like stalls. The doors do not go floor to ceiling on EVERY room, so no privacy.

Check-in was easy. The front desk staff was nice. They speak English. You cannot go to your room until after 3:00 p.m. So, if you arrive earlier you will have to wait. They will "secure" your bags for you while you're there at the resort. They put them in an empty ballroom that has a shut door that the staff takes lunch in. You can change into your swimsuit and head to the pool if you arrive early and are looking to waste time until your room is ready.

I did not post any pictures this trip because there are already sooo many pictures. I completely disagree with any reviewer who said the food was good. The food was okay at best. It was fine the first couple of days, but there variety is not there...same food... Over and over and over and over. Japanese place was decent, the Italian place's portions are extremely small and are not good, El Charro is probably the best. There is no chips and salsa states people. Our "salsa" is pick de gayo to them. Salsa means ketchup in Mexico. You will only find our kind of salsa at El Charro in the evenings... Also the ONLY place to get "Mexican" food.

The pools. There are two. Upper large pool where much older people hang out and lower pool where you'll find it much busier, music, volleyball, swim up bar, and party people. Take your pick. We chose the lower. Getting a drink was tough, but not impossible. No waitresses. All drinks served in plastic cups, cheap liquor unless you go "Priveledge" Natty light style Mexico beer, but you can lime it and it's ok. The staff was fine. Pay attention: the pool bar closes at 6:30 p.m. The pool closes at 8:00 p.m. If you're looking to party and think it's going to be a big party atmosphere.... Wrong resort. Look for a different one. If you're looking for something a little quiet this is the style.

The beach was nice. Not really any rocks in the sand or ocean like a lot of the other resorts. The staff works VERY hard on keeping this resort up and keeping the beach clean. The beach front is short, but probably normal for Mexican resort. The beaches are open so, you can walk down the beach front in front of every resort. We swam often in the ocean. No snorkeling off the beach really, but you can book an hour and a half trip for $30 USD per person and it's worth it. They take you out on a boat and you can dive on a reef. They do not teach you how to do it, so if you don't know how to snorkel.... Learn before you go.

"Free" water sports. $30 to learn how to sail Katamaran. Worth every penny. So much fun, you can sail out on the open ocean anytime for no more charge after that. Pay attention: all activities on this beach close at 3:30 p.m. The employees have some bus they have to catch so no more water sports. You can leave your stuff on chairs and such while you do it and no one really had an issue, but my iPhone was stolen and it was covered up, so someone went through our stuff.

Let me sum this up... If you're over 50, are not looking for amazing, don't mind same food, private bathrooms are not a big deal to you, are not into a party atmosphere or a night life... Or anything after 3:30 p.m. This might be the place for you. I would NEVER pick this resort. Pretty and fine, but not worth thousands.

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Bealll95
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you posting a review on Tripadvisor. We do apreciate you taking the time to write such a complete review in order to give a personal vision of your stay at the Hotel; we do also apreciate the points that you have mention that need improving. like the variety of the food and the a la carte restaurants (Italian and Japanese). We are sorry if you did not agree on some of the closing times of some services like the pool bar, but after the pool bar closes you can still enjoy a lovely evening siting by our 24 hours service lobby Bar. We are happy to read that despite desagreement with the closing time at the diving center, you still got to enjoy their services like snorkling and katamaran.
We are realy sorry also to read about the stolen celular, but the beach area is a public area, and even though we do have security staff to avoid people accesing the Hotel, we can not stop external people passing by.

We hope you keep choosing the Riviera Maya as your holiday destination.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our vacation was good. My sister, best friend and I decided to travel to a warm, sunny, relaxing beach resort and unfortunately we were only able to go at the end of May 2013. I was worried about the weather as my understanding was that this time of year is unpredictable as it is entering the hurricane season. My worry was confirmed as we had a LOT of rain. 4-5/7 of the days we experienced complete down pour for hours and hours!!! We had 2 good days of sunshine. Fortunately it was warm.

The spa staff pushed spa services and have a very good looking fella hired to encourage and sell spa packages. He roamed the resort all day. Eduardo is his name and he does a good job selling these services. I booked 5 services over the 7 days and so the cost goes down each service. I would recommend Orlando for any massage treatments. He is a 10/10 for offering a relaxing massage. Hector was also very good.

The drinks/bars were good as well. My favourite 2 bar tenders were Jacobo and David. Both very friendly and can communicate effectively in English.

Buffet food was excellent. We really enjoyed all the food there. Waiters were very friendly; waitresses not so much! Most staff in buffet are difficult to understand and do not speak/understand English.

We went to the Japanese restaurant 3 times. Food excellent!!!!!! Staff try to be helpful however communicating in English was a problem.

West jet reps very good. Nice and helpful! We had asked for more bottled water for teeth brushing and One rep told us we could brush our teeth with the tap water...... I knew better but did use the tap water for the next 2 days and all three of us got some unappreciated side effects. Back to bottled water and problem solved!

Room was very nice. I only booked one room for the 3 of us ladies as per westjet phone rep. The pull out couch was ridiculous! I had a terrible sleep the first night. After going back to our room at 11 pm the first night and opening pull out we realized there was no bedding prepared or in room for the pull out. We call front desk and maids came 20-30 mins later. They spoke ZERO English. They just giggled..... 2nd morning we requested another room, or different mattress on the pull out. They did there best but the rest of the stay in this bed was not restful or comfy.
We were always short towels and hand towels/face cloths.

One evening in the middle of our stay we walked to our room after a good day. It was sprinkling this evening. The walk ways are not covered so bring poncho and umbrellas during this time of travel. We inserted our card to get into the room and the first card did not work. No lights or indication the door lock was powered up. No lights to indicate it was a card problem. We tried card #2 which was being carried by another person in our party; same thing happened. It was clear the lock had batteries that expired. I went to the Mexican restaurant which was a 3-5 min walk. The worker said there was no phones..... I had to run up to lobby which was a 10 min fast walk. Other 2 people in my party waited at room. Went to the lobby and spoke to Oscar. He didn't believe me regarding the batteries. He sent me back with another card. After walking 10 min back to room, the card did not work. Due to no phones I had to run back up to the lobby for a 2nd time. This time I was fuming!!!!!!! Very angrily I explained the problem. Finally Oscar sent security and offered me a ride in the golf cart. When the security and maintenance got there it was exactly as I reported. A battery problem.

Morning we leave it is absolute down pouring!!!!!!! We call front desk for a golf cart to come get us. We call at 8:15 for a immediate ride. We were leaving at 9:20. By 9:00 am and 3 calls to the front 2 of us ran in the poring rain to the lobby. My hair, clothing and luggage was soaked! We complained to the front desk. Oscar finally sent the golf cart for our third friend!

Our last interaction with this hotel was negative unfortunately.
This was my 5/6 trip to the mayan and have seen a decrease in the usual customer service. Most staff at this resort did not speak English which was unusual as my past experiences have seen most staff communicating in English well.

Going in sunny season would be recommended. I would recommend this hotel for the food, drinks and beach.

Room Tip: Have no expectations. That way this lovely adult resort will blow your mind. 7/10 on my list.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank EMTMITCH1974

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. first of all I would like to apologise for all the inconvenieces that you had during your stay, starting from the uncorfotable bed and finishing with your last day. I am really sorry to read that they send you back to the Lobby under the rain to get a new key that did not work, I will make sure that we will take the necesary measurements to avoid this type of issue. I reall y hope that despite this experiences you manage to have a great time with your friends.

I hope you keep choosing the Riviera Maya as your holiday destination.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have just got back from an eleven night stay at the Ocean Mayo Royale and I can say that I had an amazing time there.

I got there the first week of their rainy season which I was disappointed not to be told about (thank you Thomson) but that aside the hotel was perfect and the food was great with some fantastic staff there to assist you at every moment.

I would like to personally thank Paul Perz the Life Guard/Security who was excellent around the pool and Beach area.

Room Tip: We noted that it was our Anniversary and we were upgraded to a deluxe Suite with Wine and chocolates...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Wayne D

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor. We would also like to thank you for all the great comments you have made about the Hotel and in special about our lifeguard, I will make sure he knows you mention him. i am glad to read that despite a first rainy week of holiday you did enjoy your time with us.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Spent 11 nights here with my girlfriend and we had a brilliant time.

Staff were fantastic, always very cheerful and helpful. Lots of activities going on, which you can do as much of or as little of as you want.

The food was excellent, there was so much choice at the buffet and the quality was always very good (the food was always freshly cooked). In fact, the we found the buffet restaurant so good that we only ate at the a la carte restaurants twice (the Mexican and Italian- we didn't even make it to the Oriental restaurant).

The room was very good- we had one huge bed (queen size), a little sofa and an armchair too. Wardrobe space and hangers was limited, but not really an issue. Bathroom was fine.

We couldn't really see the benefit in upgrading to Privilege- the room was more than fine (and how much time are you going to spend in your room on holiday?) and you ate the same food at the same restaurants. The only benefit we could see where the better sunbeds on the beach, but that was it.

The weather was pretty bad for the last few days of our stay, but the staff did everything they could to minimise the impact of this- board games were provided, films shown in the theatre, room service delivered to the rooms and so on.

Some reviewers have complained about the beach- whilst it isn't the prettiest stretch along the Riviera Maya (Playa del Carmen and Tulum are better) we thought it was fine (and certainly the best bit of beach in the immediate area because we walked about 15 minutes in both directions along the beach). There were plenty of sunbeds available, although not all had shades- we never had a problem finding one with a shade but we were on the beach by 9am most mornings.

We thought there were a few minor things that would make the resort even better, such as

1. Complimentary shuttle bus into Playa del Carmen and back several times a day (we caught the local minibuses into Playa del Carmen (and Tulum), but this involves walking up to the main road and crossing the busy two lane carriageway which wouldn't be suitable for everyone). This would easily pay for itself because all the time guests are not at the hotel they aren't eating or drinking!
2. Self service drinks in the buffet restaurant (beers, waters, soft drinks). The waiters were rushed off their feet at times and it could take a while for drinks orders to be taken and received- if guests could help themselves to drinks it would be beneficial.
3. More comfortable pillows and terrace/ balcony furniture. The pillows on the bed were a little hard and too big (although the bed itself was very comfortable).
4. Open Mike's Bar (coffee/ tea) earlier in the day. We loved Mike's Bar, but it only opened from 4pm.

All in all, a fantastic hotel with great staff and great food- what more could you want?

Room Tip: Ground floor have the noise of upstairs to deal with (someone dropped some money in the room above a...
5  Thank P396
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort on our Honeymoon from 22nd May – 5th of June. We had the holiday of a lifetime and are already planning our return trip for next year! This was our first trip to Mexico and we weren’t disappointed at all.

Our transfer with Thomson was quick and the guide (Luis) was friendly and entertaining giving us little hints and tips on getting the most from our Holiday. Be aware of the “helpful bell boys” at the airport, they will offer to carry your bags to your coach for you but will expect a tip for their trouble. This is fine, but a lot of people got stung as they weren’t aware of tipping levels and were massively over tipping them.
*A general rule of tipping we found was $20MX (about £1) or $50MX (About £2.50) if you received exceptional service.

Check in at the hotel was quick and simple; we were greeted with refreshing drinks and given a small welcome pack to take away with details of all the restaurants and facilities on site. We were in block 10 which was the opposite end of the resort to the reception, but only took us about 4 minutes to walk there. The grounds were beautiful and we enjoyed strolling to our room as our bags were being transported by the staff.

Our room was lovely, we were very happy with it, the bed was HUGE and comfortable but we like firm beds so this was perfect for us. We were greeted with a bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate dipped strawberries which were lovely.

The two pools on site were fab, the activity pool was always busy and we enjoyed watching the games and entertainment put on by the staff. The larger, quieter pool was perfect for relaxing in when the noise got a bit too much for us. They were both very clean and extremely well maintained and were almost always lovely and warm! There weren’t hundreds of beds next to the pools (It’s a small resort so it would be impossible to have more without spoiling the atmosphere) if you are desperate for one, you will have to be up early, but there were always plenty on the beach.

The food was wonderful, the buffet at breakfast had a wide range of foods to choose from including cooked breakfast, pancakes, fresh fruit, jellies, omelettes, cold meats and cereal. Our breakfast waiter Alfredo always greeted us with an infectious smile and helped get every day off to a wonderful start. The man was so incredibly helpful, to the point he seemed to be genuinely distraught when one couple complained that they couldn’t get a Latte or cup of English tea at Breakfast. (Incidentally, we don’t stock Mexican fizzy drinks in England, so why would you expect them to stock English tea in Mexico?) If you are desperate for a cup of tea, bring your own tea bags and they are happy to provide the hot water!
Our preference for lunch times was “El Charro” but that was mostly because it was next to the pool, the choice of foods never disappointed us, there was something different every day but also had some things the same. The burgers were wonderful on cooler days and were cooked to order while you waited.

The 3 A La Carte restaurants were all lovely, our favourite was either the Italian (for its atmosphere and sea side location) or the Japanese (for the Sushi and Chef show) but the Mexican was enjoyable too.
The buffet offered a good range of foods and I am quite concerned that some people thought it was a bit repetitive; my only guess is that they didn’t try the A La Carte options and stayed in the buffet their entire trip or they chose the same food every day….. We stayed at the resort for 14 nights and were never disappointed with the choice and quality of the food.

The bar service was always great, at busier times there were queues but hey… you’re on holiday… why would you be in a hurry? There were a few occasions where highly rude and impatient people tried to push in ahead of others, we didn’t let them skip ahead of us but this wouldn’t have helped reduce the waiting time of people if this rude behaviour was persistent. At the lobby bar Yovanetti worked tirelessly keeping guests smiling, brining drinks and clearing tables. At the pool bar, all of the staff worked constantly to keep everyone topped up, the service didn’t depend on how well you tipped but it did depend on how polite you were…. If you had bad service I can only assume you weren’t very polite to the staff.

The entertainment staff were incredible too, they work constantly to keep the guests happy and tried their best to get everyone involved. Special mentions go to Anny, Amy Jean and David who were so friendly and chatty, don’t get me wrong, the whole team were brilliant but these three stood out for us.

We did get hit by the horrendous rain storms but this resort seemed to cope with it better than others, we had a minor flood, but we were given extra towels to help barricade the doors and windows. The staff were constantly wiping water off the marble walk ways and they still operated room service for those who weren’t brave enough to venture out in the storms. We overheard other people saying that their hotels were totally unprepared and their swimming pools turned brown because of the rain water wash off. We had no such problems! We even had a game in the pool during one of the storms; we were determined not to let the weather affect us!

On the whole, this resort was incredible; we enjoyed it so much that we are hoping to return next year. I cannot thank them enough for giving us the best honeymoon I could have wished for! Thanks OMR and all of your incredible staff!

1  Thank StephStronnar
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this wonderful resort at the end of May for our honey moon; from start to finish we experienced the highest standards of service. The smoothest transfer I have known and the travel time (45 min’s ish) seemed to fly by from the airport thanks to LUIS and his friendly manner. Check in was a breeze and it was a nice surprise to be given a lovely pomegranate cooler upon arrival, they talked us through everything and provided us with all the information we could need.

OUR ROOM was only a short walk from reception (4-5 min’s) which gave us time to enjoy the perfectly groomed grounds, the staff work so hard to keep them in this condition and they are a real credit to the resort. The room itself was perfectly clean and I can’t understand any criticisms in this regard, but we didn’t spend a lot of time in the room as it was a holiday and let’s face it, your room is where your stuff is kept not where you stay.

THE POOLS are once again impeccably clean, and they clean them throughout the day, having a choice of pool was great if you are a little worse for wear in the morning from the wonderful cocktails the night before, as the “noisy pool” can get a bit boisterous. I pretty much took a swim every morning before the rest of the resort woke up and the water was still warm enough to just lie back and relax. Poolside chairs are at a minimum so be up early to reserve your bed if you want one.

TIPPING the staff is something I would encourage, not to get better service, more over to reward the service that is already there, 20 pessos every other day for your maid is fine and 20 Pessos every other or third drink for the bar staff / waitresses. I'm only mentioning this as some people we know were over tipping massively without knowing it. For example we gave the bell boy 100 Pessos as we ourselves didn't know. I recommend changing your money in the UK as the rate in Mexico isn't great. Things are cheaper in Pessos rather then Dollars US or Pounds Sterling and they prefer that you use they're currency anyway.

THE FOOD and restaurants are amazing and my first special mention goes to ALFREDO, he has the most infectious smile and made every breakfast a delight, even when I was hung over he managed to make me smile and always remembered how my wife and I took our coffee. The a la carte` restaurants are incredible and the only wait we had was for the “show” table in the Japanese which to be fair run two tables an hour and sit eight people each table so sixteen people an hour will create a bottle neck which was more than worth the wait. The Italian was our favourite, as the view of the sea and the noise of the waves against the shore compliment the food (try the veal). Anyone that says the buffet food was a bit samey obviously didn’t want to try anything new as we were there for fourteen days and didn’t have the same meal twice.

THE BAR STAFF and the waitresses work tirelessly and I’m still amazed how they remember everyone’s favourite drink, weather at the pool bar or at the lobby bar the service was fantastic. Service does not depend upon tipping but on manners, so if you had/have bad service I can only conclude you need to work on your behaviour. My next special mention goes to YOVANETTI; she is a very special lady and is also cute as a button. She always has a smile on her face and nothing is too much trouble for her. Oh she also loves to have her picture taken you only have to ask, that goes for ALFREDO too.

THE ENTERTAINMENT STAFF turned a great stay into a holiday of a life time; they have such a long day and still manage to stay up tempo. I wish I could name them all but a huge thank you goes to ANNY MARTELL, AMY JEAN and DAVID GARCIA. Anny is a real card shark she looks all sweetness and light but on the poker table she’ll take everything you have and do it with the cutest of smiles. Amy is incredible; she is funny, sweet and one hell of a dancer. The box splits during the Hollywood show was breath taking. David is a total star and despite my best efforts, helped us win the water polo game. The shows they put on each evening are a “must see” and their energy alone will amaze you even with the heat and humidity of the theatre.

I cannot recommend this resort enough and we hope to return again next year to stay with what we consider new friends.

1  Thank ChrisStronnar
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Loved Ocean Maya Royale. We stayed may 24-31. The drive from Cancun to the resort did not take long at all. We went with best day shuttle and they did a great job and were well organized. The hotel is a small resort but we loved it.

Check in went great. They found our reservation fast and we got our room right away. We were given a map and a little tour by the front desk. The grounds are so beautiful. They have a sign as you walk to the beach of all the wild life you can see around the resort and we saw all those animals! The modern designs of the rooms were nice and we loved the shower. There is a privilege club section at this hotel. We did not do this upgrade. I am sure it was very nice but we did not go for it. We didn't feel like we missed out on anything or were treated second class with out it.

The food was really good! We loved the italian and the Japanese restaurant. It was so nice not to have to make reservations for ala carts! You just walk right up and if they would not seat you right away they would give you a time to come back which was never more then 30 minutes which was no time at all by the time you went and had a pre dinner drink.

The beach was small but nice. We felt very lucky because we walked on the beach to the left of the hotel and walked past other resorts and their beaches were not nice at all so we were happy for the little beach we had at ocean maya royal. There is a lovely lagoon to to the left of the hotel via the beach its about a 15 minute walk. There are also great sun beds you can use on the beach which we tool full advantage of and loved. You do have to get up early and put a towel on one if you want to have one in the early afternoon but it that's not your thing there is usually a few avaiable later in the day. I would just get up around 7 go put a book and towel on one come back to the room sleep for another hour then go have breakfast and then go back to the sun bed that i had saved and my stuff was always there untouched.

This is our first time at an adult only resort. We don't have kids and we are in our late 20's but i have to admit i didn't miss kids running around us screaming and i could tell there were lots of couples there on a get away with out there children and they enjoyed the kid free atmosphere as well.

The entertainment staff is incredible! We finally had to ask if they ever went home because we would see them from 7am to midnight. The answer is they don't go home they live at the resort! WOW that's dedication. They have lots of fun activities to do around the pool and they put on great shows at night. If you don't want to be bothered by music and games there is another pool which is quiet and you can do your own boring thing there. Amy and Giovanni made us feel espeically welcome, they would often come and join us at the buffet when they were having lunch it was great to get to know then on personal level and you really didn't feel like they were faking anything. It felt like they were there because they wanted to be not because they had to be. We had one really rainy day where no one was at the pool and the entertainment staff moved all the activities up to the lobby. They brought out games and did a good job getting guests involved. We didn't even care it was raining they made us forget.

There are so many tours to do in Playa Del Carmen. Our best day vacations/ Westjet Vacations rep Pedro had some great tours available. We did the Xel-Ha Tulum tour it was amazing! We wish we had more time at Xel-Ha. At the hotel there is also a hut in-between the pools that had some tours packages to do the prices were great and we would have done one with them as well but we just ran out of time. We also booked a coco bongos tour on our own through grey line tours while we were back home. I would not recommend this, it was a disaster, we booked and paid for gold member service and then got a call that it was not available for the day i had already booked and paid for because coco bongos' only allows 100 gold member seats. My beef was if i paid for it i should get it don't let me book this service if it may not be available. We did end up going but not on the night we wanted which was very disappointing. If i had to do it over again i would have waited until we got to the hotel then booked with the the coco bongo people who are at the hotel and gone with one of the entertainment staff at ocean maya royale who take a big group from the hotel a few time a week.

All and all it was a great resort and awesome trip. We would 100% come back to this hotel. We are recommending it to all our friends and we are already trying to plan when we are going to come back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends