We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, beautiful gardens good facilities and very friendly happy helpful staff. The weather was gorgeous too! Now, what you would like to know.
Rooms. Ours was 3306 upstairs with a sea view. Spacious, modern,huge comfy bed, pillows a bit hard, could be improved on. Lovely walk in shower, plenty of hot water. Good wardrobe ,safe and coffee machine. Plenty of linen and towel changes. Minibar basic, beer water and soft drinks. Limited to two a day so a bit mean. Cleaning excellent. Air con first class. Restaurants. Buffet was great you would be very hard to please if you couldn't find something you liked. I counted 12 different fresh fruits for breakfast, delicious, plus cooked food to order at all timed. Steak, chicken, pork, burgers and fish. the Al a Carte were good, we liked the Oriental best then the Italian. the Mexican had a good atmosphere but Mexican food is not for us.Food hygiene was very good. Drinks. These we found very disappointing. We really enjoy wine with our meals and the house wine was the worst we have ever had. Horrible. We did complain about it so perhaps Management will try to improve it. We actually bought bottles to have with our meal ( and this on an AI Holiday!) The beer was great, the cocktails again disappointing against other AI hotels in the Caribbean we have stayed at. Pools. Two huge warm pools really lovely, one busy one quiet. Lots of sunbeds but not all of them had shades so consequently the towel rush to bag a bed started at 6.00 am! The hotel have tried various schemes to deter this but its always a problem. Beware the sun here, it really is very fierce so pack extra suncream and find a palm tree if you can't find a shade. The beach.We found this disappointing It is being eroded and the hotel have tried to stem this with limited success. The whole area was a mangrove forest so although the trees have been cleared for many years the roots still appear and can be quite sharp and just under the water. There was always a fresh to strong breeze so the sea was quite choppy and not at all clear or turquoise. Plus lots of sea weed drifting into the two small bays the hotel fronts. The staff worked non stop clearing weed, cleaning the sand, chopping out roots but you can't tame nature .Lots of activites for those who are energetic. Entertainment. There was a show every night, started at 9.00 , mostly the hotel dancers but very well done in a purpose built theatre. Live sax music early on in the evening in the Plaza .Bars, pool bar could do with a staff of two and not just one . All the bar staff were attentive & friendly also the waitresses in the restaurants and the staff on reception. The hotel and grounds were beautifully kept and extremely clean .Lots of wild animals roaming, deer, iguanas, coatis and racoons. We loved watching them. Lots of pelicans flying over each day plus frigate birds and vultures. Interesting walk through the jungle that the hotel has created. Money. Everything is priced in Dollars first then Pesos. Be prepared to tip staff (they have a very low wage) if you can take one dollar bills . If there was anything we wanted the staff tried hard to accommodate us so don't be afraid to say if you have a problem they really want you to have a fantastic holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico