“Wonderful, Wonderful Vacation”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #44 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This place was amazing, I cannot believe the staff here. I have been traveling AI for 15 year's and can honestly say, the employees here made our vacation. From check-in to check out, you will be happy.

We arrived around 3:30 were greated by smiles, a cold drink and a helpful happy reception. 1 of our room's was not completed (no worries) we ventured to the lobby bar, ordered a drink and sat out in the warm sun. Within 5 minutes we were told it was ready no need to hurry, just call when we wanted our bag's brought up.

We ate at the buffet restaurant our first night, the choices were plentiful, some a bit on the cool side, but nothing that would cause us to be disappointed. Lot's of fresh fruit's and vegetable's, my favorites.

Restaurants: Buffet: Lot's to chose from, we had great wait staff as well, would like to thank Imelda and Ivonne for their smiles every morning and willing to please. Cannot say enough about them...just wonderful. They also worked the pool area throughout the day...run, run, run and alway's with a smile. Never forgot a drink that our large group had ordered.
Mexican: Our least favorite...we were expecting something great and got mediocre, the athmosphere was also not as good as the other's. Daniel was our favorite employee here.
Itailian: Was very good, our wait staff were super friendly, efficient and the food delicious.
Japanese: Delicious and very filling, no chance you will go hungry here. Nick was our hibatchi host and did a spectacular job. Involving the guest's and making a nice show of it, bravo Nick. This was our favorite.
Lunch: They do have a building next to the pool, burgers, fries etc...we enjoyed the LaCienda buffet more, plus it was a nice walk.

Pools: Quiet pool, we did play water polo here, for a short time it was the activity pool. Didn't seem to bother the guest's that were watching the game. Had some compliments and applause when we finished. Activity Pool: Lot's of fun, the staff again were terrific...thank you Amy Jean, Carmen, Javier, Denise, David, Giovanni and all the others. Involving everyone that wished to join the games. Pool Bar: Bartendar's Rafeal and Daniel were great, running the blenders constantly...Daniel was a good waiter around the pool, he had the late shift after the others left.

Beach: This is not a resort known for a great beach, I got plenty of exercise walking on it. I saw lots of people enjoying the sunbed's...didn't hear allot of complaints. Did have some wash up sea weed, no big deal...it's the ocean!!!

Our room was very nice, large with sofa bed, arm chair, small table, desk and chair. Furnished with a iron and board, safe, shelves and some drawers. We had an ocean view and close to the pools. Bathroom had a large shower and toilet in one room and the sink in the outside area. We spent allot of time sitting on the balcony, enjoying the beautiful scenery and warm ocean breeze.

Grounds: They were amazing, perfectly groomed alway's being worked on. Worker's seem to take pride the beauty of this or I do not think it would be so amazing. Pressure washing the sidewalks everyday. Cannot say enough on the beauty of it.

There is a lagoon to the left of the resort, I took a couple of trips there...the water was quite refreshing after the 15 minute walk in the sun.

If I could return tomorrow I would, go have a good time, don't sweat the small stuff and you will have an amazing trip. Everyone works so hard to give us a fabulous vacation....wish that some of the guests I came across realized that, 99.99% were great, wish the other .1% would stay home.

Room Tip: We had an upper room, building's 10/11/12 are by the activity pool and have a nice ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
21  Thank All_about_tropical
Write a ReviewReviews (6,912)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

First, I would like to say that this resort was absolutely amazing. Everyone and everything was exactly as I wanted it. The most amazing part of my trip was meeting the staff. Everyone on staff was so nice, kind and respectful. The entertainment staff was outstanding!! I would like to mention the people on the entertainment staff that helped make my vacation so full of energy and fun: Amy, Giovanni, David, Carmen, Denise and Jes (pronounced YES). All of these people were so wonderful about remembering names and getting you to do crazy games! So much fun. I was very happy with my housekeeping as well. I believe my housekeeper was Flavia or something similar. My room was always so organized and clean and the housekeeping staff was so nice, always saying hello and smiling. The resort is smaller, which was nice because I didn't have to walk to far to the beach or to eat. The grounds on the resort were beautiful and always in constant upkeep. I would say the least impressive was the food. The staff helping was great, but the flavors of the food could have been stepped up a bit. Needless to say, I never felt a hunger pang the entire week. :) Overall, it was an amazing vacation and I would recommend the Ocean Maya Royale to anyone and will definitely look into coming back a second time. Enjoy!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank KTVP
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I would like to say staff was great. Very attentive and always willing to help! The entertainment staff was excellent. Amy Jean and Giovanni were truly wonderful and really made you feel welcome. It was all about you and your vacation as they worked with you and did entertainment!They were Wonderful! Thanks Again!

Room Tip: We did privilege. Great Rooms clean and a lot of room. Very Nice! We were right off the buffet area...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Michelle D
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Well Im not going to lie when I first got there I was like umm this is a couples thing. Me being single and 22 I was kinda uhg what did I get my self into. But the first day we went and had bfast and there was alot to pick from and it was actually really good. The servers we had most of the time were Imelda and ivonne and they always knew us when we came in and were very attentive to all of our needs. We made our way to the pool most of the time cause the beach isnt the best, but I didnt even need it. The entertainers ARE AMAZING! They were all so nice and Im not going to lie putting up with all of us isnt easy. They always were so happy and made my vacation that much more enjoyable. They entertainment staff are always walking around with so many things to do from yoga in the morning to Beach/ Pool volleyball. Giovanni, Amy Jean, Carmen, David, Denise, Jess, and Javier, they were all amazing. The three that really stuck out were Amy Jean, Giovanni, and David. They all really went over and beyond. Sat and had lunch with me and my sister when we were alone. They bar tenders were so awesome.. All of them were supper friendly especially Rafael and he so makes the best drinks.. There are just so many ppl Carlos one of the photographers is so nice and very professional.. Thank you so much for making this one of the best vacations iv ever had. I cant wait to plan my next one..
Siraya

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Siraya L
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Upon our arrival we were taken to a private room to check in our group of ten. This is part of the Privilege Package. We were given drinks and special wrist bands, and they took us to a restaurant for our lunch which seemed very nice, and before long we were being taken around the resort to our rooms. Our bags were there waiting for us.
Once we got to our rooms this was where the disappointment started. The rooms were clean but relatively small. After we all checked in and unpacked we all came to the conclusion that none of us had a privilege room. We also did not have the WIFI in our rooms like we were supposed to.
Later after dinner that first day, I went up to the front desk with another woman in our group and I told the front desk clerk I didn’t think that I had a “privilege room”. The attendant asked what my room number was -1904, and then told me that all the rooms were the same, the difference was the service. So then I popped open my ipad and said “well my room does not look like this!” The attendant’s jaw dropped. He said that he was going to go into the back and see what he could do. My friend and I waited for about twenty minutes and he did not return. I asked the other attendant where he had gone and he told me to come back later. No one ever, during the week approached me about a different room. The attendants at the front desk were quite rude with several of the members in our group. Considering there was ten of us and together we had spent over $15,000 I was quite appalled!
Turn down service only actually happened 2 nights out of the entire week.
There were three a-la carte restaurants and a couple of the nights they actually closed down one of them. While they tried to be accommodating and friendly, not all of them could speak English very well.
Later in the week my husband and I bought a couple massage and we were also supposed to get a free facial, manicure or pedicure. The massage was great but they never even offered us the additional services we were promised. At that point, we just didn’t care any longer so we let it go.
If you’re looking for a beach, you will be disappointed. There is a lot of beach but access to the ocean is minimal. It is not accessible from the privilege section as it has a boardwalk instead, due to erosion. I only went into the ocean once and it was very rocky on the bottom.
The ONLY saving grace was the waitress at the privilege beach! “Suzy” (Azusena Santiago Cohuo) she, worked her butt off! She was amazing. We had bottled water and beer on ice at our beach bed all day! She was always taking orders and even brought us back some popcorn without being asked. She was very friendly and helpful. The people at the front desk could learn a lot from her.
Later in the week I went into the Privilege lounge to complain yet again. I filled out a survey and no one contacted me during our stay and they have not as of yet contacted me since I’ve been home.
Leaving the lounge I noticed some people on their terrace of an ocean front room they actually had a regular wrist band on. Why, when the privilege rooms were over booked were we not offered these rooms??? – I would have been happy had this occurred.

Bottom line, had they been honest about being over booked and not lied and not been rude to us continuously throughout the week I probably wouldn’t have been so upset. The rudeness of the front staff telling us that we needed to take this up with our travel agent when we got home was ridiculous.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Islandgirl F
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are really sorry about all the situation and the lack of following up with your group. We do apologize because this is not the quality service that the staff is trained to give, so thank you for sharing your experience with us, because this will give us the oportunity to work with the staff at the front desk. I invite you to contact us throught your travel agent and we will find the best way to make up your disapointment. I really hope that not having the room you expected did not ruin your entire holiday, considering that you all had the full benefits of being Privilege.

Kind regards,

Maria Lopez
Subdirectora
Ocean Maya Royale
subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just returned from 2 wonderful weeks at this hotel, excellent hotel, do not worry about the bad reviews. As my title states this is a 4/5 star hotel with lovely rooms, great food and drink and the most wonderful staff in the world, they look after your every need all day long.The 2 star guests comment is aimed at a percentage of American guests that treat the place as an 18-30s resort, being loud,brash and sometimes using bad language in public areas but don't let this put you off going to this hotel you just get used to it and blank it out after a few days.The beach area is nice although small but if you walk just 5 minutes to either side of the hotel there are bigger beaches and a 15 minute walk to the left of the hotel as you face the sea is a gorgeous lagoon area, well worth the walk.I would recommend this hotel to everyone, go and enjoy.

Room Tip: My tip is do not pay the extra to upgrade to privilege as you will eat and drink the same as anyone...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank dezzer09
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This hotel is the most beautiful place I have ever stayed. The grounds are groomed daily and the total experience was that you knew you were in the Caribbean without going off the property. Staff was incredible, friendly, caring, courteous and totally enjoyed their work. Made you think that they were not working at all but enjoying themselves. Lots of variety in the menus so there should always have been something that you liked. Entertainment was great with a different theme every night. Saxophonist at the outdoor lobby area played every night and was superb. Also 2 men played wooden xylophone(not sure what it was called) once a week in the main dining room. All in all I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel to couples wanting a fun but romantic getaway. There were mosquitoes so take some bug repellent and Solarcaine which worked very well to relieve the itching once we were bit.

Room Tip: a room facing the water whether on the beach or mid grounds. sun is too hot to be able to sit on ba...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family