“Great affordable vacation for a couple”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #49 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We just got back from a four night stay. This was our first time at an all-inclusive resort, and we loved it. We were greeted with frozen drinks, and the pampering did not stop after that. The staff was great; we especially loved Jacobo at the pool bar. The food was decent. There was a good selection to choose from. The beach wasn't the best for swimming, but it was better than some of the surrounding resorts that we walked by. However, the lounge area of the beach was great. We usually prefer to swim in beaches, but ended up spending a lot of time in the pool, and had a great time. The resort is well manicured. There is a nice jungle run if you want to get some exercise. We would recommend this resort if you want a relaxing, affordable vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 17, which was perfectly situated between restaurants and pool. NIce and quiet.
1  Thank Monkeyc270

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Over the Christmas holiday, we stayed for one wonderful week at the H10 Ocean Maya Royale beach (adults only!) resort. We had an amazing experience from the time we landed at the Cancun airport and were picked up by our travel representative from Lomas travel. Freddy Argaez was our rep at the hotel and he was professional, informative and very courteous. The staff at Ocean Maya Royale continued that warm, inviting feeling upon our arrival. They were all consummate professionals and very friendly. Our villa was oceanside and very comfortable and clean. The housekeeping staff did an amazing job of tidying our room and keeping the mini bar stocked, The pools were wonderful and the entertainment staff - Omar, Susanna, Hector, Amanda and others were so much fun to get to know. We went to almost every nightly show in the theatre on the resort and were not disappointed! During the day, the entertainment staff were there encouraging guests to join them for water aerobics (which we did almost every day!), water polo, which Mark enjoyed, archery lessons, scuba lessons in the pool, dance classes on the pool deck, silly games in the pool, and beach walks to the nearby cove where the ocean meets a freshwater stream and the mangroves and where you can snorkle to take photos of the fish. Mark did this and was not disappointed!
The restaruants on the resort were wonderful; the Japanese restaurant was delicious, El Charro, the Mexican restaurant was great, but our favorite was La Dolce Vita, the Italian restaurant - the salmon was out of this world! The Hacienda is open for a wonderful buffet breakfast, lunch, and dinner and you will be amazed at the variety of entrees, salads, drinks, and desserts that are offered. We also made use of the fully outfitted gym and I visited the spa and had a French manicure done. My nail tech was so friendly, it was a real treat! We rented a car from the inhouse car rental ($92.00 per day American) and we drove to Tulum early in the day to tour this magical Mayan ruin. After Tulum we drove into Playa del Carmen and walked 5th Avenue to take in the culture and the wonderful shopping and dining. You may want to book a tour with the front desk or your travel rep. instead of driving yourself if you're unfamiliar with driving in a foreigh country - we may do this next time. To wrap up this wonderful vacation, we attended the New Year's Eve Party and were served lobster and champagne whilel we were entertained by the entertainment staff and other locall performers. It was magical and so much fun! This was a wonderful experience, and we will be returning for a longer stay. Have a wonderful time!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank K M
Reviewed January 19, 2013

i picked this resort to impress my girlfriend as was told it was adult only and had dress code.We live 2000 miles apart and this was our romantic getaway planned since july...First of all the service was top flight and prompt but we shouldnt have had to call so often..Ive been to playa area many times so know the ropes and were pestered at check in about the free breakfast at their sister resort...3 hours of my time isnt worth a $150 credit...Upon checking into our ocean view room wondered where the ocean was ,,certainly couldnt see from our patio,,strike 1
My gal and i dressed up for dinner as the rules specified,long pants required in all dining areas,,my fiance is the best dressed women iv ever seen so you can imagine our reaction to seeing hillbillies in ball caps ,cut off shorts and sandles,some were barefoot...I immediately ran to the desk to voice my shock and was told it was to be addressed..strike 2...No one wore proper attire according to the signs posted..
Our tiny fridge was replaced twice but never kept thing even cool,,,some drunk person thought our door was a urinal too..
Now the adult only part...since when is an 18 year old an adult..these kids were over served and public urination was common along with vomiting next to our recliners..,,Not the romantic getaway i paid $3300 for..When we checked out we werent even asked how our stay was,i wanted so badly to speak up but didnt want to embarrass my self in front of my girl.../
we were very disappointed but the pool staff made it enjoyable

Room Tip: there arent any real ocean view rooms except upper floor of just 2 buildings yielding 4 total,not th...
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The hotel is top class. Entertainment team were amazing speical thanks to Omar, Geovani, Javier, Suzanne and Denise they are all very talented and friendly. They host the games around the pool during the day and put on excellent shows at night. I even took part in carving an ice statue of two fish by the pool. Big thanks to the team from Paul and Sally from England. I spent my birthday there and had a cake left in my room when we returned in the afternoon, then had another one after our meal at Japanese restuarant. They really do want to make your holiday very special. Can not think of anything we did not like about our time there. All the staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you would recommend this hotel to all. Sally had to see Doctor twice do to bad reaction to mosquito bites she was treated very well, excellent treatment. Reception phoned our room next day to see how she was and asked if there was anything they could do for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 16 which was close to all Restuarants and pool.
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Maya for two weeks from the 3rd Jan. The hotel is beautifully laid out and very well presented with the three restaurants all providing a good choice of food. The two pools give you a choice of either a chilled relaxed atmosphere or the much more lively bar pool (my personal choice). You are never short of a sun bed although do need to get up early to get the best positions.
The Beach is the only real let down here as isn't exactly the expected holiday magazine image but compared to others nearby it could have been much worse. An extra bar would also add another option to the main foyer bar.
For me personally the staff and (especially) the entertainment team are what made my holiday special. There are a variety of activities available during the day which the team are not too pushy on + the evening entertainment every night. The team of Jess, Omar, Gio, Havier, Amy, Carmen & Denise are brilliant and deserve the praise.
Thanks guys
Matt

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank MattyFezza
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read so many complements to the Hotel, specially our entertainment staff. It is great to know that you have had a wonderful stay with us. We also thank you for the understanding about the beach.

We hope to see you soon!!

Kind regards,

Maria Lopez
Sundirectora
Ocean Maya Royale
subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our group of 12 just returned from the OMR (stayed 1/11-1/17). We chose this resort based on price and the reviews on TripAdvisor. We had a great time and can't say enough how great the service at this resort was. From the front desk to the maids to the entertainment staff - this resort knows customer service.

We had an ocean view room and enjoyed it. There was a bottle of wine and some apples in our room upon arrival - a very nice touch. We were right on the main path to the pool on the bottom level so it was an excellent spot for us all to meet up at. We had a pillow topper on our bed which helps with the hardness of the mattress. Otherwise our room was cleaned nicely each day and no problems with anything. Mini bar was refilled daily.

The food was good and in my opinion if you can't find something good to eat you are just not looking. The Japanese restaurant was okay - not my favorite but I still enjoyed my entree. The Mexican restaurant was good and I wish we'd have eaten there a couple of times. We ate at the Italian restaurant twice. The food was great but the best part of this restaurant is the location-right down on the ocean. Beautiful!

The staff at this resort is their best asset. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. Every request at the front desk was made with a smile and if they could do it they did. The bar staff, the waiters/waitresses at the restaurants, the maids - every single person we met was so friendly and helpful. They even set up a room for us to watch the Green Bay-San Fran football game!

And then we have the entertainment staff - We can't say enough good things about Amy Jean. We called her Amy Jean the beauty Queen. She is gorgeous and so full of energy!! She took great care of our group even getting us a folding table out by the pool so we could play our dice game. She was there every day making sure we were having a good time. Between her and Omar we did not lack for entertainment. The resort would be wise to make sure these talented people remain in their employ. Please pass on to them again our heartfelt thanks for taking such good care of us!!

And now with all the good comes the bad which is why I didn't rate this resort a 5 star. The beach is terrible. I realize that some of this is uncontrollable by the resort. They did work hard at raking up the sea grass every day. However - there really isn't much of a beach at all. The whole front of the resort is sandbags and a boardwalk. We tried to walk part of the beach to the north but it is so dirty beyond the resort that you are constantly dodging sea grass and garbage. So if you have visions of being able to walk a long strand of beautiful sand along the ocean this resort is not for you. If you don't care about the beach at all you will love it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have just returned from our 7 day stay at Ocean Maya Royale. I traveled with my husband, my 3 siblings, their spouses, and 2 other couples. Our overall stay was great. The weather was very nice. It was quiet windy but that helped keep us cool as we soaked up the Mexico rays. Our experiance started out with a very warm reception from the front desk. They were helpful and explained everything very well. One of our couples did not get their oceanview room the first night but were assured that they would the second night and they did. Our rooms were very nice and clean. I would suggest if you do not have a pillow top on your bed ask for one it does help the beds are on the hard side. Maid service was very good and kept our mini bar full the entire stay. I loved being able to take a couple of cold bottles of water to the beach in the morning and have a cold beer in the evening. The food overall was your typical all inclusive food. The buffet at times was not hot but a large variety to choose from so no one went hungry. Jorge was my favorite waiter! He got me my own special mexican salsa for breakfast. The other restaurants were all very good. Great service at all three. One down fall that I thought was that there is only 2 bars. The Pool Bar and the Lobby Bar. So in the evening after the Pool Bar closed everyone heads to the Lobby Bar. There is not nearly enough seating for everyone because this is were guests wait to eat and also wait for the shows to begin. We only attend one show but it was good. The entertainment staff does a great job all day long. Amy Jean was amazing!! She greated us daily and was so helpful in getting us a table to play our "family game" of Left, Right, Center!(dice) My husband and I treated ourselves to a full body massage in the spa. It was amazing, worth every penny! Another huge plus is the adult only! We loved not having little children around. I am a grandma, but a relaxing vacation for me is spending it with adults. We will for sure do that again. A big disappointment for us was the quality of the beach. My husband and I enjoy walking the beach and he enjoys swimming. The beach was not good for either. We did go down to the lagoon that everyone talks about but again the walk there was not easy. So we mostly spent our time by the pool which was awesome!! Would I go back to this particular hotel probably not, but it still was very nice. We relaxed, enjoyed beautiful weather and cold drinks! Life is Good!

Room Tip: Upper floor if you get an oceanview room Get a pillow top for bed
1  Thank Mamac61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#61 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#38 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!