“Entertainment Heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #48 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Entertainment Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Ocean Maya for two weeks from the 3rd Jan. The hotel is beautifully laid out and very well presented with the three restaurants all providing a good choice of food. The two pools give you a choice of either a chilled relaxed atmosphere or the much more lively bar pool (my personal choice). You are never short of a sun bed although do need to get up early to get the best positions.
The Beach is the only real let down here as isn't exactly the expected holiday magazine image but compared to others nearby it could have been much worse. An extra bar would also add another option to the main foyer bar.
For me personally the staff and (especially) the entertainment team are what made my holiday special. There are a variety of activities available during the day which the team are not too pushy on + the evening entertainment every night. The team of Jess, Omar, Gio, Havier, Amy, Carmen & Denise are brilliant and deserve the praise.
Thanks guys
Matt

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank MattyFezza
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read so many complements to the Hotel, specially our entertainment staff. It is great to know that you have had a wonderful stay with us. We also thank you for the understanding about the beach.

We hope to see you soon!!

Kind regards,

Maria Lopez
Sundirectora
Ocean Maya Royale
subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,525)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cumberland, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our group of 12 just returned from the OMR (stayed 1/11-1/17). We chose this resort based on price and the reviews on TripAdvisor. We had a great time and can't say enough how great the service at this resort was. From the front desk to the maids to the entertainment staff - this resort knows customer service.

We had an ocean view room and enjoyed it. There was a bottle of wine and some apples in our room upon arrival - a very nice touch. We were right on the main path to the pool on the bottom level so it was an excellent spot for us all to meet up at. We had a pillow topper on our bed which helps with the hardness of the mattress. Otherwise our room was cleaned nicely each day and no problems with anything. Mini bar was refilled daily.

The food was good and in my opinion if you can't find something good to eat you are just not looking. The Japanese restaurant was okay - not my favorite but I still enjoyed my entree. The Mexican restaurant was good and I wish we'd have eaten there a couple of times. We ate at the Italian restaurant twice. The food was great but the best part of this restaurant is the location-right down on the ocean. Beautiful!

The staff at this resort is their best asset. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. Every request at the front desk was made with a smile and if they could do it they did. The bar staff, the waiters/waitresses at the restaurants, the maids - every single person we met was so friendly and helpful. They even set up a room for us to watch the Green Bay-San Fran football game!

And then we have the entertainment staff - We can't say enough good things about Amy Jean. We called her Amy Jean the beauty Queen. She is gorgeous and so full of energy!! She took great care of our group even getting us a folding table out by the pool so we could play our dice game. She was there every day making sure we were having a good time. Between her and Omar we did not lack for entertainment. The resort would be wise to make sure these talented people remain in their employ. Please pass on to them again our heartfelt thanks for taking such good care of us!!

And now with all the good comes the bad which is why I didn't rate this resort a 5 star. The beach is terrible. I realize that some of this is uncontrollable by the resort. They did work hard at raking up the sea grass every day. However - there really isn't much of a beach at all. The whole front of the resort is sandbags and a boardwalk. We tried to walk part of the beach to the north but it is so dirty beyond the resort that you are constantly dodging sea grass and garbage. So if you have visions of being able to walk a long strand of beautiful sand along the ocean this resort is not for you. If you don't care about the beach at all you will love it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Turtle Lake, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have just returned from our 7 day stay at Ocean Maya Royale. I traveled with my husband, my 3 siblings, their spouses, and 2 other couples. Our overall stay was great. The weather was very nice. It was quiet windy but that helped keep us cool as we soaked up the Mexico rays. Our experiance started out with a very warm reception from the front desk. They were helpful and explained everything very well. One of our couples did not get their oceanview room the first night but were assured that they would the second night and they did. Our rooms were very nice and clean. I would suggest if you do not have a pillow top on your bed ask for one it does help the beds are on the hard side. Maid service was very good and kept our mini bar full the entire stay. I loved being able to take a couple of cold bottles of water to the beach in the morning and have a cold beer in the evening. The food overall was your typical all inclusive food. The buffet at times was not hot but a large variety to choose from so no one went hungry. Jorge was my favorite waiter! He got me my own special mexican salsa for breakfast. The other restaurants were all very good. Great service at all three. One down fall that I thought was that there is only 2 bars. The Pool Bar and the Lobby Bar. So in the evening after the Pool Bar closed everyone heads to the Lobby Bar. There is not nearly enough seating for everyone because this is were guests wait to eat and also wait for the shows to begin. We only attend one show but it was good. The entertainment staff does a great job all day long. Amy Jean was amazing!! She greated us daily and was so helpful in getting us a table to play our "family game" of Left, Right, Center!(dice) My husband and I treated ourselves to a full body massage in the spa. It was amazing, worth every penny! Another huge plus is the adult only! We loved not having little children around. I am a grandma, but a relaxing vacation for me is spending it with adults. We will for sure do that again. A big disappointment for us was the quality of the beach. My husband and I enjoy walking the beach and he enjoys swimming. The beach was not good for either. We did go down to the lagoon that everyone talks about but again the walk there was not easy. So we mostly spent our time by the pool which was awesome!! Would I go back to this particular hotel probably not, but it still was very nice. We relaxed, enjoyed beautiful weather and cold drinks! Life is Good!

Room Tip: Upper floor if you get an oceanview room Get a pillow top for bed
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mamac61
Mineola, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was my first trip to Mexico and my first experience with all inclusive. The grounds were beautiful and the climate was comfortable. Most of the staff was very helpful. Room service restaurant was hard to contact sometimes. Food was good and pool activities and pool area were nice. If you like the beach I would look for a different property. The cabanas are very nice, but the beach and water were not good during our stay. I got my PADI divers certification while I was there. The dive shop and staff where very nice. If not for the the beach I would stay again. I wish I had been able to stay a few more days. Playa del Carmen is maybe 6 miles away. Felt very safe all trip

Room Tip: We did a Privilege upgrade with a Jr suite. Huge room, internet, and lots of perks. Very quiet prope...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

If you are looking for a wonderful place to get away, this is it! There is so much to see and do in the area, if you're just looking to kick back and relax and have great food, again, they've got you covered. Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2013
13 Thank BJ1702
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was our first trip to Mexico and I was a bit concerned about this particular hotel due to the relative lack of info the H10 website has about it. We booked it based upon the recommendations of our travel agent. As soon as we arrived at the front gate those concerns disappeared. The hotel is beautiful, through and through.

The top two things I found most impressive were the overall friendliness of the staff (in particular bartenders Jacob - who I'll discuss later - and Raphael) and the talents of the Entertainment staff.
Overall everything was great so you can stop reading here if you want. Continue on if you want more detail.

The Entertainment staff is there day and night. During the day they helped make our time lounging at the pool more... well, more entertaining I guess with activities to break up the day. But at night these people put on shows that amazed us. Great dancers and performers. It's pretty amazing what they do, when you think that they are "regular employees" during the day.

The bartenders were always happy, all of them with the exception of one. Jacob. Jacob was the first bartender to show even the slightest hint of surliness. He was all business all the time, until we engaged him beyond shouting out a drink order that is (we didn't shout we were polite). Once we talked with him he immediately became our favorite. He was open and real and it felt like we immediately got behind any painted-on smile. Jacob was our favorite (it's worth saying twice).

As for the grounds I expected something lush and beautiful and this place delivered as expected. I especially like the small size of it. Only 300 or so rooms I think.

Each day we went to the beach we found a covered beach bed available (the uncovered ones were also available). Plenty of lounge chairs available too. The pool is a different story though. Though there are signs saying not to reserve chairs, we all know how well signs work. People always went to the pool early in the morning to put their towels and books on poolside chairs then left. That's rude and I would hope the hotel could address it somehow but that's a tough one. People are people and it's going to happen. That just meant we had to spend more time at the swim up bar, where we really got to know our other favorite bartender Raphael. He took very good care of us.

As for the ocean, there appears to be no reef to break the waves here so it's not a calm clear bay or at least it wasn't during our 7 days (Jan 5 through 12 2013). But, if you're looking for a place to spend time lounging poolside and on the beach but not necessarily swimming in the ocean this is your place. That seems to fit with the clientele that were there. Our group ranged from 20 to 40 in age and there were more people on the 40 year old end of the spectrum than the 20 year old end.

I almost forgot to mention the food - it's all great. There's really not much else to say we hit La Dolce Vita twice because that was the best overall place in our opinion, but the rest were also very good.
That's all I can think of - hope this helps.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dan b
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at Ocean Maya from Jan 5th-12th, 2013. It was an excellent time. We have stayed at other resorts in Riveria Maya before and this definetly was the best one. It is smaller than the mega resorts but I think that is what it made it better. We also liked the Adults Only policy. The staff is excellent all the way around from the maids to the entertainment staff. Our bartenders for the week: Jacobo Morales, Ever Lopez, and Rafael were the most attentive. We never had an empty drink. Luis, who made our massage reservations was awesome. He went above and beyond his job. It truly was just a great place to stay. We will defintely will be going back!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Charity R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#55 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,667 reviews
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,161 reviews

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!