“OK, but not 5 a star”

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #44 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed November 17, 2003

The resort was nice but not of 5 star quality. more like 3ish. The fitness equipment was a joke, outside in the open, rusty and wet on an astro turf covered wooden platform. The spa was also cold, when there was water in it. The buffet was good and the grounds were clean and well kept. The staff we checked in with were not helpful at all after we told them we were not interested in their sales pitch for time shares. The doors to the rooms were very loud when closing, so you would hear every time someone used a door in your building, this became very annoying as time went on. The tennis courts and archery 'range' were so infested with bugs, they were not even usable. One needs to be aware that different prices are offered to potential tourists, for the different excursions from the resort, depending upon what country you are from. They cater very much to Canadians and Europeans and seem to try and gouge the Americans. All in all, an OK place, but I won't be going back.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,901)

Appleton, WI
Reviewed November 9, 2003

This was my first trip to Mexico so I was not sure what to expect at all. I went in with no expectations and I was pleasantly surprised.
When we first got to the resort I was blown away by the entrance, the beautiful landscaping and the exotic flowers. The Lobby of this resort is a sight to see. Lots of places to sit and have a drink, with a large water fountain in the center.

The staff was very friendly and always willing to help out. Our room was not ready when we checked in because we were early, so they showed us a place to change into our swimsuits and then held our luggage in a locked room until our rooms were ready.

Each night they have a show in the theatre, and I thoroughly enjoyed the show we saw. Audience participation and a friendly staff made it an enjoyable experience.

The Food was pretty good. The buffet had a good selection to choose from, and the restaurant by the pool was a great place to eat breakfast. they served omelets, toast, and other misc. breakfast foods.
The gourmet restaurant upstairs was OK, but we preferred the buffet.

The rooms were nice sized, and each had air conditioning. We had a few problems..our AC quit one day, but the repairmen came to our room and soon fixed it. The other problem was that a Gecco ( a small lizard) got into our room. The front desk sent someone over to get it right away-no big deal at all. The Geccos really don't bother you at all...they like to sit on the ceilings and walls.

Overall I really enjoyed this resort and I would recommend it to anyone going to Mexico. We already plan to visit again in 2005 and I am sure we will be staying here.

Reviewed November 9, 2003

I just got back (with my wife and 2 kids) from a great week in the Club El-Mandarin. I can only say good things about this place. Clean: spick and span in every aspect. Beautiful: chalets and grounds maintained with the utmost care. Food: Great and fresh. Entertainment Staff: The icing on the cake. They were very friendly, I saw them entertain kids, adults and seniors with a smile all the time. My kids did not want to go back and got so much attached to the friendly people. Never saw happier people on the job. To all of you at the Club El-Mandarin: thank you for a wonderful time. Cheers.

Appleton, Wi
Reviewed November 9, 2003

We visited El Mandarin Nov. 1-5th. The visit was wonderful. The food was good and the staff was excellant. The guest service staff was always helpful. Our air conditioning broke and was fixed within an hour. Friendly little Geico's too keep everyone company. We were so exhausted from all our day trips that we didn't see many of the shows or experience the disco all that often. If you are looking for a relaxing time with a beautiful view. This is the place to go. I had a great time and I know the rest of the group that was with me did too.

Europe
Reviewed October 16, 2003

Hi, I am actually at Bravo Club El Mandarin and I was looking forward to a great holiday with great activities, sports and entertainment. I have been in more than 100 Clubs like Club Med, Ventaclub, Robinson, Aldiana, Garden Club, Allegro, Coralia but I never was in such a horrible Resort! First od all: The rooms are good and the food is good, but it is not 5 stars or "first class". It is average, nice decoration, smiling Mexican waiters and bar tenders but a horrible entertainment and activities team. Never saw such a poor service and people, not smiling, not greeting, no "Good morning" no "Hello" or "Hi", some of the girls smile sometimes. But how should they smile and greet if even the Manager doesn^t. No service, no chance to get some help to get a tennis partner! 25 minutes after volleyball is announced still no staff at the volleyball court. Staff is flirting with guests and not doing the job. The village is European has nothing to do with Mexico. They waste a lot of resources, use too much water and produce tons of plastic garbage. At the beach sometimes 3 different musics from 3 different spots, horrible stretching and a horrible programm. Guests are waitinhg permanently for the "primadonnas".

Worst of all is the daily showtime. Sketches about gays and transvestites for more than 1 hour and the entertainment team doesn^t even stop when 50% of the guests have left. I saw programms that Club med played mor than 10 myears ago. Parts of "Cabaret" so so poor and horrible quality: the guy didn't even learn his playback! The members of the team are the ones who laugh most on stage, maybe they find it funny. Dear El Mandarin: I'D LIKE TO HAVE NICE HOLIDAYS. I'LL SPEND THE REST OF MY VACATION IN PLAYA, WILL RENT A CAR AND DRIVE TO MERIDA. No more poor and cheap programms at El Mandarin. If you continue like that, you will have to sell your Resort on the last minute market for low rates. Horrible Resort without emotions, without feelings, with arrogant and ignorant people - my ranking: 100% garbage!

Victoria, BC
Reviewed September 15, 2003

We just got back from a week at Bravo Club El Mandarin (Sept. 6 - 14) and had a great time. After reading all the negative reviews I was kind of nervous. The grounds were beautiful, our room was lovely and clean. The air conditioner with remote worked to whatever temperature you set and was very quiet. There seemed to be a lot of activity to do if you wanted. We preferred to go to the beach and we were never pestered. The water was clear and clean when we were there and no smell (other than the salt smell which I like) There is a pier out to one side but I also liked to walk out on that and see the pelicans. The other way you can walked for miles on deserted sand beach. There is a new hotel going up next door but we didn't hear any noise from it. We also thought the buffet was very good with a lot of choice and the staff were very courteous and friendly. It was rainy season when we went so we were prepared but we only had rain overnight one night. It was extremely hot and humid so I would probably go at a different time of year but nothing to do with the hotel. I loved the fact that you stepped outside your door and you were in the grounds not in a corridor. One tour we went on that I thought was great was the aquatic expedition. We went in a shuttle van with a small group. Our quide was Rauol and he was wonderful. We went to Akumel area and snorkelled in a lagoon and then out to the reef. It was also perfect visibility and calm which helped. We saw sea turtles and sting rays and tons of beautiful fish. We then went to Grand Cenote and snorkelled in the fresh water and into some caves. Very cool. We then packed up and went to a deserted beach south of Tulum and swam in the ocean there while lunch was prepared. It was wonderful sitting out under a simple hut, eating lunch, looking at the ocean. (Maybe not for the playacar set) Then after lunch we went inland and into a jungle area and snorkelled at another cenote. It was the least beautiful but filled with small fish and we saw some beautiful bright parrot like birds on the way there. All in all a great day.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Odessa, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2003

For the last 20 years my wife and I have spent at least one week a year in the tropics. Club El Mandarin is about as good as it gets. We rate resorts in the following criteria in this order. Clean. From the front gate to the beach this place is pristine. We have three judgments on clean. How does it look? How does it smell? How does it feel? The plants and grass are manicured each day. The beach and beach chairs are cleaned continually by people who have beach boy on their shirts. We had a house boy instead of a maid. He worked about an hour a day on our room. Not a speck of dirt or a grain of sand was left. Towels and sheets smelled and felt fresh and clean. All items in the dining rooms looked and felt super clean. No spots, no oily feel. The room. Large with beautiful marble tile. Freshly painted. Furniture looked new. The refrigerator worked well. A very comfortable king size bed. Sheets and pillows that felt very good. You adjust the air conditioner. The shower had so much water that I had to turn it down to be comfortable. The food. WOW. I could spend a whole page on freshness, presentation, variety and quality. We have been to 5 star resorts that did have food near this good. Fresh fruit and vegetables every day and we did not get sick. The Staff. They were wonderful. When we asked for anything not only did we get it right away, the person who provided it had the attitude that they had made a goal or hit a home run. The person we asked made us feel as if we had done them a favor. You should try this one before the rating goes to 5 or 6 stars and the price goes up with it.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member