“A Great Getaway”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #44 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed for 10 nights at this beautiful resort. Ocean Maya Royale is part of the H10 hotel chain and is situated app. 15 km outside Playa del Carmen. Taxi from the hotel to Playa del Carmen costs 20 USD each way, alternatively you can go by bus which costs 4 USD. It offers all inclusive and is an adult only-resort. Our room was situated on the 2nd floor with our own balcony. The room was spacious, clean and had a large bathroom with shower. The minibar was refilled every day. There is no wifi in the room, but there is free wifi in the hotel lobby. The hotel offers all inclusive and there are four different restaurants on the resort: one buffet, one mexican, one oriental and one with an Italian cousine. We definitely preferred the oriental when eating a la carte. The food was great and the service outstanding. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. The hotel has two pools and has its own private beach. The beach is not great, but works just fine. The all inclusive program included free non motorized water activities such as kayak, snorkling etc. All in all this resort is very recommendable!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank JacobOslo
Write a ReviewReviews (6,901)

Reviewed November 23, 2012

After a miserable British 'summer', we stayed at OMR with another couple for 2 weeks in November. They did three day trips out - we stayed by the pool. Great hotel, great room, great pools and amazing staff - no one stood out, they all worked so hard at making our stay exactly what we needed. Loved the choice between activity pool and quiet pool, loved the all inclusive - others have reported 'yobs' drinking all day and being loud by pool - I would suugest it was more boisterous letting down of hair and making the most of what was on offer - from what we saw. The quiet pool and beach areas offered lots of space to avoid this. Never saw the dreaded 'seaweed' discussed so often. Cannot recommend this hotel enough - cheap at the price, great drinks on offer all day, fab choice of food all day (it never seemed to stop!) friendly staff - not a 5star rated hotel but it gets a well deserved excellent rating from the four of us.

Coco Bongos trip organised through holiday rep - we went gold members, danced the night away, had the most brilliant seats, got spectacularly drunk and had two husbands singing YMCA all the way back to the hotel. Just gotta do it!

Room Tip: We stayed in block 26 - good rooms - close to pool and a gentle saunter to dinner.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Madcats63
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean Maya for 7 days along with 3 other couples at the beginning of November.
We had been to Cancun before and were not that thrilled...it was so busy, we called it The Vegas of Mexico...so we weren't sure what to expect with our most recent visit to Mexico.

Firstly, before I forget...I am not sure if arriving on a Sunday flight into Cancun airport is always like this, but it was two hours in line to go through customs...long wait after sitting on a plane for a few hours...and then there is another baggage check before you get out of the airport...we were glad to finally get to the bus that was taking us to the resort.

It took about 45 mins. from Cancun airport to get to the Ocean Maya...not long at all. Everyone was very helpful and kind, it was a smooth ride.
The resort is smaller than others we have stayed at...I think at capacity there were enough rooms for 500 people?...at any rate, we all agreed it made for a more laid back environment.

Our room looked out onto the activities area and pool area...at first I thought we would have to listen to loud music all night, but a pleasant surprise is that everything is closed down around that particular area by 7pm...quiet sleeping was never an issue.
There is a fridge in the room, but it didn't really work all that well at keeping things cold. The coffee maker was alright, but you only get one package of coffee and no creamer. The bathroom was clean with a good sized walk in shower....our room had two double beds...not the most comfortable I have slept in, but after a few margarita's who cares....lol
Oh yes...no robes in the rooms as advertised...no biggy...but I didn't bring one thinking they were provided, so you may want to go prepared knowing this now.

The food in the main buffet was pretty good, although I am a vegetarian and found that sometimes even the salads had meat in them, there was always loads of fresh fruit and other things to choose from. We also ate at all the other restaurants and I have to say my fave was the Mexican one. The food was really good! The Japanese restaurant is very entertaining and the Italian one can't be beat for atmosphere on the beach area.

The beach was interesting...and may I say, I never once saw a single piece of seaweed so I have no idea what other reviewers were complaining about??...it was lovely white sand with two smaller areas where you could go into the ocean, and a raised area reserved for the Privileged guests....anyone could be upgrade to privilege for a fee, but we all decided it really didn't seem worth it.

The staff makes this resort what it is...everyone of them were super friendly and always had greetings and a smile..service on the beach was excellent...we always tipped a little and that helps. The other wonderful thing is that there was always plenty of staff, so there was never any waiting for drinks or food...

There is a lot to do..or very little to do....activities are posted on a board, and you decide if you want to do anything. The grounds are impecable....I don't think I have ever been to a resort where they take such great care of the gardens and grounds. Lots of wild life at the resort as well....iguanas always sunning themselves...and do the resort a favour and follow the rules...don't feed any of the animals, it just makes them more reliant on humans and that's not healthy for any wild animal. It's the animal that always pays for our faults, not us...keep that in mind.

We also did a few excursions....Tulum and Xel Ha....an all day adventure...both places were very busy, and I don't think I would go back to Xel Ha. It was an interesting experience, but the snorkeling was terrible....no fish!...too populated with people standing on what little coral islands are left...so much sunscreen in the water the fish were probably all choking...if you do go...right behind the main restaurant area follow the path and look for little palm covered tables...you can snorkel anywhere (basically) throughout this park, and if you go into one of the areas with these tables, you have your own private little beach area to enter the water.... it's much quieter and there are more fish to see. If you enter into the water right out from where the main building is it's very busy with not alot of aquatic life.Oh yes, the park is all inclusive...food and booze...and it's a family place....interesting to say the least.

The big question...would we go back to the Ocean Maya Royale?....loved the adults only bit...the staff are wonderful...the room we had was quite nice...the beach was great, the resort is pristine and clean, so yes, at some point....but I am also finding that personally...my husband and I are moving away from 7 day all inclusives and creating more of our own travel experiences...so perhaps my opinion is biast to this, however, if you are looking for a nice, well priced all inclusive then yes...the Ocean Maya Royale is a good deal for the money.

P.S a personal beef with all inclusives??...people reserving beach lounges first thing in the morning...bugs me...a lot...happens no matter where you stay...

Room Tip: Bring your own robe...fridges don't really work....beds are more hard than they are soft...if yo...
8  Thank PipCheedwell
Reviewed November 21, 2012

While one of the smaller resorts ( as it turns out ) - there was no shortage of fun, food choices and activities during our one week stay. Being smaller, we got to know the other guests and staff better - everyone was friendly !! The mix of guests was fun too - young and old all enjoying themselves. We met some Brits who were staying 3 weeks and it was their 3rd year there ! The entire staff are what make this place special - they want to make you happy. Would recommend to anyone. Close to Playa del Carmen and all its activities for those who want to venture out. Jorge, Urei and the maitre d in the Italian restaurant were standouts. Vicente is looking after our watch as we ran out of tip money - and he deserved a tip !

Room Tip: By the design of the resort - all rooms are quiet except for a few near the party pool.
7  Thank GordieMac5551212
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have recently returned from a lovely winter break at H10 Ocean Maya Royale. I would recommend this hotel as a good value for money break. Adults only, all inclusive; the hotel has been refurbished to a high standard. There is free wifi in the lobby for all which is a nice option. The grounds are maintained to an immaculate standard and there are lots of local wildlife popping up on a regular basis, coatis, raccoons, iguanas amongst others, which is lovely. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with a regularly stocked fridge and you can get room service on the all inclusive if you fancy a lazy night in. We received a bottle of champagne in the room on arrival which was a welcome start to our holiday. There is a coffee shop which offers every variety you could think of which was another quite unique and pleasant option. There was a good choice of food in the buffet restaurant and I particularly liked the breakfasts, especially with the saxophonist playing in the background. The Japanese and italian restaurants were reasonably good. However, I personally found the Mexican restaurant to be really disappointing during the day so we didn't bother in the evening. I couldn't fault the service from nearly all the hotel staff who are really courteous and generally go out of their way, it really made our holiday. The weather was also excellent throughout which is a nice bonus.
The only criticisms that I could possibly have (however, these certainly didn't spoil our holiday) - The hotel is adults only but there are ridiculous Club 18-30 type drinking games around the main pool which isn't really in keeping with the rest of the mellow, relaxed atmosphere and the sophisticated standards that the hotel appears to be aiming for. So the pool is often full of bladdered yobs shouting and whooping all day until they are literally carried away. We spoke to a large number of other guests who brought up the same issue. Fortunately the beach area is quiet so can avoid it if you wish.
The other little annoyance was the two tier privilege system. Whilst I appreciate holiday makers like the option to pay extra for a room upgrade but the hotel is rated at five star, so why an extra level of VIP treatment that almost mocks the 'standard' guests? (Again a number of other guests brought up the same issue) I personally would have preferred that the hotel charge a little bit more and offer comfier loungers and wifi throughout the hotel than have the privilege sections. We were tempted to upgrade simply for the comfier loungers in the barricaded privilege beach area but it is pretty costly for not a lot extra in my opinion.
Notwithstanding the above, I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would certainly consider returning in the future.

Room Tip: 37 block is nice, close enough to the pool, italian and mexican, with a partial sea view but still q...
7  Thank RockefellaWarrington
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice little resort for the money. It is small and that is why we chose it. No need to upgrade unless you just have to have top shelf liquor. Very clean and nice. The lunch buffet was the worst part of the stay. It was very random and not too tasty. But dinner was great. The Asian restaurant is delicious! The beach was good. Rocky but that's to be expected in that area. The wait staff all so nice and attentive.
The beds were a little lumpy but not terrible. Room was always nice and cool and clean and was pleasant visually.
I recommend this resort and would go back!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Amanda K
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I just returned from a week long stay at OMR with my fiance. We specifically chose this hotel because had stayed at Ocean Blue in Punta Cana earlier this year, and loved it, so we figured we would stay within the same hotel chain. The resort was beautiful, and of course the entertainment staff was great. The food definitely exceeded our expectations... especially the Japanese food, with a wonderful Hibachi and really good sushi.

But then there was the downside... the room. In general I was not a huge fan of it, partly because it doesn't have a real bathroom door, and partly because it was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever been on. But I could have easily lived with those things. The real problem was that our room smelled like a SEWER! There was a problem with the shower plumbing and sewer gases were venting up into our room. It came and went, but when it was present, it was really disgusting. We called or went to the front desk every day to complain, and all they would do was send someone to put some detergent into the shower drain, and the problem would come right back. I am not hard to please, but living in sewer smell is a bit too much, and the front desk staff really did not do much at all to help, despite our repeated pleas.

It's a shame we had those downsides, because otherwise it was a very nice hotel. It's pretty small, and adults only, so it was pretty quiet. If you're looking for a place where you can party on occasion, this might not be the best place, as it remains fairly low key - most people are in bed after the 9pm show. The entertainment staff was really top notch though, and they deserve a ton of credit. For the price we paid it would probably be hard to find a better deal... just make sure you get a good room.

2  Thank Michael L
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are really sorry to read that we did fail to solve your room problem while you were here, I can ensure you that this is not the kind of standard of service we are use to give, so we will be taking the necesary measurements to make sure this does not happen again. We thank you also for the good comments made about the Property and specially the entertaiment staff. We hope that despite this inconvenience you did have a great holiday.

We hope you come back to give us a second chance.

Kind regards,