We have recently returned from a lovely winter break at H10 Ocean Maya Royale. I would recommend this hotel as a good value for money break. Adults only, all inclusive; the hotel has been refurbished to a high standard. There is free wifi in the lobby for all which is a nice option. The grounds are maintained to an immaculate standard and there are lots of local wildlife popping up on a regular basis, coatis, raccoons, iguanas amongst others, which is lovely. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with a regularly stocked fridge and you can get room service on the all inclusive if you fancy a lazy night in. We received a bottle of champagne in the room on arrival which was a welcome start to our holiday. There is a coffee shop which offers every variety you could think of which was another quite unique and pleasant option. There was a good choice of food in the buffet restaurant and I particularly liked the breakfasts, especially with the saxophonist playing in the background. The Japanese and italian restaurants were reasonably good. However, I personally found the Mexican restaurant to be really disappointing during the day so we didn't bother in the evening. I couldn't fault the service from nearly all the hotel staff who are really courteous and generally go out of their way, it really made our holiday. The weather was also excellent throughout which is a nice bonus.
The only criticisms that I could possibly have (however, these certainly didn't spoil our holiday) - The hotel is adults only but there are ridiculous Club 18-30 type drinking games around the main pool which isn't really in keeping with the rest of the mellow, relaxed atmosphere and the sophisticated standards that the hotel appears to be aiming for. So the pool is often full of bladdered yobs shouting and whooping all day until they are literally carried away. We spoke to a large number of other guests who brought up the same issue. Fortunately the beach area is quiet so can avoid it if you wish.
The other little annoyance was the two tier privilege system. Whilst I appreciate holiday makers like the option to pay extra for a room upgrade but the hotel is rated at five star, so why an extra level of VIP treatment that almost mocks the 'standard' guests? (Again a number of other guests brought up the same issue) I personally would have preferred that the hotel charge a little bit more and offer comfier loungers and wifi throughout the hotel than have the privilege sections. We were tempted to upgrade simply for the comfier loungers in the barricaded privilege beach area but it is pretty costly for not a lot extra in my opinion.
Notwithstanding the above, I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would certainly consider returning in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HRS, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico