This was both of ours first experience at an all-inclusive. We ended up staying here for 3 nights and another all-inclusive in Tulum for 4 nights during our trip. This one was okay, but compared to the smaller more intimate one in Tulum Ocean Maya lost by a mile.
The gardens were nicely kept and the service staff were always friendly. The room was surprisingly large, but he mattress was not good at all and we had a tons of ants attack our room the first night. All the meals except dinner are buffet style. The taste of the food wasn't bad, but I am glad we only stayed 3 days or it would have gotten very redundant (especially breakfast and lunch). The pool was very large and nice, but it took some effort to get a spot if you weren't there at the beginning of the morning. Often, people would reserve spots and only return occasionally to their chairs. The beach was a nice point in our opinion. It wasn't as busy as the pool and was very relaxing. The only downside was how far the bar was from the beach area.
Between the buffet lines, the pool chair races, and the "entertainment team" the resounding opinion we made was that it felt like a stationary cruise ship.
On another note - the city of Playa del Carmen was very nice when we went and visited - but at $40 ($400 pesos) round trip, it's not something easily done. We enjoyed avenue 5 and being able to shop and visit the city beach.
It would be wrong to say we hated it; there are a lot of people and sometimes it felt like being trapped and herded like cattle (hence the cruise comparison). Next time, we will probably make more of an effort to stay in or close to Playa Del Carmen so we can shop and be more inundated with the culture of Mexico.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico