“STOP!!! Make sure you read THIS REVIEW”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #47 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Morecambe
“STOP!!! Make sure you read THIS REVIEW”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Thanks!! Now my wife and I have just got back from a fortnight at the hotel and had a fantastic time. Now I read the reviews prior to mine and the bad ones must either be a little bit loopy or expect far too much 'bang for their buck' The 2 weeks was fantastic from start to finish. Check in was smooth and quick. Rooms were tidy, spacious and well presented. All the staff were hard working, friendly and attentive (we tipped which might make a difference, not every time, but a few dollars here and there really help). The beach which quite a few people moaned about was kept very clean. I have seen reviews about seaweed to which I can only say 'get over yourselves' you get seaweed in the sea. The staff on the beach did everything they could constantly cleaning and raking to keep it as good as possible. The food was excellent, for breakfast the buffet was amazing, lots of choice and variety even for the fussiest of pallettes. The room service was prompt and tasty, the buffet lunches either in the main buffet restaurant or by the pool were also very good, with a range of snacks served in the poolside one and again a large variety in the main restaurant!! The choice for evenings was also excellent- Beach side Italian (with occasional raccoon visits), poolside Mexican, Asian by the lobby (tempanyaki or a la carte) and a buffet retaurant without equal!! Finally some specific thank you's to staff members (they were all excellent some just stick in your mind). M.Elizabeth our maid, the room was always clean, mini bar restocked, and towels changed. Bar staff of Antonio and Luis always there with a drink when needed. Yovanetti (cute), Vincente, and Daniel for the serving staff in the restaurants, and mainly Christine (entertainiments). She was new and her first day was the first day of our vacation. This girl is amazing!!! Friendly, outgoing, excellent English and involved right from the start (considering she must've been finding her feet in a new job!!). SO MAKE SURE THAT IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING STAYING HERE, JUST DO IT, ITS BRILLIANT

Room Tip: Go for first floor if you can, the ground floor rooms get visited by Raccoons and Coati's which...
10 Thank JohnnyHMorecambe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,569)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed during October for our honeymoon. To start, they upgraded us at no cost because it was our honeymoon! The staff were so talented and friendly! Susan did yoga and evening entertainment. Amy in customer service and evening entertainment. All of the bartenders!!!!! They were so friendly and made you feel at home right away! Love this resort and will return!

• Stayed October 2012
8 Thank Krinskya
cornwall
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel was fantastic, staff could not do enough for you. There are 4 restaurants to choose from, Japanese, Italian, Mexican and the buffet restaurant. Never had a bad meal, so much to choose from!! Our fav waiter was vincente, Jessica and Sandra, they felt like friends by the time we left.
The beach well that is lovely, I don't see why people complain about it, it's was clear and warm. We went snorkling most days and there are plenty of fish to see.
We did find it difficult to get a sunned around the busy pool if we weren't up early but there were plenty on the beach and along the seafront so it wasn't a big deal really.
The animation team were great Suzanne and Christine were my fav always included us and we joined in some of the party games!! They all work so hard and very long hours. The Thompson flight there and back was the worst part no working toilets!!!
Overall was a great time, if you want to knew anything just email me as I could go on forever!!!
Adults only is the way to go!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 1805 which had the sun all day. Was a couple of mins walk to the beach and the restaura...
10 Thank lucky3387
San Antonio
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Best vacation ever! I really enjoyed my stay along with five good friends at the OMR.

Beaches-
Very beautiful especially during the mid morning when the sun is up. Water is very clear during this part of the day as well. If you glance at the water during the early evening it may not be too clear due to the sun setting. At least that's what I think!

And 8 min away or so there is a beautiful lagoon which is a marvel! Check it out!!

Resort-
Very clean! Rooms were nice but bed could have been much more comfortable. We stayed in room 318. Bathroom is nice but as far as the shower it does take a good 3-4 min for it to warm up. Fridge is always refilled which is nice! Drinks are always available around the pool and in lobby and you can carry your favorite drink around where you wanted. By the way you get these wrist bands- we received a white one. Well those who received a black wrist band were able to get premium drinks. We on the other hand recieved good drinks but not the BEST. It depends on what you order.Had a live band at courtyard with a DJ one night and a Cuban band during another evening. There was s pool party which was good during our last night on a Friday. There was a rep available through our travel agent who was there to make sure we took advantage of the different excursions available. We went snorkeling on one excursion and visited chichen itza on the other. Very awesome!!! Much thanks Freddie for your services. My friends and I, we all had a awesome 5day vacation. Not to mention that this was my first time to Mexico and Playa Del Carmen.
Fabulous!!!! Recommend this resort to anyone!!

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank KanDb_29
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 6 day stay at ocean maya royale. We have travelled extensively staying at various hotels and chains. Previously in the Mayan we have stayed at the Bahia Coba, Valentin Imperial and the sister resort to the Ocean Maya the Ocean Coral and Turquesa. We got a great deal on this resort and don't regret our decision to stay here. The food good and surprisingly for me I liked the Mexican best. My only complaint is that pretty much all of the meat is fried. I have yet to see a grill. While it did taste good, the constant grease and fat added 6 pounds to my waste line....lol.....mind you the several mojitoes I had each day may have also contributed, lol. On that note, they are not shy with the alcohol, no watered drown drinks at this resort.
Truth be told, of the 4 resorts we stayed at I would rank this last. There wasn't anything that was particularly bad but I guess for us once you have stayed at the adults only, Valentin you have seen a different level. BUT we know we are not comparing apples to apples because the Valentin was $400 more per person. This resort is a great value for the money. In regards to the service it was very good too. But we have always received good service in Mexico so honestly I really didn't find it that much better than any of the resorts I have stayed at.
If you have booked this not to worry, you will have a great time. If you are a person that generally stays at high end resorts you need to keep in mind that this resort is much cheaper and adjust your expectations accordingly....you won't be getting plush robes and slippers or 24 hour room service.
I hope this helps and you have a great time!
And one more thing....there are several different animals roaming on the resort, please do as the sign says and DO NOT feed them. It is annoying to have an animal come up to your table when you are eating because the people beside you just fed him, it is unsanitary for us and unhealthy for them. The guy in the room beside us decided to feed a family of coatie (they kind of look like lemurs or cuter raccoons). We were on the second floor and the family climbed the palm tree next to his balcony where he was throwing food to them, and they were fighting over it, one of the babies fell from the tree and looked injured and the adults then scaled the roof and tried to get into his room! My peaceful reading came to a quick end as they worked the way over to my balcony. Just don't feed them! It's not good for them, you or the other guests!

Room Tip: Ask for a second story room if possible.
9 Thank ChristenCAD
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Had been recommended this hotel by a friend and it did not disappoint. It is not a 5 star but you can get 2 weeks here for what you would pay in a 5 star and you get your moneys worth.
The best thing about the place is the staff, everyone is so friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble.
The room was spotless, modern and air con that worked.Only negative was the horrible pillows on the bed, not comfortable.
The grounds were immaculate, gardeners working constantly, and fun to watch the wildlife that lived there.
Food was amazing, so much choice.Our favourite restaurant was the Italian, very romantic by the sea and the waiter here was excellent, thanks primitivo for making our holiday special.
Beach area was kept clean, everyday they were sweeping and raking. We enjoyed the bali beds by the sea but in order to get one you had to be up very early but worth it.
Of you want to do tours can highly recommend using a company called Edventure Tours. We booked one tour on line before we went , it was so good we ended up booking another with them. Find them on tripadvisor.
The spa was one of the best I have ever been to.We had as romantic massage package for my birthday and also before we left they were doing deals so both had a hot stones massage...wonderful.
Also do not bother paying Thomson holidays to use the VIP lounge at Cancun airport, worst lounge I have been in and a rip off.

10 Thank ScotlandTravel-lover
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed October 20, 2012

my wife and i stayed oct 4-10th.AWESOME TRIP!! i have not one negative remark to say about this resort. the staff is so so very nice. the bartenders in the lobby are fast and fun. our room was nice but didnt spend much time in there. i read negative remarks about beach.. on our stay it was really clear and great. the food was really good at each place. so much variety. entertainment everynight at 9pm. dj and dancing in the courtyard was great for us becuause we like to dance. each pool was great. one to relax and other to drink and be more lively. on our stay it was not overly busy or crowded. we always found a sun bed covered or not. never waited to eat. i read reviews before trip about smells and seaweed. we did not have any of that at all. we went parasailing and it was amazing! well worth it. 100$ for two. we went on a excursion called xplor. zip lining, swimming in caves, canoeing, and driving four wheelers. had so much fun. its an all day event. food included in package.well worth it as well. 150$ for two.
This was the absolute best vacation ive had. it was our first trip as a married couple. celebrated our 1 yr anniversary on the oct 8th. i talked to concierge and they helped me suprise my wife with dozen roses, wine and chocolate covered strawberries.

Room Tip: we stayed in building 26. perfect for us. close to pool and beach.
7 Thank robert y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#55 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#46 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#32 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!