“Once in a lifetime experience”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #44 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Best vacation ever! I really enjoyed my stay along with five good friends at the OMR.

Beaches-
Very beautiful especially during the mid morning when the sun is up. Water is very clear during this part of the day as well. If you glance at the water during the early evening it may not be too clear due to the sun setting. At least that's what I think!

And 8 min away or so there is a beautiful lagoon which is a marvel! Check it out!!

Resort-
Very clean! Rooms were nice but bed could have been much more comfortable. We stayed in room 318. Bathroom is nice but as far as the shower it does take a good 3-4 min for it to warm up. Fridge is always refilled which is nice! Drinks are always available around the pool and in lobby and you can carry your favorite drink around where you wanted. By the way you get these wrist bands- we received a white one. Well those who received a black wrist band were able to get premium drinks. We on the other hand recieved good drinks but not the BEST. It depends on what you order.Had a live band at courtyard with a DJ one night and a Cuban band during another evening. There was s pool party which was good during our last night on a Friday. There was a rep available through our travel agent who was there to make sure we took advantage of the different excursions available. We went snorkeling on one excursion and visited chichen itza on the other. Very awesome!!! Much thanks Freddie for your services. My friends and I, we all had a awesome 5day vacation. Not to mention that this was my first time to Mexico and Playa Del Carmen.
Fabulous!!!! Recommend this resort to anyone!!

• Stayed: October 2012
6  Thank KanDb_29
Write a ReviewReviews (6,903)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 6 day stay at ocean maya royale. We have travelled extensively staying at various hotels and chains. Previously in the Mayan we have stayed at the Bahia Coba, Valentin Imperial and the sister resort to the Ocean Maya the Ocean Coral and Turquesa. We got a great deal on this resort and don't regret our decision to stay here. The food good and surprisingly for me I liked the Mexican best. My only complaint is that pretty much all of the meat is fried. I have yet to see a grill. While it did taste good, the constant grease and fat added 6 pounds to my waste line....lol.....mind you the several mojitoes I had each day may have also contributed, lol. On that note, they are not shy with the alcohol, no watered drown drinks at this resort.
Truth be told, of the 4 resorts we stayed at I would rank this last. There wasn't anything that was particularly bad but I guess for us once you have stayed at the adults only, Valentin you have seen a different level. BUT we know we are not comparing apples to apples because the Valentin was $400 more per person. This resort is a great value for the money. In regards to the service it was very good too. But we have always received good service in Mexico so honestly I really didn't find it that much better than any of the resorts I have stayed at.
If you have booked this not to worry, you will have a great time. If you are a person that generally stays at high end resorts you need to keep in mind that this resort is much cheaper and adjust your expectations accordingly....you won't be getting plush robes and slippers or 24 hour room service.
I hope this helps and you have a great time!
And one more thing....there are several different animals roaming on the resort, please do as the sign says and DO NOT feed them. It is annoying to have an animal come up to your table when you are eating because the people beside you just fed him, it is unsanitary for us and unhealthy for them. The guy in the room beside us decided to feed a family of coatie (they kind of look like lemurs or cuter raccoons). We were on the second floor and the family climbed the palm tree next to his balcony where he was throwing food to them, and they were fighting over it, one of the babies fell from the tree and looked injured and the adults then scaled the roof and tried to get into his room! My peaceful reading came to a quick end as they worked the way over to my balcony. Just don't feed them! It's not good for them, you or the other guests!

Room Tip: Ask for a second story room if possible.
9  Thank ChristenCAD
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Had been recommended this hotel by a friend and it did not disappoint. It is not a 5 star but you can get 2 weeks here for what you would pay in a 5 star and you get your moneys worth.
The best thing about the place is the staff, everyone is so friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble.
The room was spotless, modern and air con that worked.Only negative was the horrible pillows on the bed, not comfortable.
The grounds were immaculate, gardeners working constantly, and fun to watch the wildlife that lived there.
Food was amazing, so much choice.Our favourite restaurant was the Italian, very romantic by the sea and the waiter here was excellent, thanks primitivo for making our holiday special.
Beach area was kept clean, everyday they were sweeping and raking. We enjoyed the bali beds by the sea but in order to get one you had to be up very early but worth it.
Of you want to do tours can highly recommend using a company called Edventure Tours. We booked one tour on line before we went , it was so good we ended up booking another with them. Find them on tripadvisor.
The spa was one of the best I have ever been to.We had as romantic massage package for my birthday and also before we left they were doing deals so both had a hot stones massage...wonderful.
Also do not bother paying Thomson holidays to use the VIP lounge at Cancun airport, worst lounge I have been in and a rip off.

10  Thank ScotlandTravel-lover
Reviewed October 20, 2012

my wife and i stayed oct 4-10th.AWESOME TRIP!! i have not one negative remark to say about this resort. the staff is so so very nice. the bartenders in the lobby are fast and fun. our room was nice but didnt spend much time in there. i read negative remarks about beach.. on our stay it was really clear and great. the food was really good at each place. so much variety. entertainment everynight at 9pm. dj and dancing in the courtyard was great for us becuause we like to dance. each pool was great. one to relax and other to drink and be more lively. on our stay it was not overly busy or crowded. we always found a sun bed covered or not. never waited to eat. i read reviews before trip about smells and seaweed. we did not have any of that at all. we went parasailing and it was amazing! well worth it. 100$ for two. we went on a excursion called xplor. zip lining, swimming in caves, canoeing, and driving four wheelers. had so much fun. its an all day event. food included in package.well worth it as well. 150$ for two.
This was the absolute best vacation ive had. it was our first trip as a married couple. celebrated our 1 yr anniversary on the oct 8th. i talked to concierge and they helped me suprise my wife with dozen roses, wine and chocolate covered strawberries.

Room Tip: we stayed in building 26. perfect for us. close to pool and beach.
7  Thank robert y
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Excellent hotel, the food was first class, cannot fault the service provided by the hard working team. Evening entertainment could be improved but the staff worked very hard, wildlife walking round the hotel made a difference and it was nice the surrounding area was left untouched to enable the wildlife to thrive. Plenty of places to chill out or join in the games if that's what you liked, Neil Thomson rep was very good and not pushy on excursions, the highlight of which was the dolphin swim...amazing..........if your going to this hotel you will be impressed!

Room Tip: Take small notes for tipping, try and get block 9 with sea view room 905 or 906
4  Thank SimonB2741
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

The hotel overall is good. Good beach, we have found lots of shells there snorkelling, becomes to murky when stormy. You can take a catamaran and kayaks for free at the hotel dive shop. But they limit the use to 30 min at a time(.
Good buffet at the main restaurant. Rooms are clean but providing you leave a regular tip.
What we did not like was that 1) there are no discos(they are promoting Coco Bongo at Playa del Carmen for $65/person) at night. 2) They have special exchange rate of 11 pesos/$1US when buying bottled wine from the restaurant while the next door shop has the rate of 13 pesos/$1US. And noone told us that before we ordered the wine! Small money but I hate to be fooled! 3) they charge $5 for lost hotel key. Again small money but no other hotels I ever stayed in does this. 4) reception staff was not very friendly at all with minimum welcome info and not even Adios at departure.
So we liked our vacation but hardly will return to Ocean Maya Royal again.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Alex30031975
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Well I booked this a year in advance and became v worried by some of the bad reviews well all I can say is that the people that moan about this hotel r obviously people that shall never be pleased, the hotel was amazing,the grounds superb pretty and spotless, the food choice I think was very good steaks as u want them fresh seafood ,plus much more the alacartes were fab the Italian our fav as setting was lovely n food delicious , pool area great beach great especially feeding the fish! Rooms were good the entertainment staff worked so hard but so does everyone at this resort, we went as a couple and goto say it will be hard to beat this resort and are considering our honeymoon here, thank you all for a fab holiday x

• Stayed: September 2012