“A wonderful stay”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #47 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Although I was traveling "solo," I was treated with courtesy and kindness. The staff always had a smile on their faces. VERY clean eating facilities, including the bar areas.

The grounds were very well maintained and there were plenty of flora and fauna to see and photograph. I cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: 8 rooms per complex...four on each floor. They are all good rooms but you pay more for those around...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael J
Write a ReviewReviews (6,823)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

we stayed at this resort for a four day weekend girls trip! It was pretty amazing! The drinks are pretty much the same as any all inclusive that you go to but the food was great! You have several different Restaraunts and different types of food to choose from including a Japanese hibachi place and a 5 star Italian place. The pool staff was wonderful. Amy from Belize is such a sweetheart and so very friendly! Uriel and Omar where also very nice they made me and my girlfriends smile every time they walked by! Lol!! I cannot forget to mention Rafael the bartender at the pool who kept the rafi specials coming! He was super nice and attentive. You have to stop by and see Roberto the tattoo guy, he's great at what he does and if you want a tattoo of something he doesn't have he will get it for you! Overall this is a great place with a few minor flaws. You can't leave anything sweet anywhere in your room or the ants will take over. When they have club nights the dj plays a pre made disc so you can't request any song. The walk to the lobby is crazy far if your closer to the pools which isn't horrible because of all the critters and things to look at, but in the heat it makes it pretty bad.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Felicia R
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am really happy to read that you have a wonderful time here with all your friends. Thank you so much for all the kind words that you have said about some special people from our staff, I will make sure they know you did have a great time.

We hope to se you all back soon!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Where do I begin, I feel a bit cheated. I think it was all the little stuff that added up to me really not liking this place! We stayed at the Sun Palace in Cancun last year and I think we were a bit spoiled. I think if we had come here first without ever experiencing all inclusive we might be more impressed but...heres the experience we had.

We stayed 7 days in September 2012. I personally think the drinks were watered down. It was our 3 year anniversary and we arrived to our room to find 2 queen beds (which we called in advance to confirm a king) We were switched rooms the next day. The new rooms shower was clogged so we got that taken care of. My wife wanted to see if she could get a robe and slippers because she had read it was included which it wasnt and we were told "No, thats only for privilege." We complained and finally got them. There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms other than privilege and the lobby wi-fi is spotty.

I'd like to make a clear distinction that service at the front desk, bars, and restraunts was great but for some reason...ROOM SERVICE IS NON-EXISTANT! You cant order breakfast room service if you arent privilege FYI. Each time we called to order pizza we were told the oven was broken, hah. A buffet full of baked goods and the oven is broken, im confused When my wife surprised me by having breakfast room service ordered the day of our anniversary (which was arranged with the privilege desk) it arrived 45 minutes late. We almost didnt think they were coming so we got ready to go to the hacienda and at the last second they showed up...so much for breakfast in bed.

When we ordered room service during the day at 2pm it never arrived for 45 minutes, we called and they said they would check and call back, they never called so we called again and were told the food was delivered to the room and left in the room because no one was there. They claimed they delivered to 1504 and we were in 1906. Then when they finally delivered our food it was wrong and missing the main course. This culminated in a 3 hour wait for food and us having to wait for the buffet to open, which was annoying! We complained to "management" about this specific incident and they took a "report"...no compensation came of it.

Ongoing complaints were, bugs in the room (weird little nat or ant like things in the sink area), the spa wasnt functioning for first three days we were there so massages were being done in a lended privilege room. Massage was good but it would have been nice to have a discount or something for the inconvenience.

I booked another massage and my wife got a facial and pedicure after the spa was up and running again. Great ambiance but a pretty straightforward massage.

On the plus side service in the restraunts was good and the food was REALLY good. Grounds and beach were nice, service on the beach was spotty even after tipping.

Coatis and Raccoons were all over the property which was really cool.

Excursions booked through the hotel liason were fun and everything we were told about.

I was slightly annoyed that the hotel allowed outside vendors to sell items in the outside pavilion area. Sales people made you quite uncomfortable calling you to their tables. We checked out one of the jewely tables and the guy wanted 80$ for a stone necklace and wooden bracelet that would normally cost about 20$...we offered 20 and he wouldnt budge. Your loss dude!

What else? Staff were very friendly around the property. The people we met really saved this trip as most people here seemed to be from the UK. Meeting people outside the U.S. was nice and we had a lot of fun late nights drinking champagne and hanging out in the lobby watching bats dart in and out of the building.

My recommendation is to spend a bit more money on a nicer hotel for a better all inclusive experience. This place could improve by really overhauling their rooms service department and giving everyone free wi-fi! (which I know their planning on implementing next year from what ive read on TA) In the meantime offer a better resort credit for excursions because I feel a bit cheated!

Room Tip: If you dont mind the annoyance of no breakfast room service a regular room is fine. Otherwise, go p...
3  Thank Kris S

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am really sorry if we did fail to cover your expectations about our Hotel, I do apologize for any inconvenience occured during your stay and I would like to say that in this ocassion our quality standards have not been reflected. Regarding the special requests you made to the room, such as bathrobes, or breakfast in bed, we are really sorry you felt let down by that, but as you have mention those are exclusive services that we provide to the Privilege guests, which have an upgraded package. We will using all your comments to improve our services for our future customers.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We just got back from our stay at Ocean Maya, we stayed at a Secrets Resort last year and although that was nicer, this resort was still very nice. Some of the cons are: There is quite some distance between the lobby/breakfast/lunch area and the pool/beach which gives for a nice scenic walk (especially because there are so many critters to see) but with the heat it can be a little long, also there is no WIFI in the bedrooms, only the lobby, so if you are planning on checking emails, facebook, etc you'll have to do it in the lobby and the couches can be all taken when you go in there. Another con was the shower head, its a handheld that can be attached and handsfree but there was barely any water pressure and it was hard to keep it attached the wall in the dock. Not a big deal but another con. The bed was also very hard and lumpy, but when you're used to the comforts of home, its hard to compare. There was less of a "night life" here as opposed to secrets as well. Here they had a show at 930 and then after that you were on your own at the lobby bar or if you're really into partying you can go with the entertainment staff to Coco Bongo (until 3:30am...too late for us). Those are the only negative comments I had. The food was great, especially Yookoosau (sp?). The food there was delicious. The entertainment staff was hilarious and very talented when it came to the pool activities and the shows at night. The rooms were nice, we got stuck in a back villa which made for a long walk pretty much anywhere we went. The beach was awesome as well as the pool. With only one pool bar it did get crowded, esp when people sat there and stayed at the bar all day not allowing us to come up and get a drink.
Overall a pleasant week for our 1 year anniversary!

5  Thank Heatherb91735805

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read that despite some minor details you did enjoy your holiday so much. Thank you for the positive comments, but also for the points that will need some atention; they will help us improving for our future customers.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here with my fiance for 14 nights 1st June 2012. It exceeded our expectations. We loved sitting by the lovely lively pool over looking the beach with a cocktail or champagne. The staff were so nice and thoughtful remembering your tipple of the day, always smiling and everyone said Hola!! The beach is beautiful ensure u walk along to the lagoon to. We really enjoyed the food and loved our fresh daily omelette for breakfast. The italian has beautiful views, go before the sun goes down. Our room was really modern, light and spacious and very clean. We enjoyed our evening strolls down to the hammocks with a drink chilling to Bob Marley on the iPhone :-). Very romantic break, my boyfriend proposed to me to top off a wonderful holiday. adults only is the way to go. If I could make one recommendation it would be to have a club on site. Would defo go back, it's paradise

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Missyking

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I really apreciate also all the great things that you have said about the Hotel. I am very happy for you and your future husband and it will be a pleasure for us to host your wedding here if you still do not have a place to get married in mind.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Had such an amazing time here, the hotel is beautiful and the staff are all welcoming and helpful. Special thanks to Azucena who was fantastic - such a helpful and caring lady who did not mind doing a thing for us, Luis at the pool bar who was so funny and made us laugh all day - not to mention his fab drinks! And to Alfredo in the dining room who was the best waiter and nothing was too much trouble. Cannot wait to come back here - best hotel I have ever stayed in!

Room Tip: Rooms nearer to the sea are the best!
3  Thank Vikki B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation at the Hotel. We apreciate all the great comments that you have made about some people from our staff, they work very hard everyday to give our guests the best holiday ever. I wil make sure they know how important they were for you.

We hope to see you back very soon!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our Honeymoon in September 2012 and loved this hotel. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. Rooms were cleaned everyday and clean towels were also left in each day. The choice of 4 restaurants was great but sometimes the food was luke warm rather than hot. The daytime entertainment was brilliant and the entertainment staff was outstanding. However, if your looking for good nightlife then this is not the place. The entertainment was over at 12 midnight and it cost £24/200 peso return in a taxi from the hotel to Play Del Carmen. also, take loads of insect repellent with you as we were eaten alive with mosquito and white fly bites, as were alot of ither residents of the hotel. A doctor is available on site on request but it is quite expensive. On the whole we had a positive experience andwould definitely recommend this hotel to other travellers.

1  Thank Joanna H