Ocean Maya Royale
$191
$610
$587
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$331
$217
Barcelo.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$385
$240
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $268/night.

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$413
$289
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$726
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$438
$349
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
$562
$472
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $543/night.

Free cancellation until 06/03
Book now, pay at stay
$973
$450
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $515/night.

7,202 results
All reviewsblue moonel charropool bardolce vitajapanese restaurantentertainment staffprivilege areaprivilege beachprivilege guestsfoam partyquiet poolbeach areathomson repprivilege packagecoco bongoour favouriteactivity pool
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The resort was lovely. Rooms were very clean. Grounds were well kept. It was very quiet in the evenings which suited me fine, but if you are looking for a party atmosphere this wouldn't be the place for you. Service was good and friendly, but the hotel needs to hire a lot more waiters. The food was beautifully presented, but tasted uniformally awful. This was my first time at an all inclusive resort so maybe food is always bad. I probably would not chose this resort again because of the food, which is a shame really, as we really enjoyed everything else about the property.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OpalArk
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I visited the Resort with a friend. As a travel agent, we send lots of people to Mexico. I don't think that I would have even a budget conscious person/couple to this resort.
They have a privilege program but it doesn't mean a whole lot. The building housing "Privilege Plus" individuals is the farthest away from either the pools or the beach. So, it's a hike to get from one end of the resort to the other.
We upgraded to a Jr. Suite then downgraded to a room with 2 beds. The room didn't look too different. If you like to soak in a bath after a nice massage forget it. Apparently, there are only 7 bathtubs in the entire resort.
We arrived on April 21st by Monday my friend was sick. She spent the next 2 days in bed.
Beds are not real comfortable and the pillows are worse. Not much money spent on comfort. The sheets are a real cheap and low thread count.
Food is average at best.
Beach is awful. There was so much crud and sea weed covering the beach that each day they sent out people to rake the stuff away in wheel barrows to clean it up. It only lasted a few hours before the stuff was back on the beach. I would not swim in the beach or suggest that to anyone.
On the plus side, the staff were friendly.
The communication between staff was non-existent. If you had a problem and brought it to their attention be prepared to wait until you've finally reached your breaking point. Then perhaps they will step in and do something.
The night life is also pretty much non-existent. By about 11:30 the place looks pretty much abandoned.
The 2 pools are clean. There is a swim up bar with 6 stools. But each day, the swim up bar closes at 6pm. There are not enough behind the bar staff to serve all the people that are waiting so be prepared to wait. The pool closes by 8pm.
I had the worst sand flea bites that I've ever experienced. No less than 30 bites on each leg from the knee to the ankles. I didn't spend much time on the beach but I did use the covered cabana since there isn't much shade around the pool or many umbrellas.
Even though the pool opens at 8am the chairs with the umbrellas seem to be spoken for before the pool even opens. So, be prepared to go early to claim your umbrella otherwise you won't get one.
I wouldn't recommend the resort nor would I ever go again.
This resort is closer to Cancun (40 minutes) than it is to Playa del Carmen. No big resorts around it so not much to do/see around the resort. They have 1 shuttle to take you to Playa Del Carmen which leaves at 10am and returns at 2pm. If you don't book the shuttle in-advance the chances of being able to get on it are remote at best.
It's definitely a "time-share" resort at best.

Room Tip: If you have a Jr. Suite or upgrade to their Privilege program for sure you'll be the furthest away from everything. Someone that paid for a regular room has a better chance of getting a pool front room. Otherwise you'll end up just looking at other low rise buildings. Pool is in front of the beach. They only have a limited number of rooms that have pool views. Even though we were supposed to be moved to one of the pool/ocean views rooms, we ended up in a room in the middle of the resort. So only half the distance to walk from one end of the resort to the other. So, much for upgrading or have their Privilege Plus accreditation. Privilege Plus doesn't mean much. What you get is supposed to be priority seating - special bracelets but dining staff don't even look for that and seat you anywhere. It also allows you to have some premium brands of alcohol but it's only about 6-8 different kinds of alcohol. For $80 per person per night - it's just not worth the money. Would not recommend this resort to anyone. Buyer beware is my advice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank Sue W
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 24th March to 21st April 2012. After i had already booked it, i started to see several very poor reviews and was very concerned, especially as i was going to be there for 28 days. I am very happy to say that my concerns were groundless. I contacted the hotel a couple of weeks before arriving, to clarify a few details and Maria Lopez (who responded) was extremely helpful and sorted out all my requirements.
From the time i arrived until the time i left, all the staff were absolutely wonderful and seemed to have a genuine enjoyment of their work - personally i find this has a huge impact on your stay. The grounds of the hotel are very pretty, and there are loads of lizards and coati and birds to see/photograph.
The beach area was adversely affected by a hurricane 4 years ago so if all you are looking for is a pristine beach this is not the place for you. That said the beach area that is available is well looked after and i was happy with it. You can't go into the sea from right outside the hotel but you only have to walk a little way up or down the beach to get to a nice bit you can swim in. The hotel pools are right next to the beach as well so if all you want to do is cool down you can use the pool. The pool/beach area has waitress service (not just the Privilege Area) so you don't even have to get off your sunbed to keep refreshed.
The Privilege Area on the beach is lovely, and everyone is extremely well looked after in this area by Azucena who is always very cheerful and friendly and remembers what you like to drink very quickly, and is also happy to provide suggestions if you don't know what you want.
There are (i think about 4 or 5) Balinese sunbeds outside the Privilege Area as well, although i'd imagine you'd have to be up early to grab one.
The guys in the Lobby Bar are amazing - they work so hard and are always so cheerful. It is amazing to watch them take multiple orders from multiple people when it is really busy - they always got it right. Most of the time i didn't have to even ask for a drink - after the first day they knew what i liked to drink and just kept refreshing my drinks as necessary. There were several staff who worked in the lobby bar, but in my experience the absolute stars were Miguel, Daniel (Danny), and Luis.
The food was ok, but (as with most all inclusives) got a bit samey after a while in the buffet restaurant - each night did have a different theme but it didn't really make a huge difference to what was on offer. The specialist restaurants were good though - especially the Mexican (Francisco and Manuel in the Mexican were real stars) and the Oriental - the Tepinyaki Tables are a real event rather than just dinner so take your camera. Also don't go too mad on the appetizers cos you get LOADS of food.
The Mexican restaurant doubles up as the daytime snack restaurant (where Alberto and Francisco look after you very well). There was a fair bit of rain in the last week that i was there and you should note that if the rain is heavy (and/or driven by the wind) then it does start to come through the thatched roof of the Mexican restaurant, so take your umberella (you'll find it in your wardrobe)!!
My room was always kept well provisioned and clean and tidy by Guadalupe G, and, contrary to other reviews i have read, i always had enough towels/face cloths and toiletries etc.
Sabrina at the Privilege Desk was always very helpful, professional and sorted out any queries i had, and made suggestions when asked. She also knew my room number without having to ask me - very impressive after only 1 day.
There were a few minor issues but these did not have a significant impact on my stay:
1) There were 2 occasions where there was no hot water in the rooms - this was sorted out within a few hours on both occasions.
2) I was in room 218 which is right at the outer boundary limit of the rooms, and the Wi-Fi connection was intermittent and a bit unreliable. Much of this may have been weather related as it was worse when it rained but it may just need a signal booster at that end of the building. That said you can always go into the lobby for a Wi-Fi connection.
3) The room service menu states that you can get room service between 07:00 - 23:00, however last orders are taken at 22:30 so this is a little misleading. That said you can get snacks at the bar throughout the night so you can't go hungry!
All in all i had a wonderful stay and didn't want to come home. I would definiately return to this hotel (tomorrow if i could!!) and have (and will continue to) recommended it to my friends.

Room Tip: This is a very nice sized resort - you can walk anywhere within the resort in a short period of time (absolute max if really dawdling would be 10 mins from lobby to sea front) so everywhere is within easy reach of everything else. If you want/need Wi-Fi in your room this is only available in the Privilege Building, otherwise you can get a connection in the lobby.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My wife and I just returned from the Ocean Maya Royale after a 5 day stay April 21-26. Since I had booked the whole package on line, I wasn't expecting to get waylaid by a sales pitch for a time share. I'm still trying to figure out how we got into it. Let me just say that they are very, very, good. I think that you need to have your guard up at all times. Upon checking in, we were told that we needed to schedule a time for our return shuttle to the airport when we were leaving. This turned out to be an opportunity to be sold tours through the Hotel. The return shuttle trip could have easily been scheduled right at the front desk. We did buy one excursion which was a combination trip to Tulum and a zipline, rappeling and snorkling trip in some of the cenotes. If you are into history, Tulum is okay but what was really fun was the zipline etc. Melina Barrios was our guide and I rated her a solid 10. She is full of energy, pleasant and very personable. On the trip back, our shuttle, full of adults, were sleeping like a bunch of 5 year olds after a daylong outing.
Back to our check in. When we arrived in our room, the first thing I saw was 2 double beds, I had requested a king size, when I called the front desk, I was told to shove the 2 beds together. The TV didn't work, the frig was warm, and 1 key card didn't work. Of course that was the one I was trying a dozen times before we tried the other one. Eventually things were taken care of but all during our stay, the TV would come on full volume and go back to channel 3. The remote control just couldn't seem to get the volume down fast enough.
The staff. I thought the staff was very busy and it was fun to watch them work. However to get individual attention, you almost needed to grab them as they went sailing by. We ended up getting the Privileged Bracelot. but that didn't seem to make an impression upon the staff. We observed no difference in service for spending the extra money. There just seems to be no connection between the Hotel Staff and the whole Privileged concept. When I pointed this out to the salesman that sold us the time share, he pointed out that Ocean Maya Resort is the newest one in the H10 program. I guess we'll see in the future if the service is different at other resorts because I do hope to use the program again.
I have a lot of mixed feelings about our stay at the Ocean Maya. By the way I did talk to the lady who got bitten by the rat, so I can vouch for her story. That's pretty scary, but we didn't encounter anything like that. In fact, I would say that we were impressed with the groundskeeping, the freshly and brightly painted buildings, the pools, the bars, the lobby and the outdoor lounge. The only complaint about the outdoor lounge around the pool was that we could not find comfortable chairs, they were too low and too deep.
I would rate our trip a 3, because I think the time share added an extra factor that distorted our impression and expectations. I don't think that we would return to this resort, but that is partly because we would want to try new places.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We just returned home from the Ocean Maya Royale -- we were there April 17-24, 2012. If you are looking for an amazing beach, it was not there. However, for the first time, I did not want to be at the beach, because it was so much fun at the pool, etc.

The entertainment staff: Alex, Amanda, Amy Jean, Jess, Laura, Omar, Suzanne and Uriel were wonderful. I have never been to a better resort for the activities and the fun around them. We went to the shows every night and enjoyed their shows as well.

The food was wonderful -- the best food we have had a resort to-date.

Like other places that we have been to, the resort was beautiful and the villas that we stayed in were very nice.

Like I said earlier, absolutely no complaints, unless you have to have a perfect beach!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends