“Great spot for a quiet couples get away” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #48 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Great spot for a quiet couples get away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the ocean Maya Royale from January 3rd 2012 until January 10th 2012. We were greated warmly at reception with a welcome drink and friendly smiles. Check in was painless. We were given directions to our room as well as a map of the resort. We found our room effortlessly and it was perfect. We were 20 steps from the pool and pool bar and 50 steps to the beach. Couldn't have asked for a better location. The room was clean and comfortable. The shower leaked like I had anticipated after reading many reviews. But it didn't matter to us being that we didn't have to feel the long term effects of this. The restaurants were perfect. you did not have to book them as long as you got there fairly early there were no line ups. The buffet was also excellent especially the omlettes in the morning and the freshly cooked seafood at supper. Lunch we usually went to charos the mexican restaurant by the pool.
It was a small quiet resort that I would recommend to any adults. it was nice to leave our young kids at home and have a great holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1104 it was perfect
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Robin V
Jose Alejandro G, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. Many thanks for the complements to the Hotel. It makes us really happy that you and husband had a great time during your holidays.

We hope to see you soon!!

subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,526)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Melville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

Great resort. We went for two weeks. This resort was our 2nd week. The staff was exellent
and the service was also exellent. They treat you like you are their family. We are going next year for 14 days again. We are planning to stay two different resorts and this one will be one of them for sure. It was our 25th anniversity. They gave us a cake and the next day at breakfast Alfredo gave us a drink and put hats on our heads and the sax player played the theme song from Titanic. The staff wished us a happy anniversary eveywere you went. If you want a quiet and restful holiday, go there.

5 Thank Bob S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am really happy to read that we made your aniversary such a wonderfull time. Thank you for the good comments made about the staff, specially Alfredo.

We hope to see you for your next aniversary!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Hola, we stayed at the hotel last month and the beach, food & rooms were excellent!
I was really disappointed with the staff at the water sports center and that is why this complaint is directly to them, don´t really know if they are part of the hotel but I was surely amazed by the lack of education of one person attending guests there.
I was there with my husband and 2 young daughters and we wanted to snorkel, so we bought a tour at the water sports center. A guy called Ernesto attended us when we arrived, he gave us our equipment while we waited for the rest of the tour. During that time I overheard him saying obscene things about my daughters. I know spanish because I work with people who speak this language at home, I never really learned to speak but I can understand everything when someone is talking and what I heard him say was really unpleasant. At this point I did not want to say anything because my husband would have gone crazy but such a person should not be in charge of a business. We did the tour on our last day at the hotel and its incredible how it affected my impression of the service. We wanted to go back next summer but this really left a bad taste of mouth...I hope you take this into account so that other guests can enjoy the fun activities they offer!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank ssally24
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. First of all I would like to say that we are very happy that you and your family had a wonderfull time with us. On the other hand I would really like to apologizy for this unfortunate inconvenience occurred with the diving staff. I would like to inform you that we have taken the necesary measurements so this type of things will not happen again.

I really hope that you and your family decide to give us a second chance in the near future.

Grantham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Ocean Maya is a great place to go for an Adults only. Its a long way of the main road so quite private except access from the beach.
Most of the staff are very friendly, but found that when you are coming to the end of your 2 week stay they are not so interested in you the same as when new people arrive.
Mostly staff always say good morning or hello and have a smile.
Food - There is always something for everyone, even if on days there is something you don't like. Food is not piled high so consequently staff are always coming out of the kitchens to refill and therefore mostly hot. Tables are cleared as soon as you finish eating so not left lying around. You get shown to you table which is a nice touch.
Rooms - Nice, clean and compfy. With dressing gowns and slippers a nice touch. Plently of clean towles every day. In a nice and quiet position and no noisy neighbours.
Entertainment - The staff work extremly hard during the day entertaining by the pool etc then go and practice for the evening entertainment, which was always different each night (but not on a 2 week holiday as they repeat the first week again). They were very good,
Overall, from the cleaning lady in the public loos to the beach boys who worked tirelessly everyday on the beach. To the garden gangs and the waiters/waitresses, everyone worked very hard to keep us happy.

Room Tip: We were in block 32 so well away from any noise of the entertainment.
5 Thank BrownOwl01
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. Thank you also for all the complements to the Hotel but specially the staff, who works very hard everyday to make the best of your holidays.

We hope to see you back soon!

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

We just returned from our all-inclusive Mexico vacation at the Ocean Maya Royale. This was our 5th time to Mexico and while we have stayed in much nicer resorts, overall the OMR was pretty good. It's a small resort, and with that are pros and cons. The upside is easy access to everything and you can even get to know the staff. It has an intimiate feel to it, but still offers everything you would expect. The pools are great, it's clean, there's a spa and fitness room, security, and a la carte retaurants.
Because of its smaller size however, there are only 3 a la carte restaurants - Japanese, Italian and Mexican. The main buffet dining room offers a different theme each evening for dinner, but they all seemed to blend into the same thing night after night. Food is ok. If you like seafood, there was fresh shrimp being cooked up on the grill nightly and they were fantastic. The Japanese restaurant was quite good - we went twice.
We upgraded our room upon check in to what they call "priviliege". I wouldn't recommend the upgrade...I thought it was a waste of money and not worth it. The "privilege" building is located as far away as possible from the beach area, so if you're looking for a room close to the water, you won't find one in this building. It's located next to the main lobby buidling.
The OMR has a very, very tiny beach. Most people hung around the pool or in a sandy area near the water. The beach is basically non-existent. It's not recommended for swimming and it would be impossible to snorkel. No one was in the water - it's just not conducive to any kind of water activity. We ended up going to another beach for our water activity.
Weather, as always, was fantastic in Mexico. We hung out around the pool and service was excellent.
Overall the OMR is a resort that offers a quiet, relaxing and low-key vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank acadia59
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are glad that overall you had a good vacation. We would like to apologizy if we did not cover your expectations in some points, but we will ke working on them to improve our standards of service.

We hope you come back!

Little Falls, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

My husband, myself and two other couples stayed at OMR the first week in March. We were very pleased with our entire stay. We did not upgrade to priviledge and were happy with our choice. We had beautiful ocean front rooms and our beds were great! One of the three rooms was musty smelling but there was not alot to do other than switch rooms and who wants to pack up after your all unpacked!! The beach was the only downside to the resort and we had been warned prior to our arrival. The buffet was great as well as all three restaurants. The animation team works hard and were fantastic! Javaier is by far the best "pool" bartender there!! He is ALWAYS willing to wait on you with the biggest smile! I was amazed how many people did not tip him and were so demanding! I'm guessing they are the same people that complain about this resort. The lobby bar is great with fantastic service also. Thanks OMR for a great week!

4 Thank Jodi64
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. It is great to read that you enjoyed our resort so much. A special thank from Javier. it is a pleasure for him to serve you and to make your stay very pleasant with his smile.

We hope to see you soon!

Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

My husband and I just arrived home after a 10 day stay at OMR from March 3-13th and would turn around and go right back if we could! What a wonderful vacation we had! It was fantastic from the moment we arrived at the resort, until the moment we sadly left. I cannot say enough good things about the resort and it's staff. The resort is gorgeous! It is not a huge spread out resort like some that you have to walk miles to get to things. It, instead, is more intimate with fewer guests and reminded me of a small gated neighborhood, where, when you walked around; you recognized your neighbors as you passed them by. It consists of several smaller two story buildings that hold 8 units each with beautifully kept grounds and lots of lovely landscaping and walkways....not to mention the wildlife....cute coati and racoons, lounging iguanas, and mischievous black birds that were always fun to watch. The restaurants were all great. My favorite were the Italian and the Mexican, but the tempura at the Japanese restaurant was mouthwatering, too, and the chef's show was very entertaining, so make sure to reserve a seat at the grill area. There was always a great selection at the buffet, too. Make sure to have them make you some garlic butter shrimp....wonderful!! Our room was great . I like a softer bed and they provided us with a foam mattress pad right away when we inquired about one. We always had lots of hot water for showers. Our room was always immaculately clean and the frig well stocked. The swimming pools are terrific. One has a deep section that is 8 1/2 feet deep and also neat shallow ledges to lay out and tan on. The other has a swim up/walk up bar and was used as the activity area for water-excercise classes, volleyball, etc . The water in both was crystal clear, and usually a perfect temperature to swim in. There were always lots of lounging chairs available either around the pools or on the sandy area with lots of shady areas available when wanted. The best thing about the resort, though, is it's staff!!! Everyone there, and I mean every staff person that I came in contact with....was wonderfully friendly and helpful and always had smiles on their faces. Many started addressing us by name after only a day or so and knew or preferences for drinks or even how we liked our coffee or eggs cooked.....unbelievable! I have a hard time remembering some acquaintances names that I've known for years! Everyone made us feel so very welcome! I actually kidded the general manager that they must be putting something in the water to have such a happy staff! You could never find a nicer, happier group of people to be around....anywhere! They definately kept the smiles on our faces, too!

I had a full massage and facial at the Spa with Hector.....great experience.....well worth the money......my muscles are still relaxed!

The only possible negative I could mention about the resort.....would be the actual swimming beach areas. The sandy beach lounging area is very nice, but the beach adjoining the water isn't the best for swimming due to seaweed and other natural sediments carried in by the surf.....which the resort can do nothing about....other than keep cleaning it up and removing it.....which they do a great job of. It was the same with any of the resorts along that general area of ocean front. The beach was nice to walk on for excercise, though, and there is a lagoon about a 10 minutes walk that has a nifty river that you can get into and float out to a shallow sandy area with clear, clean water where it meets the ocean. We did that several times and had a great time. It fulfilled our wanting to get into the ocean. We did take the free shuttle for a trip into Playa del Carmen and swam at a beach there one day, but we thoroughly enjoyed the pools at OMR the rest of the time. If having a perfectly pristine beach to swim in is a huge priority.....you may want to consider a resort in a different area.....but this one has it all otherwise and I totally recommend it!!

My husband and I were celebrating our 46th anniversary while at the resort, so I booked us into one of the Romance suites....a little larger two room suite with a jacuzzi tub, which included the priveleged status for preferential reservations in the restaurants, top shelf liquor, and a reserved area on the beach area with padded tanning beds, etc......but we became friends with many other guests that weren't "privileged", and they were just as happy campers as we were. They had gotten into all of the restaurants that they had wanted to and were happy with their drinks, service, etc. and had always found a tanning lounge in the beach/pool area without having to get up at 6 AM to get one, like at so many other resorts. Would I do the "privileged" again.....sure. I enjoy a glass of Grand Marnier in the evening and like Bacardi or Havana Club 7 Rum in my drinks. Plus, at my age, I can use all the extra padding I can get on my chaise lounge! :) But, do I feel you need to be "privileged" to have a wonderful time at OMR....no.

As I said before.....I HIGHLY recommend OMR. I want to personally thank their ENTIRE staff for making our vacation and 46th anniversary such a wonderful experience. A special extra thankyou to Claudia, Maria, and Suzanne who really went the extra mile to make sure we felt we were a special part of your OMR "family".

Room Tip: I think they all are.
13 Thank MinnesotaGrandma
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am so happy to read that you and your husband had such a great time with us. We really apreciate this wonderfull and complete review that you have writen about the Hotel, you will help so many future guests to choose us as their holiday destination.

I hope to see you very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,694 reviews
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,162 reviews

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!