“GREAT INTERNATIONAL FLAIR!!”

Ranked #48 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Miramar Beach, Florida
“GREAT INTERNATIONAL FLAIR!!”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We stayed at OMR Feb 23-Mar 1 and just loved meeting people from Norway , England, France, Spain, Venezuala, Chile, Germany and of course the usual All-Inclusive Canadians and Yanks. This might have been my 16th All-Inclusive resort so if I say "standard", you'll pretty much find it anywhere. The long drive up to the lobby is your first sign of the immaculate grounds, very well cared for and expansive, a true joy on every walk from place to place. She loves "critters" and there are lots of Iguanas and the friendly unique Coatis. We did not do the "privlege" but got the wine, chocolate covered strawberries in the room AND the "Romantic" dinner. From what I saw the "privelege" isn't worth it. The staff is SOOOO friendly everywhere. Standard cocktail at easy checkin (easy checkout too). Stanard wait for room (got in @ noon), "time share" dude offered pearl necklace to have breakfast and 2 hour talk (not really time share, a complicated plan where you can travel anywhere), said standard "NO!", at bar he inticed with $100 USD, "NO!", then $150 plus necklace..."OK, but I'm not buying anything", we were to eat breakfast anyway, were going to checkout the lay of the land anyway and after the 45 min spiel I wanted my money and the beach. Got it in a couple of days, don't do it, I never did before or again...easy money though.
ROOM-pretty standard, couch,hardish bed but a nice LARGE balcony.Yes shower leaks, ask for extra towel.Thought it was smoking room, even called to be sure, but NO indoor smoking, balcony is just fine though.
FOOD- Buffet is standard with cooking stations. Restaurants are first rate. Can make reservations 1 to 2 days in advance up until 2pm, easy, no lines. Mexican and Italian great food and too much of it. Japanese, do the "show table", fun! food OK. I wish they enforced the dress code in the Buffet (long pants is not too much to ask).
POOL/BEACH- sea wall built after hurricane,lots of soft white sand but little swimming area. Two standard pools(clean) one quiet one and one with standard "games" and swim up bar. Texas Holdem' @ 3pm (love cards but maybe not @ beach).Easy stairs into pools for us older folks.Take the 20min walk left to the "lagoon".
SHUTTLE-free to Playa del Carmen, need to reserve day before (doesn't run on Sun). Taxi is $19 each way, mile walk to front gate gets you a $3 bus or a $6 taxi (still $19 coming back).
INTERNET-lobby only.
ENTERTAINMENT-not the standard silly stuff, Aztec show etc.
HOUSEKEEPING- this is the bad part, never the same number of towels, some days coffee, swept floors but not mopped, rinsed glassware, these guys don't speak anything but Spanish so another call to front desk.
BARS- pool bar closes @ 6. long walk to lobby bar after your 2 beer room allotment is gone (if you drink one, they bring you one, $ 3 to have them bring more) Ask @ pool bar for additional cans.
SUMMARY-great place

Room Tip: We asked for second floor, abit more private, better veiw and critter-free
7 Thank Swaneey
Jose Alejandro G, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read that after visiting o many all inclusive resorts, we have match you expectations in most of the fields. Thank you for the good comments but also for the points that will need atention to improve our quality service for our future customers.

We hope you come back soon!

subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,582)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I traveled with my husband and another couple Feb. 18-26th 2012.
Overall, it was great. There are a few things that could have been better – and I explain below.
Upon arrival, we checked in at the Privilege desk. We had wooden/fabric bracelets, which were way nicer than the plastic ones. Someone brought us a drink right away while we checked in. Since we had upgraded to privilege, expectations were high.
Our bags were brought to our room and we opened the door to a very nice room with wine and chocolate covered strawberries – with a personalized note welcoming us to the property.
At this point, I was pretty happy with the upgrade to privilege.
The Room: Location, it was just off the main lobby/buffet. Nice location. It was a little walk to the beach, but not a big deal. The beds have a mattress pad on them which gives them a little more padding. Décor is nice, balcony is nice. Nothing outstanding but certainly nothing to complain about. The pictures posted by the hotel are exactly what the rooms look like. The mini fridge was stocked. Air conditioning worked nicely. There was a musty smell – but nothing that I couldn’t live with.
Housekeeping was good, room was nicely cleaned. I didn’t ever get more washcloths after the first day, I just used hand towels.
We had mints on our pillows a few nights when we returned to our room, slippers bedside. That was a nice touch. No flower or towel animals. I kind of liked that from our previous resort stay.
The Restaurants:
Buffet: Overall good food. The best time to eat here is breakfast where you can get a nice omelet made fresh. There is a mix-your-own Mimosa and bloody Mary station.
Japanese: We made a reservation for the grill which was fun. The food was very good. The show was ok – I have seen more excited chef’s. I think he had a long day already and was getting tired. We ate there a second time because the food was so good. This time not at the show table. It was still very good food, each course!
Mexican: It was good. Tortillas are good. Guacamole and salsa are great. We made an evening reservation and all the courses were good. We were brought a banana margarita upon our arrival. It was yummy! This is also a good place to eat during the day because it is right by the pool. Decent food during the day – AWESOME mint chocolate ice cream.
Itialian: Food was good. I liked what I ordered. Nothing really blew me away about this place. Staff was pleasant.
Mikes Coffee: Good coffee, weird that they don’t open until 4pm. The lobby bar has an espresso machine and can make most of the specialty coffees if you need a morning pick-me-up. Also, you can order coffee from room service.
After 11 PM, in the lobby bar, you can order food. I ordered a chicken fajita, it was unbelievable. Probably one of the best things I ate at this resort! My husband got a club sandwich and he said that was good. Our friends had a pizza (which was very cheesy and huge!) and beef fajita – which was really tender and good.
As part of the privilege package, we got a romantic beach dinner. Shrimp came standard, had to pay more for steak. The steak was not good. Tough and full of gristle. The waiter had too many people to wait on and had to go around the pool for each trip. They need to build a bridge for that guy and maybe have more than one staff on those tables! The food was good, nothing spectacular… except the 4 cheese soup. I cannot get over how good that soup was. I need to find the recipe, so anyone from the hotel who can get me a recipe, I would be overjoyed! (Maria Lopez, can you pull some strings?)
The Entertainment:
Pretty standard resort entertainers. Good looking dancers trying to get everyone involved. We played bingo one night; our friend won a small bobble head turtle.  We saw a nice performance of some traditional Mexico dancers. That was fun. There are venders most nights around the fountains selling things. They don’t harass you nearly as much as the vendors on 5th Ave in Playa.
The pool/beach: Pool drink service was spotty. Sometimes there was someone available. The bars closest to the pool were sometimes wonderful (Jairo rocks) and sometimes you can stand there for 20 minutes to get a beer. The pools themselves (2 of them) were very nice and seemed clean. Remember this is an adult’s only resort, so there is some topless exposure. The privilege beach section was good for my husband and I as far as service. The waitress there was very attentive. I really liked the beds, being able to put the curtain down and cool off or stay out of the sun for a bit was nice. Our friends said that they waited a long time for her to come by and were more satisfied by the pool.
Privilege: Overall, not worth the cost. I liked the chocolate strawberries, I liked the bracelet, the romantic dinner was nice and being able to make reservations was nice but….. eh… Plus, we were told tales of a VIP area that had TV’s and air conditioning. We found what we thought was this area, but the doors were always locked. I asked around (H10 guy in lobby, privilege desk, front desk) and no one was really sure when it opened. We were told “afternoon”.
Tour desk: The guy at the desk owes my friend and I each 2$. He kept telling us he would bring it “tomorrow” which never came because he never had the money. How hard is it to have 4$ in US money? We booked our Xel-ha excursion through him. It worked out fine, we however paid 2$ each couple more than we needed to. I think he took that as a little tip. Anyway, the free shuttle to Playa is a nice service – but it is super inconvenient to book. You have to be at the tour desk at 8am the day before you want to go and the shuttle fills up within an hour. Might be an easier option to just take a cab into town.
Upon check out, our friends had a charge for a steak on their room tab. My husband and I paid for the steaks in cash for all three of us (one was happy with shrimp). There was no charge for our 2 steaks on our bill, but still the charge for our friends. I assume the person who took the cash just entered it for our room and should be an easy fix, but the worker was not available when our friends checked out and it might still be something we need to work out. We were getting the stink eye from the privilege staff member as we waited for our shuttle.
Overall, this is a beautiful resort with clean well-manicured grounds. The food is good enough, with a couple stand out dishes. The staff was pleasant and for the most part very helpful. I would stay here again – but not upgrade to privilege.

Room Tip: 2nd floor will offer a bit more privacy and less chance of critters joining the party.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank MindilovesMexico
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much fo rposting a review on Tripadvisor. I am really happy that overall you had a great time. As you requested, please find below the recipe. As I am traslating it myself, I hope you find it helpful.
Put 200 grs of butter on a fryingpan and once is melted add 200 grs of wheat flour and remove it together. then add very slowly 1 ltr of milk and keep removing. After that you should have a bechamel. Add to the bechamel 100 grs of cream cheese or lincont cream, 50 grs of Gouda cheese, 50 grs of Mozzarella cheese, 20 grs of Roqueford cheese, 20 grs of Parmesan grated cheese and 100 ml of chicken soup. To get the perfect texture you can put all together through the mixer and add salt and pepper to taste.

Please email me to let me know how did it taste.

Best regards,

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We were guests at the Ocean Maya Royale Feb 21-28th. Luckily had a perfect week..not one drop of rain! We booked the Privilege Upgrade and were concerned about this choice after reading several reviews prior to our stay. Yes, the suites are in a building at the far end of the resort, but they are close to the main buffet, lobby etc. Our suite was on the second floor (we requested not to be on the ground floor). It only takes 4 minutes to walk to the main pool and beach area . When you upgrade to the Privilege you can relax on a lovely Bali Bed in a seperate area with a view of the ocean. The bonus being these beds are directly on the beach but on a planked floor, great if you don't like the sand.

We can't say enough about the service, especially Ivonne in the Privilge Area. She knew our names immediatley and every day delivered our drinks with a warm smile.

Only swam in the large quiet pool. Fabulous! Enjoyed the gradual walk in and the shelves you could sit or lie on.

It was nice having our breakfast in the Privilege Area in the buffet restaurant, nice, quiet and air conditioned. We had most of our lunches at the buffet by the pool and all our meals at the various restaurants. Enjoyed them all but the Italian was our favourite. The food and service there matched what you receive on a Cruise Ship! Take note it is closed on Monday night. Also enjoyed the luxury at this resort that you can eat at any of the restaurants as many times as you choose.

I will not labour on about issues others have said on Trip Advisor..it gets repetative. But be confident the cleanliness, service and friendliness are excellent!

Going in we knew the beach was not the best...but have now realized most beach areas along the Mayan Riviera are in poor shape since recent hurricanes.

If you upgrade to the Privilege, visit the exclusive club for sure. It is attached to the Italian Restaurant, and offers free flowing Champagne, Crowne Royal, and other top drawer Scotches etc. For the next several months, Cassandre is there to greet you and help you in any way she can to make your vacation perfect. Computers are at your disposal free of charge.

If you have to have your coffee fix as soon as you jump out of bed, they offer a coffee maker in the room. Our only major dissappointment. They are single cup coffee makers and seem to spill all over the place, and the maid only leaves you one or two coffee pouches (and you need two to make one cup). Luckily we took thermos mugs and went to the lobby where coffee is available. Others have said the resort coffee was awful..not true and we drink it black!

Hats off to Maria Lopez, we emailed her several times prior to our vacation and she was prompt in replying with our questions.

In conclusion, we feel this resort is great and would return, and invite any Trip Advisor Members to email us with any questions or concerns.

9 Thank OlaOntario
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I am really happy to read that you enjoyed averything at the Hotel. The food, the services and the staff. Thank you for writing about Cassandra, she is fron France and is practicing with us. I will let her know that she is doing a great job. About myself, thank you so much for the complements. It is always a pleasure for me to help people before they arrive to the resort and is even better geting to know them while they are here.

I hope to see you very soon!!

Best regards,

Harper Woods, Michigan, United States
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My husband and I were at the OMR from Feb 8 to 18. We had a great experience from check-in to check-out. Our check-in was flawless and we were on our way to fun and relaxation.
**I will start with what made our vacation the most fun...THE ENTERTAINMENT GROUP. From "crazy games" pool volleyball, dance lessons, texas hold em, and the Amazing Shows that this great group of hard working young men and women put on it, was a trip to remember. Thank You to our Favorite Fernie, also Suzanne, Amy Jean, Sergio, and Ricardo.
ROOMS are very clean and spacious. Housekeeping did an amazing job and our fridge was always restocked. It was very warm/humid when we were there. The AC worked great.
FOOD was great. There is always something to choose from at the buffet and you will get the friendliest greeting at the omelette station from Aurora. The A La Cartes are great. We especially liked the Japanese (at the grill) and the Mexican (best chicken fajitas). The Italian was OK but the food lacked flavor. By far, out favorite waiter at the buffet and the Mexican Rest was Vincente. He greeted us every day (remembering our names) and was always smiling and singing.
GROUNDS were beautiful. There was always someone working/grooming on the grounds and it shows. I was in awe of the landscaping and beautiful flowers.
BARS..excellent service. Always a smile and a great drink. Our favorite bartender was Javier and he was always up to making us a "Javier Special" of the day/night. Even at the pool bar at very busy times, they had your drink for you right away.
BEACH was nice to walk along but water not so nice, but take a 15 min walk to the left of the property and you will reach a beautiful lagoon with crystal clear water to swim in. Take your camera...its beautiful.
POOL is where it was at for us. We never swam in the quiet pool but it is huge and very nice. We enjoyed the activities, music and company of all of our new friends that we made from all over the world at the pool with the swim up bar.
We loved the fact that the property was adults only. We would definitely return to OMR if travel brings us back to this area.

Room Tip: We were in Villa 15 and loved the location. Not too far from the lobby and a few minute walk to the...
7 Thank Mary Lou N
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. I am really happy to read such a complete review about the Hotel but also about the staff. It is great to read that the entertaiment staff together with some of our boys from bars and restuarants made your holiday a wonderful time. I will let then know about your mention.

We hope you come back very soon!

Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2012

was an excellent vacation the food was to die for the late night fajitas alone made the trip i would recommend taking the tour to the coco bongo with the staff but wander on your own as soon as you get in dont go where they try to put you. the only blackmark on my trip and why i did not rate excellent was a number of people in our party had moneyy missing from there room safe and luggage included

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank colin1234_12
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are really please that you and you friends had a great time at the Hotel. We are really concer about what you have mentioned about the money stolen. If you would like to contact me directly, please email me on the address below. I must say that the Hotel provides safety deposit box in every room free of charge.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This was our first trip to the Mayan. We were there from Jan 20 - Feb 3 2012. We have stayed at Ocean Properties before and so thought this would be a good choice.

FIrst off the front desk staff and all the staff working in the restaurants and the grounds are vey friendly and helpful.

The buffets and a la cartes - The Breakfast buffet was amazing. THe omelettes and eggs were great. I am not sure her name but she was always smiling and greeted each guest with a smile and a greeting. She was the reason breakfast was good. The lunch buffet at the poolside was great as well. Burgers made fresh while you waited and the food was hot. The chili on the nachos and fries was great. The evening buffet was ok. Food was not always hot ..usually warm if that. The selection was ok..lots of seafood (for those who like it) The Italian A la carte was my least favorite of them all. I did not find much selection or taste to the meal. The best part was the spinach/cheese soup. The Mexican was good. Again not alot of selection but food was good. The servers there were awesome as well. They remembered you from day to day and even knew what you drink.The Japanese was by far the best there. The servers were awesome and the show is great too. Had some of us sitting watching get up and try there tricks. Was a lot of fun.Highly recommend going to this restaurant while there. The one dissappointment i did have with the 3 a la cartes was the dress code.There really wasnt one and so you had people in shorts and tank tops. To me I dont think this should be allowed.
The ground - Immaculate and amazing. The grounds people take very good care of the grounds and it really showed.
The rooms - the rooms are nice. had what was supposed to be two double but was more like a super singles. I was looking forward to a king bed but none were available. We had our kids with us (18 and 20) and they shared a room which they accomadated us and had our rooms facing each other. The room was kept clean. The shower does leak and the door to the bathrrom is a 3/4 frosted glass door so not sound proof.
The fridge was stocked somewhat and had to ask for coffee a couple times and there was a musty smell in the room. As long as the ac was on you couldnt smell it as bad.
The beach - well there was a beach but it was covered in seaweed and the staff worked endlessly on removing it but it was a never ending battle. The ocean was rocky and not nice to swim in. IF you walked down the beach to the left for about 10 minutes there was a beautifl spot for swimming at Tres Rios. If you walked the other way as well you came to nicer beaches and water that you could swim in.
THe Pool - was great place to be. The swim up bar was busy most of the time and you got better service from the walk up bar.
The entertainment staff - Suzanne, Fernie, Amy Jean, Amanda.Omar, Jes and (the sexiest man in the Mayan) Ricardo were the hardest working people there. From keeping us all busy during the day with activities and games. beach volley ball water volleyball,texas holdem and aquasize to the endless hours they put in rehersing for the nite shows and then the evening entertainment with Bingo and Karoake. I know that these 7 peopls were the best thing about this vacation. They really put themselves out there for all the guests. And after all the fun is done in the resort its off to Coco Bongo which we did one nite with Fernie..she is a great hostess outside the resort as well. They truly made this trip for me.
I am not sure i would go back for the food or beach but aside from that its a great place to relax.

Tammy S
Saskatoon Canada

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Tammy S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you and your family had a good time at the resort. Thank you also for bring up some things that need atention, we will be working on them to improve our service. Regarding the dresing code; considering that we are at the Caribean and the weather is quite hot most of the year, we decided not to have a formal dresing code, so we keep it as casual for all the a la carte restaurants.

We hope you come back as the beach is only seasonable and it will get better.

Elora, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We were very pleased with the Ocen Maya from the moment we checked in until the end of our vacation. The rooms were very clean and spacious, we were on the second floor and had a view of the pool. The ala carte restaurants were great, our favourite was the Italian, but the Japanese was also very good. The staff that work at the resort provide excellent service, in the buffet restaurant, want to make a special mention to Vincente, who is always smiling and singing and takes the time to greet you. Aurora at the Omelette station is also very friendly with a "good-morning, how are you greeting" each day. Also a special mention to the entertainment staff who go out of their way to get you involved in various activities, they also put on the evening entertainment, which was very well done. The pool areas are very well designed with one for relaxing and one for activities if you want. We did not use the beach area. We will definitely return to this resort, are already planning for our next trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bungalo 7 close to main lobby and pool/beach area
2 Thank Mary M
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased that you had such a wonderful time with us. Thank you for all the complements to the food but specially to Vicente and Aurora, two of our big stars at the Hotel. I will make sure they know how special they were for you.

Should you decide to come back soon, please do not hesitate to email me on the address below.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!