We stayed at OMR Feb 23-Mar 1 and just loved meeting people from Norway , England, France, Spain, Venezuala, Chile, Germany and of course the usual All-Inclusive Canadians and Yanks. This might have been my 16th All-Inclusive resort so if I say "standard", you'll pretty much find it anywhere. The long drive up to the lobby is your first sign of the immaculate grounds, very well cared for and expansive, a true joy on every walk from place to place. She loves "critters" and there are lots of Iguanas and the friendly unique Coatis. We did not do the "privlege" but got the wine, chocolate covered strawberries in the room AND the "Romantic" dinner. From what I saw the "privelege" isn't worth it. The staff is SOOOO friendly everywhere. Standard cocktail at easy checkin (easy checkout too). Stanard wait for room (got in @ noon), "time share" dude offered pearl necklace to have breakfast and 2 hour talk (not really time share, a complicated plan where you can travel anywhere), said standard "NO!", at bar he inticed with $100 USD, "NO!", then $150 plus necklace..."OK, but I'm not buying anything", we were to eat breakfast anyway, were going to checkout the lay of the land anyway and after the 45 min spiel I wanted my money and the beach. Got it in a couple of days, don't do it, I never did before or again...easy money though.
ROOM-pretty standard, couch,hardish bed but a nice LARGE balcony.Yes shower leaks, ask for extra towel.Thought it was smoking room, even called to be sure, but NO indoor smoking, balcony is just fine though.
FOOD- Buffet is standard with cooking stations. Restaurants are first rate. Can make reservations 1 to 2 days in advance up until 2pm, easy, no lines. Mexican and Italian great food and too much of it. Japanese, do the "show table", fun! food OK. I wish they enforced the dress code in the Buffet (long pants is not too much to ask).
POOL/BEACH- sea wall built after hurricane,lots of soft white sand but little swimming area. Two standard pools(clean) one quiet one and one with standard "games" and swim up bar. Texas Holdem' @ 3pm (love cards but maybe not @ beach).Easy stairs into pools for us older folks.Take the 20min walk left to the "lagoon".
SHUTTLE-free to Playa del Carmen, need to reserve day before (doesn't run on Sun). Taxi is $19 each way, mile walk to front gate gets you a $3 bus or a $6 taxi (still $19 coming back).
ENTERTAINMENT-not the standard silly stuff, Aztec show etc.
HOUSEKEEPING- this is the bad part, never the same number of towels, some days coffee, swept floors but not mopped, rinsed glassware, these guys don't speak anything but Spanish so another call to front desk.
BARS- pool bar closes @ 6. long walk to lobby bar after your 2 beer room allotment is gone (if you drink one, they bring you one, $ 3 to have them bring more) Ask @ pool bar for additional cans.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico