My husband and I decided at the last minute to change our local beach trip to a resort in Mexico. After checking out prices and many trip advisor reviews, we decided on Ocean Maya Royale and believe it or not, the price of the stay was comparable to our local beach trip. We stayed at the Ocean Maya Royale for 5 nights from July 30th -August 4, 2011. The resort was great and met our expectations, especially for the price. All the pictures on the resort web site were true to form, very beautiful. Upon arrival, we got upgraded to a Privilege room as all the deluxe rooms were filled. We were asked if we wanted to purchase the privilege package(which includes room service, beds on the beach, air conditioned dining in the buffett etc) but once we said no, we were never asked again. Our room had a view of the villas which although not a sea view, was nice. The bed itself had a foam mattress topper and was not comfortable to me but it was tolerable for 5 nights. The fitted sheets were like sand paper. We found it better to sleep on the top sheet as it was not as worn. The room had a mildew odor which I understand can be common at many beach resorts. We requested an air freshner in the room but never received it. As soon as a left the front desk for the request, I knew it wasn't going to be taken care of as the staff was friendly but didn't seem to take my request for an air freshner seriously. I just bought some inscents when we went on the shopping trip into Playa del Carmen (which was very hard to find) and that seems to help a lot. So you may want to pack your favorite air freshner plug ins or scented candles from home in case your room has that issue. There was great AC in our room and the shower always had consistent hot water. The mini bar stocked with water, beer, sodas and liquior was nice. We had to ask a few times for it to be refilled but it was always done promptly.
Unlike some resorts we'd been to, where there was constant harrassment to buy things and purchase excursions, we did not experience that at Ocean Maya. You may be asked to purchase your excursions through your travel agency or airport transfer company. If not, there is a tour agent that is always in the lobby 7am to 5pm that can book you on a tour of your liking. We purchased the Tulum tour for $43 per person that included our transportation, entrance fee and guide. I read on trip advisor that others just took a taxi to Tulum and paid for the entrance fee and a tour guide when they arrived. I can't imagine the taxi being cheaper as it was a long trip. The Tulum beach area was great. After being taking the tour in the scorching heat, it was nice to get into the clear blue water- so wear your bathing suit. There is nowhere to change once you enter the ruins. We also took a wonderful fishing trip at Maroma Paradise and were very pleased.
The food was good at La Hacienda, the buffett restaurant, with different varieties for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The a la cart speciality restaurants were very nice-Mostly the atmosphere than the food. But as far as the food, I enjoyed the Mexican and Japanese restaurants the best.
There were plenty of iguanas and racoon type creatures roaming about but none of them bother you. Take some bug spray as you will need it especially at night if you hang out anywhere on the resort (your room, the lobby area, the entertainment theatre) but that is to be expected- just be prepared!
The staff throughout the resort were friendly. Do remember to bring cash as it is just necessary, although the resort states that tips are included, to tip those that provide good service. There were a few that on our last day/night we sought out to give a tip to because they were consistently friendly to us. The tips although just a few dollars seems to be very appreciated. You will need your cash on the excursions for tipping the bus drivers and excursion guides. The resort offers free transportation into Playa del Carmen for shopping that you must book a reservation on a day in advance. The shopping trip had a tour guide to give you history on the area and lead you to a store to hear about Tequila making and give you samples, if you wish.
There were nightly shows and events. The Coco Bongo staff work hard to get you involved in activities at the pool and in the evening at the shows. It's kinda funny to see the pool volley ball leader dancing in the show at night but it was entertaining. Two pools were always warm and very nice. One quiet and one lively most of the day. The beach was nice to look at but not clear blue. In fact, it was very not blue at all, more brown. I never got in. The gym was small but nice. It had everything in it that you would need for a workout. I regret not utilizing the spa services as it seemed to be a lot of services offered for great prices like the couples massage for $160 US dollars.
Sure there were things that could have been better (better mattress and sheets, no mildew smell) but overall, Ocean Maya is a beautiful resort with great atmosphere, good food, friendly staff and reasonably priced- It has a lot of potential to be a five star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico