“Amazing... again :)”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #47 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I previously stayed at this same resort February of this year with family. I enjoyed myself so much, I had to go again, this time with friends, and for 2 weeks.
This hotel far exceeds everything that I look for in an all inclusive resort, I can't imagine ever staying somewhere else.
First the grounds are immaculate, very well kept and maintained. There is always staff tending to the grounds making sure they are in tip top shape. The rooms are beautiful, we were blessed to have received an upgrade to an ocean view room right next to the pool, it was beautiful and very convenient. Thanks Maria!
The food was great... again. Loved the japanese a la carte, a very entertaining experience. Make sure to try a Mayan coffee at the Mexican restaurant, the presentation and end result was awesome. The buffet had a great selection, and flavor in food was fantastic!! I'm not a fan of fish, but I ate it there almost every night. Oh and the desserts and pastries had me in heaven... again.
The drinks at the pool were always made to my liking, thanks to my favorite bartender David and waitress Karina. Both always were so accommodating, especially during the rowdiness of a younger group from Spain keeping them very busy (as you may have read in some past reviews). Frustration never showed, and they were always smiling :)
The spa treatments are fantastic. I took advantage of an amazing pedicure (thanks Mercedes) and TWO massages. The massages are amazing, and I highly recommend taking advantage of the experience, especially by the beach... speak with Gill... he'll take care of you.
Thanks to Javier, my favorite Bellman. He made sure anything we needed we received, even making sure we got softer pillows waiting for us in our rooms.
But by far my favorite part of the resort, and the main reason why I come back... is the AMAZING Entertainment staff. I have never laughed so hard or had so much fun as I had when this staff was around. Whether it was water volleyball, water polo or just a walk on the beach, the staff always made an effort to include everyone, in addition, remembering and greeting everyone by their first names. Polo was one the the most unique and original people I have ever met, keeping us in stitches daily with his sense of humor and costumes. Ricardo was always so friendly, making us feel right at home and managed to get us out dancing almost every night. Take advantage of the opportunity to go off the resort to Coco Bongo with the staff, you will have an amazing time. They will make sure your transportation is taken care of and your drink is never empty. Jes, Omar, Amy, Daniella... the list goes on, this staff is the BEST entertainment I have met... they will make you feel like family. Leaving them and their smiling faces was very hard :( Their manger Miguel should feel blessed to have such a talented and hard working group of staff.
I usually don't return to the same resort, I like to try something new. But after being at Ocean Maya Royale twice already, I wouldn't hesitate to return again. Once you find the best... there's really nothing else that can compare to it.

1  Thank Gr8Girl11
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank very much for such a great review on tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure for me and our staff to look after our repetitive customers. For us is very important to make you fell like home and I can see that we managed to do it again. I am really happy that you had such a wonderfull time again with us and I hope that you can come back very soon with us again. Just let dont forget to let me know in advance!

Best regards,

Reviewed May 18, 2011

The last night of our stay at this hotel, we had something stolen from our room. We had an early departure and did not notice until that morning. With no time to be sure and report the loss, we left with the hopes that the hotel would respond. I contacted them, gave all the details I could possibly give, and they refuse to do anything for me. I cannot make an insurance claim because I they will not help. I loved this hotel until the end but I guess they don't care. And I can only assume someone knew we were checking out early. So I am going to tell everyone I can about the events of my stay.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PRBubba

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. We would like to apologize for this inconvenience occurred during the last day of your stay. I can ensure that our customer services standards have not been reflected on this occasion. Unfortunately through this review I have not much information about your case, but if you would like to contact me privately, you can find my email address below. I will be more than happy to follow up with your case and help you. Our main concern is that our customers are always fully satisfied.

Subdireccion

Reviewed May 18, 2011

just back and very unhappy to leave such an amazing place and what really made it was the local mexican staff the friendliest people you could meet ie all the entertainment staff especially daniella,fernanda and amy also other names to look out for ingrid, estella,imelda,alberto,alfredo to name but a few. The therapists,bar staff,pool and grounds staff were equally as friendly and accomodating. grounds were beautiful, rooms were spotless, good choice of food, cant fault a thing

2  Thank iainsmith

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting a review on tripadvisor. Specially for thinking about a big part of the entertainment staff. I will make sure that they know how good they did to make sure you had a great time here with us!

Kind regards,

subdireccion.hhm@h10.

Reviewed May 17, 2011

A lot of good things have been said about this hotel and the only one I can add is.........DONT' BELIEVE THOSE PEOPLE WHO LEFT NEGATIVE REVIEWS . Those people are, probably, not happy with their life in general, not just with the hotel. It is a great resort, we didn't want to come back. Don't hesitate, go for it !!!!!!!!!!

6  Thank krasotka_2007

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate your comments about our Hotel and we hope that you come to visit us again very soon!.

Reviewed May 17, 2011

My friend & I went to the Ocean Maya for a relaxing girls stay. The Ocean Maya was very well maintained and the grounds were just beautiful. We had wanted to upgrade to a better room but were told nothing was available. Our room was OK, we did not have hot water for the first couple of days and had to have the TV looked at the first day, but that was fixed right away. Sewer smell was abundant throughout the villa's . We did get the upgrade to "privileged" for an extra 20.00 per day, and really would not do that again unless you really like an upgrade in drinks. The bright spot was our morning waiter, Alberto Mesero, who was so attentive and always a smile on his face. Our last day there, he had the sax player come in and saranade us with a song and a glass of champagne! Also, Katarina the waitress at the pool was also very nice . We had a relaxing time by the pool and made lots of new friends, but would not stay at this one again....

Room Tip: Book an upgrade before you go -

Dear guest,

Thank you for giving us your opinion about our Resort. We would like to apologize for any maintenance problem that you may have had during your stay. I would also like to thank you for naming some parts of our staff, this is very important for them.

We hope you decide to give a second chance in a close future.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

I have used trip advisor for years to help decide where to stay in Mexico and value many of the reviews. After locating The Ocean Maya Royale through trip advisor and liking the price, I continued to read the reviews. I had a hard time deciding due to the fact of some of the negative reveiws. We decided to take our chances and booked a weeks stay in May. After the stay I had two thoughts, who were these people with the negative comments and why we did not book a longer stay. I don't know what it takes to please some people, but we loved everything from the staff to the pool and beaches. The grounds were some of the most beautiful and cleanest I have encountered. I guess you may be able to find better food if you wish to pay $7000.00 for a weeks stay, but I never had a meal I did not enjoy. As far as the service, we were in our room no longer then 10 mins. when the manager knocked on the door to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. Never had that happen even at a five star resort. We will be back! Also a special thanks to Ricardo who was willing to go the extra mile to make sure everyone had a good time. Polo and the girls were also great.

5  Thank Gymrat26

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting a review on tripadvisor. Thank you also for giving us the oportunity to make sure that you had a great time despite some reviews that you have read. We are very pleased to know that you enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

After getting a really good deal and then reading mixed reviews, I honestly wasn't expecting too much from this resort, However I couldn't have been more surprised, the grounds were immaculate with lots of interesting wildlife, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the food was of very good quality with a lot to choose from and the guest rooms were large clean and comfortable. The beach was lovely although the sea was nicer in other areas, we travelled to Tulum where the sea was a gorgeous shade of turquoise.
As others have mentioned we did have some issues with a large group of rowdy Spanish teenagers waking us up and monopolising the pool and bars but they did leave during our stay and I do not feel that it would be fair to judge this beautiful well maintained resort on its occupants. I had a fantastic time just wish we had booked for another week, I also definitely recommend a trip to coco bongo! :)

2  Thank HannahBredon
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. Thank you also for trusting us despite the mixed reviews that you have read. As you have seen by yourself we do have a beautiful resort and a great staff willing to make our guest to make the best of their holidays.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#38 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#102 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!