“Not as good as we expected”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #48 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
A TripAdvisor Member
“Not as good as we expected”
Reviewed May 29, 2003

We traveled all-inclusive, four-star before, and this hotel (while rated 5-star) is a low four-star. When we first arrived, we were a little disappointed. Even though the hotel is beautiful and the property is well maintained, the hotel is relatively small compared to others we had stayed in before, with what seemed like 200 people. There was always a lot of walking involved. The walk from the lobby/restaurant to the room, and the walk from the room to the beach. Our room was beautiful, but the bathroom showed signs of aging (the door frame was rotten), and after a few days I noticed a leak in the bathroom, which someone attempted to repair while we were out. (We found a removed tile later). We never heard the cleaning personnel in the mornings, and usually left a tip for them, which they thanked us for with fresh flowers and nice towel arrangements. As other people had mentioned in their reviews, I also noticed the sewage smell at the beach one day, and the row of buildings we stayed in was close to a wooded area, which also smelled strange. Other guests were from Canada, the U.S., Germany, Italy and Latin America; a nice mixture. If you are thinking of taking your small children, I noticed that there were not a lot of other kids around (I could count them on two hands). Also, there was no separate baby pool. We noticed that people with similar interests would hook up with each other after a few days. For example, a few party people who liked to drink at the beach, yell jokes at each other, and hang out, created a small group of eight and had fun this way. Several teenagers became friends after a while, and were seen together, and so forth. But, this is definitely not your Cancun party crowd. The swimming pool was relatively small, and had only one tiny, deep area for swimming. There are no swim-up bars. There was limited shade around the pool area, but more shade and straw huts at the beach. The beach had nice white sand, and the ocean was also nice, even though not what I had expected from stayhe water was murky at times, and I got a rash on my arms after a few days since I have very sensitive skin. (I don't know if it was from the water). This hotel was by itself, a few miles away from Playa del Carmen. There were no other properties next door, even though a new hotel is being built next door right now. Once I went jogging by myself around 7 p.m., and I felt a little strange running all by myself along the beach after I noticed locals in some type of shed in the wilderness following the construction area. The lights around the property were very dim in the evening, and I would not send children to explore the hotel during the evening by themselves. (I saw very limited security there). We received a separate key to turn on the A/C unit, which was a smart way to be energy-efficient, and provided an instant cold room once we returned. Our room did not have a refrigerator. The tap water was salty, and we made sure to brush our teeth with drinking water to avoid getting sick. There is fresh water all over the hotel. The telephone was very expensive, with a $7 connection fee and a rate of $5 per minute. But there is a cheaper Internet alternative at the hotel and in Playa del Carmen. (The hotel offers free buses to town). The food was buffet-style and was very good and fresh! Even though I am a picky eater, I always found something to eat. I liked the coffee, and the alcoholic drinks were not too sweet as in other resorts sometimes, but a little watered down during the day. As in other all-inclusives, there was a restaurant with hamburgers and hot dog-type of food by the beach for people who were too lazy to walk up to the main restaurant by the lobby. We had the feeling we'd get bored pretty soon, so we attempted to learn windsurfing, which we really enjoyed. The staff for non-motorized watersport was extremely nice, so was the entertainment staff who motivated people to participate in activities, such as aerobics, volleyball and salsa dancing, but wasn't pushy. Their idea was: "Go, have fun, this is hink!" There is a pool table, which is not in great condition, and a ping pong table with horrible peddles. The "gym" at the beach is very old, but I was able to use a few weight-lifting machines to keep in shape. The evening entertainment was okay. Of the three shows we saw, two times were dance evenings for which the hotel had hired dancers not belonging to the hotel, and one was a game evening for hotel guests. Some guests told us that they would go back to this hotel, which is understandable for people who usually go three star. Overall, it is a good value for the money, but from the four four-star all-inclusives I have been to before, this would be my least favorite because of its smaller size, the hotel being in the middle of no-where, the inconvenience of walking long distances, the limited entertainment options (unless you want to spend money on tours), the average beach, and the sewage smell.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,582)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed May 28, 2003

Just returned from a week at the El Mandarin. We were delighted with the resort, and had no real complaints. We were treated well, and enjoyed the resort immensely. Unless you are unusually picky, you couldn't go wrong. Keep in mind, though, that it is in the jungle in Mexico. There were geckos hanging out on the balconies, and in one spot, the scent of mangrove swamp can be detected. Our room had a few minor problems like a balcony light that didn't work, and they shut the water off for repairs for about fifteen minutes one evening. We accepted it as part of the adventure.As to the food, there was no need to go hungry. The buffet was abundant and varied, and quite good, with a number of cultures represented. It is buffet food, so don't expect the same sort of artful food as a fancy restaurant. However, it is much better than buffet food I've had elsewhere. The "gormet" meal wasn't that different, other than the service. Enjoy it, but skip the lamb chops - they only had about five bites of meat. Drinks were ever-present and generally tended to be mixed somewhat weak. I didn't travel to Mexico to spend the week plastered out of my mind, though, so I actually preferred them the way they were.Trips to town were fun - except that the air conditioning on the shuttle van was broken, so they tended to be warm. I guess that in Mexico it's pretty common for things to be broken. We spent a day at Xel-ha (loved it!) and took a tour from Alltournative that was an absolute blast.We used these reviews to decide to go to El Mandarin. It was worth it. Have fun.

6 Thank IA_rover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!