“Holy Guacamole!”

La Frontera
Ranked #976 of 1,312 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This place was just what we needed. Mango Margaritas - check. Best nachos I've had in my life - done. Cheesy, loaded, and good to the last bite (no lame chips on the bottom layer to ruin the appeal). The calamari was the most breaded item I have ever enjoyed, but love them I did! The burrito was finished before I could ask my friend how she liked it and the guacamole alone is worth the revisit! It is prepared artfully and with love, tableside, and was absolutely worth it.
We were stunned at the end when we got the bill, and they did not accept credit cards. They took the american 1$ bills we had saved for tipping though :)

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had eleven in our group and were trying to decide where to go for dinner. We came across La Frontera and decided to give it a try. The results were great. Everyone enjoyed their meals - we had everything from tacos to fish dinners. One of our people was celebrating their birthday and the staff prepared a table side drink complete with flames. It was a great experience. I would return.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We randomly stumbled upon this place in Playa Del Carmen when we got off the Cozumel ferry....so exhausted and STARVING! I love Mexican food and was hoping to get some traditional tamales and tacos...and this place had everything I wanted!!!

The staff was very friendly and attentive and suggested delicious items for us to try! Even gave us free WIFI access and a little take home hot sauce ( just a warning it is DEADLY HOT).

We had the chicken tamale, taco tray for 2 (more than enough food), table side guacamole and Mayan Coffee for dessert! Very fresh tasting very delicious! We went back another time during our week in Mexico!

The price is a little steep I will admit, I feel they are relative to what you would pay back in Toronto or another major city so it wasn't overwhelming especially since this place was the only off resort restaurant we went to....!

There is no outside patio seating since the restaurant is on the 2nd floor but there is open air balcony seating which great music and décor!

I would highly recommend stopping into this place...! Open till 11pm.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This is a great spot for relaxing with a beer or fruity drink- taking in the 5th ave scene Great views, great drinks, and they happily accept credit cards, which helped to stretch our peso ration. Some of the nicest staff in Playa, we returned several times and we had a great time talking with our waiter. We didn't eat dinner here, usually popping upstairs around 10pm for the great people-watching views provided by sitting up above 5th. Mostly ordered drinks and late night snacks. The drinks were delicious and not watered down like most places in Playa (especially along 5th.)

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Recent visit to Playa and w/o doing proper research (ie - our first night, tired and hungry with a family of 8 we stopped in here). The food was tasty, but served cold. My sister's fajitas were not served on a typical hot plate and were not "sizzling" and warm. My enchiladas were cold and the cheese was not melted. My nephew ordered a steak burrito and the meat was too tough to eat. My hubby's chimichanga was good and the service was good....until it was time to pay the bill.

All of a sudden "the credit card machine is down" and they were unwilling to work with us. We were rookies at this point and were willing to give up our cash. They worked us over at the table with calculator in hand and we WAYYYYY overpaid for a crappy meal. I think I paid $79 US for a party of 3 (my two teens SHARED a meal, + 2 beers and 4 bottles of water). This was our worst meal and by far the most expensive on the trip. Please see my other Playa posts for some great places to eat on and near 5th. AVOID this place. Total crap.

1  Thank mski1988