“Rustic & Perfect only to REST”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Matatena Hotel

La Matatena Hotel
La Matatena Hotel
Ranked #122 of 173 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
Ankara, Turkey
“Rustic & Perfect only to REST”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

if you only want to be 'not disturbed' after a wild party at the 12th avenue or if all whole day you'll be at the beach, or just shopping at the 5th avenue, this place is the perfect, just the stairs, they're toooo looong... lol
but anyway it is pretty comfortable, besides just few steps there is a bus station which you can go and ask about tours and those stufss. If you're in cancun and want a wild party at Playa del Carmen while your stay in this city, then you ask for this hotel..!!! pretty nice ;)

THIS HOTEL IT'S VERY CLOSE FROM THE MAIN BEACH OF PLAYA DEL CARMEN!! ;)

Room Tip: I didn't know there was a Gym
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Apart from firm beds and decent bathrooms, this is pretty much all what you get for the money you pay, which is not bad at all.

Breakfast included actually makes you go somewhere else out of the hotel to satisfy your stomach, in fact, if you arrive late, you might not find all the 3 items included in the "menu". I would love to say something about the views, but both of the two rooms we booked, hadn't any windows, so aware claustrophobics.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel (although more like a hostel) is set only one block back from the bus station and a 2 minute walk from the beach.

On arriving we were given a room without windows and 4 single beds ( we are a mature couple and booked a double room). When I asked to be moved to a room with windows the guy on reception was accommodating and moved us to a double room with a large skylight. The sheets and towels were clean and smelt fresh and there was plenty of hot water. The bathroom was cleanish to a fashion but it should be remembered this is only 2 star and you get what you pay for.

Breakfast was toast and coffee enough to fill a hole.

We stayed two nights and this place did the job although i would not have stayed in a room without some form of natural light!

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Firsr of all, Our AC did not work, and many of the lights in the room didnt wok aswell.
Then when we was about to check out, they said to us to wait wile they would "check the room" and then they said that we had to pay for a sheet that was missing.
We had certainly not taken any sheets so we went up to the cleaning lady and showed her that it has only been that many sheets the whole time. Then they said they made a mistake and that we can go. But we didnt get any apology what so ever!!!

• Stayed January 2013

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Not even really a hotel, more like private hostel rooms.. much better options in playa if you look around, bug ridden and run down this place. Go somewhere else, not even good for young travellers on a budget. Got sick here too

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank djlowz
miamibeach123
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Actually, it is not a hotel, but the most horrible Hostel i´ve ever seen!!! There were no windows in the room so that i really felt having claustrophobia and not enough air to breath! The shover hardly worked; besides, there was only cold water. The towels were grey and old...
Never never never go there!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank miamibeach123
CT
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I could not find the hotel easily (although it was one block from the bus station) mostly because the name of the hotel was different (they had something else outside than "La Matatena", I have no ideas why).
On a side note, this place with different name was indeed "La Matatena": (1) the address was correct; (2) I shared printed reservation with the guy at the reception and he said it was the place; and (3) the price for rooms was not any different.
When I arrived, there was construction of the road right in front of the hotel. The guy who was checking me in was slow and destructed by helping other people (who came after me). By the time I was all set with checking in, all my stuff was covered with dust (from the contraction outside).
Luckily, my room did not face construction. However, my room did not have any windows outside. During my first evening, there was no hot water when I was taking shower (barely of room temperature). I should note, that I did not have that problem later during my stay.
At night I woke up because of noise and found a huge Mexican cockroach. I tossed it outside my room to only discover it crawling back to my room through the gap under the door (I ended up covering the gap with a towel). In the morning, I saw it dead in the hallway. However, after my second night, I found another huge cockroach in my room on the floor.
Finally, when I was checking out, they accused me in stealing a towel and wanted to charge me for it, which is ridiculous. These are some details: I stayed alone in a room with two beds, there were two towels at the beginning; however, after the room was cleaned first time after the first night, I got only one towel, not two. The next morning when I was on my way to check out, the cleaning lady ran to my room (even before I went downstairs), which looked suspicious to me (but I still did not understand at that point what was happening). Then, she called reception desk and the guy at the reception desk made me go back upstairs (with luggage) to show where I left the one towel I got to cleaning lady... and she still wanted the second towel (which I did not receive after the room was cleaned). When I was back to reception desk again, the guy wanted me to show them all my luggage (yes, open it and show everything I have); which at first did not sound too appealing to me but at some point I was ready to do so just because the situation was very ridiculous. Interestingly, the cleaning lady did not want to see my stuff/luggage (probably, because she knew that I dont have the towel). To wrap details up, after wasting some of my time, I received my deposit money back and left. On a personal note, they need to check cleaning lady's apartment for those disappearing towels...

I was very surprised with such bad experience, as reviews for the hotel I read before the trip were good.

So, all these incidents put together made the stay at La Matatena (with different name outside the hotel) very much not enjoyable. I definitely do not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo