WINNER WONDERLAND

Coffee Stop
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Seating, Takeout
Description: We're a small independent coffee shop selling Mexican coffee. The beans are from Chiapas and toasted and blended here in Playa. We have light food to accompany your hot or cold coffees and teas. From filled bagels and croissants to light salads and delicious cakes and cookies. Sanctuary just a block and half from the busy 5th Avenue and right in the centre of town. You can pop in for your coffee fix and a chat or grab one and run. We have a delivery service too if you need us! Free wi-fi and a smile. Hope to see you soon!
New York City, New York
“Made Playa feel like home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

While you are sipping on your delicious, locally produced cup of coffee ask Paul or Luis what to do in Playa, you will never regret their suggestions. They are happy to share information about best restaurants, best places to visit and how to get there. They love to chat and joke, so if you ever feel like you want some company, come and enjoy Mexican warm hospitality of Luis and English sense of humor of Paul.

I can safely say that thanks to them I had the best vacation of my life in Playa Del Carmen. I am definitely coming back to Playa and to Coffee Stop. Thank you guys!

• Visited July 2014

Tulum, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great coffee, great owner! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

The owner was so good to us. Nice to chat with, and gave us a complimentary chocolate cake! Awesome! Coffee and bagel were also delicious. Going back in the morning before we leave town!!

“Amazing coffee with equally amazing service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

My husband and I fell in love with this place on our recent trip to Playa. We stopped by every day for a delicious frappe and ideas for where to go and what to do. Thank you so much, you were the sunshine of our rainy trip!

• Visited June 2014
Thank kerryannt918 .
Birmingham, Alabama
“Coffee tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I love to drink/make coffee. After reading reviews on trip advisor we decided to make the long/hot trek to this place to try it out. We were not disappointed at all! We both ordered a mocha and thought it was fantastic. We started taking with the owner about how much we like coffee and he let us taste the coffee beans and explained where they get them from. We then bought two bags of excellent Chiapas coffee beans to take back to the US! We then continued our coffee tour and tried 3 more places. This one was the best!

Denver, Colorado
“Nice service but terrible quality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

First off, let me be straight -- the owner is a really nice guy. He is very friendly, positive and interesting. A real joy to chat with.

That's unfortunately where the story ends. The frozen/blended drinks are made with powdered milk, the ingredients are sub-par, and the results are obvious. I saw many cheapo grocery store ingredients behind the counter. If you're thinking Ghiradelli chocolate in your Mocha, this is the polar opposite of that type of coffee shop. I've had far better blended drinks at Dunkin Donuts or even at a grocery store Starbucks in the US.

I ordered a blended mocha, and was surprised while watching the creation of the drink. Lots of tiny measurements of powders. Not the methodology used when creating high quality coffee drinks, but what seemed to be a clever "workaround". It also took about a minute and a half to get all the little powders correct, it seemed like there was a strategic meeting going on behind the counter, and then finally, add a few ice cubes for the actual "liquid" element of the creation.

Needless to say, and unfortunately so, I got sick after consuming this creation.

I wonder if people from the UK simply aren't that up to snuff on objective coffee shop reality and espresso-world Barista skills? I was scratching my head and gripping my stomach as I limped home and pledged to never give up on my search for a perfect drink made by a highly skilled Barista in Playa del Carmen. Which I actually found a few days later, thank God. It is called Luna Azul.

• Visited March 2014