“No Thank You Mr Don Peru”
Review of Don Peru - CLOSED

Don Peru
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We didn't actually eat at Don Peru, but stayed at the lovely Barrio Latino hotel next door. Don Peru never seemed to have more than one table dining there every time we passed, the lone table diners consistently looked depressed at their choice of eatery. Unfortunately for us despite the lack of clientele, Don Peru insist on playing loud music, usually one c.d on repeat for a few nights in a row, until very late every night. Mostly playing to an empty restaurant. If you find yourself on this street then head to Romeos Italian across the road, best service in Playa del Carmen and reasonable lovingly prepared food, then head to Tirimisu for dessert with a stop at Mannies beer garten en route - skip past the bar and enjoy the secret garden out the back. Don Peru is outdone by it's neighbors !

1  Thank LuxBunBun
There are newer reviews for Don Peru

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Since I'm a Peruvian myself, I was excited during my trip to PDC to know that I could find a Peruvian restaurant there. So, I decided to give it a try.

My girlfriend and I went for dinner and I ordered fish ceviche and she had arroz con mariscos (seafood paella) and a couple drinks. Did not bother to ask for any Peruvian drink since they did not have any. Understandable because the location. While waiting I noticed in my phone, they had wireless Internet, so I approached the young man that was in charge and requested if I could use their service as many other restaurants in PDC provide. He told me the connection was not working but he was playing music from YouTube for the restaurant. Instead he suggested to use the free connection from Barrio Latino Hotel next door. Rough!

Service was inferior to other restaurants in the area. Most Peruvian restaurants offer bread and sauces like rocoto, huacatay or mayo, not here.

The seafood paella was overcooked and over seasoned for my taste with a dark brown color that made difficult to differentiate the ingredients. The taste was okay and my girlfriend liked it, so maybe is a matter of preference. The corn that came with the ceviche was also overcooked, even more, it tasted like a week old. The only reason I'm giving a 3 is because the ceviche was excellent. Obviously it has a lot to do with the fresh fish available in town.

The place located off 5th Ave. is nice with a bar and lounge area at the entrance, then the restaurant sitting area and the kitchen in the back. As other reviewers said they have famous chef pictures on one side and the Nazca lines on the other, all under a large open space. Prices in my opinion are average maybe a little on the high end for been located off the beaten path.

I guess I was not lucky to meet Chef Miguel but I don't think I'll give them another chance even when I still have another week to go in this beautiful town.

1  Thank Desertloner
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

I came to Don Peru, with an understanding idea on the food, like everyone else in the world, the common fear we all have is trying new food. As a recieved my food it melted into my mouth with flavours, just wonderful juicy food, everything is great, the food, the atmosphere, and the music oh god, that just sets the mood for more, i highly recommend new comers to try this place, may seem empty at times, then again its where they are located. 10/10 Good Everything, deffently will come back for more

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We met Miguel last year at the Iberostar and wanted to visit his restaurant during our visit to Playa del Carmen. It was off the beaten path a little bit but well worth the adventure.

Miguel was very excited to see us and enthusiastically went over his menu. The girls ordered a bowl of the Sopa de Polla and an empanada type dish. Miguel also made a special salad for us that wasn't listed on the menu that was quite possibly the best salad we have ever had on out lives. It was comprised of Thai type chicken and walnuts that were glazed on arugala. He made it special for us and it was great. The prices were fair; 5 cans of soda, soup, empanada and chessecake for about $30 USD. The only problem was they didn't have change for USD and had to leave the restaurant to make change. Once Miguel got wind that the waiter left to make change he called him to get him back as quickly as possible. We enjoyed the visit and I really liked the soft music they played.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I simply don't understand why any one would give this place top ratings! It does have a good feeling to it when you enter the restaurant, no doubt about that. They play nice latino music and it's well decorated. My eyes soon fell on the 4-5 large pro pictures of top chefs, one of them peruvian top chef Gaston Acurio. The last one of the pictures was of the owner/chef Miguel - somewhat the quality didn't quite look like the others, but it obviously tried to. The food would have something to live up to! We started out with a peruvian coctail, which would be the only good thing we were served. For starters I ordered some weird mashed potato and tuna thing that was decorated with mayonnaise and ketchup. My girlfriend ordered a deepfried mashed potato dish with meat stuffings. Both were really weird combinations and it didn't taste like anything special at all. As we were waiting for our starters, the waiter served my girlfriend her main course, we pointed it out, and he took it with him again. For the main course I ordered coconutsauce with shredded chicken which came with rice and two cold slices of potato topped with some cold chilisauce, on top of it all an overboiled (green) egg halfed in two pieces. It didn't really taste good but I was hungry so I ate it. My girlfriend ordered barbequed chicken with potatoes and corn. There was no corn on the plate, and she was told that they ran out as she asked for it. Next, her chicken was raw. The waiter took away her plate, and as I was done with my main course he came back with the same plate. At this point she had been served the same plate of food three times, and it was still raw inside! We asked for the bill, and we left, really dissappointed. This was a scam! The next day my girlfriend became ill...

1  Thank Niels L