“Family Dinner was very good”
Review of Don Peru - CLOSED

Don Peru
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We met Miguel last year at the Iberostar and wanted to visit his restaurant during our visit to Playa del Carmen. It was off the beaten path a little bit but well worth the adventure.

Miguel was very excited to see us and enthusiastically went over his menu. The girls ordered a bowl of the Sopa de Polla and an empanada type dish. Miguel also made a special salad for us that wasn't listed on the menu that was quite possibly the best salad we have ever had on out lives. It was comprised of Thai type chicken and walnuts that were glazed on arugala. He made it special for us and it was great. The prices were fair; 5 cans of soda, soup, empanada and chessecake for about $30 USD. The only problem was they didn't have change for USD and had to leave the restaurant to make change. Once Miguel got wind that the waiter left to make change he called him to get him back as quickly as possible. We enjoyed the visit and I really liked the soft music they played.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I simply don't understand why any one would give this place top ratings! It does have a good feeling to it when you enter the restaurant, no doubt about that. They play nice latino music and it's well decorated. My eyes soon fell on the 4-5 large pro pictures of top chefs, one of them peruvian top chef Gaston Acurio. The last one of the pictures was of the owner/chef Miguel - somewhat the quality didn't quite look like the others, but it obviously tried to. The food would have something to live up to! We started out with a peruvian coctail, which would be the only good thing we were served. For starters I ordered some weird mashed potato and tuna thing that was decorated with mayonnaise and ketchup. My girlfriend ordered a deepfried mashed potato dish with meat stuffings. Both were really weird combinations and it didn't taste like anything special at all. As we were waiting for our starters, the waiter served my girlfriend her main course, we pointed it out, and he took it with him again. For the main course I ordered coconutsauce with shredded chicken which came with rice and two cold slices of potato topped with some cold chilisauce, on top of it all an overboiled (green) egg halfed in two pieces. It didn't really taste good but I was hungry so I ate it. My girlfriend ordered barbequed chicken with potatoes and corn. There was no corn on the plate, and she was told that they ran out as she asked for it. Next, her chicken was raw. The waiter took away her plate, and as I was done with my main course he came back with the same plate. At this point she had been served the same plate of food three times, and it was still raw inside! We asked for the bill, and we left, really dissappointed. This was a scam! The next day my girlfriend became ill...

1  Thank Niels L
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Don Peru's chef and owner, Miguel Pino has created an exciting and delicious menu. I was not familiar with this style of cooking but was greatly pleased with my order. Miguel has fish, shrimp, chicken and beef entrees ann priced around 120 pesos. My family and I (4) ate there July 7, 2012 for about $65 US and we each had an entree and appitizer. We met Miguel last year and immediately became friends. He is a great person as well as a chef. Calle 4 between 10th and 15th avenues. Hours are noon to 10pm.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We, four of us in my family, ate dinner twice at Don Peru and it was Excellent! I loved the food and service at this restaurant located at 4th Calle y 10 y 15th Avenues. Will eat there again next time in playa. Outstanding food, service and prices!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Walked in off the street tonight. Good prices (especially for so close to 5th ave), great atmosphere and service. It was early and we were the only customers but that was not a bother. My picky 10 year old said "best meal ever" several times before and after. We will be returning when our guests arrive :)