“Beautiful resort and relaxing stay”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #24 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed May 16, 2014

This was our second visit to Blue Diamond and we stayed in a Cenote Deluxe Junior Suite. The previous time we stayed in a Patio Junior Suite - both were very spacious and nicely appointed and would stay in either one. My thoughts on all aspects of the resort are broken down below:

Check In: Nice touch to offer a welcome drink and chocolate and check in was relatively swift which was much appreciated since we arrived after 9 pm and wanted to make sure we could still make dinner in the restaurant. I was a little surprised after mentioning that this was our second stay that we didn't receive some sort of recognition for that (not that the hotel was obligated).

Room: Incredibly spacious - I think the bathroom was bigger than my apartment in Manhattan. A/C was perfectly functional - did not adjust at all, bed was relatively comfortable with extra pillows. It was a little strange that there was only one chair outside around the table but we just dragged out the chair from inside. In room mini bar is great though not really "personalized". [At least that was our experience last time...we didn't even bother this time]. My husband made various cocktails from the rum and vodka on offer though we didn't touch the whisky and tequila. You also get two different nut snacks as well as soft drinks, beer, mineral water and juice. I was bummed when I noticed upon check out that one of the juices was mango which I'm sure would have been great mixed with cava.

Pool/Beach: Amazing views and comfortable chairs. This time it was quite busy (as opposed to late October), so was not so easy getting chairs that had shade by the pool. The two pools and whirlpool were great - the bigger pool a bit chilly but was refreshing. I only dipped my feet in the ocean water, but it was nice. The beach does have rocks here and there but I wouldn't let that deter anyone. The service by the pool was very swift and friendly...the service on the beach was a little more slow but I think there was only one server for all of the beach area...can't really fault him for that. Shout out to Federico for bringing me a whole bottle of cava on our last day around the pool :)

Restaurants: We're not breakfast people so can't speak for that but we did Ceviche for lunch and toggled back and forth between Aguamarina and Ambar for dinner. Everything we ordered was great - the short ribs and lamb at Ambar over the top...chili poppers and chicken wings at Ceviche, not so much...but I should have expected that. I have never been to a "buffet" all inclusive resort, but I cam imagine that the a la carte experience is much better.

Fitness Room/Spa: Fitness room is spacious especially for a hotel with not so many rooms (compared to monster resorts) but I personally would have liked upgraded ellipticals. Maybe it's just because I wanted to make sure I got in a great workout in order to indulge in the all inclusive and not feel so guilty. We didn't partake in any spa activities, but the pool area looked very relaxing...wonder if they would serve drinks?

Grounds, etc.: Our room was about a half mile from the beach which was not an issue for us as it was just a way to get extra exercise before engaging in a day of hedonism. We asked for bikes upon check-in but did not receive until day 3. I couldn't adjust my seat, so opted just to stay walking. The golf carts do go up and down frequently, but we just didn't feel the need to wait around (we live in Manhattan so walking is pretty much a fact of life). Staff overall was so very friendly and there for anything you wanted.

All in all, I think the Blue Diamond is a great, relaxing resort for just chilling by the pool/beach and enjoying good, Mexican food in a great atmosphere. I'm sure we will be back and have already lauded the resort to friends and family.

1  Thank MichelleN0023
Write a ReviewReviews (1,724)

Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband and I spent our first anniversary at Blue Diamond and we had an amazing time! Prior to arriving I had emailed the resort to confirm our room and mentioned it was our anniversary. When we checked in they had upgraded us. It was a wonderful surprise! We stayed in the suite with the outdoor bath and plunge pool. It was fabulous! Probably the nicest suite I have ever stayed in. Everything was upgraded and clean. Even though the rooms are situated close together it feels and looks completely private in the backyard. As mentioned in some previous reviews we had a few small issues with the room. The first day the air conditioning stopped working in the bedroom. We called maintenance and they showed up quickly and had it fixed within 20 minutes. Another day our hot water stopped working. As we were leaving that night for dinner in town we told the front desk and they had it fixed when we we returned later that evening. Also, as mentioned before, if you get an outdoor bathtub and want it filled be prepared to wait a little while for housekeeping to come and fill it up. I have no idea why they won't let you do it yourself. The first time the water was room temperature and the second time it was really, really hot - almost like a jot tub. The inconsistency was a little strange.

The food was pretty good. We enjoyed that it was all off a menu and no buffets. I would say the breakfast and lunch were better than the dinners. We ate one night at the nicer restaurant - Ambar and was unimpressed. It's better to eat at the beach/pool restaurant at night...closer to the bar and its nice to be outside.

The beach and pool were fabulous. Yes, the beach is a little rocky, but nothing bad at all. I've seen way worse. Some people complained how narrow the beach was. I didn't notice that one bit. We also had great beach service for drinks and food. We never had to flag anyone down for a drink. The other nice thing is that we never had a problem getting chairs on the beach or pool. Granted we were always down there by about 9:30 a.m. and staked out our chairs, but that's not as bad as some other all-inclusives I've been to where chairs are gone by 7 or 8 a.m. And we were even there when it was full capacity (there was a wedding party taking place the same weekend).

We had no problem with the walk to/from the beach. We never got bikes, but the golf carts are constantly around to pick you up. The only other thing I would point out is the service is hit or miss. We had some great service and some bad. Once we had to wait almost an hour to get ice delivered to the room. One bartender was a little surly, but another one was fantastic. The beach servers were amazing! It's to be expected at any resort.

If you're looking for a beautiful, quiet resort this is perfect. All in all we had a wonderful visit and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2014

First let me start off by saying I have 15 years experience as a travel agent with AAA. I have, over the years had the chance to stay at some of the nicest resorts in the world. All inclusive resorts in my opinion leave a lot to be desired in the food aspect of the experience. I have stayed numerous times in the riviera maya at resorts such as the Zoetry, Fairmount, Iberostar Grand, Secrets, Royal Hideaway etc and I have to say the food at this resort was stellar. The only thing better than the food was the staff. The staff at this property could not have been more accommodating or helpful with any inquiry, issue, or general question that you may have. It is a very spread out property but we never had a problem getting a golf cart to go wherever we wanted. We stayed in the patio junior suite and it was immaculately clean and had all the amenities you could need. The air conditioning issues in the rooms definitely need dealt with as that seemed to be the only complaint we heard from other guests. Our bathroom was very warm but we had a large skylit over the sinks and the one whole wall was glass. I guess this was a small price to pay for the beautiful view from the shower in the morning. Please don't hesitate to book this resort, we met some wonderful people vacationing and the bartenders at the pool, Irving, Federico and Javier were the bomb! Anyone with any questions please feel free to message me. You won't be disappointed!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mark C
Reviewed May 15, 2014

If you do not enjoy the hustle and bustle of the mega- all inclusive resorts, then you MUST EXPERIENCE the Blue Diamond. Only 120 rooms, fantastic food and outstanding service. The staff goes out of their way to make sure that your every need is looked after. After our first day their everyone knew or name. It was like getting a new family. Special thanks to Julian at Aquamarine & Martain at Ambar for catering to my wife's special dietary requirements. To Omar in concierge, Juan & Mahoney at Ambar, Oscar & Jesus at Aquamarine, Antonio & Elias at the Beach and Oberlin the life guard, thank you for making our stay MOST MEMORABLE! You and your compadres are the BEST STAFF!!

My only complaint would be that the Resort sent me a survey, which I would love to complete but it is in Spanish! :-))

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO - EXCELENTE!!

Room Tip: Get as close to the beach as possible and book a bike!
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We had an absolutely wonderful stay at Blue Diamond. We usually like to try new resorts out each year but we already know that next year we'll be right back at Blue Diamond! This place is impeccably beautiful and the staff are the best of the best.

The service was far above average. Everyone was eager to take great care of you. The resort is small when it comes to number of rooms (although it seemed as large as some of the big ones I've stayed at considering size of grounds), so the staff get to know you, and you see the same faces each day - which is great if you tipped someone well the day before :) I am glad that I read a review on TripAdvisor suggesting that you tip well and early. This advice was the best!! We tipped our beach side waiter $20 to start out and our drinks never got less than half full before we had another one coming; he even brought us the bottle eventually. He proactively brought chips and guac/salsa, and served us lunch outside. I would tip him another $5 here and there when he stopped by to help us. We spent the entire day on the beach, under an umbrella, sipping fruity drinks for a whopping $35!! It was vegas level bottle service on the beach. And boy did he remember us the next day! He couldn't wait to serve us breakfast by the pool :) I would definitely recommend breaking your larger bills before coming on the resort; it was tough to get change until early afternoon, so we ended up tipping a few $20's which really was a good thing! Tip the bellman, cart drivers, turn down service, concierge. Just a couple of bucks each time but it will be well worth it - you won't have to lift a finger! It's well worth the $40 over the course of a week I'd say :)

The rooms were absolutely amazing. We stayed in #367 which was on patio 6 and backed up to a little river that had its very own crocodile. We occasionally had a coati or iguana visit our back yard which was really pleasant :) we fed them the nuts from the mini bar and they adorably accepted the treats! This room seemed more private than some of the others because it was backed up to the water and palm trees - some of the suites had a bit more exposure to the main road, but seemed pretty private overall - I really don't think you can get a bad room here!

The food was amazing. We usually spend a few days in town (Playa) to enjoy better dining options than the resorts typically offer but didn't find a need to this trip!! Everything was thoughtfully prepared and creative. When we were too tired to venture out we ordered room service which was faster than when I've ever ordered it in the states - it was a nice option for a relaxing night in.

There are a couple of things I've seen in reviews which are true, but not a bother to us AT ALL! First, it did take 2 days to get a bike, but no problem - you could get a ride or take a nice stroll instead :) Once we did get our bikes, one of them had almost flat tires so it was too hard to ride. The unspoken rule of just 'take another one' is right - don't be afraid to swap it out, it's commonplace even if you're "assigned" a bike. It's a tropical paradise, no one cares about the bikes ;)

The next heads up is about the air conditioning. This isn't a high rise with big central cooling so you're not going to have a 68 degree room. If you don't come in expecting it, you won't notice a thing. We were totally fine with the temperature because it wasn't humid in our room, it was definitely cooled, it just didn't get below 76 in there. The ceiling fans were really strong so we slept with ours on and were very comfortable. There may be other suites that have more impressive A/C units if needed, but again, we had no problems with this - it was kind of fun pretending that we lived in this little cottage in Mexico and only had light A/C and fans to cool us :)

The final acknowledgement is that the beach is a bit rocky as others have mentioned, but it's only about a 3 foot patch and once you step past that you are on smooth sand - it's no inconvenience at all. And the other reviewers are right, walk up and down the beach, you'll see Blue Diamond has the nicest area!

The pool bartenders were so much fun. Ask them for the "special" frozen coffee drink. YUM! I liked it so much the bartender would always make me two at a time :) don't mind if I do!

Another thing I loved about this resort is that since it was small (i think only 126 rooms), there was no fighting for beach or pool chairs. Even the pool beds were fairly easy to obtain at any time during the day! There's nothing worse than going to those huge resorts where if you don't get out at 7AM to put all of your stuff on a chair you won't see one again until sundown. This place was super breezy and casual and we never had to wait for anything.

The only recommendations I'd give to the hotel would be to have an a la carte food option whether it be a buffet or a taco stand, etc. It was a hot Mexico week so I wasn't super hungry between meals, but it would have been nice to have just walked up to grab some fruit or something to go, as the restaurants were all sit down and you'd have to wait for normal meal service times. Luckily the rooms were stocked with little snacks every day so it wasn't a problem, it would have just been a little extra 'nice to have'. In fact, while on the subject of stocked - they have a fantastic mini bar!! Good variety of sodas, juices, beer, liquor, snacks, coffee. We could have enjoyed a great vacation right there in our room the entire time! They were also so kind as to surprise us with a chilled bottle of champagne upon arrival since it was my birthday (or maybe they do that for everyone?). They really think of the 'little things'.

This place is amazing - we will be back!

Room Tip: If you like privacy like we do, go with one of the patio junior suites. Not only are they very affor...
3  Thank TravelSparkles
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Have been looking at this place for a year and finally went and so happy we did! Blown away by the beauty of the resort. Likes: Staff - Martina in concierge, Antonio at Ambar, Jose and Claudio Augamarine, Javer at pool bar, Paula at Spa. Staff in general. No children. Great food. Beautiful rooms. Room service!! Spa.
Dislikes: They could make the air-conditioning colder. Service sometimes slow. Spa should have champagne more readily available or drinks in general. All rooms should have outdoor bathtubs. Would have been nice if they had more food at hand, like buffet style throughout day for snacks and such.
All in all amazing, would go back in a heart beat and bring more friends and family.
I forgot my sun hat there which is sad but hoping they find and mail to me!!

Room Tip: If you can - spring for the beach front Vilas!
2  Thank Amandaa D
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This resort earns all of it's 5 stars! We actually went here last year in November and after just recently returning from another resort, we decided we would be going back to Blue Diamond next time and stay there! The food is amazing. The staff is amazing. The beach is amazing. The rooms are amazing. Everything about this place was so great.

We typically like to do nothing on beach vacations - just sit by the pool, read and eat good food. If you're looking for activities, this is not the resort for you... but relaxation and nice amenities - this is the best resort!

1  Thank Elizabeth D