“Loved somethings but the rest was just so so”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #44 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Easton, Maryland
“Loved somethings but the rest was just so so”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This review is long overdue but here goes. There are some things about BD that definitely make it a five star resort but in all honesty I don't think it deserves an 5 star rating. A solid 3.5 or a 4 star perhaps but certainly not a 5 star. It has the potential but in the state that we found it in it is nowhere near it's proclaimed 5 star status. It is in need of some serious repairs & lacked in a lot of areas. It felt bare boned to us. We were there for 7 nights which was far to long. We paid $142 pp for 3 nights & $152 pp for 4 nights. (that was via an online auction site) If we had paid any more we would have been terribly upset.

We were in suite 510 which is basically in the middle of the resort. The suite itself was very nice but we had many issues. Housekeeping was overlooked on several occasions & our mini bar was almost never restocked. We had to constantly call. They could never seem to restock the coffee area as it was when we first checked in. Again, we had to continuously remind them. We had some serious downpours & there was a major leak right next to one of our windows. Just below the window was a ledge where there is an active outlet. The water was about two inches away from the outlet when we walked into the bedroom. We called, they came immediately but did nothing since we weren't using the outlet??? In other words it was safe b/c nothing was plugged in to it. No offer to clean up the mess, no repairs were made, they simply blew it off & left it as is. The decor in our suite left something to be desired, nothing bad but not up to 5 star standards imo. There were a few pieces of furniture that had definitely seen better days. The cabinet that housed our mini fridge in particular was extremely damaged. The hairdryer broke. The iron & the ironing board was a joke. Our garden area was lovely, the view was very nice & peaceful but obviously the bugs were a problem. No bug spray in our suite but our friends had repellant in theirs??? We didn't have an iPod docking station & there was NO surround sound system as promised. None of that was expected. The bathroom was amazing, spacious & the rain showers were one of my favorite things about the suite itself. The bed was very comfortable & we slept well.

Not having to make dinner reservations on vacation is a requirement for us. We didn't have to wait long at any time to be seated. There are only 2 real restaurants at BD so the food can get repetitive & boring after a few days. For us breakfast was the highlight meal of the day/night mostly. We had a terrible experience in Ambar one night. I won't go into any details other than to say that our waiter was unprofessional & lacked any type of apology for his behavior. Someone in our party asked to speak to the manager several times but the waiter decided not to tell anyone. We never went back to Ambar after that night.

There is no nightlife at all. We were at the cigar bar one night there were a few of us there, the bartender told us at 10:30 he was leaving??? Another night we shut it down at 2 am. That was a great night!!! Most of the scheduled activities were cancelled for no reason. When we asked we were told, it was just cancelled??? The only form of entertainment for our entire stay was one day at lunch there was a Mariachi Band & two Xylophone Players by the pool. That's it.

The beach was decent but if you are expecting gorgeous turquoise water then I am afraid you will be disappointed. We walked the beach for miles & miles in both directions. We walked all the way to Hacienda Tres Rios toward Cancun one day & all the way to the Princess Resorts toward Playa on another day. Trust me, BD has the best beach in the area. The pool area is relaxing but the pool itself is extremely small. I can't imagine what it's like when the resort is at capacity. They should consider building another pool. They certainly have the room.

The Spa was a outstanding. 5 stars all the way! You can use the facilities for free & please do. We used the sauna, the pools (indoor & out), the steam room & the relaxation room. The spa itself was incredible & we ARE NOT spa people by any means whatsoever. Just a suggestion if you need a break from the main pool area, go enjoy the outdoor pools at the Spa. I don't think you can get drink service (alcohol) at the spa's pools so that may be a drawback but it's very peaceful & serene otherwise.

We signed up for the complementary Temazcal Ceremony. (sweat lodge) Our concierge went over everything w/ us the day before so we knew what to expect. We were so excited. We showed up the next morning looking very forward to the ceremony. I really thought it was going to be amazing but I wish I would have known that there was going to be a lot of smoke involved. The igloo wasn't the problem for us, it was the smoke that mad me extremely sick. The Shaman walks around each person w/ a burning/smoking piece of wood/incense as he says a few prayers/chants. This happens before you go into the igloo itself & the smoke really got to me. I thought I would be okay once I got inside & sat down but then I started to feel extremely ill. I asked the Shaman if I could leave & he was gracious. He let me out w/ no issues. I felt awful about leaving b/c it seemed as if I broke the circle we had formed as a group but I had to get out of there. I needed to get some fresh air. I sat outside while my husband finished but he came out 10 minutes later, he said he felt sick too. Please don't misunderstand me, this was a beautiful authentic ceremony & I highly recommend it but if you are very sensitive to smoke, smoke of any kind like I am then I do not recommend it. I just wish the concierge would have mentioned the part about the smoke to us the day before. I would have declined the offer if I had known. Live & learn.

9 out of 10 of the bikes we tried were either broken or in dire need of a bike doctor. My husband was riding one to the lobby from the beach & the chain broke. He fixed the chain but it popped off again & broke again. That reminds me, the walk from the lobby to the beach took us just about 25 minutes. The resort is breathtaking so the walk is exceptional. We were picked up many times throughout our stay by the golf carts but we actually preferred walking. The only time we ever had to wait for a cart was on our last day as we were leaving but it wasn't a problem. We planned accordingly.

BD has an excellent selection of beer. Sol, Tecate, Dos Equis, Dos Equis Amber, Presidente etc.. BUT there was an up charge for Bombay Sapphire Gin. Tanqueray Gin was free??? That's a no no in my book.

The suite, minus the issues, & the staff are what makes BD. The staff are the best of the best, they are what makes it so special. Other than the waiter at Ambar every single employee was suburb. Always smiling, stopping to say hello, going out of there way, bending over backwards, outstanding & very very friendly. They enjoyed their jobs & it showed. The staff are the heartbeat of BD. I can't say enough about them.

Unfortunately I can say that we will more than likely not return. If we could get the same rate maybe & that's a big maybe but only if some repairs/changes were made. There are so many other 5 star resorts out there & just not enough time. We had a relaxing time together. We were able to reconnect & that is what we needed. If you are headed there please don't let this review bring you down. Go & have a wonderful time just don't expect a 5 star resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hailtotheredskins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Selected this resort after spending a week at the Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda with our children and grandchildren. This resort is simply over the top in terms of accommodation, service, setting and food. We felt, in a word, pampered. We were expecting a "room", however the resort only has suites! We had a junior suite with over 1,000 sq ft!

The staff is absolutely incredible - from Julian, head waiter at the Aqua Marina Restaurant, along with his wiaters Jesus, Dago and Priscilliano; bartenders Irving and Federico, who mixed amazing drinks, and Roman, Javier (Waiters) and Laura (Maitre D') were also awesome. We spent an entire week at the resort and by day 2, most of the staff new us by name and took fabulous care of us! I am celiac, but no problem with the resort food - I had bread, buns, muffins and waffles made fresh and gluten free!!

Also a shout out to Renata who efficiently check us in/out and made our

It was a glorious week! Would highly recommend it to any couple that would like a truly relaxing and stress free vacation! Looking forward to going back next year.

Room Tip: The rooms close to the main check in (200's) are the best (the Cenote Jr Suites) - quiet, close...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paul R
Seoul
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is a long overdue review - I visited Blue Diamonds from Feb 21st-Feb 23rd with my sister.

I would like to thank all of the restaurant staff who showed us an exceptional level of service. Especially, Jose, Dagoberto, and Prisciliano always made sure that we were happy. My sister and I were very grateful for their service, and look forward to seeing them again one day!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank diamondsh
Philadelphia Pa
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was a wonderful resort and a true 5 star. The room was amazing, this was most likely the cleanest room we have ever had. The staff is amazing no request is too big. The waiters at breakfast were wonderful, they even had the chef prepare me something so I could see how it looked and tasted to try to make it at home for my kids. The grounds are spread out but this allows for privacy. The food was wonderful, fresh, and the portions were more than filling. The spa is wonderful and you should definitely try the Tamzical.
Drinks are well made, the in room minibar contained large bottles.
To address some of the issues from others, this is a small resort with a smaller staff so filling up outdoor tub can take 30-60 minutes for someone to show up so call a little early or just wait it's worth it, the water temp will be whatever the temp is outside, they tell you this when checking in. The room was cleaned daily and there is nightly turn down service where they change towels. The resort is spread out so you can ride a bike, walk or get a ride, be patient as the carts used to transport you are also used for check-ins, check-outs, and to transport others. There are mosquitoes, they provide excellent bug spray on the vanity in the bathroom, I wasn't bitten once.

If you can, do!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sabreepc
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We selected this resort after the reviews we read on Trip Advisor and we were not dissapointed. The resort is very well maintained but the staff is what made our stay so enjoyable.

We arrived at the hotel after a midnight flight out of Denver and they were kind enough to get us checked in to our room around 10:30. I did email the concierge before we arrived to give them a heads up about our early a.m. arrival time and they were able to accommodate our request.

My wife celebrated her birthday while we were on vacation and Marco prepared surprise drinks along with her favorite pasta. This was not on the menu but they were happy to accommodate you with anything you would like just ask for it!

Irving at the pool bar was their everyday with a smile on his face and made my Bloody Mary's every morning extra spicy just the way I like it. Marco served us the majority of our meals and even gave my wife a couple glass blown crocodiles that his wife made because she enjoyed feeding them the leftovers from her meals.

Here are a few more names of the staff that I would like to mention that went above and beyond to make our stay so enjoyable - Laura and Martin in the Ambar restaurant, Oberlin the lifeguard kept on eye on everyone in the ocean and was also raking up the sea grass and rocks along the beach, Caesar at the beach bar always made sure that our drinks were full, Rogelio also assisted us when one of our phones were lost in a pile of towels after a torrential downpour and I'm glad to report that it was not drenched in the process, Alphonso was an exceptional waiter at the pool serving lunch and drinks all day long, Joel chef at the Ambar restaurant always prepared our food just as we requested.

We accidently left our room safe open one day and they left a note after locking our safe up to call security to have the safe opened and to confirm everything was still there. I can't say that this would have been true in other resorts that we have stayed.

This was a relaxing beautiful resort but again the staff is what truely made this resort a very enjoyable vacation.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bob K
Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We recently spent 4 days at the blue diamond riviera maya. And from the moment we arrived we were made to feel like royalty. This was one of the only times we had ever walked away from a hotel experience and would not change a thing. The people, the food, the grounds the rooms the amenities the tranquility. It is not a pool games, loud music experience. It is where you go if you want to feel taken care of, not bothered, healthy and rested.

Room Tip: If you want a beach view you must say so. Its much more money but totally worth it. A little less is...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leslie W
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

This place is INCREDIBLE. If you are even considering it, just do it! We will 100% be returning. The place is beyond beautiful. The rooms themselves will make you not want to leave. The staff is so attentive and because the resort is smaller they get to know you personally. Our favorite server David often had our drinks ready before we even asked for them. Breakfast and lunches were fantastic. Dinner was great too, just a smaller selection with there only being two restaurants. We did room service one night for dinner and it was superb as well. This place is truly incredible and the only thing you'll regret is not staying longer. It was truly the most romantic resort we have ever been to.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Leshort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#53 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!