“Amazing and quiet”

Ranked #48 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Shavertown, Pennsylvania
“Amazing and quiet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just got back! We were looking for an extremely relaxing vacation and that is what we found! It was small, quiet with large rooms and great views! We started in rooms in the 200s and got moved to the 500s bc our shower was cold-the rooms were almost identical except view and convenience to beach and restaurants. The food was by far the best all inclusive food we have had. Prior to arrival I read reviews and the negatives I read about were not existent! If we needed a ride we called and one would show up within 5mins. Bicycles were not readily avail but once on list got them in one days time. We would go back again! Not a place to go if looking to be entertained-but if you would love some relaxation this was above and beyond our expectations!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aamoore2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Korean first
Richmond Hill, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Just got back from a short (4 night) vacation from this resort. All in all - we loved it. The pictures you see online don't do justice to how beautiful this place is. Very serene, private and small. It feels that you're amidst a dense forest - but you're not. Yes, the place is surrounded by trees and it feels wonderful to be among nature. Very, very quiet. Our room overlooked the trees and laguna and it was picture perfect. Very large room with all amenities you could ask for. Huge bathroom with private outdoor tub (does not have warm water, but in warm temps, it wasn't bad at all). Unlimited international long distance calling is a huge bonus. This resort is just fantastic.

The only slight downside we felt was that service was spotty. While on the beach and around the pool, sometimes it took a while for someone to come around asking for drinks/orders etc. But this is not a big deal. The staff try and please you and were extremely friendly.

We went here for our wedding anniversary and the concierge made sure they decorated our room on the night and had a bottle of bubbly ready. I asked for some tealights so that we could enjoy the patio, which was promptly provided.

All in all - a great stay. Very highly recommended if you're looking for a quieter & finer vacation experience than most "big" resorts will provide!

Room Tip: Ask for a laguna room closer to the beach. Rooms in the 520s would be great!
1 Thank PaulN-Ajax
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We wanted a small, quiet all- in week's break, so we could relax and de stress in the sunshine, away from the rain. We achieved this in the Blue Diamond Resort last week. The staff were welcoming and helpful, food was delicious, great variety and plentiful. Accommodation and amenities were comfortable, luxurious and really lived the jungle setting. Enjoyed an excellent relaxing spa treatment and the amenities at the beach and poolside, which included a Hobie Cat sail along the coast. We were also very glad we went on an amazing day trip to the Mayan ruins at Coba.

1 Thank Maureen F
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I wish that I could have given this 4.5 stars!

My husband and I stayed at the BDRM in mid October for a quick three night getaway. We are experienced travelers, but have only ever stayed at one other all-inclusive hotel, The Iberostar Paraiso Maya with our children two years ago. This time it was just the two of us, and we tried to go another route with a smaller hotel. Overall I will say that we loved our stay. While I can see that this hotel wouldn't be for everyone, it was really perfect for what we wanted, which was a quick, romantic, peaceful getaway in a beautiful spot.

On to the details. We reserved the least expensive room, and wrote ahead several times with questions for the concierge, which were always answered promptly and nicely. We requested bikes, as this was a huge draw for me - I loved the idea of having bikes. We arranged for airport transfer through the hotel, which I'm sure wasn't the cheapest option, but was fantastic.

We landed on time on a direct flight from BWI, and then hit a huge line at immigration control. Once through that, we breezed through customs as we carried on our suitcases. If you've never landed at CUN before, once you get through customs, you'll come to a large hall filled with people wearing official looking shirts who all start talking to you. Keep walking until you get all the way outside - and that's where you'll find your pre-arranged transport. Our driver was there, and I don't even think it took us 30 minutes and we were at the hotel. We booked the driver through the hotel, and while I'm sure that there are cheaper private transports, this was great. The drive through the wooden gates is a little silly, but definitely puts you in the mood for a relaxing vacation. Check in was nice - they brought us a drink and chocolates, and were very friendly. We were upgraded to the next level of rooms (were these Ribera? Still not sure), but told that they had no bikes until the next day. We asked what the occupancy rate was and were told 30%. It was VERY quiet. We loved that.

We were taken to our room and showed around. The rooms were the reason that we chose the BDRM, and we could not have been happier. They are huge, private, beautiful, and very comfortable. As others have said, they had champagne waiting, and a nicely stocked mini-bar. I had read lots of reports of falling-apart rooms, but we found no evidence that that anywhere. The rooms were spotlessly clean, and the linens were top notch. The bed was wonderful.

Reports of BDRM food varies so widely on Tripadvisor, so I didn't know what to expect. We loved it! There is no possible way that you could ever go hungry for a second at this resort. Breakfast was phenomenal, with a huge range of choices. We ate some lunches at Ceviche or on the beach, and others at Aquamarine. We never ate at Ambar, because we loved Aquamarine and since we were only there for three nights, I wanted to look at the ocean as often as possible. To sit outside on the deck, which we were able to do each evening, and look at the moon over the water while we ate was really an incredible treat. I found the menu at night to be pretty small - they have a different theme each evening. The one night that I couldn't find anything that appealed to me I asked them just to make me some grilled shrimp, and they served it over a bed of rice, with veggies, and it was perfect. I loved the beach service, and eating the amazing guacamole and pico de gallo during the day. Overall, the food was great. I was surprised by all of the negative reviews. It might have helped that we were there during such a quiet period, but we also never experienced any problems with service in the restaurants. Things came quickly and there was always someone to help.

I was also a little worried about mosquitos because they love me, but I never got a bite. The beach was beautiful, and people who complained about rocks should stick to swimming pools. It's the ocean! You don't need water shoes. We used the spa to work out, and it's as beautiful as people have reported. We did the Temazcal Ceremony - and I admit that I was very surprised by it. Do a little reading about it before you go. That said, if I had known everything about it beforehand, I'm not sure we would have done it, and I'm glad we did. We also took advantage of the free snorkeling trip, and it was awesome. I can't remember the name of the young woman who took us, but she was fantastic. There wasn't enough wind to take the catamaran, and so they were going to cancel the trip. The reef is RIGHT off the beach, and when she saw how disappointed we were (it was such a short trip for us), she asked if we wanted to go out on kayaks. We did, and we had a great time. It was really nice of her.

My only criticism of the hotel would have to do with the bikes. We wrote months ahead of time asking for bikes, and when we got there, we were told there weren't any that we could use. They did deliver some the next day, but it was kind of a bummer. It's NOT a big distance from one end of the resort to the other, but the bikes are awesome, and fun, and such a nice way to get around. I'm not sure that I would want to keep walking 10 or 15 minutes to the beach back and forth all day, and I'm not sure that I love being driven around by golf carts. I know this is probably unusual, but it would be the only thing that would keep me from returning. If they could be rented, and you could do that ahead of time, that would be fine. If there was a certain room type that they came with so that you knew you could get them, that would be fine, too. It just seemed a bit random that they couldn't give an answer.

Other than that - I LOVED this place. The people were lovely, the rooms were outrageous, the beach was gorgeous and the good was great. It's an easy, quick getaway from the mid-atlantic. It's really wonderful. They DO provide bug spray and beach bags in the rooms, so you don't need to bring them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Becky2010
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Let me start ff by saying that if I could rate 4.5 that is where I would be (but I can only select a 4 or 5). it was better than good but a few small details keep me from giving a full 5.

My husband and I have been to many All Inclusives over the last 10 years or so throughout Mexico and the Caribbean (at least 15). This one certainly ranks high. If you are looking for an exceptionally relaxing, subdued, tranquil vacation this is your spot. And that was just what we wanted this time around.

The resort is small, about 128 rooms I believe so it has a bit of a boutique feel. Because of that the staff are able to pay attention to details like what you are drinking, how you like your coffee. A nice touch.

The bar options (and bar tenders – Hi Irving and Frederico) are top notch. We don't drink much wine so I can't speak to that but the alcohol and beer choices were good.

We arrived very late (after 2am) so we didn't get the mamosas and truffles that others have talked about. We were however able to get drinks and some great snacks (quesadillas and fajitas) at the ceviche restaurant which is open 24 hours.

Loved our room! It was well appointed, comfortable and visually appealing. Also very private. Our only vice was that we didn't feel the floors were cleaned that well (not just during our stay but upon arrival we had noticed this) and there were some minor things (like an empty shampoo bottle on the shelf in our walk in closet) that were overlooked. I won't take away a point on the overall rating for this because I am confident that had we said something it would have been remedied immediately. That is what makes this resort great. They work very hard to please their guests. It wasn't bothersome enough for me to seek attention. The only other thing we encountered with our room was limited hot water. Again not bad enough for me to be a bother.

The layout is such that depending on your room selection you may have to walk a bit to the beach/pool/restaurants. We are young enough that it didn't bother us. In fact because we had to do so little for ourselves all day (Caesar made it so that we never had to leave our beach chairs for a drink) that we wanted the walk. The grounds and path are well kept and nice to walk through. Also there are regular golf carts and service at your door should you call for it so if you don't want to walk you don't need to. We found the carts very accessible until the last day. When we were trying to check out we called twice and waited nearly 30 minutes before we decided to walk to the lobby. When we were pretty much at the lobby a cart pulled up and asked if we needed a lift but since we were so close we waved him off. Was a bit of an unfortunate way to end the trip. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Food was good; above average by all inclusive standards. Also having a la cartes without reservations is always a plus in my books. It helped to maintain that relaxed feel; I like eating at my leisure but do not like buffets at all. Ambar was our favorite for dinner. We tried the mexican at aquamarina one night and I was unimpressed. Not disgusted but I felt it was lacking flavor which made me sad because I love Mexican. We were at Aquamaria and left during the Oriental themed night not because the food was bad (we didn’t try it) but because the menu consisted of pork, seafood and duck (all of which I don’t eat). There may have been beef as well, I can’t recall but I had eaten beef twice the day before so I pretty much wanted chicken only. I would never hold that against the restaurant – my limited diet is my own doing. We had also gone to the beach BBQ that night. I believe it would have been decent but despite the fact that the menu said they had chicken there wasn't any on the grill. My biggest disappointment it the BBQ was that many of the things listed on the menu were not being served. None of the salads listed were there (I had my heart set on one with apple that was listed but got potato salad and some mixed green salads instead) and the salads are served buffet style which I do not like, no chicken, no grilled asparagus. Those were the items I remember because they were the items I planned on eating. So in the end we went up to Ambar and I had my chicken. One other note – I was disappointed with a few desserts, especially the cappuccino soufflé at Ambar. I didn’t come across a single one that I had to have again.

Pools were a bit small but being on the roof top had gorgeous beach views especially in the infinity pool. Beach was well manicured but yes, as others have noted there are some rocky areas. I didn't feel the need for aqua socks but some might. We never had trouble getting seats. I found this resort to be slow in the morning (probably because the rooms were so nice no one wanted to leave them). On more than one occasion we were the first on the beach even at 9am. At some other larger resorts by 9am there are no chairs left! Nice touch is the gentlemen who escorts you to the chairs of your choosing, lays down your towels, affixes pillows and gets you an umbrella if you desire one. One thing to note is that because you don’t have towel cards, simply leaving your towels on a chair will not hold them. Makes sense to me but if you are used to larger resorts with the towel cards you probably wouldn’t expect this. If you wanted to hold a spot leave behind a personal item (sandals or a magazine). Again because there were plenty of chairs you could always just find new ones. Oh, and they seemed to be having difficulties in the beach area with water pressure/plumbing throughout our stay. There were multiple instances where not all toilets were flushing, water to wash hands was a trickle and the shower on the beach only had hot water (that felt a little bad on my sunburn lol). All the while though you could see them working to resolve the issue. I can honestly say it is rare to go to a resort and not experience at least one hiccup like this. How you react determines how much it impacts your trip.

In summary if you want a quiet relaxing vacation where you do as little as possible go here.

4 Thank Crystal S
Wayzata, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

This place is very nice and relaxing. All of the other reviews are pretty spot on. We were in one of the Junior Suites up closer to the lobby and spa area and it was very nice because of the privacy it had. It was more or less surrounded by jungle.

I would say a few things:

None of the places are really on the water; there is an extremely well-manicured golf cart path that runs the length (maybe a mile or so) of the property between the lobby and the water. It is a long walk to the water. There are always golf carts going by to hitch a ride however.

I was confused by all the reviews concerning the bikes. The reason for the bikes is to ride down to the water. My opinion would be that a property as nice as this should buy more bikes and just make it bike share situation.

We changed in the spa area after check out before our flight home and both agreed it would have been worth it to spend time up there. Nobody was there and it, just like everything else, was extremely well appointed and nice. Peaceful….outdoor pool (all to yourself).

Room service food is OK…..not great.

Caesar is a wonderful person to get to know. If Samuel comes your way offering shots of Tequila, run!

We would definitely go back.

4 Thank djburf
Edgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Blue Diamond resort by Blue-Bay is a very peaceful spot for anyone who wants to get away from it all. Meaning noisy kids, loud party people etc. This all inclusive, adults only resort is perfect for couples. It was originally a Mandarin Oriental so the design has somewhat of an asian feel with clean lines and a Zenish atmosphere. There are high end finishes everywhere. Our room was very spacious and well appointed. The bathroom was huge with an outdoor shower, a huge sunken tub and dual alabaster sinks. We had a nice deck that jutted out over a lagoon.The grounds around the resort are beautiful and well manicured.
The service at the resort was excellent. Every room has a butler who will cater to whatever you want, whenever you want. Housekeeping was attentive and consistent.
The pool is relatively small but clean. It had a Miami vibe.
The beach is beautiful but getting into the water was very rocky, so bring your beach shoes.
The service at the pool and beach was very good. Especially Ceasar who runs his butt off at the beach.
As an all inclusive you expect a limit to "high end" but here the high end is just that. The spirits they serve are Grey Goose, Kettle One and Belvedere for vodka. Don Julio Reposada, Heradura reposada and 1800 for tequilas. The wine is below par as it is anywhere in Mexico because of the import tax. The do have better wines that you can get for a price.
The food at this resort is what separates this place from other all inclusive resorts we have been to.
Breakfast is to order, not a buffet and the menu selection is huge.
Ambar, the main dinner restaurant has a variety of dishes that were all fantastic.
Their other restaurant, Aquamarino changes their menu daily to keep thing interesting. Each night has a different them such as Oriental/Thai, French and Mexican/Mayan.
Both restaurants have a very upscale feel with great service.
The resort need a little TLC, it's not rundown by any means but it was abandoned for over a year before Blue-Bay took it over and some things need attending to. There was also an occasional odor of gas at certain places in the resort and once in our room.
The gym is small and when we were there 3 out of 7 machines were out of service.
I don't think it has enough variety of things to do for us to stay for more then a week but the week we stayed was almost perfect.

9 Thank Lawrence O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#45 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,572 reviews

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!