“Above and Beyond”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #38 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

For a newly married couple you want the honeymoon to be just amazing. So picking a spot to relax and unwind is very key and important. Choosing Blue Diamond resort was the best decision my wife and I had ever made. From the moment we got there we were treated as King and Queen. The staff was so friendly and welcoming. Even though everyone was nice there was staff that went above and beyond to make our stay even more enjoyable and should be greatly reward for their efforts. For my wife and I it was Omar from the concierge office who attended to our every need when my wife got sick. Not only did he attend to our needs he worked quickly to help us out. That was very key in not allowing a sickness to ruin our vacation. The other individual we highly appreciated was Joaquin Rodriguez. My wife and I have a gluten allergy and eating out could become difficult when your unsure about the ingredients with in a dish. Joaquin was there to help us greatly, when ever we entered a restaurant it was like within minutes he was there going through the menu with us about gluten free food options. Also he went back and forth communicating with the chef about what foods didn't have wheat or flour and he would surprise us with specialty dishes that were made gluten free for us. I normally don't write reviews but such service and care I feel should not go unnoticed. As a Nurse I work within a hospital and come in contact with a large volume if people, because of our wonderful experience and the hard work of Omar and Joaquin plus the rest of the staff, I did not stop talking about Blue Diamond to my colleagues and patients. The food was very good and the resort was a place away from home that was so serene. We were located at 520 the Junior Suite Patalifio, it was right on the lake. We recommend getting a bike when you arrive, once one is available. Also get one of the cabanas if you can that is pool side. We strongly recommend this location for honeymooners.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PhilipRN

Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I went for a presentation at this resort today. The entrance was lovely. We were interviewed by a couple of people to clear us and make sure we qualified to own at this resort. We were told we would have breakfast, then a tour of the grounds. After this there was to be a 90 minute sales presentation. We arrived shortly after 9:00 am. and walked around with our representative on the way to the restaurant. We stopped at the spa, but when our guide tried to open the door to show us the facilities it was locked. I am currently walking with a cane and experiencing pain off and on from my hip. We walked approximately 1/4 of a mile. There were many carts but we were not afforded one until maybe about 100 yards before the restaurant. There were several groups of people having the sales promotion presented to them. We were not served breakfast until 11:30 am. We were seated at a table where the table cloth was filthy - stains all over it. There were many cloths around that could have been used to cover these stains. We saw only one junior unit, it was locked when we got there and had to wait for our rep to go retrieve a key. It was nice, but had no beach view. We were never shown the beach because apparently there was no cart available to take us down there. This appears to be a beautiful resort, but they claim to be 5 star, that is certainly not the impression we got because of the service. If this is what happens to someone when they are trying to sell someone on buying into the resort, I would be very leery about what would happen after you pay your money.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank professoradams
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I am writing to contradict all the recent bad reviews. We had a very nice stay with very good service.

We got a good rate on Jetsetter, but with free food, drink, wifi, cabanas, everything it is not a bad value even at regular prices. Similar resorts in the area charge $600 for a room and are not all inclusive.

The food and drinks were very good and the rooms are huge. The pool and restaurants are very stylish also.

We had carts quickly and dinner did not take 2.5hrs as some other reviewers had stated.

I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Msbtampa
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We are currently at the Blue Diamond Resort in cenote 229 and cannot say enough about the outstanding service here!! The rooms are indescribably beautiful and by far exceeds any of the usual five star resorts! We stayed our first week at the blue baby grand Esmeralda which is the sister resort to this one and that resort is fantastic as well but the beach is very sea weedy and the dirt from the mangroves is very prevalent there. The Blue Diamond is closer to playa del Carmen and has brilliant blue clear water and beautiful clean sandy beach. The food and the staff are outstanding and it is if they anticipate your every want and need before you do! From beachside service of ice buckets filled with your choice of beverages, chips and salsa and whatever else you desire to all al a cart restaurants with 5 star dining. Everything you could possibly want or need is anticipated and exceeded. Again, the staff is the most friendliest we have ever come across and we have travelled extensively! From Caesar on the beach to the lady that provides amazing maid service and everyone in between, they are too numerous to mention! I hope they are paid very well for the outstanding service they provide. You will be very happy with ALL aspects of this resort and know we will definitely be back!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shelwoy
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and four days at a Patio Jr. Suite. The room was gorgeous and very private. Loved the double rain showers and the outdoor tub. The water in the tub is cold, but they warn you about that and we didn't mind at all. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The property is laid out in a rectangle from almost the highway to the beach so it is very long and would take about 10 minutes to walk from the lobby to the beach. However, there is a very nice stone cart path that runs along the property that you can walk or catch a ride on a golf cart. The rooms are in little neighborhoods with just a few suites (which feel like private houses) in each neighborhood. The restaurants were good and the service everywhere was excellent. A special shout out to Martina, the concierge. She was fabulous and made our trip even better. We were looking for a romantic getaway and this certainly filled that bill. When we go back to the Caribbean, we will definitely stay here again.

One thing that we wish that we had known about is that Best Day Travel is onsite at the resort each day. We had arranged for an airport transfer and just happened to get them. I wish that we had known about them earlier and we could have also used them for our Talum/Xel-ha trip. They were extremely professional and I would definitely recommend them.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mitzi W
Reviewed January 19, 2014

When I booked this hotel I was quite weary, as I have stayed at all-inclusive resorts before and I hadn’t had the best experiences. I have to say pretty much from the moment we arrived at Blue Diamond any uncertainty I had about an all-inclusive holiday disappeared. The property itself is beautiful and maintained extremely well. It is on a par with the best 5/6 star hotels around. One word of advice I will give is that the resort is quite long i.e. from the reception area at the front of the hotel to the beach is a fair walk so this should be kept in mind when you are deciding on what room type to stay in. We had booked a palafito junior suite which is set a short way back from the beach around the lagoon but ended up staying in a beach front casita which was amazing, definitely the best option at the hotel but significantly more expensive!

The facilities/activities at the hotel were great although I thought the main swimming pool was quite small and the beach wasn’t great for swimming, although this didn’t particularly bother us as our casita had a private plunge pool on the roof! They offered a range of classes, we did the sushi making class which was quite fun!

The food and wine offerings in our opinion were quite good, definitely better than other “all-inclusives” we had visited. My partner and I love food. We love trying different food at different restaurants and have been lucky enough to eat in some really good restaurants around the world. With that said we would never stay here or any other all-inclusive resort and expect that we would get the same quality as we would get in a world-class restaurant. I noticed when I was reading reviews of Blue Diamond before I stayed that some people were quite critical of the food. I will say this we only stayed 4 nights so the fact that there are only two options in the evening for dinner was not a problem for us at all, but I can imagine after a week you may feel quite limited by this. The variety on the menus in my opinion was great and the quality of most of the meals we had was quite good. To explain if you order steak it is cooked well and of good quality, don’t expect you are going to get a steak like you would at CUT or the Palm though. I thought the wine in the restaurants and the drinks at the all the bars were done quite well too. I guess what I am trying to say is that we were impressed but at the same time I don’t want anyone to think they will be eating the same quality of food you would get at Per Se in New York or Le Maurice in Paris! I just thought I should make this clear as people’s reviews of the food and beverage at this resort vary quite a bit. All in all I would not hesitate to stay here again, I really enjoyed the “all inclusive” concept this time and actually found not having to deal with bills and tips all the time really relaxing.

Room Tip: The beachfront casitas are amazing!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Trent1979
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed for 8 days with my husband at their Cenote Laguna Deluxe Junior Suites. We were next to Amber restaurant so it was a easy walk to the beach and all the attractions. The room had a beautiful view of trees and a small lake. Bathroom was my favorite with double sink, the outdoor tub and his/hers showers. I could totally live in that room for months..
Overall the stay was amazing with some small issues..

Here are some of our experiences and tips;
-If you are landing to Cancun, use the AIRPORT TRANSFER with the hotel its makes it so much easier and its only 10$ more than you taking the cab on your own.
-It wasn't a huge resort feel, only few guests since its only 120 rooms and the guests we met during our stay were so elite and kind.
-SPA is amazing! Highly recommend the Blue Diamond exclusive massage it was the best!
-Concierge STAFF is very friendly and they try to make sure that you are enjoying the stay.
-Make sure you sign up for TAMASCAL ceremony we loved it!
-Not all rooms get assigned with BIKES so if you like to cycle around make sure you reserve your bikes from day 1.
-The tours that they offer are pricey and limited but we went to Jungle Maya, Tulum and it was fantastic we enjoyed every second of it. -DO NOT even try the Playa Del Carmen free shopping tour, it was the worst choice we made just avoid that free offer.. I could write a whole page on that ridiculous tour..
-FOOD is a la cart but it was a bit too salty for our taste, the SERVICE was very very bad. The wait times for our food was the worst part of our stay. Every meal it took them over an hour to bring our main dishes they don't have enough staff to support all tables.-Mike Trainee was our favorite guy, he was new but he did a great job with the service and making sure we are happy!
-Even though the reservation says TIPPING included you will find servers bringing your food faster when you give them 3-5$. So bring some singles and change for tipping these guys so you can get better service.
-HOUSEKEEPING came twice very day but it was lame because they wouldn't clean the room until 5pm and then knock on the door at 7pm to do bed time prep. And every day the cleaning got worse and worse, we weren't sure if its because we didn't tip the maid..
-Watch out for those crazy Mosquitos they are everywhere :)

Overall it was a beautiful resort! We will go back and recommend to all our friends..

Room Tip: Try to be closer to Amber and Beach, and try your chances for a free upgrade:)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DOSAMANTE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#61 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!