“Adult Only, QUIET Getaway”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #41 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Dallas, Texas
“Adult Only, QUIET Getaway”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Being a travel agent, I get to visit many resorts throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, so this review is based on comparison rather than personal feelings for a broader perspective.

Upon entry, rustic, open air lobby. Quiet, spa like feeling, greeted with a refreshing drink, truffles and cold towel. Excellent staff to check you in and escort you to your room. There are a few room categories here but I have to say, even the LEAST expensive room is fantastic, view is what you are mainly paying the difference for, although rooms are a little different, same amenities.
Least expensive room is Patio Jr Suite (private small soaker tub outside) which has view of mangroves or called gardenview. Quiet secluded feel. A bit of a walk to the beach but no worries, call the concierge and they will pick you up and drop you off near the boardwalk to cross to the beach. You can walk it, but in the dead of the summer, nice to have a quick lift.
The next room category is CENOTE LAGUNA Deluxe Jr Suite (waterview), these are two story buildings with a cenote view. 2nd Floor is fantastic, although 1st floor is fine as well, I just prefer the panoramic view. Floor-to-ceiling windows, separate bedroom area, oversized bathrooms, private outdoor bathtubs, hammocks, 42 inch HD flat screen TV including home theater system. Beds feature 500 thread linen, other features include 2 rain drop showers, chilled champagne bottle for private welcome toast, pillow menu and do not disturb buttons, view of the Lagoon.

Palafitos Roof Top Terrace Deluxe Rooms - Suspended over the lagoon located near the Aguamarina restaurant, pool and beach area, Palafitos Roof Top Terrace Deluxe are the ideal hideaway with an amazing view of the Mexican Caribbean from their roof top terraces, luxury leather headboards, featuring floor-to-ceiling windows, seperate bedroom area, oversized bathrooms, private outdoor bathtubs, 42 inch HD flat screen TV including home theater system, open to spacious balconies or terraces. Beds feature 500 thread linen, other features include 1 rain drop shower, chilled champagne bottle for private welcome toast, pillow menu and do not disturb buttons.
PICTURE below is of what is included in fridge in your room!

NO swim up pool bar here, just a large rectangular pool with of course pool servers and a pool next to it where you can swim against the current, more of an exercise pool.

DINING: Gourmet for sure, no reservations required, even ala carte for breakfast or lunch as well of course for dinner.

BEACH: Size of beach changes throughout the year, it was quite narrow in January but a storm was coming through. Larger in the summer time.

One more thing, they currently charge $10.00 each time you order room service, this is something they are thinking of changing.

Email me if you have more questions, I have great contacts at this resort!

Room Tip: ALL rooms are spectacular, view is what is the main difference.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonnaLSTRAVEL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Before I get to critical I must say first state that the staff was excellent, friendly, courteous and helpful. It's the little details that I find troubling some things management can change some obviously not.
The resort:
The property is very narrow and long. Recently stayed in the 214-220 block of rooms its almost a mile walk to the beach and .65 miles to Ambar. They do provide bicycles and run golf carts to shuttle you to beach and restaurants. The spa is located directly behind reception which is very close to the road and quite possibly you will here the road noise in your treatment rooms.
Restaurant-dining:
There are 2 restaurants for dinner both are very good overall food quality was very good. Breakfast service at Aquamarine was off, one day we waited 15 minutes for the first cup of coffee.
Aquamarine lunch menu was varied and quality very good.
Had room service one evening and service was very prompt.
Antonio our waiter for three nights at he Ambar was professional, friendly and ver accommodating.
Beach area:
Beach is small compared to other resorts in the Riviera Maya area? Pool area is also small and rather congested.
Bathrooms closet to beach frequently had no hand towels available.
Rooms:
Rooms are spacious "oversized" The bathroom had an outside tub but I would not classify this a a true tub more like a mini spa without the jets also another problem was that it could only be filled with cold water, what was management thinking?
Beds very comfortable
Air conditioning was very effective.
Stayed 4 nights and had evening turn down service just two nights. Turn down service should be provided every evening.

Room Tip: Book a room in the 300-400 block it will be a shorter walk to beach, restaurants and will lessen the...
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I got a Living Social deal so was able to do the all-inclusive package.

If the experience is the same as what I was when I did this last Xmas holiday time, I'd definitely come back.

Everyone is friendly. Food was great. Room was great - spacious, clean. Spa was great - clean and VERY friendly staff. My favorite is the spa! I went to visit the spa every night before dinner time. They let you use the spa amenities for free if you're a guest. LOVE! I hope they don't take that service away. Check out time was at 11am but the receptionist found out that our flight isn't til late afternoon, so they let us stay longer / later check out. We still got to use the pool and eat with out all-inclusive package. LOVE!

I hope they keep this up - if nothing changes from the way it was from December 2012, then I'm coming back for sure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Where to start? This all-inclusive private resort was just what we needed. Though we initially were going to upgrade upon arrival, we chose to stay in one of the Laguna Junior Suites and loved it! From the bamboo hardwood to marble flooring from the dual rainforest showers to private loft overlooking the laguna, it was just perfect. The only thing to note is that the private outdoor tub in the Laguna Suites (cant speak to the others) can only be filled by the staff and they don't fill it with hot water, so make sure you are ok with showers only or come when it is very hot, so a cool bath will feel great. For us the showers were just fine. The Laguna Suites were only about 1/4 mile walk from the beach, which was great for us to talk and walk through this garden of eden. The landscaping on the stone/paver path to the beach and throughout the resort made everything feel so private and lush. A daily stocked minibar with beverages and snacks were a nice touch, but honestly we didn't use them much as we would take advantage of all the inclusive meals and beverages at the restaurants and at the beach. There was just the right selection of menu items between the different restaurants for a week stay and the food was never boring; we enjoyed the artistry and taste of it all.

Some unexpected things: even though checkout was at noon, the concierge stored our luggage and let us eat one final "inclusive" meal and enjoy the beach till our taxi arrived to take us to the airport. We were never harassed by vendors on the beach (only saw 2) and the staff always kept the beach clean and available for activities. We walked up and down the beach and found Blue Diamond's beach to be the best...I wonder why Trip Advisor rated Mayakoba's higher? We had the most sand, the cleanest beachfront, and a private dock. We never had anyone try to pitch a timeshare with us though I did see others visiting Blue Diamond that were looking at timeshares.

Items to note: if you want to save some money, pick up a taxi outside the resort...just tell security at the gate (not the front desk) where you are going and walk across the road. We spent $50 pesos for a taxi to take us to Playa Del Carmen. However, because we didn't tell the taxi driver that took us back to the resort that he could drop us off outside the gate, it cost $15USD and he dropped us off inside the resort at the front desk. I think the resort collects a portion of all fares that depart from or arrive within the resort, hence the higher price. I think that is the same with any resort in the Cancun area. We also arranged for the taxi driver that took us to Playa to take us to the airport for our departure. Rather than pay $100USD, we only paid $400 pesos. Also, we came at the end of November and mosquitos were not that bad at all. The resort includes bug spray with your room if that is a concern. Also, be sure to book snorkeling and kayaking for earlier in the day if there is a breeze, so you can do it. The couples that were booked after us could not go due to the breeze. Lastly, even though it was an all-inclusive, we made sure to tip and saw others do the same. Just by waiter response $50 pesos for a meal tip seemed to be the right amount to get priority service. That said, all the staff seemed to be willing to provide great service whether you tipped them or not.

Room Tip: In order of proximity from the beach you have beach-front casitas, palafito suites, laguna suites, a...
2 Thank Aaronellsworth
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We are well traveled and have visited 27 different resorts in The Riviera Maya, including Grand Velas, Several Dreams and Secrets, The Royal Hideaway (excellent) the former Ceiba Del Mar, etc- (along with many budget resorts) The Blue Diamond beat them all - even in a week of solid rain. We managed to squeeze in an hour or two of sun- but if I enjoyed it this much in the rain- can you imagine how wonderful it is in good weather?

The splendor of the rooms really made the stay for us. I loved the hardwood floors over all the tile we are used to. The sheer size of the room and design was like a private home. The only downside to the room was no inside tub and we didn't use the outside tub due to the weather. Also the rain showers were not optimal as the hand held wasn't working and it was near impossible to shower without getting drenched. And..........amenities for a resort of this caliber could be better (shampoos/soaps/lotions)

However--------champagne in every room, and 4 bottles of premium liquor, plus an ample mini bar, not to mention the FREE international calls, plus a total working room. I cannot tell you how many 5 star resorts we have stayed in that had AC problems, no free Wi-Fi, and surly staff.

The bed was the MOST COMFORTABLE I have ever slept in - better than mine and I have quite the "cave" at home. Walk in closet, nice sitting area - well I can go on and on - but I loved this room and cannot wait to return.

Food - excellent. Drinks- excellent. Service- excellent- though I agree that breakfast needs to take it up a notch. Also, for some reason, no one approached us for drink orders at the pool - that's ok - I had already made great friends with the bartenders and they were happy to see me and my tips - both at the snack bar and Javier (fantastic) at the pool bar. Nice plusses at this resort are free use of the spa amenities (steam room- thalassotherapy pool-sauna)

We were told the bikes were only for the oceanfront suites, though many had bikes around our room. It was ok - the golf cart service was very efficient and we only waited once, the night it was downpouring. We didn't mind the walk when it was not raining. Be sure to tour the property as the cenote is lovely and the "Yards of Art" are worth a look.

I cannot say enough about the wonderful staff. Ask and they will deliver. The concierges were wonderful. Check in/check out - wonderful. This is my perfect resort. It may not suit all. There is not much for entertainment and it is quiet. The pool is small but that does not seem to be a problem. The beach is narrow, but excellent. I didn't encounter any rocks in the ocean and found it a very nice ocean to swim and float in. There are some, but past the point of wading. For me, great beach! As travelers know, some beaches are awful in this area. I want to give a special thanks to the following: Ceasar, Roberto, Dagoberto (waiters) Beach Butlers, Elias and Raoul and my favorite bar tender at the snack bar Lucio and Javier of course. No one ever gave me the impression they expected a tip (but of course we tip and they really do appreciate it).

I cannot wait to return and hopefully it won't rain next time. We were in Villa 424. PERFECT!!

Oh - and the best makeup sitting area ever! Excellent Hairdryer in a box! Good make up mirror but no way to get that hair "back view" Great personal space for the ladies.

Room Tip: The Villas on the walkway would be preferable to the courtyard villas. These villas have no stairs...
2 Thank lazygal
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

The Blue Diamond is one of the BEST All Inclusive Resorts I've ever stayed in! We were treated like royalty to ENTIRE TIME! The staff is Impeccable and the Resort is Out of this World! Pristine Beaches! Not to mention the FOOD!! I've never eaten food like this at an All Inclusive Resort.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LeaKMiller
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

The pros:
- excellent staff....Raul - bellboy, Cesar & Prisciliano in the Aquamarina restaurant...Luis too, Mahoney in the Am bar, Omar in concierge...the list could go on. Everyone was friendly and accommodating from the moment we arrived
- gym/spa...great, up to date equipment and area. I recommend the spa pool if you want to be away from the busy beach pool and noise, we laid out there a couple of days and just read by the pool
- wifi everywhere if you want to stay connected
- quiet, peaceful, exceptionally well maintained grounds
- food...we only had one less than stellar meal experience (I recommend tipping a few dollars at meals and beach service, they will be much more attentive for you and grab whatever you need)
- room...clean, well maintained each day
- yoga class and instructor were great
- no kids makes this so quiet and the way the resort is laid out makes it just tranquil and relaxing

Cons:
- $20 charge for room service...get rid of this or change the hours for this charge
- beach chairs are tight and not enough on the beach...get there early to claim your spot

I will definitely return to this resort and stay longer. We were here for 6 days and it was great. If you can get a room on the lagoon or cenote i recommend that.
Bring dollars for tipping.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CW22311
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!