“Amazing Little Piece of Paradise!!”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #36 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having just returned home from spending 6 days at the Blue Diamond, I can say that our small group thoroughly enjoyed this quaint deluxe resort. The trip exceeded our expectations at every level from the quality of the beach to the a la carte restaurants and accompanying service; no matter where we ate, the staff was attentive, polite and very welcoming. The meals were exquisitely presented while the quality and choice was exceptional.

The beach at the Blue Diamond is by far the most beautiful and best maintained in the area. We spent the majority of our time there where Cesar and Julio provided exceptional service and top quality refreshments and snacks.

The holiday was accentuated by waking refreshed each morning to the sound of birds singing and enjoying a morning espresso with one of the resident iguanas. Absolute paradise!! The rooms were spacious, minimal and very clean. The housekeeping staff were respectful, and faithfully cleaned and replenished the rooms throughout the day.

We preferred to walk to most of our resort destinations although the transportation staff were more than happy to offer a ride on their golf cart shuttles as they passed. The Concierge's were very happy to see to our needs no matter how minimal the request.

We are already looking forward to our next trip to the Blue Diamond Resort.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wendy S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

My fiancee and I did a last minute weekend getaway to the Blue Diamond and couldn't be happier with our weekend. The rooms were amazing, they are all private 2 story villas overlooking a lagoon or private villas right on the beach. There is a bit of a walk to the beach and breakfast/lunch but it was a really nice walk down a beautiful forested path. The beach area isn't huge but is kept in pristine condition, and the pool is fabulous, clean, comfortable overlooking the ocean. The food is very good all around, We especially liked the very fresh ceviche bar right on the ocean and Ambar, the formal dinner restaurant was very good as well. Everything was very fresh and for an all-inclusive the food was great, as were the drinks! The service was much better than I had expected. Everyone was very friendly, efficient and helpful. The golfcart shuttle all around the resort is a very nice perk incase you don't want to take the 10 minute walk home. Our wait staff at dinner each night was very friendly and fun, and they were very accommodating to us when we asked if we could eat and watch the superbowl in the one restaurant that wasn't open for dinner (it had the only TV in a dining area). Overall we had a wonderful, romantic quick getaway and will definitely can't wait to go back for longer!

Room Tip: the villas on the beach look amazing if you want to spend the money.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank elissa r
Reviewed February 5, 2013

From the minute we arrived in the breathtaking open-air lobby area until we were happily settled into our room I think the words "paradise" may have escaped our lips over a dozen times. Our jaws dropped as we were shown around our Lagoon Suite (where the bathroom alone is bigger than the living room in our NYC apartment).

I should start this by saying if you're looking for a party hotel with constant entertainment and loud people and a "scene" this is not for you. If you are looking to escape everything and hear the sounds of ocean waves and jungle birds, enjoy ceviche on the beach with a book and quiet 5-course meals by a backlit lagoon in the jungle then this is the place you're looking for.

Either Mexico's weather people aren't very good or else this place is just in any area where the weather can suddenly change in an instant right there and not in the surrounding areas because often times the forecast for the area would say it would be a sunny day or even that it was currently sunny but we got a fair amount of rain and sudden downpours (about 80% of the trip was cloudy or rainy). Even with the occasional bad weather in the area this time of year this resort is so relaxing and tranquil. There are no huge looming buildings or loud bright bustling lobbies, no children running around screaming or peeing in the pool, no buffets, no elevators to wait for - it basically felt like you lived in your own little private jungle villa in a quiet neighborhood off a private winding path connecting you with the beach.

I saw some other people's complaints on here I wanted to address. Some people had said the beach was too windy. I've been to hundreds of beaches in my travels and I would surmise to say 95% of them are pretty windy. There is actually a scientific reason for this involving the cool air in the water and the hot air above ground - it's not that this being a bad beach or a bad location. Some said the beach was rocky or has too much seaweed. There does seem to be about 5 feet of an area with medium-sized (but smooth) rocks you need to walk past to really get out into the water but once you're there the sand under your feet is so smooth it's almost clay-like and on the whole this was less rocky than any American beach I have ever been to and many island beaches as well. As far as seaweed, this is the sea. Again it is unavoidable. It comes and goes with storms and currents and as far as I know there is not a beach in the world which does not have days where seaweed washes up. Regardless of this, the resort had someone out on the beach every day raking the seaweed and rocks that would occasionally wash up and 90% of the time the waters were tranquil and clear turquoise blue. We got in the water many times and it was incredibly warm, even in January.

Someone said something in a review about a lizzard being in their room. We had one in our room at one point too (because we were constantly leaving our giant sliding glass doors open to enjoy the fresh air and breeze). Its the jungle, isn't that sort of the point of staying in a natural place like this? If you're not comfortable with the possibility of a tiny little lizzard possibly crawling up on to your gigantic private terrace and coming into your open door then maybe you should go stay in some mega-mall type place with a mammoth building, a staff of 700 and an elevator and a 35th floor room because this is not that place.

The staff were all amazing - I am terrible with names and wish I could remember to mention their names on here but there wasn't a single person we encountered who was any less than incredibly helpful and pleasant. Yoga was cancelled on the day we signed up for it but we did do the Temezcal ceremony and although there were times it was pretty intense and I questioned whether I could finish it, in the end I did and felt like I had achieved something great that I will never forget.

A few people on here mentioned that it was a nuisance that you have to ask the hotel staff to fill up your outdoor roman tub 30 minutes in advance. True, they do tell you that if you want to use it you should call them to fill it but guess what, it's just set up like a normal tub. If you want to use it my best suggestion is that you push the plug down, turn the water on, fill it, and use it! I used it 3 times (without the staff filling it for me) and it was fantastic. We always had hot water in our showers as well - sometimes it fluctuated and it wasn't the hottest water, but really not a big deal.

Our single only complaint would be that the bed was incredibly loud. We didn't sleep that restfully because any time one of us so much as moved our arm the bed made a huge creaking sound and would wake the other one up. We had great blackout curtains, perfect climate control (you have to make sure all doors in your room and bathroom that go to the outside are shut or else the A/C won't come on), adjustable ambient mood lighting available on every fixture in every corner of the room, and 3 sets of doors/rooms between the main room and the bathroom (which I appreciate for privacy when using the bathroom).

The food was top-notch. People saying they were expecting more Mexican food is like someone coming to America and saying they were expecting more hot dogs and hamburgers. It's not like all Mexicans eat are tacos and burritos. The food had a heavy Mayan/Mexican influence with lots of fresh squeezed juices in creative varieties, I saw the use of pumpkin many times, fresh fish was always an active part of every menu, as was avocado, jalapeno, corn, fresh cilantro and many other obvious "Mexican" flavors mixed with various pastas, steaks, and even a Mexican pizza option one night (which as an NY-er might I say was surprisingly delicious). As everyone else has mentioned, the breakfasts were truly the stand out meal - very fresh with multiple courses and so many options (the coffee is so good too!).

There was hardly anyone in the hotel when we were there - it was rare to see anyone in the pool or hot tub at the same time you were and most of the time we felt like we had the beach to ourselves. We were so thrilled with our stay (even with the constant rain) that we're already saving up to come back. I sort of wish they sold condos so I could just live there.

Room Tip: Lagoon Suites seem to be the same building style/layout and options as the Cenote Suites but the Cen...
13  Thank Heather D
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of friends that referred us, that had stayed here when it was a Mandarin Oriental. We were unsure if the service had been maintained and it was exceptional!

From check in (where there offer you free international calls) to check out (where they drive you to the airport) it was a dream. They drive you to your villa in a golf cart and they were easy to access and didn't take long to come when you wanted to move.

The room was beautiful, what a view of the cenote! They had upgraded us which was nice surprise. There were ants in the bathroom that grossed me out but after they were taken care of they didn't come back.

The pool area is stunning and the food is delicious. Room service and the restaurants. The concierge was so nice and would call to remind you to make a reservation. I was ill one day and they would call to see if I needed anything which was very nice.

The pool and the beach is stunning. The crowd is cool and the atmosphere was perfect for us.

We would venture to Playa town at night and its a short trip but getting a cab took up to 45 minutes so order it waaaaay in advance!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone I know.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank K C
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Being direct in my comments, I recommend.
We had some problems that I will tell. They have some bicycles for guests' use. There could be more, which would be useful for optimizing the use of golf carts. I´ve stayed in hotels where the sunscreen was given free, they could do the same, it is a simple kindness.
Our air conditioning was not working properly, the control seemed broken, which did not prevent to cool the room, but could not control the temperature, which was reported on the day we arrived and until the day we left unsolved.
For a whole day we were without hot water. Warned us of the problem, we understand, but could have offered something for the inconvenience, as credit at the spa or something.
I think the most important thing missing in the room is na efficient blackout to avoid us being awakened by the Sun. The hotel's website is not very good, could be improved. We saw that there were amennities of Bulgari, which was not true. One day in the pool in the late afternoon was no towels, which seemed a serious error, especially in time when they are needed.
good points: The hotel itself is great, the staff are fantastic, the food is very good, as are the drinks. The fact of being a la carte food is really great. The dishes are well made and delicious The cleanliness of the rooms and throughout the hotel. The ability to make international calls for free.
Special thanks to Omar and Jose, who helped us with tickets for David Guetta. Dagoberto, Christian, Joseph and Atila were always polite and served us well in the pool bar and in the lobby for Jesus, always smiling and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with bikes, they will be helpful.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Gusta1979
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the BD for 3 nights and had a great time - it was her birthday. Have stayed at many 4 and 5 star all inclusive resorts in the past and the food here was very good comparatively speaking...especially breakfast and lunch and had a high end liquor/beer selection to boot! We had a minor maintenance issue with our 1st room but was fixed quickly and because it wasn't busy, we were upgraded to a suite on the beach. Overall the rooms and grounds are beautiful and the staff couldn't be friendlier. Everyone that I informed about my wife's bday tried to make it as memorable as possible...especially Jose - thanks Jose. If you are looking for a smaller boutique, adults only all inclusive, this is a great option and good value. My only gripe was the additional charge for room service and the spa prices seemed a little high. We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: If its not busy, request an upgrade.
2  Thank Chris O
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was at the Blue Diamond a few weeks ago and loved it!
Pros:
- the premises are beautiful and the gardens luxuriant
- the rooms are very spacious, clean, and extremely well decorated
- the swimming pool area (my favorite), has 3 pools: a cold, a warm and a hot one
- the restaurants are beautiful and the food is very good
- the service is excellent (staff comes twice a day in your room to clean it)
- it's very well located, close to playa del carmen village
Fortunately, I have no cons for this hotel!
Definitely a must if you like classy and luxurious places for your vacation.

1  Thank Sarah_Travel_World