“Beautiful, quiet getaway”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #39 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in January 2013. The resort is beautiful and well maintained.

The service was great - very friendly and accomodating.

The food was fine - we were not expecting 5-star gourmet food and we thought it was fine.
Breakfast - probably the best meal, lots of options, lots of juices.
Lunch - we typically ate lunch at the pool (would bring us food to our chairs --- we were on vacation!).
Dinner: Was the food amazing!? No. Was it bad? Not at all. Did they try? Very much so - there was typically live music, the waitstaff acts like it is fine dining, there was typically some amose-bouche presented, etc. Overall, we thought dinner was nice.

I liked that it was quiet and pretty empty, though there were not a lot of activities going on (there are some though, and Omar and team were helpful in going through everything).

There is about a 7 min walk from our room to the pool/beach - we would usually walk and almost always had a cart drive by to ask if we wanted a ride.

The wife went to the spa and gym and thought both were nice. I spent lots of time by the pool, it was very nice. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

1  Thank Barry S

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here only for 1 night during my work trip and it really wasn't enough. It all started with the arrival. We were greeted at the front lobby by Ricardo (the property manager), where he provided us with a very thorough inspection of the grounds. This has got to be one of the most breath-taking properties I have ever seen. Check in was smooth and Ricardo surprised the group of 15 of us by saying that for this night - all of us would have our own suites. (Having a roommate is nice but it was amazing to be able to have a night of relaxtion in a king bed.) This is a smaller property (room wise) but the grounds are large. The rooms, I have honestly never seen anything so amazing. Walking into my room, seeing the large walk in closet, the oversized bathroom with outdoor bathtub, the huge bedroom with 2 walls of glass to see the view outside (I had the laguna view - and wouldn't have asked for anything else). Another perk to travelling with Transat holidays was the unlimited wifi in the room and the unlimited calls to Canada and the United States (made it great to be able to call my boyfriend and my parents to let them know how I was doing.) After unpacking, I met up with a few friends to take a walk on the grounds - I would suggest renting the bikes, as walking takes a super long time. After the little stroll, I headed back to the room to get ready for dinner - the his and hers showers in my room were in the same area, where some rooms were seperated by a walkway, I had them both on and stood in there for an hour at least. After getting ready Ricardo had set up a predinner cocktail where we met on the rooftop patio and had drinks and were able to smoke the hookah (which is just flavoured herbal shisha). After the drinks, Ricardo escorted our group to the Ambar restuarant where we had an amazing dinner. I have never tested such perfetly cooked food in my life. Even though the menu was preset - this time I did find something I liked and it was presented beautifully.

For the money, this resort is worth it. I could have spent my whole week at this resort and I would have been happy.

This would be great for honeymooners, as well as couples juts looking for a luxurious, quiet vacation where they can get their own privacy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank sammiiii
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We took two of our kids 18 & 19 along for a long weekend at riviera maya, and returned just this evening. I researched where to stay endlessly. Great beach, adults only, noo cheesy pool games or Vegas music at the pool, excellent food and drinks key. We were thrilled with BD! The pix and reviews do not approximate the beauty, pristine suites and grounds. The food was 4 star quality; as others mentioned an expanded specials menu and alternating daily menu would be well received. Nice top shelf liquors and wine; though hardly an extensive list. Loved having bikes to get to the pool, beach, and restaurant. Exc service especially front desk ladies, Federico, Roman, and Cesar. We shall be back and can't wait!!

Room Tip: Upgraded to patio rooms to accommodate our daughters, very nice and much appreciated. We had Laguna...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank skikandy
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I love Riviera Maya, Mexico. We've been there 5 times in the last two years for vacations. Each time we've selected a new resort to try, ultimately looking for the perfect place to return several times a year. We were very excited to try Blue Diamond since it was originally the Mandarin Oriental - so we knew the property would be beautiful and well maintained.

Property:
Of the other 5-star resorts we've stayed at (including Grand Velas and Zoetry) Blue Diamond had the best beach to swim by far. It was great open water, smooth sand, some waves, crystal clear. The beach itself was also nicely maintained and groomed. You could be in a group or find privacy in chairs separated from the main area.

Service:
The first day we arrived the reception was perfect - on time airport pick up, friendly driver, efficient check in, they provided great information and gave us a thorough tour of the property. Our first morning we had some trouble finding service on the beach, but that was quickly remedied by the arrival of Cesar. Cesar provided exceptional service. He went out of his way to make sure each guest on the beach was comfortable and had everything they could ever need or want. He went above and beyond to find us chairs, an umbrella for shade, anything we wanted for lunch and any drinks we wanted throughout the day. He was kind, professional and attentive.

The Dive Shop:
My husband has been SCUBA diving before and loves it (but wasn't certified). I have always wanted to, but been too nervous to even try it. We've gone to dive shops at other resorts in Mexico before, but I still was not quite sure. But this time, at Blue Diamond, we went down to the dive shop and met Sarah and I immediately felt at ease and ready to give it a try! Sarah helped my husband and I get certified in just a couple short sessions. She was professional, constantly focused on safety and very knowledgeable about SCUBA diving techniques and skills. She was also very fun to be around and made the pool sessions and skill practices enjoyable for the both of us. We had private sessions that she organized to accommodate our vacation schedules. She knew we were on vacation so she arranged for early pool sessions and open water dives so that we still had most of the day to relax or explore. On our first dive the current was strong and I was nervous, but she took control of the situation, made us both aware of how the current would feel and kept us relaxed - and we were able to complete our skills with no problem at all! I didn't want to get out of the water! Sarah also knew the reefs well. So she was able to point out lots of sea life that I would have otherwise missed - we saw Lion Fish, HUGE eels, lobsters, huge schools of fish and a sea turtle. Now certified my husband and I are ready to go back to Mexico and spend most of the time under water!

Food:
Before talking about the food, I would also like to make a special note about Roman, our dinner waiter. Roman served us each night at the restaurant overlooking the ocean. He was excellent. He was attentive, polite and did a great job talking us through the menus and our options. We thank him for making the dinners relaxing and enjoyable.

While the service was good, the food was not. In the six nights we were there, we tried each restaurant, and a variety of dishes and overall did not enjoy the food. It's understandable that "French night" would not compare to a NYC or Boston French Bistro, but we expected the more traditional Mexican cuisine to be better. The sauces tasted canned or reheated, many of the dishes seemed frozen and then microwaved. The presentation was very lovely, so we were surprised when the food did not deliver. Overall we would give the food a C-.

Overall it’s a beautiful resort, the staff was helpful, the dive shop is AWESOME and the beach is great. But the food is not anywhere close to the other true 5 star resorts in Riviera Maya.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank mainedog
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We just got back from a 7 night stay in Riviera Maya. We split our stay between the Blue Diamond and the Banyan Tree. What surprised us the most was that the Blue Diamond ended up being the highlight of our stay and not the Banyan Tree. It far surpassed our experience at the Banyan Tree which was plagued with service mistakes, food poisoning and worn rooms.. not to mention being full with a convention.
We arranged the car service through the hotel and we had a seamless arrival to the hotel. The lobby is calming and beautiful. We were offered a drink and then taken by golf cart to our room.
We stayed in a ground floor Laguna suite and it was beautiful! We loved the bright and airy bathroom, view out to the Laguna and the wonderful bed! Everything was in perfect condition.. no wear and tear! We loved the location of the Laguna suites as they are walking distance to the beach, and Ambar restaurant. We walked through the property and much preferred these rooms to the Patio suites and the suites on the lagoon by the beach which didn't have much privacy. The rooms on the beach look to be worth the splurge!

The hotel was a bit slow while we were there but we found this as a positive. The service we received was unbelievable! Fernando, Prisciliano, Jose and everyone at the Aquamarina restaurant took such great care of us. Our drinks were constantly filled and we found breakfast and lunch to be delicious! The dinners were good but not great. Some items at dinner were delicious and some were just good. Like others have noted, we preferred the meals at Aquamarina over Ambar. However Ambar was a beauftiful setting!

We went to check out the spa and it was beautiful! A great space although we didn't have treatments. We heard from other guests that they were great!

One final comment as many have stated the main pool is not heated. It is probably about 80 degrees but felt so refreshing. The lap pool was probably about 88 degrees so if you didn't want to brave the unheated pool you could use that pool. We actually liked the music by the pool as welll as it made it even more relaxing!

If you want to have a relaxing, luxurious, stress free vacation stay at the Blue Diamond and avoid the Banyan Tree!

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room in the Laguna section on the first floor. They are larger than the second f...
1  Thank NYC10001
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed for one week with the Blue Diamond as a trip with my mother to celebrate my finishing my service in the Army. Everything at this resort exceeded our expectations. The atmosphere was soo relaxing, the rooms spacious and beautiful, and the staff was always on point. They constantly made you feel like you were the most important person at the resort.

The food at all the restaurants was amazing. Nothing short of five star quality, amazing presentation , and not a single meal that didn't taste absolutely delicious. If eating at the Aguamarina make sure to ask for Daniel! He was an amazing server with wonderful personality and always explained what the delicious items on our plates were.

The beach area was amazing and the service down on the beach as well.

I plan on going back every year that I can!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank ScubaJessica
Reviewed January 14, 2013

All was perfect! Stayed in BD in the beginning of January 2013 for three nights. The hotel is amazing. In my opinion better then Banyan Tree or Rosewood which are both near. The spa is nice. The food is excellent. Good selection of cigars and wines. Perfect view from the suites.

I recommend the laguna view suite as it is close to the beach/breakfast, dinner and smoking lounge. The price is also OK.

3  Thank Dmitry T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!