“Amazing & luxurious all inclusive resort!”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #49 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Atlanta, Georgia
“Amazing & luxurious all inclusive resort!”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful 4-night stay here! It was the one of a kind all-inclusive thing - not cheesy and cheap, but generous, a la carte food and high quality. The resort wasn't very busy that time we visited, but they had plenty of staff. The service was amazing. There was nothing more you could have asked for, and they seemed to read the wishes from our eyes. It is great place if you are traveling without kids and don't need to be around other guests' kids - it's an adult only resort! Our suite was very spacious and also modern, as was the style of the entire resort. The spa and the gym are so too, with the best equipment and spa services. The two different restaurants for dinner changed their menu daily, so there were new choices every night. Everything was wonderful - we'd love to come back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We just returned from a 4-night stay at the Blue Diamond Riviera Maya, and I can say without any hesitation that it was the nicest resort experience we have ever enjoyed. First, a few thoughts about the facility itself. The resort is quite large, and by my estimation, it takes a good 10 minutes to walk from one end to the other at a brisk clip. Fortunately, there is an endless parade of electric golf carts that zoom up and down the main path and the staff constantly ask if you need a ride anywhere. The grounds are pristinely manicured, and there isn't a single piece of litter to be found anywhere. We had a lagoon-side junior suite which was about mid-way from the lobby to the beach. Instead of trying to describe the room, I'll just post some pictures with this review and let them do the talking. In short, it was every bit as nice and luxurious as it looks in the pictures. The bathroom alone was easily larger than some apartments we've lived in in New York City.

Now, about the beach. After walking up and down about a mile in each direction away from the hotel, it was pretty obvious to us that this area of the peninsula is facing some major sand erosion issues. The Blue Diamond property's beach is fairly narrow, but compared to that of some other resorts within walking distance, it was head and shoulders above. Some of the other resorts within a short walk basically had NO beach to speak of. Large sandbags had been placed to protect further erosion, but that left absolutely no room for any chairs or umbrellas on their beachfront area. The Blue Diamond resort is either actively managing their beach erosion better than others, or they are luckily situated in a better location that's less actively eroding. At any rate, suffice it to say that the Blue Diamond beach was quite lovely, especially when you consider how the neighboring properties are faring.

Now, as nice as the facilities and the beach were, the real stars of the show here are the staff. I don't think I have ever seen more attentive, friendly and unobtrusive service at any resort I've stayed at. I found it pretty amazing that almost everyone we spoke to knew us by name and bent over backwards to assist us with anything we needed. Every single member of staff that we saw (from groundskeepers to housekeeping staff to the bell captain to the restaurant staff) smiled a genuine smile and said hello to us each and every time we walked by. We had a special wedding anniversary dinner at the Aguamarina restaurant one night and felt totally pampered by our server, Daniel, and Aracely, the hostess. They were incredibly accommodating and were basically the reason we kept going back there for breakfast, lunch and dinner the rest of our stay.
In short, everyone we encountered was incredibly courteous, gracious and made us feel welcomed.

Was everything absolutely perfect? No, but the issues we encountered were pretty trivial. Really, the only thing that even registered as a minor annoyance was that the hot water in our room had to run for about 10 (yes, ten) minutes straight before it warmed up enough for a shower. We also couldn't get the sound on our TV to work for the first 3 days. Mysteriously, on the 3rd day, a new remote control showed up in the room (without our asking or mentioning anything), and it was fine after that. We don't even care to watch TV on vacation, but we had one rainy day, and after exhausting all the other indoor activities, we still had a couple of hours to kill. It would have been nice to be able to flip through the channels. Lastly, we also couldn't help but notice some deferred maintenance, particularly with the Aguamarina restaurant's outdoor seating area where the weather has taken its toll on the exterior. There was quite a bit of rusted and cracked surfaces, but hey, just keep your eyes on the beautiful view straight ahead instead of at the ceiling and you'll never be bothered by it.

10 years from now when the details of the trip will have faded, I'm fairly certain the impression that was left on us by the staff of Blue Diamond will stay with us. More than anything else at this resort, the people are what made the stay special for us. Luxury isn't just a nice room or a pretty view or good food. It's fanatically dedicated customer service that defines luxury.

Room Tip: Because of the size of the property, make sure you borrow a free bike to get around. Most of the ro...
1 Thank DMDC
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I hate to give Blue Diamond a poor review, because my new wife and I had a magnificent 4 days there. The beach, amenities, food, room, and boutique, small, all-suite theme were spectacular. It was certainly the nicest of the properties along that strip of beach. The staff may have been the best part because you could tell they were all proud to be there and loved their jobs. Unfortunately, our memory of the trip is sullied by Circle One. Blue Diamond's parent company is a program where one can pay a monthly price to be a member of various global luxury properties. We were talked into listening to a "90-minute" sales pitch, which turned into a horrific 2.5 hours of uncomfortable persistence and near-interrogation about our reasons for not signing up. We tried to brush the terrible morning under a rug, and spend the promised $120 credit on a massage (which was nice.) Incredibly, despite our multiple inquiries that the credit would, in fact, be given (it wasn't showing up on our balance,) we were not given the credit. Now one month and several more e-mail assurances later, they have still failed to resolve their error. Too bad we have such a poor after taste from such an otherwise great resort.

Bottom line: go there! Just don't be tempted by the sales pitch.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Andrew60933
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Before booking our trip we looked at several resorts in Riviera Maya and found very good comments on the Blue Diamond. I think most reviews are pretty much accurate so I will try not to repeat the same comments. I will go to the point; everything was exactly as advertised and described so we definitely recommend if you can afford it, Although we had minor disappointments (We never found a perfect place so far but the Blue Diamond comes very close).

We stayed there from November 11 until November 18, 2012 and we loved this place. We’ve been to Riviera Maya 4 times and couple of times in other Caribbean sites and this is our preferred place so far, although I have to say it has been the most expensive one as well. This resort is a real 5 stars. The hotel was 50% occupied and the service was excellent, but I wonder if they would keep up at 80-100% occupation rate? Future review in February/March will give us the answer.

Reason you should go there:
Food delicious and amazing
Great site, SPA & Gym and spacious rooms for lodging
Chairs at the beach and pool are always available (no morning reservation by people anxious to get good spots) and very comfortable
You want to relax and stay low profile

Reason not to go:
You are single and looking to meet single people
You like discotheques and nightlife
You like large crowded swimming pools with loud music and animation
You like to heat in buffet and have the choice of several different restaurants.

2 Thank Fabrice O
Halifax. NS
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We just returned from a 7 night stay at Blue Diamond, and I have to say that out of the 12 times I have been in Cancun/Maya I will most definitely return to this place. (All of our stays have been at boutique 5 start properties) As everyone else has stated in their reviews this place is perfect in so many ways! We stayed in room 357, a Patio Suite, and it was lovely, although a little far from the beach. The only comment on the room is that the outdoor bathtub/plunge pool was not as we expected and it is not very useful. You have to call someone to fill it up for you, and even though we requested hot water, the water was room temperature. Next time we return we will go for the Palafito room with an upstairs patio.

The food was awesome, although we preferred Aquamarine to Ambar. Breakfasts A++, Lunch A++ (we often ordered from both the ceviche menu and Aquamarine for lunch as there were things on both that we just couldn't get enough of), Dinners were a A. Service was best at breakfast, lunch, the pool/beach, but sometimes lacked at night for dinner and I felt that they may need more staff on for the evening rush. One evening for our anniversary Victor the concierge arranged for a special 6 course meal in our room, we had the opportunity to choose our menu and the chef created the most amazing meal for us. They had a personal server in our room for our full meal, and I must say it was VERY SPECIAL!

I have never been to a hotel in Mexico where the attitude of the employees was so great! Everyone smiles and tries 100% to go out of their way to help and assist you. Everything comes with a response ~ "My Pleasure". Just lovely and so respectful.

I don't want to repeat was so many other travelers have said in the past but I want to recognize the following employees that made our stay so SPECIAL and we will remember for years to come. These employees are the reason we will return to this gem of a hotel!

~ Caesar #1 (he was the first Caesar to work there): This guy is the HARDEST most efficient server I have ever met in my life. He actually would run down the beach to fetch our drinks and food, and would bend over backwards to make you happy and feel special. Blue Diamond Management: This guy deserves many gold stars, you have a GEM!

~ Omar (server at Aquamarine and Ambar)....such an amazing personality and he always made us smile and feel so warm. He worked so hard every time her served us, but always did it with such joy. I will miss his antics forsure!

~ Fernando (AKA Italian in disguise) he was so precise with his cappuccino and lattes and was always made sure they were made perfect! He is one of the sweetest, kindest men I have met in a long time, and a smile that is just contagious. We feel in love with him, and enjoyed him helping us with our Spanish

~ Jesus ~ WOW~ what a supervisor you have there. This guy never missed a beat, and was constantly on top of everything, making sure EVERY guest was happy. He has such a great personality, so funny and so welcoming at the same time. You can tell that the place just runs so much smoother when he is working. Thank-you for all your wonderful pictures!

~ Victor and Omar at the Concierge. Omar was so on top of getting our bicycles for us, and continued to follow-up to ensure we had everything we needed. Victor, is one of a kind, so special, he arranged our anniversary dinner but also went as far as to ensure we had special music for the night and had his own personal CD's brought to the room.

I want to send out another special mention to Caesar #2, Presciliano and Diagoberto. All of these men are amazing workers as well, and so lovely in each a special way.

We used the Haman at the spa numerous times and loved it, we also participated in the Tezemecal ceremony and I am so happy we did....it has left us with memories that we remain forever.

I don't know what to say, except just GO! You will not be disappointed....just get there before the prices get too expensive, as this place can very well go for more then $500 per night. It is as good or better then Banyan Tree, Mayakoba, La Amada (The Beloved), and all the Excellence, Secrets etc.....

I look forward to them having more Bicycles, the boats for transportation among the cenote and lagoon, the art in the courtyards of the suites all working with their proper lights and water features, and some minor upgrades to paint etc when we return this spring :)

Also, one other suggestion for management: Some aroma therapy in the rooms and in the lobby etc would be wonderful (take a look at Aqua in Cancun for some ideas). Also the music around the pool and some speakers on the beach playing some Zen relaxation music would be nice. Also you need to turn the music up just a bit during the day... you could hardly hear it at all in the restaurants.

I CAN'T WAIT TO RETURN!

3 Thank DanniHalifax_NS
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Blue Diamond is this beautiful small resort where all the staff know you by name. Such a welcome change from all the huge resorts. Rooms large and beautiful . Food awesome!!! Gym and Spa great! Nobody trying to sell you a timeshare. I have never been so relaxed. if you have a chance try the temaczul. It is every Wednesday and Saturday so book ahead of time.Can"t wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Each room has an advantage Paliftios close to beach but smaller and on a lagoon, Cenote Suites on...
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We went for my husbands 50th birthday and we felt like we were royalty staying at the resort. They had us at HOLA!!
Sophia and Jesus at front reception made it so easy and comfortable to get our room and it was ready upon us arriving at 1:00 in the afternoon! We got to the room and on ice was some sparkling wine, stocked fridge and a most stunning room. We had a Patio Junior Suite with the outdoor waterpool!! is was so fabulous! Victor and Mariel the concierge were so kind and helpful, they could not do enough and were genuinely nice people. And Hugo, the Bar tender made the best Mojitos I have ever had. The Xmen at the pool side would do any drink you asked for and enjoyed conversations from all.
This was the best holiday we ever had and was so worth the extra money to have a small and relaxing resort. The resturants had some of the best food you will ever eat and enjoy. They offer a incrediable menu to choose from and the atmospher was so beautiful and chillaxing!!
I just so did not want to leave the resort but we did go into Playa del Carmen, $20 taxi ride is well worth the fair. You have to check out 5th ave, its a street of market venders and retailers, some pushy and others letting u look, but worth the visit.
We only had a short stay, so Victor recommended we go to Tulum to see the reuions and then do the snorkling with the turtles. Such a beautiful experience, Freddie the tour guide and Leo the lion the driver from Ecotours did everything they could to make the experience both fun and knowledgable. I definitely recommend Freddies tour.
I loved the pool and enjoyed the blue ocean and white sand. And the spa you could use the pools and hot tub while we stayed. So I took advantage of the spa and got a message while my husband went big game fishing.
To have a experience that made us feel like a King and Queen would only mean that it is a 5 Star resort in all the services, food and R&R!!
Muchas gracias

Room Tip: Reserve the bikes as soon as you arrive or make a note during your booking, the bikes are fun and ha...
1 Thank Lorraine R
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Lorraine, We thank you sincerely for choosing Blue Diamond Riviera Maya to celebrate your husband's birthday and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.
Warmest regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,676 reviews

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!