“Great Hotel, Great Location”
Review of The Palm at Playa

The Palm at Playa
Ranked #20 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I speak spanish, so it was easy to communicate with everyone. Some friends and I rented the 2 bedroom suite and LOVED it! The room was super clean, modern (marble floor and walk-in bathroom to die for). We fit comfortably and did not have any issues with noise. I actually fell asleep on the patio listening to the music in the distance. Location is one block from 5th Ave, the shopping strip of Playa and a short walk to the beach.

CON: No refrigerator in the room! This was a problem because we wanted to keep some cold water and buy some drinks. They probably do this so you have to purchase drinks at their bar on the rooftop (which is phenomenal!).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,686)

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Staying for a week in June, everything was perfection. Starting with front desk greeting service and a spinach/pineapple smoothie on the rocks, money exchange, room and cleaning services, as well as luncheon on the roof at the pool; all the service was beyond reproach and friendly as well. The rooms are well appointed with lovely spacious balconies, excellent linens, comfortable mattresses, large wall mounted tv perfect for watching World Cup and Wimbledon. I feel like in a suite with a kitchenette we should have had a refrigerator. I like to bring leftovers home from dinner as my appetite is never huge, and this made it difficult. However, literally everything else was beyond reproach and the property is without a doubt worth every penny for someone used to staying in luxury hotels. We had no problem, with excessive noise from the rooftop night club, and used the pool area daily ourselves. The staff on the roof took good care of our food, drink and seating needs. The gym could use a little work in terms of ensuring it stays cool enough to be functional, but it was decently appointed enough. We weren't crazy about the offerings for room service breakfast, so I suggest a tiny cafe around the corner (make two quick rights) with an excellent cook. However, room service lunch was delightful.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I just stayed here for 4 nights in a "Palm Loft" which is a large suite (600 sq ft) with a living room, kitchen-type area (no fridge), bedroom, and patio.
I booked on Travelocity and a Palm Loft was only $20/night more expensive than a 300 sq ft regular room so it was a no-brainer to get the Palm Loft. Based on other reviews I was worried about noise. One side of the hotel faces 8th Street and there is a bar that plays very loud music right across from the hotel. The other side of the hotel faces away from the street and is very quiet. Luckily I got a room on the quiet side. The bed was awesome and I slept great.
The pool-jacuzzi-bar area on the roof is amazing and I could spend entire days there.
The hotel is 1/2 block from 5th Ave and 2 minutes from the beach.
I would not recommend the hotel for a family or people who are friends because the *huge* shower area is semi-open and not private. But if you're there with your significant other and want to see them naked in the shower then its great.
The wifi was fast and reliable.
I only have two minor complaints. My girlfriend checked in with me and was a registered guest. We went to Coco Bongo and came back at 4am. The security guy and desk guy assumed that my girlfriend was a hooker and they were rude and interrogated us seperately and looked at our IDs. So I guess you could say this hotel isn't Guest Friendly. My second complaint is there is no fridge. For over $180/night there should be a fridge.
Despite my two complaints I will definitely stay here again because I loved this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jack m
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of a short stay here in the beginning of May. The hotel is in a perfect location for enjoying all Playa has to offer. We had requested a room in the back after reading the complaints of noise from the bar across the street in other reviews. Our request was honored and Rosa at the front desk could not have been more helpful and accommodating. We booked the loft room and were pleasantly surprised how nice it actually was. It was large and impeccably clean, we definitely could have fit a few extra people. Unfortunately, we never had time to utilize the rooftop pool and bar as we were out exploring. We did visit the area and it was very nice as well. The included breakfast buffet was also very nice, not 5 star but still good with a very friendly staff. The only drawback was only getting two bottles of water a day, but you were able to buy some within a two minute walk, so no great problem. We would not hesitate to return for another visit. Thanks to all the staff especially Rosa and Jesus for getting us a cab and handling all of our luggage for about 5 blocks to the waiting cab.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Letsgoblackhawks
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed for a week in January. Rooms were nice. Overpriced for what they were. We had a large suite. Outside of hotel seemed dated. Staff were accommodating. Pool bar was nice. Bar staff were ok. Good location, close to shops and restaurants. Breakfast in restaurant was terrible everyday.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CPWagner
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Great hotel, well located one street back from 5th Avenue (the restaurant and shopping boulevarde). Huge rooms, 1 bedroom with a sofa bed in the lounge. Large bathroom. No street noise at all.
Chic rooftop pool and lounge area however marred by terrible service from the staff up there.
Breakfast was quite good with a fair variety to choose from each day. Parking was included in rate. Desk staff were friendly and helpful. Overall very good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I was very very pleased with the hotel. The premises are clean and just enough of a modern touch to make you feel relaxed. The upstairs pool and bar are is breath taking, as well as the staff in this area.

The only two things I feel that would have made this experience a compete 10 is a refrigerator in the room and a well trained staff at the front desk/concierge.

I had originally booked my reservation through Expedia and upon arrival everything was ready and it was an easy check in. We were asked to pay in advance and leave a credit card number for any incidentals, which we were happy to do. The next morning we were approached by a young lady that works at the front desk to advise us we needed to pay an additional fee because they only had records of two people staying in the room when in fact three checked in. I advised the young lady I had an emailed confirmation that was absolutely reflecting three people. Pick up at the airport was arranged for three people so there was no way they had record for otherwise. After being harassed every time I walked past the front desk for payment, I finally advised them I would not be making any payment and this could and should be discussed at check out since they already had my credit card on file, it was just unnecessary to harass us. Finally at check out I asked to speak to a manager and he was amazingly helpful and after seeing our confirmation agreed that we did, in fact, reserved our hotel for a stay for three and paid accordingly.

Although the above situation was a little annoying I have to admit it didn't spoil my stay as we were hardly in the room. The hotel is in a great location and there is PLENTY of things to do, shopping, great restaurants, bars, etc. Therefore, for me this hotel was still enjoyable, minus the front desk staff

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep you may want to request the rooms facing the rear as there is a bar...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends