“Nice hotel as long as you have a room not facing the street”
Review of The Palm at Playa

The Palm at Playa
Ranked #20 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed there for 12 nights and really enjoyed our stay.
Clean, nice swimming pool, good breakfast and friendly staff.
The first night we spent our night in small room with the window facing the corridor, it was underneath the pool bar so we could hear the music that was quite loud.
But the next morning, the reception moved us to a much better and quieter room in the back of the hotel.
We really enjoyed our stay although the reception woke us up in the middle of night for an unpaid bill at the pool even if we signed it on our room. That was unnecessary, they did apologize.
The bed was amazing!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,679)

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We checked into the Palm at Playa for two nights on Feb. 14th. The room was spacious and clean but we faced an old building in the rear of the hotel. I actually requested a room in the rear based on reviews because of the noise. I'm so glad we did because I had spoke to people who stayed in the front who were not happy with the karaoke signing from the bar across the street. We were extending a stay after spend a couple nights at the Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla. When staying at the Paradisus we took the advise of this board and walked along the beach into the shopping on 5th Ave. which we loved. The Palm at Playa has a great outdoor roof pool and bar. Within a short 1 block walk your at the beach. The hotel has an agreement that allows use of the seats at Mosquito Beach club. My wife always sits in the shade and they have plenty of palm trees for shade. If your looking for a clean, safe hotel with a short distance to the happenings at 5th Ave. shopping and night life than this is the resort for you. This hotel is not a beach front resort and the price reflects that.

Room Tip: We slept great! We request a room in the back but remember it has no view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I mostly loved the hotel. The pool is incredible. It was never crowded and it's absolutely beautiful, excellent service on the rooftop as well. The location is perfect. Within a block is the most amazing beach, the best restaurants and the heart of 5th ave. And getting just that in it's price range is great.

As for negatives, the Wifi is terrible, it didn't always work and never worked in my hotel room. If you need access to the outside world, you'll be disappointed. I would have paid to get a connection in my room if it was an option.

The rooms are basic. Very clean and housekeeping did an excellent job everyday. However having stayed in Playa a dozen times, I would say it was on the more boring side for the actual rooms. They are basic, no frills rooms. We had a suite style room on the street side of the hotel. It was a little loud and I can see if you are right across from the clubs it could be unbearable, but it appears that those rooms make up maybe 10% of the hotel and when I contacted the hotel a week or so before I arrived to let them know I wanted to stay on the quite side they were very accommodating and reserved a quite room for us. After we arrived and decided to upgrade our room we did make the decision to move to the street side anyway for the larger room that was available. I was a little nervous about the switch, but overall it worked out fine and the noise wasn't an issue for us.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LynnSunshine
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I've been thinking about this review since we came back last week. I was so happy to be in great weather after the wicked winter that I don't think I cared where we stayed. Palm at Playa is a pretty nice hotel with an interesting layout, lounge area off the lobby, super (and I mean super) roof, breakfast spot via the restaurant, and friendly staff. Our room had a balcony with three chairs and a small table -- great for hanging beachwear and settling in with a book. Lots of palm trees around, obviously. The room was pretty big, two rooms: bedroom and living room with lounger (good for passing out after the beach, before heading out in the evening), a counter height bar-like table, and a kitchen sink. Two TVs, one in each room, which aren't needed. Bathroom was fine, nice shower, liked the glass. Bed was a little hard but not a problem. Liked that there was a safe. The staff were very responsive and willing to offer tips on restaurants. We realized the lock on the balcony didn't work and when I told the front desk someone called on a walkie talkie immediately. It was fixed by the time we got back from our walk. They provide beach towels. Breakfast was a buffet, better than continental. Variety of eggs and meat with beans, pastries, bagels, bread, yogurt, and fresh juices and fruit. Not much variety between mornings but a solid breakfast with enough options and it was included. A fridge would have been a nice addition. They did provide two bottles of water in the room daily. The location is super, a half block off 5th. But the bar across the street is out of control. I did bring earplugs for us though could still hear the music -- but I was so tired after beaching and walking in the sun that I passed out anyway. This might be harder to do if you're a light sleeper or have small children with you. I noticed, too, that the sound of doors closing carries significantly because the floors are tile and the walls are likely thin. There we no noise issues during the day. The sound issues didn't affect my enjoyment of the hotel or my trip overall but it is something to consider while also remembering that Playa is a partying beach town. I think that whether people like the hotel will depend on their tolerance for sound. Palm at Playa is a cute, tropical hotel that enables one to walk out the door and be in the action - 1/2 block from 5th and 1 1/2 blocks from the beach.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Allure Destinations really hooked us up with our stay at Palm at Playa Hotel & Spa. The whole family really enjoyed their stay at the hotel and we all can´t wait to go back again next year. Palm at Playa Hotel has a sprightly atmosphere which is perfect for my family as we are quite a lively bunch and our two kids have lots of energy.

The Palm at Playa Hotel & Spa has quite a young kind of feel, but not the sort of feel that makes you feel old, the one that makes you feel young again. The hotel has an out-door pool, which is awesome for catching some sun rays and having one or two or five cocktails. Right next to the pool is fancy Jacuzzi which seems to be a popular place to hang out and get to know the fellow guests.
We as a family like to get out and about to see the sites and check out what the local culture has to offer, so it was useful that the Palm at Playa Hotel & Spa is located right in the center of Playa Del Carmen. There really are some great restaurants and bars in Playa and I am sure that there are many more great ones that we didn't get the opportunity to enjoy.

We were really lucky with the weather, as we met another family who arrived a week earlier and they told us that it pretty much rained nonstop. Though for the week that we were there, there was not a cloud in the sky, which is impressive for the Caribbean.
Thanks to Allure Destinations for organizing everything and taking the time to take care of all the small details that make a vacation hassle-free.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 573billyh
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We were just on Playa del Carmen for BPM and we had an amazing time, the rooms are really nice, breakfast was delicious, really nice bathrooms with glass shower, good price and the best was the roof top.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed here for 9 days in January/February. This was exactly what we were looking for. We wanted a modern hotel with an excellent pool close to 5th Avenue. This hotel was built approximately 1 year ago and has very nice modern styling (and my wife is an interior designer and she loved it!). The pool is ridiculous--absolutely beautiful--and the view from the rooftop is amazing. You have a panoramic view of the ocean, including Cozumel, as well as all of Playa. We didn't miss a day of pool time and one day we stayed out there for around 6 hours. so perfect. And, it was half a block off 5th, right in the middle. We loved our daily breakfasts at their restaurant and strongly recommend the nachos and/or the classic ceviche when you're lounging by the pool.

As others have mentioned, there is music. It honestly didn't affect us at all. I think it only played late one saturday that we were there. We are young with no kids though and liked the vibe of the hotel...and the music adds to that vibe.

This hotel was exactly what we were looking for. I'm so glad I found it. And the guys at the restaurant...Fabio and the others...top knotch. If I go to Playa again, this will be the first place I try to book.

Room Tip: I got a room on the side opposite the lobby and restaurant. It was likely quieter on that side if t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple